VN Ren'Py Onhold Of Potions and Spells [v0.7.2] [Mr. Nickname]

3.70 star(s) 6 Votes

orangutaint

Jun 29, 2018
Completely glitched here too. old saves or new game. Stuck in morning and night. Book disappears. No way to do any action but sleep.

mrttao

Forum Fanatic
Jun 11, 2021
It wasn't really done by variables, it was an array of sorts. I'm fairly new to coding so I don't quite know how this will fix it either.
Actually... why is your "current_time" an array?
you are just over complicating things for yourself. make it an integer

Also, if converting the values from old current time to new current time is too complicated for you... just make it set the new current time to morning when loading an old save (as per version check which I posted).

Mr Nickname

Game Developer
Dec 23, 2019
Actually... why is your "current_time" an array?
you are just over complicating things for yourself. make it an integer

Also, if converting the values from old current time to new current time is too complicated for you... just make it set the new current time to morning when loading an old save (as per version check which I posted).
I think it was an array so I could just use a single function to advance time, here was the code I used.

Code:
### Time Variables
default day = 1
default time_of_day = ["Morning", "Noon", "Evening", "Night"]
define end_of_day = "Night"
define start_of_day = "Morning"

label advance(increment = 1):

python:
        while increment > 0:
            if time_of_day[0] == end_of_day:
                day += 1

time_of_day.append(time_of_day.pop(0))
            increment -= 1
    return

mrttao

Forum Fanatic
Jun 11, 2021
I think it was an array so I could just use a single function to advance time, here was the code I used.

Code:
### Time Variables
default day = 1
default time_of_day = ["Morning", "Noon", "Evening", "Night"]
define end_of_day = "Night"
define start_of_day = "Morning"

python:
        while increment > 0:
            if time_of_day[0] == end_of_day:
                day += 1

time_of_day.append(time_of_day.pop(0))
            increment -= 1
    return
I see. well this array is just a simple string[int]. with the int being what we actually want. edit: it is shifting. we always want int key = 0 as it is the actual time.

now, I have never used python before. but I do code in other languages. And I looked up some python terms real quick.
I think that for some reason you are shifting things around such that int 0 is the current time. int 1 is the next time, and so on. so when you advance from noon to evening, you delete noon, shift the whole stack so that evening is key 0, and append noon back on the end of the array at key 3. this seems like a very weird and backwards way of doing things.

it looks to me like you should just use an integer value to track the time of day without any problem. where:
1 = morning
2 = noon
3 = evening
4 = night

just changing it to:
Code:
### Time Variables
default day = 1
default time_of_day = 1
define end_of_day = 4
define start_of_day = 1

python:
        while increment > 0:
            if time_of_day >= end_of_day:
                day += 1
            else:
                time_of_day += 1

increment -= 1
    return
And you can trim and clean up some more. for example start_of_day isn't used. and you can delete end_of_day variable and just put in 4 instead.

resulting in
Code:
### Time Variables
default day = 1
default time_of_day = 1

python:
        while increment > 0:
            if time_of_day >= 4:
                day += 1
            else:
                time_of_day += 1

increment -= 1
    return
Also this looks like a function to me:
Code:
but you are hard coding a value for increment. and you are doing so in the function name. which you really shouldn't.

do something like
Code:
### Time Variables
default day = 1
default time_of_day = 1

label advance(increment):

python:
        increment = 1     #currently this is hardcoded.
        while increment > 0:
            if time_of_day >= 4:
                day += 1
            else:
                time_of_day += 1

increment -= 1
    return
or just delete increment because it is currently hardcoded to 1
Code:
### Time Variables
default day = 1
default time_of_day = 1

label advance():
    python:
            if time_of_day >= 4:
                day += 1
            else:
                time_of_day += 1
    return

Last edited:
Reactions: Yamemai

mrttao

Forum Fanatic
Jun 11, 2021
As for converting... your current time of day is
time_of_day[0]

So you can convert it via something like
Code:
label migrate_time():
    python:
        if new_time > 0:
            return    #already using new time. no need to migrate it

if time_of_day[0] == "Morning":
            new_time = 1
        else if time_of_day[0] == "Noon":
            new_time = 2
        else if time_of_day[0] == "Evening":
            new_time = 3
        else if time_of_day[0] == "Night":
            new_time = 4
        else new_time = 1    #something went wrong. falling back to default

del time_of_day        #since we already converted it to new variable. we can delete the old one
    return

Yamemai

Nov 1, 2017
Just re-did from the beginning and here are some suggestions:
1. Some button to highlight clickables would be nice. Also, the WIP patron bits could be changed to red or something. Was frustrating trying to find the shack to sleep and keep getting the patron inserts
2. You should really space out the actions. Was really frustrating having to decide to either improve the girls stats or go on quest to grind for money/levels. Could have easily moved one of the two to one of the other 4 timeframes.

As it is, the start will cause many players to drop it, as there are way too many clicks; 3x2 of redundant to sleep and progress the day.

Reactions: mrttao

Mr Nickname

Game Developer
Dec 23, 2019
Just re-did from the beginning and here are some suggestions:
1. Some button to highlight clickables would be nice. Also, the WIP patron bits could be changed to red or something. Was frustrating trying to find the shack to sleep and keep getting the patron inserts
2. You should really space out the actions. Was really frustrating having to decide to either improve the girls stats or go on quest to grind for money/levels. Could have easily moved one of the two to one of the other 4 timeframes.
If by button to hillight click able you mean like the map. The yes I do want to do that and remove things like the default option.

I do plan to spread the characters out more. Like I might do Kagura in the morning.

thedeadbonesbrook

Apr 23, 2022
Hi I am really enjoying the game so far and I hope in the next version we get some more Mira content as she is probably my favourite girl from Fairy Tail. On that note I think there are some things that need to be looked at.

1. Have a wallet on the normal screen and possibly potions as well it is really annoying to keep having to go into the book to find these things.

2. Gaining money is both very slow and annoyingly inconsistent for B quests with a difference of 2500 between best and worst options with absolutely no control on our part. With the current endgame being very grind heavy to get all the scenes bad rng can almost double the time taken to complete.

3. The Outfits speech from the shopkeeper really doesn't need to be said more than once as well as the outfit remains an option after being purchased.

Also one bug that I noticed the Minotaur had the name Mirajane when it spoke.

Burr

Apr 11, 2018
In my defense, it is my first game.
Have you tried to play it yourself? Like from the beginning till all scenes opened. What I see you haven't tested it properly, which sucks.

The thing you could miss even if testing - locations on the map should be super findable. Extremely so. If they have names - extra plus

Gyattago

Jan 15, 2021
Nah I also have to say this, the game's art and story itself is good but the grinding in unreal, at least make it less potions for new scene and also indicate when the scenes are over for a character in that version cuz a combo of infinite grinding and no knowledge of characters progress is really horroundous for a player.

Mr Nickname

Game Developer
Dec 23, 2019
Nah I also have to say this, the game's art and story itself is good but the grinding in unreal, at least make it less potions for new scene and also indicate when the scenes are over for a character in that version cuz a combo of infinite grinding and no knowledge of characters progress is really horroundous for a player.
I did add a label in the journal for when you finished all the content for a character. But yeah. The grind is an issue I've been trying to fix.

3.70 star(s) 6 Votes