VN Ren'Py Abandoned Offcuts [v0.3.1] [stencilbits]

4.80 star(s) 77 Votes

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017

Straight to the business!
* Skipping this months Patron payments as 0.3 is not yet out...
* 0.3 planned release date for $10 tier folks: June 15-16 (weekend)
* Patreon posts with semi-spoilerific 0.3 renders, starting on June 2 and continuing until all backlogged renders are out or 0.3 has been released (whichever happens first).
Since the last update, I have been sidetracked by the tech changes I have been mentioning and things got quickly out of control in a good way. While updating 0.3 related code and scripting I started to expand the pretty basic 2D-animations and eventually created a basic prototype with 3D-characters and interactive interactions (one of my demos I linked some time ago showed a simple 3D-scene inside Ren'Py). So instead of eventually having pre-rendered movies, it would be possible to animate characters in a (limited) 3D-scene. Instead of rendering a static image or movie files from Blender, I could export the real scene, poses, hi-quality baked textures and animations with a single click.
Needless to my tests push Ren'Py to its limits and more testing will be needed to determine if the whole thing is feasible in normal use. I don't want to change the engine as that would be a lot of extra work at this point. Naturally, there will be static fallback images for people with slow or otherwise problematic computers. Other issues like model licensing costs (licenses for interactive use can cost a lot more) might also affect how practical this whole thing will be.
Demo video about this whole unholy 3D-system incoming at some point after 0.3 is out. I'll first wade through some good animation tutorials some friendly people have been pointing out to me so that the characters don't move like uncanny mannequins in a cheap school play.

joecoe

Jun 14, 2018

Straight to the business!
* Skipping this months Patron payments as 0.3 is not yet out...
* 0.3 planned release date for $10 tier folks: June 15-16 (weekend)
* Patreon posts with semi-spoilerific 0.3 renders, starting on June 2 and continuing until all backlogged renders are out or 0.3 has been released (whichever happens first).
Since the last update, I have been sidetracked by the tech changes I have been mentioning and things got quickly out of control in a good way. While updating 0.3 related code and scripting I started to expand the pretty basic 2D-animations and eventually created a basic prototype with 3D-characters and interactive interactions (one of my demos I linked some time ago showed a simple 3D-scene inside Ren'Py). So instead of eventually having pre-rendered movies, it would be possible to animate characters in a (limited) 3D-scene. Instead of rendering a static image or movie files from Blender, I could export the real scene, poses, hi-quality baked textures and animations with a single click.
Needless to my tests push Ren'Py to its limits and more testing will be needed to determine if the whole thing is feasible in normal use. I don't want to change the engine as that would be a lot of extra work at this point. Naturally, there will be static fallback images for people with slow or otherwise problematic computers. Other issues like model licensing costs (licenses for interactive use can cost a lot more) might also affect how practical this whole thing will be.
Demo video about this whole unholy 3D-system incoming at some point after 0.3 is out. I'll first wade through some good animation tutorials some friendly people have been pointing out to me so that the characters don't move like uncanny mannequins in a cheap school play.
Offcuts, as it is, with a simple system and a relatively low proportion of renders to text, is already one of the best adult visual novels.
The main strengths are good funny writing and original art. I feel that the technical changes plans to try are unnecessary, it would only change Offcuts into something else than what it is now and slow down adding new content that fans really want.
I believe the overwhelming majority of fans would appreciate adding stories for other girls and keeping everything else as it is.
I understand that is not dependent on Patreon income, he can do whatever you want with his game, and as a developer he wants to try new challenges. But I think that completing Offcuts within a reasonable time without major technical changes would bring him much more popularity. And he could postpone the new challenges for some new project after completing Offcuts.

Kinderfeld

Developer of Now & Then and The Interim Domain
Game Developer
Feb 11, 2018
This is slowly becoming Dual Family all over again. Which makes me sad to admit.

popober

Jun 9, 2017
Really hope that June timeline can hold up... although, I guess it doesn't really matter if the dev takes another month or year as he's not taking any money for non-work. Switching to a "per update" system like Kerni's could help smooth things out in case of schedule slips again, however.

Sorrowz

May 27, 2017
Except he's cancelling the payments...doesn't seem like he's trying to manipulate his fanbase but rather just fulfill his own personal standards. Nowhere near as bad as Gumdrop lmao
Pretty much this and people who hate on him and complain in this thread either don't know or just casually leave it out.

He clearly isn't in this for money but for more personal gain and wants to live up to whatever standards he has for himself.

There's 0 milking. I've been a patreon since launch and I've maybe paid 3-4 months? I'm fine with waiting if in the end the product is something stencilbits is proud of and not just a poor monthly update with next to no new content.

joecoe

Jun 14, 2018
Pretty much this and people who hate on him and complain in this thread either don't know or just casually leave it out.

He clearly isn't in this for money but for more personal gain and wants to live up to whatever standards he has for himself.

There's 0 milking. I've been a patreon since launch and I've maybe paid 3-4 months? I'm fine with waiting if in the end the product is something stencilbits is proud of and not just a poor monthly update with next to no new content.
I know he is not milking. I just don't think the animations and the other technical changes will make Offcuts better. People like Offcuts because of cute art and excelent writing. So the paths for other girls are the best way how to make one of the best adult games even better.

oyomzin

Jun 3, 2017

Yup, totally agree. I'm all for quality > quantity.

And as much as I'm sure he'd like to please everyone...that's just impossible.

Reactions: Tom10

Seiko126

Sep 21, 2018
Jeez if every update takes this long than fckn hell we're going to be here for a couple of years then. All of this wait for what? Just so that the game can look more flashy. Everything else was done ages ago. Christ. I know it's out of our hands, it's his game and he can do whatever he wants (as the white knights keep saying) but it just seems very unnecessary. Leaves a bad taste. Stencilbits priorities for what the game needs are almost entirely his own priorities. Well it is how it is. Money doesn't matter anymore, time does, and a hell of a lot time has gone by for this game. Let's see if it's actually worth it.

Reactions: OtarioSS

p22

Jun 21, 2017
I see nothing wrong with getting better game, whenever it is released, as long as it gets released eventually.

It's not like there are not enough other games to play in the meantime.

D

Deleted member 59977

I know he is not milking. I just don't think the animations and the other technical changes will make Offcuts better. People like Offcuts because of cute art and excelent writing. So the paths for other girls are the best way how to make one of the best adult games even better.
Judging by his posts and by how much he cancels payments its a personal/passion project. Dont know about him but when I do personal projects I am doing it for myself not for others. I dont think the technical changes will make offcuts better either but I doubt the creator cares about my opinion because he is probably doing it for his own personal interests. And I dont think this is a bad thing because if he remains invested in the project the game will also end up being better in the long run.

joecoe

Jun 14, 2018
Judging by his posts and by how much he cancels payments its a personal/passion project. Dont know about him but when I do personal projects I am doing it for myself not for others. I dont think the technical changes will make offcuts better either but I doubt the creator cares about my opinion because he is probably doing it for his own personal interests. And I dont think this is a bad thing because if he remains invested in the project the game will also end up being better in the long run.
That's a good point. But I expect that if he prioritize technical changes, it will take ages to release version with path for one of the other girls, unless he has significantly more free time. If 0.3 is released in this June, the optimistic estimate for version with new path is one year, and a realistic estimate about 2 years. I don't even mention a pessimistic estimate.
But take it, or leave it. We have no other option. :)

Reactions: Tom10
4.80 star(s) 77 Votes