Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
1667660356894.png

For anyone not looking at what chess played online means for the chess community,
one player rage quit over another player using some moves, just shut his camera and
went AWOL. Then that chess player accused the othe one of cheating on the computer.
Chess players are whiny little shits with little account of being any better with people than
any ten year old ”prodigy” who thinks beating someone at chess makes them better overall.

This story is about a girl who has the know how on the board, but lacks almost all people
skills, you know, those that get you sponsors and actually win you schoolarships.
I think the story works better if she’s playing against men, especially in the femdom paths where there is a component of fetishizing women being superior to men. I confess that I lack a good feeling of what rating would a rising star have and whatnot, I just based her ranking on the rules to obtain the title of Grand Master.

There are only 39 female chess players in the world who hold the title of Grandmaster (GM), so, if Jen gets it she would be on the very top of female chess players.

Streamer: "Jen was a great player when she was younger, she even got her rank over 2500 when she was around 16 years old,(…)”

Jen: "But since that was when I had just turned 18, I was also starting college at the same time. In this very same university actually."
Jen: "Let's just say things did not go so well."
Jen: "I blew up my chess rating, and didn't even finish the first semester at college. My self-esteem took a real hit..."

So, the idea is that she went over 2500 when she was 15/16 (satisfying the rating criteria to get the GM title), being that her peak rating, but then, at 18, “blew up” her rating. Which was left vague to try to avoid giving too many details and potentially creating plot holes. But you can imagine that, at the current time, she’s like 2300-2400.

Now, is it too unrealistic that a chess prodigy teenager passes 2500 ( but never gets 3 norms, only 2), to then face some mental health issues that takes her away from chess, until she tries to come back at 21 to get the GM tittle? I’ll be honest, I have no idea. But it sounds at least plausible to me.

With this I tend to disagree more. While that rating would place her at the top of women chess, she’d be “nobody” in the whole chess world. I mean, the top players today (equivalent to the ones you mentioned) are all in the top 2700 and some (14 of them), have even crossed the 2800 rating at some point. A difference of 300 rating points is huge.

A rating of 2500 places you in the 720 top players in the world. I follow chess casually, but I’ve never heard of Baldauf, Marco, Schoppen, Casper or Speelman, Jon S, thee european players with a rating of 2500. And, remember, Jen’s current rating is lower than that.

Of course this is different for women. A current rating of 2400 would place Jen in the top 50 women in the world. Which might be exaggerated, I don’t know. But it’s not like you can tell me more than 5 female chess players, can you? Would you have heard of some top 50 women chess player, even if 5 years ago she had been top 15?

We should also not forget that she’s being invited to open tournaments every month and received a chess scholarship. How good do you have to be to earn yourself one of these?

I don’t know, I’ll concede that some of this might be unrealistic, but I’m not convinced that it isn’t at least plausible, as in, in a parallel universe, it could have happened. No?

And, all things considered, I think it makes for a better story to have her playing against men in “top” tournaments, struggling to get the Grand Master tittle, instead of in “lower” tournaments (or even against women) . I mean, she doesn’t have to be a Beth Harmon (or a Polgar sister), but it seems reasonable to follow the story of someone that’s trying to enter in the top 700 of chess players.

(Moreover, I like showing great games played by the likes of Carlsen, Kasparov or Paul Morphy. It would also be a kind of plot hole have such a “weak” 2300 player perform such games).

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I’ve also notice it. In my defense, it wasn’t “a forest”, it was just a nearby trail walk near a river/shore. But yeah.
This ratings are perfectly plausible for a chess male player. And not impossible for a female one, but only if your name it´s Judit Polgard.

There are a very big gap in performance between male players and female players. How much of this it´s Nature and how much Nurture it´s open to debate.

If Jen have peaked at 2500+, she would not be a "promising young player" She would be the "current US woman Chess Champion". And, in fact, if after his meltdown she lost 200 elo points (and that´s a really really really huge lose), she would be still one of the top 10 US female players, so she would not, by far, struggling to get a Chess scholarship, she would have a cue of offers begging her to accept.

That´s the big inconsistence point, the Chess Scholarship. You can be 2500 elo or be struggling for a Chess scholarship, not both.

The Current US Woman chess Champion is Jennifer Yu. Two times US Champion (2019 and 2022). Fide Master and 2.345 ranking

Female US Chess ranking

Female US under 20 Chess ranking

And just to be clear. That´s a really minor nitpicking point that don´t detract any merit to your excellent game that I´m enjoying a lot.
Just like Dr. Strange kicked spiderman out after finding out he did not even go talk to the school for his schoolarship, this chess ”prodigy” waiting for schools to go drop money
in her lap for no reason what so ever is more childish than anything.

This game works, it is about a girl who is afraid to face her duties with any dignity,
blames everything on anyone else but her and thinks she knows a thing or two about
the world by playing chess - she does not.

MC has a ton of work to get her mind straight and intergrate her chess mind into actually living in this world and making a career outta her skill. Careers need work.

Last edited:
Reactions: selberdreher

bolondro2

Oct 12, 2018
Another problem I´m getting with this game (blessed problem!) it´s that I have just finished my 2nd big run (snake-cat) my numbers of saves it´s going above the roof to the sky.

It´s the crush option of the 1st chapter important enough to deserve runs of more-or less the same but just changing the crush?

Frosty2000

Nov 16, 2017
Another problem I´m getting with this game (blessed problem!) it´s that I have just finished my 2nd big run (snake-cat) my numbers of saves it´s going above the roof to the sky.

It´s the crush option of the 1st chapter important enough to deserve runs of more-or less the same but just changing the crush?
It only changes some dialogue during one scene I think. Besides that it gives you a free skill from the blue (cat) skill branch. So it doesn't put you into different branches of the story and is therefore not that important.

Reactions: EndlessNights

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
It only changes some dialogue during one scene I think. Besides that it gives you a free skill from the blue (cat) skill branch. So it doesn't put you into different branches of the story and is therefore not that important.
bolondro2 for your information as well:

The "Crush" choice has various effects in later chapters for each possible choice.

One example would be the discussion on the pier with Olivia before she goes night-swimming. You've been discussing whether Olivia thinks she will ever have a long term relationship, and she expresses that she has never stayed in one place/with the same guy as long as she has currently. The normal option is "I hope you decide to stay even longer", but if you picked her as your crush you get to say "It's really nice to have you around" and get to see a little bit more dialogue.

So most of the effects are just dialogue variations. However, if I remember correctly from my testing, there are maybe 2 places where your get an extra possibility of having a certain dialogue choice appear even if you do not have the other required previous decisions for that character.

In summary, the Crush choice is not super significant.

An additional peek behind the curtain: nearly every choice in the game gets recorded in the save file. Not every choice has a later effect as that would be cost-prohibitive in developing and testing all the different variations. However, MrSilverLust sometimes surprises me by referring to decisions made several chapters previously to give small dialogue variations. A larger example of how all the past decisions are used to influence play is how the status of MC's relationship with Emma is determined - the logic statements to decide what path you are on are just as complex as their in-story relationship!

Last edited:

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
The music during the first Emma scene slaps. Does anyone have a list of the songs used in the game? Or that song in particular?
Main menu has this with links to all the CC0 / Public Domain music:
1667706183908.png

Regarding the music for a specific scene, I can look it up in the scripts, but which one specifically do you mean? The first time MC speaks with Emma in game? or the first H scene (the hatefuck)? If you could give me a line of dialogue to search for... (Or MrSL will drop in and tell us soon enough :) )

mercedes2021sclass

Aug 29, 2021
Main menu has this with links to all the CC0 / Public Domain music:
View attachment 2150194

Regarding the music for a specific scene, I can look it up in the scripts, but which one specifically do you mean? The first time MC speaks with Emma in game? or the first H scene (the hatefuck)? If you could give me a line of dialogue to search for... (Or MrSL will drop in and tell us soon enough :) )
That should be plenty of information, thanks for the help. I'm such a dumbass.

Reactions: osanaiko

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
I'm curious about the dialogue percentage people have. You can see it under Options. Mine is 79%. I feel like I'm missing a lot but maybe it's around normal?
I have 81% but I'm not sure how that's possibly given I've read and re-read all the dialogue multiple times. Unless the jumping around using developer commands has caused it to not record blocks properly?

Anyway, it's certainly not going to be possible to get 100% in a single playthrough as there are many mutually exclusive scenes, such as the interaction with Emma at the party in Chapter 1 where you can go dominant or submissive. Similarly your choices with Kim, Lea and Deb will lead to different variations of scenes, or the skipping of entire events if you are not on the specific path. Finally, there are a lot of small text variations based on previous choices, so getting to 100% would be very tedious.

Last edited:

Frosty2000

Nov 16, 2017
I'm curious about the dialogue percentage people have. You can see it under Options. Mine is 79%. I feel like I'm missing a lot but maybe it's around normal?
79% is a lot. I am at 68%. I am going after all love interests, but only on the sub path. So it's quite clear to me which part I am missing.

Reactions: Vleder

Vleder

Dec 14, 2020
Interesting... I got 64% by the end of this chapter: crushing on Lea, falling for Jen (Jen's path), "dommed" Deb (if that's a thing) but tidied her house the best I could, helped Lea and Bri, pushed every button on Emma, hugged Olivia (what a nice hug), barked at Kim every time she opened her mouth and tried hard to keep up with all the chess moves (but failed miserably!). o_O

Mister_M

Engaged Member
Apr 2, 2018
I'm focusing on sub content and Bri (plus sub Kim on different playthrough), don't play dom and didn't try starting relationships with Jen and Olivia and quickly backed off from Lea. Seems like sub content with Emma, Deb, Kim and all there is with Bri amounts - with unavoidable everyday scenes - to approx. 50% of the game.

Reactions: Vleder

MrSilverLust

MSL Games
Game Developer
May 22, 2021
I’m not sure if that percentage is that accurate at the moment. For one, the way it’s done is that it calculates the number of lines of dialogue you’ve seen in-game, and divides them by the number of total lines (and then multiplied by 100 to get a percentage value). This is for the whole game, not just the latest chapter.

The thing is, each time an update changes a previous line due to proofreading (even if it’s just a comma or whatever), renpy interprets it as a new line not seen before. And osanaiko changes a lot of lines during proofreading, in between updates… so your percentage will decrease after an update just thanks to the changed lines, even if, technically, you've played that scene before.

Basically, that value is the percentage of lines that will be skipped when you hold control, versus the total number of lines in the game.

Also:

It seems like skip isn't saved between updates, so I have to go through some of the text again, but that seems to be only one time.
Was skip not working just with the proofread lines or for everything? For example, could you skip the tutorial or the first chapter? Also, is the play time below that percentage accurate for all the time you spent with the game, or just after the latest update?

I updated the renpy version I use to compile the game and I’m not sure if that didn’t reset your previous data. The game might be thinking you have never played the first chapters... On the other hand, even 55% (the lowest value given here) is too high to be just counting the latest chapter.

To conclude, that metric will work quite well for everything you play in a given version of the game. After an update though, things can get a bit messy (especially this one with an engine update). That being said, 80% sounds about right. 55% sounds too low, unless you play with just one girl or something.

The moral of the story is that this will be a cool metric once the game is completed. Until there it might be unreliable.

I have 81% but I'm not sure how that's possibly given I've read and re-read all the dialogue multiple times.
I don’t think the value will be very accurate for you. Either because you keep changing lines and may not go through them again (renpy thinks they are new lines until you read them in-game), or because, from the proofread scripts you send me, I may change a few lines a bit in the final version that you haven't gone though yet in-game to be counted as seen.

Mister_M

Engaged Member
Apr 2, 2018
55% sounds too low, unless you play with just one girl or something.
That's weird - counting my main 2 playthroughs (and 2 additional ones with just a small differences) - I'm pursuing 4 girls (Emma, Deb, Bri and Kim) have seen all their (main?) sub content (minus one variation of the last scene with Emma and that one scene with Bri [I even bought manly skill for her]) and pursued Lea until the exhibitionism skill check. In any case, I'm happy with what I see on my playthroughs and that's most important part.

MrSilverLust

MSL Games
Game Developer
May 22, 2021
That's weird - counting my main 2 playthroughs (and 2 additional ones with just a small differences) - I'm pursuing 4 girls (Emma, Deb, Bri and Kim) have seen all their (main?) sub content (minus one variation of the last scene with Emma and that one scene with Bri [I even bought manly skill for her]) and pursued Lea until the exhibitionism skill check. In any case, I'm happy with what I see on my playthroughs and that's most important part.
My best guess is that you may have played the 1st versions out of patreon (0.3.0, 0.4.0, 0.5.0, etc)? And then when the patch comes (0.3.1, 0.4.1, 0.5.1) with a shitload of proofreading done, the calculation thinks you didn’t see a lot of dialogue you actually did (every line changed counts as a new line not seen, bugging the true percentage).

(Of course I might be wrong in case you actually replay “a lot” already when the patched versions are out, to see alternative paths and such).

On the other hand, Jen and Lea might be the LIs that have the most route specific content. Anyone not following any of their routes might be missing a bit. But, all of their paths, plus all the not femdom scenes, shouldn't be 50% of the game... should it? I'm actually not sure. Maybe I'll check that one of these days. The issue is that my number is always at 99% :p

In the end, that low number might be due to a bit of both of the reasons above. Either way, I wouldn’t put too much trust in that number due to the issues that come with each update. But I'll try to clarify that soon. Now I'm curious.

Mister_M

Engaged Member
Apr 2, 2018
My best guess is that you may have played the 1st versions out of patreon (0.3.0, 0.4.0, 0.5.0, etc)?
Yeah, while I do replay every chapter 3-4 times I manage to do my replays before the patches. Chapter 4 however I did play with a patch (cause error screens) and I replayed the last scenes of it again when ch.5 came out (cause of save error). Maybe I should just ctrl skip from the beginning to just see if the number would change :unsure:

dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020
I’m not sure if that percentage is that accurate at the moment. For one, the way it’s done is that it calculates the number of lines of dialogue you’ve seen in-game, and divides them by the number of total lines (and then multiplied by 100 to get a percentage value). This is for the whole game, not just the latest chapter.

The thing is, each time an update changes a previous line due to proofreading (even if it’s just a comma or whatever), renpy interprets it as a new line not seen before. And osanaiko changes a lot of lines during proofreading, in between updates… so your percentage will decrease after an update just thanks to the changed lines, even if, technically, you've played that scene before.

Basically, that value is the percentage of lines that will be skipped when you hold control, versus the total number of lines in the game.

Also:

Was skip not working just with the proofread lines or for everything? For example, could you skip the tutorial or the first chapter? Also, is the play time below that percentage accurate for all the time you spent with the game, or just after the latest update?

I updated the renpy version I use to compile the game and I’m not sure if that didn’t reset your previous data. The game might be thinking you have never played the first chapters... On the other hand, even 55% (the lowest value given here) is too high to be just counting the latest chapter.

To conclude, that metric will work quite well for everything you play in a given version of the game. After an update though, things can get a bit messy (especially this one with an engine update). That being said, 80% sounds about right. 55% sounds too low, unless you play with just one girl or something.

The moral of the story is that this will be a cool metric once the game is completed. Until there it might be unreliable.

I don’t think the value will be very accurate for you. Either because you keep changing lines and may not go through them again (renpy thinks they are new lines until you read them in-game), or because, from the proofread scripts you send me, I may change a few lines a bit in the final version that you haven't gone though yet in-game to be counted as seen.
Number of images seen might be a better metric, at least I think it's what interest people the most

MrSilverLust

MSL Games
Game Developer
May 22, 2021
Last night I did some testing because I was also curious about this. These values are from a single playthrough, starting from 0% every time.
  • rejecting all paths/lewd scenes - 46% of content seen
  • go for all girls, choosing sensitive paths/scenes (when available) in a single playthrough - 70% of content seen
  • go for all girls, choosing manly paths/scenes in a single playthrough - 67% of content seen

There are mutually exclusive scenes in a single playthrough, even if you only choose sensitive or manly scenes (ex: on the 4th chapter you get spanked by Deb or have a ruined orgasm in the sensitive path; or you can either praise or humiliate Jen, with or without aftercare, in the manly path). So, those values might change a bit depending on which scenes you pick or if you do more than one play through to see all the sensitive or manly scenes.

79% is a lot. I am at 68%. I am going after all love interests, but only on the sub path.
Interesting... I got 64% by the end of this chapter:
So, these values seem about right for the paths taken.

counting my main 2 playthroughs (and 2 additional ones with just a small differences) - I'm pursuing 4 girls (Emma, Deb, Bri and Kim) have seen all their (main?) sub content
Out of curiosity, I also tried this – Emma + Deb + Bri + Kim sensitive scenes in a single playthrough – and got 58%. So, a few different choices here and there, plus some old lines changed due to proofreading, and those 55% you mentioned seem absolutely right. My bad for thinking that sounded off.

Number of images seen might be a better metric, at least I think it's what interest people the most
This is an interesting suggestion that made me think. I think this metric would measure something, but I’m not sure exactly what. Or if it's interesting. (Also, more importantly, I have no idea if it would be easy to implement it code-wise :p )

The thing is, the way I manage branching is by reusing as many images as possible. For example, for a given scene in a given location, I render different poses for the LI (like talking, listening, smiling, sad, laughing, etc) and then use them when appropriately, as many times as required. So, often, completely different paths, with completely different conversations, may end up showing the same images. On the other hand, lewd scenes usually need to have a lot of specific renders due to different poses and whatnot. For example, in the 5th chapter, something like 560 renders are from lewd scenes, while only ~260 are from "normal" scenes… but, content-wise, there are more normal scenes and dialogues than lewd scenes. They can just use a lot of the same images for the whole scene/conversation (you know, to save render/development time - it's cheaper/faster to write than to render).

So, the amount of different images seen wouldn’t reflect at all the amount of story or paths a player has seen, which is, I think, what is more interesting for that value to represent. You want to know how much of the story you have seen. For example, a lot of people agree that this game is a slow burn with lots of character development in between lewd scenes. But, if you’d measure the amount of game played by images seen, then, more than half of the game would be lewd content… which makes it a kind of a misleading metric. Maybe useless? i don't know, maybe some people would find this number interesting. I think I actually would, if it was easy to calculate. Maybe I'll investigate that.

Anyway, to get a sense of how many lewd content a given player has seen (which, I think, was what you wanted to know with this number), they can just look into the gallery screen. That menu got some improvements in the 0.5.x update, namely a way to filter scenes by manly, neutral, or sensitive kinks, and even a way to see scenes they haven’t played yet. This way, I hope, players can very easily get a good impression of how many lewd scenes they have seen (and in what paths), and if the scenes they missed are with kinks they like or not. And then decide if a new playthrough is warranted or not.

4.60 star(s) 164 Votes