Unity !Ω Factorial Omega: My Dystopian Robot Girlfriend [v0.87.11] [Incontinent Cell]

4.50 star(s) 83 Votes

Siegfried67

May 8, 2018
Yes, but it's a dick move and who knows what they will do next. Once I'm done with this game my next game will not be im Unity and I've seen many similar sentiments from other developers. If it wasn't for the threshold increase when you upgrade to pro I'd be paying around 18k$(!!!) a month or even 40k$(!!!!!!) with the free license. That's total bullshit. View attachment 2926351
They've lost the trust of thousands of developers. The only way I could see developing my future games with Unity is if they completely undo this entire thing(which they won't). If I could I'd stop using Unity today I would, but game engines can't really be swapped like that and they know it. It's pure exploitation of developers for profit.
Wait... you're making over 200k $ a year with that kind of games? And no updates in over 3 months?

Reactions: blarg0192

fulcrum

Engaged Member
Feb 2, 2018
Nope, we are closer to 100k$ actually. 200k$ is an achievable goal though. Making games takes a lot of time. Try making one yourself and you will see that it's not as easy as it seems.
judging by the rpgm crap ive personaly bought on dlsite it depends on quality. some of that shit is achievable in a week.
your stuff is way better however.

Reactions: mr__person__

Studio 781

Game Developer
Aug 3, 2020
the game isn't easy to make mate.
Nope, we are closer to 100k$ actually. 200k$ is an achievable goal though. Making games takes a lot of time. Try making one yourself and you will see that it's not as easy as it seems.
*Having flashbacks about the most simple features not working and breaking the whole game*
tumblr_686463f1bb4e93b9ccc9df807b842004_8c66ba71_500.gif

Rabcor

Sep 6, 2022
Yes, but it's a dick move and who knows what they will do next. Once I'm done with this game my next game will not be im Unity and I've seen many similar sentiments from other developers. If it wasn't for the threshold increase when you upgrade to pro I'd be paying around 18k$(!!!) a month or even 40k$(!!!!!!) with the free license. That's total bullshit. View attachment 2926351
They've lost the trust of thousands of developers. The only way I could see developing my future games with Unity is if they completely undo this entire thing(which they won't). If I could I'd stop using Unity today I would, but game engines can't really be swapped like that and they know it. It's pure exploitation of developers for profit.
For this kind of game you're better off using godot anyways. Unity and unreal are quite suboptimal choices for 2D games. They're 3D engines first and foremost. Godot meanwhile started out as a 2D engine and only recently started branching into 3D, it's one of the better 2D engines. Hell, you could have gotten away with using renpy for this game.

Unity has gone back on this 'decision' but honestly this isn't the first time they try something stupid like this, bad management has already destroyed this engine for anyone with good sense.

ViviX12

Engaged Member
Jan 5, 2019
Hell, you could have gotten away with using renpy for this game.
I don't think renpy would allow for the sex mechanics as they are in the game, and they are a very significant part of the appeal of the game. In terms of Godot, I'd advocate for it too but I have no idea if it supports the kind of image manipulation the game does during sex.

Incontinent Cell

Game Developer
Oct 12, 2020
For this kind of game you're better off using godot anyways. Unity and unreal are quite suboptimal choices for 2D games. They're 3D engines first and foremost. Godot meanwhile started out as a 2D engine and only recently started branching into 3D, it's one of the better 2D engines. Hell, you could have gotten away with using renpy for this game.

Unity has gone back on this 'decision' but honestly this isn't the first time they try something stupid like this, bad management has already destroyed this engine for anyone with good sense.
Uhmmm no. You clearly don't know much about game development, but let me humor your post.
Even if I spent a looong time porting it to Godot it'd still be inferior, because Godot with C# doesn't support android and webplayer. Those versions account for about half of the users. (And I don't want to use gdscript, because I hate python)
Another thing is that godot doesn't have a live2d plugin. I could maybe write a wrapper for their native c++ plugin, but it'd be a looooot of work. With Unity it's just a matter of installing their plugin.
The argument of "Unity and unreal are quite suboptimal choices for 2D games." makes sense for unreal, but not for Unity. Unity is a versatile engine that allows you to make pretty much anything you want. From 3d games such as Rust, Genshin Impact, even most Pokemon games to 2d games such as Hollow Knight, RimWorld, CupHead. Those are just a couple of example off the top of my head.

"Hell, you could have gotten away with using renpy for this game." No. Just no. It might have support for live2d, but the game is not really a basic visual novel. Not to mention level of customization to the live2d model I achieved by using functions from Unity's graphics module. Oh I also just checked:
1695487480983.png
It doesn't work on the web version and has problems with android. Unity's live2d works on both of those.

In short Unity engine is an amazing tool that allows you to release on all major platforms with minimal effort. It's something almost no other engine can do. I can maybe use Godot for my next game some years in the future, but at this point in time it's nowhere near ready.

Rabcor

Sep 6, 2022
I don't think renpy would allow for the sex mechanics as they are in the game, and they are a very significant part of the appeal of the game. In terms of Godot, I'd advocate for it too but I have no idea if it supports the kind of image manipulation the game does during sex.
Renpy could do it, it's not something a complete newbie could do, no matter the engine, renpy has all that's needed for it, but yeah it'd probably be easier to do in an engine that isn't as hyperfocused on VNs.

Rabcor

Sep 6, 2022
I don't want to use gdscript, because I hate python.
I actually do know plenty about game development. And most of your argument about not using godot just boiled down to that statement I quoted.

I've done this dance, I'm a dev too, I'm not familiar with live2d so it''s not like I was specifically thinking of that, i was just thinking of the overall gameplay, i've seen far more complex games done with ren'py (there was this guy I remember who kept making dungeon crawlers in it for instance), it's maybe not out of the box made for games of this complexity but it's really not complicated to add what basically amounts to some stats in, and that stock trading minigame too wouldn't be hard, i've seen more renpy games do just that than I have seen renpy games not doing it actually (but that's somewhat just my preference for games with numbers that go up I suppose).

Your attitude towards gdscript and python is harmful to you as a developer, sure it's fine if you're just on unity, but now that you're in the market for a new engine, keeping your mind so closed to new languages is not doing you any favors. gdscript and python are really easy to learn, they're scripting languages, there's no real logical reason to hate either of them. You can learn gdscript in a day, python is much the same really so long as you have a background in other languages. Like C#. These are tools, you don't see many mechanics refusing to use screwdrivers because they prefer wrenches, do you? that's basically what you're doing to yourself here.

Someone is working on a live2d implementation for godot, I did look it up since you mentioned it. But I know you can't do much with that, I've been there too, in fact I stopped using godot myself and switched to unreal for the same reason (IK didn't have a working implementation in 3D in Godot; game I wanted to make wasn't possible to create without decent IK). Godot is really easy to extend though so if you were really determined I'm sure you could implement it yourself in a few weeks.

It doesn't work on the web version and has problems with android. Unity's live2d works on both of those.
Those are sacrifices we devs (or if we're bigger, the producer or publisher) sometimes just gotta consider, most devs seem perfectly content to support only windows, I applaud you for going the extra mile to support everything (it was the first thing I said when I saw this game too wasn't it?), but how important is it to you really to support absolutely every platform? And how does that weigh against your demand for live2d?

You've clearly gone through all this before, and picked unity, and I am definitely not saying you should switch engines now, good god no, not this deep into the project, just finish up in unity.

But there will be a game after this, won't there? And unity is looking like an increasingly bad option is it not? And you make 2D games, your choice is most likely going to boil down to godot or renpy. Sure maybe you'll go for a more obscure engine like haxeflixel or something, but the point here is, there are other engines that could do what you've done here if you're going to ditch unity (which is the sensible thing to do, I don't remember the exact details but earlier this year I was going to make a game in unity, then there was some kind of scandal of a similar type to what we had just the other day, and I decided to steer clear, lead me to godot, I liked it a lot actually but it's IK system was broken so I couldn't stay with it, lead me to UE, Epic Games is a lot of things, most of them bad, but at least they seem content with their business model and aren't gonna do weird shit like unity's been pulling anytime soon. UE has been their main product since the 90s, the only real difficulty is that it's a complex beast of an engine and requires you to get cozy with C++ eventually if you plan to make a serious game on it)

Also don't get too hung up on live2d, it's a convenience, but we've seen sex mechanics like this since the days of hentai flash games in the early 2000s. It's not the only way to do this even if the results of it are surprisingly nice.

Whatever the decision you end up making, I believe it's critical to have an engine you can trust, and right now unity is looking about as trustworthy as a snake in the grass, hissing in your general direction.

But do finish your current unity projects in unity, for your sanity's sake.

Reactions: ViviX12

Studio 781

Game Developer
Aug 3, 2020
Renpy could do it, it's not something a complete newbie could do, no matter the engine, renpy has all that's needed for it, but yeah it'd probably be easier to do in an engine that isn't as hyperfocused on VNs.
I program Ren'Py and is not capable of interactive Live 2D, you can add Live 2D but as animations pre-programmed, not interactive.

Now, I could agree that is the case for other games that have static CGs and are made with Unity with a ton of workarounds to do exactly what Ren'Py does but more complicated, but I guess there are developers who want to learn Unity for future projects and such while sacrificing performance and time by programming on an engine not made for visual novels.
It might hurt in the short run but it will work in the long run.

Because the first project could be static but the second had some Live 2D and the third one full interactive Live 2D and so on, making development multiple projects a learning experience.

In terms of Godot, I'd advocate for it too but I have no idea if it supports the kind of image manipulation the game does during sex.
It does, and is better and easier (In the most recent version 4.0) but as Incell mentions, Godot has its own limitations, although so does Unity. However, learning a whole new language is hard and time consuming, that is why is convenient to me learn Godot because Python and for others learn Unity because C#.

I think all of this is more about just "Choose your own engine as long as it works and is capable to achieved what you want", tho.

Last edited:

Incontinent Cell

Game Developer
Oct 12, 2020
I actually do know plenty about game development. And most of your argument about not using godot just boiled down to that statement I quoted.

I've done this dance, I'm a dev too, I'm not familiar with live2d so it''s not like I was specifically thinking of that, i was just thinking of the overall gameplay, i've seen far more complex games done with ren'py (there was this guy I remember who kept making dungeon crawlers in it for instance), it's maybe not out of the box made for games of this complexity but it's really not complicated to add what basically amounts to some stats in, and that stock trading minigame too wouldn't be hard, i've seen more renpy games do just that than I have seen renpy games not doing it actually (but that's somewhat just my preference for games with numbers that go up I suppose).

Your attitude towards gdscript and python is harmful to you as a developer, sure it's fine if you're just on unity, but now that you're in the market for a new engine, keeping your mind so closed to new languages is not doing you any favors. gdscript and python are really easy to learn, they're scripting languages, there's no real logical reason to hate either of them. You can learn gdscript in a day, python is much the same really so long as you have a background in other languages. Like C#. These are tools, you don't see many mechanics refusing to use screwdrivers because they prefer wrenches, do you? that's basically what you're doing to yourself here.

Someone is working on a live2d implementation for godot, I did look it up since you mentioned it. But I know you can't do much with that, I've been there too, in fact I stopped using godot myself and switched to unreal for the same reason (IK didn't have a working implementation in 3D in Godot; game I wanted to make wasn't possible to create without decent IK). Godot is really easy to extend though so if you were really determined I'm sure you could implement it yourself in a few weeks.

Those are sacrifices we devs (or if we're bigger, the producer or publisher) sometimes just gotta consider, most devs seem perfectly content to support only windows, I applaud you for going the extra mile to support everything (it was the first thing I said when I saw this game too wasn't it?), but how important is it to you really to support absolutely every platform? And how does that weigh against your demand for live2d?

You've clearly gone through all this before, and picked unity, and I am definitely not saying you should switch engines now, good god no, not this deep into the project, just finish up in unity.

But there will be a game after this, won't there? And unity is looking like an increasingly bad option is it not? And you make 2D games, your choice is most likely going to boil down to godot or renpy. Sure maybe you'll go for a more obscure engine like haxeflixel or something, but the point here is, there are other engines that could do what you've done here if you're going to ditch unity (which is the sensible thing to do, I don't remember the exact details but earlier this year I was going to make a game in unity, then there was some kind of scandal of a similar type to what we had just the other day, and I decided to steer clear, lead me to godot, I liked it a lot actually but it's IK system was broken so I couldn't stay with it, lead me to UE, Epic Games is a lot of things, most of them bad, but at least they seem content with their business model and aren't gonna do weird shit like unity's been pulling anytime soon. UE has been their main product since the 90s, the only real difficulty is that it's a complex beast of an engine and requires you to get cozy with C++ eventually if you plan to make a serious game on it)

Also don't get too hung up on live2d, it's a convenience, but we've seen sex mechanics like this since the days of hentai flash games in the early 2000s. It's not the only way to do this even if the results of it are surprisingly nice.

Whatever the decision you end up making, I believe it's critical to have an engine you can trust, and right now unity is looking about as trustworthy as a snake in the grass, hissing in your general direction.

But do finish your current unity projects in unity, for your sanity's sake.
I do know python and use it for some things. For example I have a script for combining data from patreon and subscribstar polls. It's just that I don't really enjoy programming in it. I dislike dynamically typed languages as I find myself wasting a lot of time trying to figure out what types things are and what I can do with them. It's fine for small things, but once things grow larger this wastes a loooot of time. There is a reason why typescript was created on top of javascript. It might be because my first programming language was c++, but I just find "pythonic" code ugly.

Supporting all the platforms gives you a huge boost over other games. Especially the browser version. Every step you add before user can play game is a step they can drop out at for example compare:
Windows:
1. Downloads file
2. Extract the .zip file
3. Run the .exe file inside of the extracted files
Browser:
1. Open the page.
It's a looot easier for the user to just play in the browser. On itch.io my game gets more browser plays than ALL downloads for other platforms. Also without the browser version I wouldn't be able to release on Newgrounds, were a lot of people played the game. Many people underestimate this, but not being able to release on all the platforms it's simply a dealbreaker for me.

When the time comes for a new game as I said I might consider godot, but it still has a lot of things missing. Hopefully more devs will use it now and it will be as good as Unity in a couple of years. If it comes to Live2D. There are alternatives like spine or maybe writing a custom animation solution, but I think Live2D looks the best. Nothing else I've used/seen comes close to it if it comes to anime style animations.

Unity as an engine is amazing and I don't think there is a better tool for me on the market at this moment. Unity as a company though, well I don't think I need to say much here. They fucked up.

Rabcor

Sep 6, 2022
However, learning a whole new language is hard and time consuming
Gotta disagree on that one, for high level and scripting or markup languages it truly is neither hard nor time consuming. Learning programming is really learning problem solving, and like 90% of high level languages use the exact same problem solving methods, only the syntax is different, and you barely have to learn the syntax even, your editor will usually help you keep the syntax correct these days, and even if it doesn't, when working on indie games in game engines you usually aren't coding entirely from scratch, at least not when you're just starting your first project in it, you'll start from examples, then rewrite and expand on them, or even reverse engineer them and write a completely different code that does the same thing, but since you start from an example, whether you got it from the engine docs, chatgpt, youtube or somewhere else, you already have the syntax more or less spelled out for you.

Which means, all you gotta do, is the exact same thing you do in any other language, you write your variables and your ifs and fors and switches and so on, just using a slight variation on the syntax and sometimes (not even always) terminology.

I have coded in C, C++, C#, HTML/CSS/JS,SQL, Python, GDScript, Bash, Batch and a good couple others. My starting point was C# and HTML which i was taught, from there I learned the rest on my own, and it never took me more than a week to pick something up.

Granted I didn't truly learn the full extent of C and C++, because learning that can take years. But those are low/intermediate level languages, they're orders of magnitude more complicated, because you have to solve more problems when you use them than you do on high level languages, it's less automated, more explicit.

When learning high level languages however, it shouldn't take you more than a week. I wasn't kidding when I said pick up gdscript in a day, because that's exactly what I did.

The hard part of programming isn't the language, it's finding and executing the solutions to your problems. The language itself is rarely hard in and of itself, it's all about what you need it to do.

I do know python and use it for some things. For example I have a script for combining data from patreon and subscribstar polls. It's just that I don't really enjoy programming in it. I dislike dynamically typed languages as I find myself wasting a lot of time trying to figure out what types things are and what I can do with them. It's fine for small things, but once things grow larger this wastes a loooot of time. There is a reason why typescript was created on top of javascript. It might be because my first programming language was c++, but I just find "pythonic" code ugly.
There's nothing that stops you from explicitly specifying the type, but it's usually heavily implied what the type is. Still you're right of course, python is generally not the right tool for bigger projects. Though that owes more to it's interpreted nature than anything else (it has been successfully used for some pretty huge projects though, notably eve online uses it a lot)

As for finding the python formatting ugly, I mean I recognize this issue, I had the same problem with it when I first started learning it, this too happened because of my C# background, but I just got used to it eventually.

Last edited:
4.50 star(s) 83 Votes