3.20 star(s) 26 Votes

darkx388

Jan 7, 2019
Can you blame us for being anxious? This game was refreshing, it's not everyday you find a game with decent plot development that you haven't already played. I knew going in that it'd probably have few frequent updates, but after finishing it I couldn't help but ask in case I was wrong.

Reactions: Oppai Auteur

Dilettante

Jun 6, 2017
Can you blame us for being anxious? This game was refreshing, it's not everyday you find a game with decent plot development that you haven't already played. I knew going in that it'd probably have few frequent updates, but after finishing it I couldn't help but ask in case I was wrong.
Just stating it. These comments is normal for every thread of course. It's only positive.

Oppai Auteur

Developer of Old Friends and Public Transport
Game Developer
Mar 26, 2018
Great Game so far, just completed the current version and I loved every second of it. I'm usually a fan of games were you have choices like in a dating sim, this is different but good since the storylines kinda intriguing.

Noticed that most here aren't fans of the art, I guess i'm in the minority since I actually enjoyed it. Aside from that how frequent are the updates going to be? I read how your not looking to get money via patreon, and that your using this game as a learning experience. So i'm assuming the updates are far apart, do you have a set timeline or is it come and go based on when you have free time? Either way great game.
Glad your enjoying the game

I don't know when "most" people weren't fans of Oppai's art and his fans were minority here, but i certainly don't feel like it's how it is now. Most of the people that comment overall like or love his work, and biggest gripe of critics is that they just don't like one specific character or another. Or they don't like lack of choices. Not art per se. Don't even remember last time someone had problem with that. As for the updates frequency, yeah, don't expect monthly releases that many people here and on patreon used to by now. He's just doing this in his free time. And no, no set timelines. Right decision if you ask me. No need for all that massive drama these timelines and patreon can cause.
Most of the art complaints are confined to issues with specific characters, which usually means they think the rest is fine, which is good in it's own way I suppose

I'm more than happy to avoid the kind of drama patreon brings when you cant commit to a consistent update schedule

I misspoke about the art, I browsed through the last few pages of this thread and noticed a few comments critiquing it so I made an assumption based on me being to lazy to read everything. I agree with the no timeline thing, especially considering how he's essentially doing this for free. It'll still suck, but can't complain. I'll probably put this on the back-burner and re-visit in a few months to see if he's posted any updates. Either way thanks for the response.
I'm hoping it wont actually be months between updates lol

Yep, nobody can complain, that's what's great about it. He's posting some awesome pictures frequently in his art thread, so you can check that if you like. As for the game, now it's in process of upgrading with better quality + adding new stuff. So yeah, it would be a while.
I'm hoping the redo is going to be the last long wait for an update

Since Oppai is using this game as much as an "on the job training" tool, we've all watched him progress with his Daz art skills.

Originally, there were issues related to lighting (a lot of the work seemed too dark) and graininess. And there were some specific character disagreements by some (Sarah too muscular, Katie too light-skinned).

The writing was the biggest attraction early, smart and funny. Plus, Miranda, the main love interest (not that you could tell yet), is a more unique leading lady compared to the bulk of adult games out there.

As Oppai's Daz skill grows, any complaints now tend to the specific character, rather than the art itself, so, ultimately, most people will probably fall more into your other category: "When's the next update."

Not a bad "problem" to have for a fledgling dev.
There are worse problems to have, definitely lol

I remember those issues with renders and discussions about characters. But since most of these were hugely improved (except people just disliking some character part), i thought darkx388 was just checking first pages of the thread. And yeah, "update when?" is easily the most popular comment from newcomers.
'Update when?' is just one you have to get used to right off the bat

Nice to know my work sets itself apart!

Just stating it. These comments is normal for every thread of course. It's only positive.
(y)

Links234

Jan 4, 2019
I'm liking this game for the most part so far. Being an assman, I'm really loving the character models ;) However...

I've already mentioned before, no one will be optional in this game. Eventually James will get with everyone at different points, you'll have to get used to characters you don't like appearing. All the relationships are part of the story!
I feel that that's a shame, because I personally wasn't a fan of the Katie "route" at all, and I ended up fast-forwarding through it. It's not even about her looks; it's more that I can't stand her personality, because I've never really been a fan of people like that, so I really didn't want anything to do with her at all. I really like all of the other characters, especially personality-wise (Sarah and Miranda being tied for favorite) and would much rather pursue them and ignore Katie if I could. It sounds like you never intended this to be a dating sim type game, where we can pursue each of the women separately or have a harem with whoever we like, or whatever, and while I would generally prefer a game with characters as great as these to be more of a dating sim, I think I would like this game more if we could ignore characters we don't want to deal with. Just my two cents.

Oh and please let us change the main character's name!

But other than all of that, I'm looking forward to see where you take this. Keep up the great work!

Oppai Auteur

Game Developer
Mar 26, 2018
I'm liking this game for the most part so far. Being an assman, I'm really loving the character models ;) However...

I feel that that's a shame, because I personally wasn't a fan of the Katie "route" at all, and I ended up fast-forwarding through it. It's not even about her looks; it's more that I can't stand her personality, because I've never really been a fan of people like that, so I really didn't want anything to do with her at all. I really like all of the other characters, especially personality-wise (Sarah and Miranda being tied for favorite) and would much rather pursue them and ignore Katie if I could. It sounds like you never intended this to be a dating sim type game, where we can pursue each of the women separately or have a harem with whoever we like, or whatever, and while I would generally prefer a game with characters as great as these to be more of a dating sim, I think I would like this game more if we could ignore characters we don't want to deal with. Just my two cents.
Honestly, I'm well aware the game would be more popular if people could skip certain characters content, the recent opinions on Katie in the new update showed that. But that isn't what I'm going for in this game, a lot of those game were you can skip characters don't really account for it, if you skip that content its like those characters aren't even in the game and I really don't like that. All of my characters have relationships, their friends, or their family etc. Everyone in the game is there for a reason and relationships have a point, even someone like Katie. It's neither a dating sim or harem game, I have a particular story I want to tell

And like I've said before, even if Katie rubs some the wrong way she is my absolute favorite to write, so she's going nowhere :p

I don't actually have the coding knowledge on to do that

Ignatz

What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow
Donor
Feb 17, 2018
Well, just stick with the description Visual Novel (VN) and not game. Done and done.

Nerttu

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
It`s quite easy my friend !!!! Just open script.rpy with your WordPad and change the FIRST line name what ever you want !!!! (y)

define j = Character("Your name") !!!

magus448

May 22, 2018
I haven't done any coding used in renpy (and have only changed variables through the console), but it seems in games where you name the MC, a variable (something like 'u,name') is used to represent the name in dialogue, menus, etc... Said variable is set in the beginning when you input a name .

Oppai Auteur

Game Developer
Mar 26, 2018
Well, just stick with the description Visual Novel (VN) and not game. Done and done.
That's how I've always viewed it, I guess others feel different lol

Maybe get a visual novel tag attached?

Reactions: quinfax

Dilettante

Jun 6, 2017
That's how I've always viewed it, I guess others feel different lol

Maybe get a visual novel tag attached?
Imo, it depends on person's experience. And tag is not always helping. Like, i've seen many people here without any idea what "visual novel"\"VN" even is exactly. If it's game genre, if it's not, meaning of it. Also, people are generally lazy. So, chance of them of them learning when taught here is not high.
Example, if person reads mainly classic visual novels (japanese ones), like i did before coming here, he may not actually get what you're saying. Many of jap visual novels are date sims, and can have bazillion choices in them. While staying story driven visual novels. Other deal is lack of so many tags on this forum + selective use of them + merging of multiple types of genre\tags in one. By your description
Honestly, I'm well aware the game would be more popular if people could skip certain characters content, the recent opinions on Katie in the new update showed that. But that isn't what I'm going for in this game, a lot of those game were you can skip characters don't really account for it, if you skip that content its like those characters aren't even in the game and I really don't like that. All of my characters have relationships, their friends, or their family etc. Everyone in the game is there for a reason and relationships have a point, even someone like Katie. It's neither a dating sim or harem game, I have a particular story I want to tell
I'm not sure what additional tag is even needed. But the fact that Links234 expected this game to be "date sim" with multiple routes for each girl is of course not exactly right, and should be more generally expected from "sandbox" type of games.

Oppai Auteur

Game Developer
Mar 26, 2018
Hey guys, just a short progress update

I already mentioned the little prologue featuring Madison and James that I've completed, well now we have Day 0 finished as well. The script has been edited and expanded, plus the entire thing has been re-rendered in 1080p, worked out about 40+ extra renders.

That was just under three weeks to write/render both the prologue and Day 0, which isn't bad, hopefully I'll be able to keep up this pace when redoing all the old content, then we have the new content and Day 7 that will be in the final release as well. Lot of work to get through lol

Thanks again for the interest and support :cool:

Anyway, on to Day 1! (y)

Oppai Auteur

Game Developer
Mar 26, 2018
Nothing new to report guys, things are progressing as usual

Thought I'd jump on here though and let you see the main menu image for the redo when it launches! This has so many characters in it that I had to render it in three parts so the computer could handle it, then combine them all together with GIMP lol

Menu 5

Menu 5.png

Ignatz

Donor
Feb 17, 2018
You made an error in the render, I am sorry to inform you. Miranda's left hand somehow got messed up during posing and came off MC's penis.

Considering the effort you went through to produce the shot, it is sad to think how you will now have to rerender the whole thing.

Oppai Auteur

Game Developer
Mar 26, 2018
You made an error in the render, I am sorry to inform you. Miranda's left hand somehow got messed up during posing and came off MC's penis.

Considering the effort you went through to produce the shot, it is sad to think how you will now have to rerender the whole thing.
.....Hilarious :sneaky:

Dilettante

Jun 6, 2017
Nothing new to report guys, things are progressing as usual

Thought I'd jump on here though and let you see the main menu image for the redo when it launches! This has so many characters in it that I had to render it in three parts so the computer could handle it, then combine them all together with GIMP lol
Looking good. Both the characters and that nice wood. :D Liking Pepper's and Katie's impressions. And excited to see the plump boss's first appearance.
James and Miranda looks damn great together btw. And i see his tool is always at attention. (y) All the ladies except Katie seem like they dream to be at Miranda's place.
It's difficult for me to take my eyes off those two leftmost thighs :love:
I'm also liking all those bushes ladies showing, and how different they all are.

Ignatz

Donor
Feb 17, 2018
For a total order of 14 thighs, please. Although, as we know, I'm willing to give two of them to others.

3.20 star(s) 26 Votes