VN Ren'Py Not Going Back [Ch.2.1] [Cicada]

4.20 star(s) 6 Votes

MiltonPowers

Forum Fanatic
Jul 26, 2023
Just quoting both of these as they're both relevant.

So, earlier I said early-mid July would be possible. This, evidently, was wrong. I am, however, onto the final scene for the chapter. This will take probably 1-2 weeks. Then I've just got to finish any postwork, and make sure the game, yknow, works correctly. In it's current state I can play through the whole chapter, it's just the images that are missing, but I want to make sure everything set up, particularly because in this chapter there's already a decent amount of branching (mostly conversation based, nothing too dramatic, but coding wise they kinda all add up the same).

I was way off with my last two guesses as to when it'd be done, disappointingly. And I don't want to start being that guy who keeps failing to deliver on deadlines, even if they're estimates. If you want me to be incredibly optimistic, I would say before the end of July, but we've seen how that kinda guess has gone so far. So I'll just say it's coming soon (all likelihood in August).

And then yeah, for anyone interested in the game who haven't got round to it yet, wait until ch2's out and have a go then. Not only is ch2 such a dramatic increase in quality for the most part from ch1 (there's still some areas where it's not great visually, owing to my very limited ability), it's also ended up over double the size.

So, while it disappointing to me it's taking this long still, I'm confident in saying it's been worth it. Looking back, ch1 feels almost more like a proof of concept. It was always basically just the introduction, a little foreshadowing, nothing too crazy. But, to me, from a storytelling perspective, which is what this game will always focus on, ch2 is just so much better. So much more happens, so much more is set up to happen, and I'm really excited to get on to the things I know are coming. I keep planning ahead and writing for future chapters, fleshing the story out, and am looking forward to getting there.

I'm adding a bunch of previews here for anyone who's read this far. Not long now. Thanks to all being patient.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I don't know about others, but I appreciate the communication. If takes a month longer than your original estimate, I'm ok, as long as you keep us in the loop (which you do). Much better than just going MIA. I really enjoyed Chapter 1 and look forward to Chapter 2. Best wishes.

Hey Dessolos, see the comments from the Dev.

Hotkillerz

May 1, 2017
Just quoting both of these as they're both relevant.

So, earlier I said early-mid July would be possible. This, evidently, was wrong. I am, however, onto the final scene for the chapter. This will take probably 1-2 weeks. Then I've just got to finish any postwork, and make sure the game, yknow, works correctly. In it's current state I can play through the whole chapter, it's just the images that are missing, but I want to make sure everything set up, particularly because in this chapter there's already a decent amount of branching (mostly conversation based, nothing too dramatic, but coding wise they kinda all add up the same).

I was way off with my last two guesses as to when it'd be done, disappointingly. And I don't want to start being that guy who keeps failing to deliver on deadlines, even if they're estimates. If you want me to be incredibly optimistic, I would say before the end of July, but we've seen how that kinda guess has gone so far. So I'll just say it's coming soon (all likelihood in August).

And then yeah, for anyone interested in the game who haven't got round to it yet, wait until ch2's out and have a go then. Not only is ch2 such a dramatic increase in quality for the most part from ch1 (there's still some areas where it's not great visually, owing to my very limited ability), it's also ended up over double the size.

So, while it disappointing to me it's taking this long still, I'm confident in saying it's been worth it. Looking back, ch1 feels almost more like a proof of concept. It was always basically just the introduction, a little foreshadowing, nothing too crazy. But, to me, from a storytelling perspective, which is what this game will always focus on, ch2 is just so much better. So much more happens, so much more is set up to happen, and I'm really excited to get on to the things I know are coming. I keep planning ahead and writing for future chapters, fleshing the story out, and am looking forward to getting there.

I'm adding a bunch of previews here for anyone who's read this far. Not long now. Thanks to all being patient.

You know I'm going to be the guy that's ask is chater 3 in pre stage ?

cicadaNGB

Apr 28, 2023
cicadaNGB When you upload a new version or update, do you know if Itch.io notifies the users who downloaded it from there?
To be honest, I'm not sure, but I don't think so. As far as I can tell you can add the game to a collection (but I don't know if that would give a notification when it updates, some people have collections with 1000s of games, that'd be a lot of notifications) or follow my profile (but I also don't think that would give notifications on updates because I don't know how it's all linked).
The one thing that makes me think there might be some sort of notification, though, is when I post devlogs on itch they get views at a rate which makes me assume some sort of notification's going out (a lot at first, decreasing over time, instead of randomly as people browse the game).
I just searched it up actually and it seems like it's linked to following the account. Apparently that's what gives notis for dev log stuff. Not sure about actual game release/update notis still though.

You know I'm going to be the guy that's ask is chater 3 in pre stage ?
Sorry, not sure what you mean here

DarhkBlu

Apr 19, 2020
The main 8 LI seem to actually be Mia, Ellie, Imogen, Alice, Rachel, The Blonde we made eyes with but no name yet, Bobbie and last Teagan.... The 8 are in the pics on the main page under the links.....duh!

I start off with saying this is a very welcome change from the usual trash and this 1st look is very promising if it it keeps this quality of work overall consistently. That is the main thing with tons of these, they seem to go down in quality very fast and get rushed so heres to one going steady til all 11 episodes hit! Good luck dev!

I'm gonna go off of real life experience with my 1st choice so far Mia and for all the reasons listed above I am the opposite and letem fuckin want or try all they can and want. Fuck all who isn't Mia or myself as mc, I never have n never will give a shit bout gossip or bs talk from a dork stalker or a hoe of a chic and especially some douche runnin his gums bout his make believe conquest that was his wet dreams, that's what that is and I don't give 2 shits how many thirsty fucks male or female want my main chic Mia, if others are really gonna effect you that much good luck with being with any female that is hot or popular. Mia is only thing I am seeing and actually will take what she has shown and she is the one making it clear she is coming after mc. No matter what she isn't my gf so why care if she did anything honestly and til we were offical in some way mc has no reason but to keep it movin with options, not dwell on rumors! If you let others effect your choices whe it comes to a girl you don't deserve her or anyone cause you are a douche that will be quick to only be gettin with lefty and righty not any pussy.
So is one of those girls you named the ginger from the banner/some of the screenshots?Haven't played yet so thats why I'm asking.

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
Thanks friend,Whenever there is a game with no Harem and Main and non Main Li I have to know if a ginger is a Main Li.
a man of culture I see. Yeah I perfer gingers over a hot LI with red hair when it comes to looks / appearance but Milton boy has slowly been making me more of a blonde lover I feel like. At least it feels like I been liking blondes more as of late as they just happen to be the better character lately for me. Then Miltonboy keeps pointing me to games with lots of blondes haha

• Haha
Reactions: DarhkBlu

MiltonPowers

Forum Fanatic
Jul 26, 2023
Thanks friend,Whenever there is a game with no Harem and Main and non Main Li I have to know if a ginger is a Main Li if there are any gingers that is.
The girl far left on banner - Alice - is also a redhead (just very dark red).

MiltonPowers

Forum Fanatic
Jul 26, 2023
a man of culture I see. Yeah I perfer gingers over a hot LI with red hair when it comes to looks / appearance but Milton boy has slowly been making me more of a blonde lover I feel like. At least it feels like I been liking blondes more as of late as they just happen to be the better character lately for me. Then Miltonboy keeps pointing me to games with lots of blondes haha
I like all colors. ;) But it does seem like there is more blondes in my top girls than brunettes, blacks & reds. :ROFLMAO: Guess I have to own it.

Hotkillerz

May 1, 2017
To be honest, I'm not sure, but I don't think so. As far as I can tell you can add the game to a collection (but I don't know if that would give a notification when it updates, some people have collections with 1000s of games, that'd be a lot of notifications) or follow my profile (but I also don't think that would give notifications on updates because I don't know how it's all linked).
The one thing that makes me think there might be some sort of notification, though, is when I post devlogs on itch they get views at a rate which makes me assume some sort of notification's going out (a lot at first, decreasing over time, instead of randomly as people browse the game).
I just searched it up actually and it seems like it's linked to following the account. Apparently that's what gives notis for dev log stuff. Not sure about actual game release/update notis still though.

Sorry, not sure what you mean here
I mean. Have you planed any of chapter 4 out yet?

cicadaNGB

Apr 28, 2023
I mean. Have you planed any of chapter 4 out yet?
Ah right. Yeah, so everything up to the end of chapter 6 has been pretty much fully planned out. Quite a lot of it is already written (not coded though). For the chapters after that I know where they start and end, but I haven't fully mapped out what exactly will happen in them.

But yeah. I know everything that's going to happen in ch3, 4, 5, 6. I might add some things as I make the chapters, but the structure for each of them is already planned.

Reactions: Hotkillerz

cicadaNGB

Apr 28, 2023
Cross posting from the itch devlog. This is the one people have been waiting for.

Hello!

After a regrettably long time, I am pleased to say that Chapter 2 of Not Going Back is almost ready. I have finished rendering everything* for the chapter, and just need to go through the game as thoroughly as possible to make sure there's no errors, spelling mistakes, issues with images, etc. (* I may need to re-render an image or two as I go through the game if there's any mistakes that have so far gone under the radar).

So, what this means is that I am now able to announce a release date for Chapter 2.

Chapter 2 of Not Going Back will be released on the 20th of August (exact time unconfirmable).

This has been a long time coming, and I am very grateful for anyone who has been patient with me, as well as any new people who will be trying the game out for the first time with this release. I'm hopeful that Chapter 3 will take less time to come out. Most of all, though, I hope that the you will enjoy the chapter. For me, it's such a step forward from Chapter 1 in pretty much every way, so I really hope that those of you who liked Chapter 1 will like this second instalment even more.

There have been minor changes to Chapter 1 as a result of some feedback, but you won't need to do a re-playthrough as the changes are not fundamental to the story or coding (although as most people probably played the game many, many months ago I wouldn't be surprised if some decided to just go from the start again to refresh the memory).

Thanks!

anon280

Nov 11, 2017
After a regrettably long time, I am pleased to say that Chapter 2 of Not Going Back is almost ready. I have finished rendering everything* for the chapter, and just need to go through the game as thoroughly as possible to make sure there's no errors, spelling mistakes, issues with images, etc. (* I may need to re-render an image or two as I go through the game if there's any mistakes that have so far gone under the radar).
if you want help with playtesting, i'm down (your inbox is locked on f95 so had to message here). i've playtested VNs in the past

cicadaNGB

Apr 28, 2023
Hello!

Chapter 2 is now available for free on itch. Don't know the process for getting the files updated here, so if someone more experienced on the forum would be able to put a request in or whatever to help other people out who only download the files from here that'd be cool. But either way it's a free download on itch in the meantime.

I'm hoping everything's working well, but inevitably I feel something may have or might go wrong because, while the initial release was smooth, I've never updated a game before so I won't really know if everything has gone smoothly until I start getting people telling me about any issues. Hopefully there won't be many, but we will see.

The final number for the render count of Chapter 2 was over 3300. So, while it has taken me over a whole damn year to finish this, I'd like to think there's a decent amount of stuff in this update. Enough to justify a year long dev cycle? Fuck no, but I'm hoping to improve my efficiency going forward.

As I think I've said a few times now, Chapter 2 feels like a big step up from Chapter 1. It's by no means perfect, I still have some limitations on what I can and can't do, and have a lot to learn, but I'm very happy with how the chapter has turned out.

Thanks everyone for your patience. Hope you enjoy the update.

Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
Hello!

Chapter 2 is now available for free on itch. Don't know the process for getting the files updated here, so if someone more experienced on the forum would be able to put a request in or whatever to help other people out who only download the files from here that'd be cool. But either way it's a free download on itch in the meantime.

I'm hoping everything's working well, but inevitably I feel something may have or might go wrong because, while the initial release was smooth, I've never updated a game before so I won't really know if everything has gone smoothly until I start getting people telling me about any issues. Hopefully there won't be many, but we will see.

The final number for the render count of Chapter 2 was over 3300. So, while it has taken me over a whole damn year to finish this, I'd like to think there's a decent amount of stuff in this update. Enough to justify a year long dev cycle? Fuck no, but I'm hoping to improve my efficiency going forward.

As I think I've said a few times now, Chapter 2 feels like a big step up from Chapter 1. It's by no means perfect, I still have some limitations on what I can and can't do, and have a lot to learn, but I'm very happy with how the chapter has turned out.

Thanks everyone for your patience. Hope you enjoy the update.
You can post dl links here and report your own post like update.

4.20 star(s) 6 Votes