Apr 28, 2020
Just wait until the Dev makes the new update public
This won't happen, Dev doesn't open new updates to the public anymore, it remains to wait for the new version to be leaked, this game certainly has a good distribution system, 20 euros on potreon or 15 dollars on itch, I would already buy the game myself if I could, but payment is simply not accepted from my country, so it remains to wait for the pirated version.

Reactions: Anonymous100

Anonymous100

Jul 7, 2017
Just wait until the Dev makes the new update public
The dev won't make the update public and has already offered a reasonable explanation for it. So, maybe, get to know about stuff before suggesting a solution to it. Second, thanks for your post in the other side even if its a "-1" cause that helps the thread stay active and get noticed by the staff team. :p

This won't happen, Dev doesn't open new updates to the public anymore, it remains to wait for the new version to be leaked, this game certainly has a good distribution system, 20 euros on potreon or 15 dollars on itch, I would already buy the game myself if I could, but payment is simply not accepted from my country, so it remains to wait for the pirated version.
Kind of a similar situation here and lets not forget currency conversion rates can be harsh for third world countries. Anyway, good luck to the dev. This is a quality game. I hope the itch algorithm is much kinder to this game with the new update policy. The game deserves to be a massive hit.

Reactions: SteveНandjobs
Apr 28, 2020
It would be nice if the game would be released on steam, for example, in early access and that it would be updated at the same time as the itch version.

Mikey_Boy101

Nov 8, 2020
The dev won't make the update public and has already offered a reasonable explanation for it. So, maybe, get to know about stuff before suggesting a solution to it. Second, thanks for your post in the other side even if its a "-1" cause that helps the thread stay active and get noticed by the staff team. :p
Now that you mentioned that I vaguely remember the dev made a post on that issue. Do you happened to remember the post number or the reason why he isn’t making it public?

Apr 28, 2020
Now that you mentioned that I vaguely remember the dev made a post on that issue. Do you happened to remember the post number or the reason why he isn’t making it public?
I also vaguely remember that something is connected with algorithms, it seems like the game is moving better this way.

MrSilverLust

MSL Games
Game Developer
May 22, 2021
I opened a game request thread for the new update. Leave a "+1" here if you are waiting for the new update too:
https://f95zone.to/threads/nothing-is-forever-v0-5-1-mrsilverlust.135996/
On one hand, I feel a bit disappointed that the fans of this game can’t use the search function of this website and instead keep creating new threads in the game requests subsection. We’re already on the third thread, and people keep posting on 2 of them! I'm not sure, but it would probably help your case to have a single thread with +20 replies instead of 3 with less than 10.

On the other hand, this is clearly my fault for trying to answer most of your questions, even if they have been asked before, instead of teaching you all to use the search bar… in what is clearly an evil plot on my part to undermine your chances of cooperating into pirating my content :devilish: :p

To anyone else interested, there you go.
(see, everyone? there’s no need to even remember there’s a search bar in the upper right corner)

Technically speaking, it’s just €5 on patreon to download the most recent version (and it’ll be just 2€ in one week). It’s just that, once anyone reaches €20 of total contribution on Patreon, they get an itch key. Which means they’ll be able to keep downloading and playing the most recent version of the game even if they stop being patrons. Which seems fair.

Anonymous100

Jul 7, 2017
There's already two different request threads and I'm sure people are aware of this game by now. I guess it doesn't matter much, but I don't see the point of linking one of the request threads in the dev's thread. It will probably be leaked on here within a few more days regardless.
The point was to make people aware of the thread. There's a lot of people (me included) that don't take a look at the game requests thread unless you link it in the relevant games' thread (speaking from experience of creating such threads and not linking them in main threads). Also, in my opinion, it's a more effective approach than searching for heroes in the main game thread again and again.

Reactions: Pede rasta 1

bolondro2

Oct 12, 2018
I have just finished my first run of this game. A "John Wayne" run, honourable and manly (200 to 80-90 snake and sensible). V 4.1

This game it´s in the second page of weighted score of this site. That makes it a really underrated game. An unusual and well thought mechanics (all the skills tree stuff), characters that behave like human beings, lot of control about how the MC behaves. The psychological stuff that the games use it´s not a piece of bs, goes from real stuff to good enough for governmental work and having chess stuff it´s a real extra.

Minor complains. A chess rating of 2500 would put Jen not as a rising star, but as one of the top 15 female players in the world, well above of the strongest US (2430), GB (2355), Germany (2460) or France (2430) female player . It´s a right rating for a rising star male players (10th US under 20 is 2501). Making her struggling for a Woman Grand Master title (2300 rating) should be more realistic and would put her in the top 5 under 20 US female players. And yes, I know that most of the players don´t care a shit about this complain, but it buggers me.

This, and Lea going to a walk on the forest with heels., are the only "buts" I can think about this game.

Last edited:

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Minor complains. A chess rating of 2500 would put Jen not as a rising star, but as one of the top 15 female players in the world, well above of the strongest US (2430), GB (2355), Germany (2460) or France (2430) female player . It´s a right rating for a rising star male players (10th US under 20 is 2501). Making her struggling for a Woman Grand Master title (2300 rating) should be more realistic and would put her in the top 5 under 20 US female players. And yes, I know that most of the players don´t care a shit about this complain, but it buggers me.
Oh perfect! I'm sure Mr Silver Lust will make this correction, thanks for the feedback (y)

Reactions: EndlessNights

EndlessNights

Jun 18, 2022
That sound it´s my Sarcasm detector beeping?????
Nah, I think your sarcasm detector might just need a new battery. Osanaiko is a volunteer tester/proofreader for Nothing Is Forever so I bet the information you provided really will get incorporated into the game. Good job!! We can only hope Jen will have an easier time at the tournaments now that her rating has been sorted out.

Jun 2, 2022
It was very close to a common form of sarcastic response, so no new battery needed. It was a super-enthusiatic response to a nitpicky correction and very often that contrast (plus "sure") is sarcasm.

Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
No sarcasm intended, I genuinely appreciate the help. I can't speak for MrSL but personally I like getting such details correct.
That is right, it might be for many Nif players just a small thing, but with an ELO number of 2500+ you are mentionable! You are slowly coming into the range of the iconic players like Tarrasch, Lasker, Aljeschin, Euwe, Karpow, Anand, Capablanca, Kasparov, Murphy, St.-Armand, Anderssen or Fischer to name a couple.
Her struggles make more sense if they are for Grand Master level than this. If your ELO is on such a high level as 2500+, your problems are definitely of another kind.:)

MrSilverLust

MSL Games
Game Developer
May 22, 2021

I think the story works better if she’s playing against men, especially in the femdom paths where there is a component of fetishizing women being superior to men. I confess that I lack a good feeling of what rating would a rising star have and whatnot, I just based her ranking on the rules to obtain the title of Grand Master.

Grandmaster (GM) - three norms and an Elo of 2500:
An Elo rating of at least 2500 at any point in their career (although they need not maintain this level to obtain or keep the title)
[Among other rulesm to get a norm] The player's rating performance at the end of the tournament must be at least 2600.
There are only 39 female chess players in the world who hold the title of Grandmaster (GM), so, if Jen gets it she would be on the very top of female chess players.

Streamer: "Jen was a great player when she was younger, she even got her rank over 2500 when she was around 16 years old,(…)”

Jen: "But since that was when I had just turned 18, I was also starting college at the same time. In this very same university actually."
Jen: "Let's just say things did not go so well."
Jen: "I blew up my chess rating, and didn't even finish the first semester at college. My self-esteem took a real hit..."

So, the idea is that she went over 2500 when she was 15/16 (satisfying the rating criteria to get the GM title), being that her peak rating, but then, at 18, “blew up” her rating. Which was left vague to try to avoid giving too many details and potentially creating plot holes. But you can imagine that, at the current time, she’s like 2300-2400.

Now, is it too unrealistic that a chess prodigy teenager passes 2500 ( but never gets 3 norms, only 2), to then face some mental health issues that takes her away from chess, until she tries to come back at 21 to get the GM tittle? I’ll be honest, I have no idea. But it sounds at least plausible to me.

but with an ELO number of 2500+ you are mentionable! You are slowly coming into the range of the iconic players like Tarrasch, Lasker, Aljeschin, Euwe, Karpow, Anand, Capablanca, Kasparov, Murphy, St.-Armand, Anderssen or Fischer to name a couple.
Her struggles make more sense if they are for Grand Master level than this. If your ELO is on such a high level as 2500+, your problems are definitely of another kind.:)
With this I tend to disagree more. While that rating would place her at the top of women chess, she’d be “nobody” in the whole chess world. I mean, the top players today (equivalent to the ones you mentioned) are all in the top 2700 and some (14 of them), have even crossed the 2800 rating at some point. A difference of 300 rating points is huge.

A rating of 2500 places you in the 720 top players in the world. I follow chess casually, but I’ve never heard of Baldauf, Marco, Schoppen, Casper or Speelman, Jon S, thee european players with a rating of 2500. And, remember, Jen’s current rating is lower than that.

Of course this is different for women. A current rating of 2400 would place Jen in the top 50 women in the world. Which might be exaggerated, I don’t know. But it’s not like you can tell me more than 5 female chess players, can you? Would you have heard of some top 50 women chess player, even if 5 years ago she had been top 15?

We should also not forget that she’s being invited to open tournaments every month and received a chess scholarship. How good do you have to be to earn yourself one of these?

I don’t know, I’ll concede that some of this might be unrealistic, but I’m not convinced that it isn’t at least plausible, as in, in a parallel universe, it could have happened. No?

And, all things considered, I think it makes for a better story to have her playing against men in “top” tournaments, struggling to get the Grand Master tittle, instead of in “lower” tournaments (or even against women) . I mean, she doesn’t have to be a Beth Harmon (or a Polgar sister), but it seems reasonable to follow the story of someone that’s trying to enter in the top 700 of chess players.

(Moreover, I like showing great games played by the likes of Carlsen, Kasparov or Paul Morphy. It would also be a kind of plot hole have such a “weak” 2300 player perform such games).

This, and Lea going to a walk on the forest with heels., are the only "buts" I can think about this game.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I’ve also notice it. In my defense, it wasn’t “a forest”, it was just a nearby trail walk near a river/shore. But yeah.

Last edited:

bolondro2

Oct 12, 2018
No sarcasm intended, I genuinely appreciate the help. I can't speak for MrSL but personally I like getting such details correct.
Happy to hear it!. Sometimes things that are obvious face to face are not so obvious through a keyboard, and also, not being a native English speaker, it´s not easy to navigate trough the second meanings, or implicit things, both reading and writing.

Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
With this I tend to disagree more. While that rating would place her at the top of women chess, she’d be “nobody” in the whole chess world. I mean, the top players today (equivalent to the ones you mentioned) are all in the top 2700 and some (14 of them), have even crossed the 2800 rating at some point. A difference of 300 rating points is huge.

A rating of 2500 places you in the 720 top players in the world. I follow chess casually, but I’ve never heard of Baldauf, Marco, Schoppen, Casper or Speelman, Jon S, thee european players with a rating of 2500. And, remember, Jen’s current rating is lower than that.
Hi! I think we are talking around each other on this. My point is not some unrealism, but the kind/type of problems she has. The ones depicted would fit more for struggles for GM level IMO than for someone above the 2500. Her reaching this point and crawling up the scale even further, begins to make her defintely known, esp. since she is at the top level of the women´s game. The type of problems change, in special those coming in from the outside, she is a rising star and it is our task to get her up. And not like Morphy up. He burned very brightly, but nearly as short as bright. The poor sod died early and mentally in a bad place.
Something we should not copy with her. It is better to get towards the standing of e.g. Tarrasch and Lasker. Tarrasch´s resting place in Munich has special engravings as the "Präceptor Germaniae" of Chess and Lasker is in Germany´s Sports Hall of Fame.

bolondro2

Oct 12, 2018
Now, is it too unrealistic that a chess prodigy teenager passes 2500 ( but never gets 3 norms, only 2), to then face some mental health issues that takes her away from chess, until she tries to come back at 21 to get the GM tittle? I’ll be honest, I have no idea. But it sounds at least plausible to me.
This ratings are perfectly plausible for a chess male player. And not impossible for a female one, but only if your name it´s Judit Polgard.

There are a very big gap in performance between male players and female players. How much of this it´s Nature and how much Nurture it´s open to debate.

If Jen have peaked at 2500+, she would not be a "promising young player" She would be the "current US woman Chess Champion". And, in fact, if after his meltdown she lost 200 elo points (and that´s a really really really huge lose), she would be still one of the top 10 US female players, so she would not, by far, struggling to get a Chess scholarship, she would have a cue of offers begging her to accept.

That´s the big inconsistence point, the Chess Scholarship. You can be 2500 elo or be struggling for a Chess scholarship, not both.

The Current US Woman chess Champion is Jennifer Yu. Two times US Champion (2019 and 2022). Fide Master and 2.345 ranking

Female US Chess ranking

Female US under 20 Chess ranking

And just to be clear. That´s a really minor nitpicking point that don´t detract any merit to your excellent game that I´m enjoying a lot.

Last edited:
4.60 star(s) 163 Votes