Kinderfeld

Developer of Now & Then and The Interim Domain
Game Developer
Feb 11, 2018
Nowandthen Update Banner.jpg

Work for Chapter Seven has formally started. In fact, the first four scenes are already in a playable format. One of them will require some serious testing because it's dependent on a flag that the player may or may not have acquired two chapters prior. It also generates two new conversation flags and has the potential to unlock an additional small sequence in a later scene (depending on how many points you have with a certain girl).
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Gotta say, it's nice to have a chapter that isn't so spoiler-heavy that I have to dance around the screens being teased. Not to say there aren't a few moments in this episode that I want to keep fresh for the players, but now that Naomi is there, I don't have to hold back half the screens like I did last time. Or an entire half of an update, like Chapter Five.

From a tech/GUI standpoint, the only real item I'm adding to this update is a "Hide" option for Android users so they can hide the text box if they want to. I know I like this feature on other games, so it was a matter of time I snuck this in.

Sample Screens:
Nowandthen Sample Pics.jpg Nowandthen Sample Pics2.jpg

- Kinderfeld

Faceless0ne

Sep 8, 2018
Have to admit, this one is quite good. Yes, it has it flaws (to many (yeah that's a thing!) asian babes and the MC is sometimes as dumb as 2 meters of dirt road...both from an interpersonal as well as survival PoV) but I'll keep an eye on it.

Reactions: Kinderfeld

combige

Jun 30, 2017
The story is quite surreal (hard to find the opposite in this setting though) but it's executed so well and the atmosphere is so tempting, I ended up liking it very much.
But nevertheless I'm not sure if I like author's fashion of reporting more: so frequent, rich in pictures and overall thorough -totally enthralls me.
Easy on the list.

Kinderfeld

Game Developer
Feb 11, 2018

Whelp. Chapter Seven is trucking along pretty well. There's currently a playable build with fourteen of the planned seventeen scenes running on my computer. While some of the sequences will need some added shots or expansion of the script, the basic core of the chapter is running well.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
From a writing standpoint, I have to say that I'm enjoying the natural evolution of the story that adding Naomi has produced. While the story is still mostly about Jack and Carol, this update allows the player to see Carol through her friendship with Naomi. It allows multiple occasions to see the events through Carol's eyes.

From a technical standpoint, I'm adding two new musical tracks to the game's audio. I found myself needing certain, very specific, movements that weren't covered by the current track listing. So, a day spent on the got new musical numbers for Now & Then.

Sample Screens:
Nowandthen Sample Pics1.jpg Nowandthen Sample Pics2.jpg

- Kinderfeld

lyfsavor

Mar 31, 2020
Not sure if I really realized this before or maybe just didn't appreciate it yet, but the music at the start of chapter 5 when the MC goes out to the streets to patrol/scout is really haunting and moody, nice choice right there! So many games don't even have music or sound, so you really appreciate it when they do, and even more so when it matches the tone of the game!

Kinderfeld

Game Developer
Feb 11, 2018
Not sure if I really realized this before or maybe just didn't appreciate it yet, but the music at the start of chapter 5 when the MC goes out to the streets to patrol/scout is really haunting and moody, nice choice right there! So many games don't even have music or sound, so you really appreciate it when they do, and even more so when it matches the tone of the game!
I will admit to being influenced by Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill) and Atticus Ross/Reznor, so I like to inject dark ambient and industrial when it fits the mood. Almost every time Jack is out in the world, I'm slotting in music that's reminiscent of Silent Hill's downturned folk guitar.

Kinderfeld

Game Developer
Feb 11, 2018
Whoa whoa whoa. Whoa. It's not out today. But it will be soon. Or it better not be. Now I have to go check my scheduled posts to see if they're scheduled right. :)

By now, most of you know what "Final Update" means. It means that we're *this* close to a new release. In fact, we're a bit ahead of the game: 0.07.0 has already been tested and uploaded, ready for release. Development went surprisingly smooth, even with the fact that I re-shot two and a half sequences because I didn't like how they looked the first time.

For Chapter Seven, there's a fair amount of text that's dependent on decisions you've made up to this point in the game. To this point, there's an entire conversation you may or may not see depending on a choice you might have made multiple chapters prior.

Here's the release schedule for 0.07.0 (all scheduled for 11:59 am EST release):

Tier 3: 8/14/2020
Tier 2: 8/16/2020
Tier 1 8/18/2020
Public: 8/19/2020

Change Log 0.07.0
  • Added Chapter Seven
  • Added the option to Hide the text box on Android
  • Changed image format to reduce file size (around 200-250 MBs saved for this version)
  • Added multiple new music tracks
Screens:
Nowandthen Sample Pics1.jpg Nowandthen Sample Pics2.jpg

- Kinderfeld

Last edited:
4.60 star(s) 280 Votes