-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I could be wrong, but based on my own life, you don't write like this about something as dark as this, unless you are/have been in a dark place.
Agreed. I don't know that it's impossible, but I'd say it's extremely difficult to convey realistic descriptions of the struggle or realistic dialogue of someone going through it unless you have direct experience with it yourself.

MikeyUK

Apr 5, 2020
He did a Private Release of 0.17 which was then released pubicly by someone ahead of official schedule. Maybe he'll only release the finale Privately?

Havik79

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2019
Agreed. I don't know that it's impossible, but I'd say it's extremely difficult to convey realistic descriptions of the struggle or realistic dialogue of someone going through it unless you have direct experience with it yourself.
Wouldn't be impossible, and I not to speak for the dev without knowing for sure, but given how this hits me, I would say he has been in a dark place before this game started, and probably why it is affecting him now, probably started out as a way to move past things, but shit has a way of catching up on you.

• Sad
Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

Rohse

Jan 4, 2018
It's not an update, but I thought people might be interested in seeing it anyway.
There's still no money being taken on August 1st, but it appears that they'll start again september 1st. Might just be the way Patreon shows accounts being paused.

Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

Rohse

Jan 4, 2018
And they're also stalled payments for september. I'm guessing if we ever hear from the dev again it'll be on their premises completely.

linkinn

Apr 25, 2020
Give him time—there's probably a lot of pressure and anxiety involved in releasing an ending, especially one that's likely to be bittersweet, as was expected from the start.

If Professor is still reading here, don't pressure yourself brother, you got this. Release the ending that feels right to you, it's impossible to make everyone happy.

ramvivat

Engaged Member
Jun 28, 2022
If Professor is still reading here, don't pressure yourself brother, you got this. Release the ending that feels right to you, it's impossible to make everyone happy.
anyone performing in the circus arena will be liked by 25%, disliked by 25% and will be indifferent to 50% of the audience. and if he tries to spin like a top, no one will like him at all. so it is better to stand in your place and have your own reliable 25% of the audience that loves you.

Reactions: linkinn

11john11

May 4, 2024
I've got the game title music playing in the background, while reading these comments, hoping dev is safe and well is making me very sad......

Reactions: GershGersh

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
Dev is around and is play testing some recently updated VNs around here.
Any news on the dev or the vn?
Just that in this thread there is not much to say after the rather moderately to dowcast predictions for the endings:
Last update to supporters was six months ago where we got warned:

There's so much to cover in this last release and dev needs it to be just right.
So, dev is taking the time with this and wants to end ODS on a high note.
It's a challenge, because although none of the endings are terrible for our reluctant hero,
none of them are "good" endings. But they each should be satisfying for you as the player.
And don't worry, the MC does find some degree of happiness in each of the final paths even if they do hurt a bit.

Botom line is: we should hope dev learns a bit from One day at a time about putting on a good show of human dignity amidst all those gloomy downright depressing endings we are heading into with this game ... already forewarned of no good ending, not even one!

Last edited:

Spfjolietjake

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 26, 2019

Just that in this thread there is not much to say after the rather moderately to dowcast predictions for the endings:

There's so much to cover in this last release and dev needs it to be just right.
It's a challenge, because although none of the endings are terrible for our reluctant hero,
none of them are "good" endings. But they each should be satisfying for you as the player.
And don't worry, the MC does find some degree of happiness in each of the final paths even if they do hurt a bit.

Botom line is: we should hope dev learns a bit from One day at a time about putting on a good show of human dignity amidst all those gloomy downright depressing endings we are heading into with this game ... already forewarned of no good ending, not even one!
Thank you kind human. I totally don't expect happily ever after, just glad it sounds like the dev is trucking on to this unique vn's finale!

Tora-uma

Oct 27, 2020

That's great news! I really hope he's alright and he's soon gonna give ODS the ending it deserves:love:

Rohse

Jan 4, 2018
Finally some good news.

Professor Ametyst said:

Or, it's On Distant Shores 1.0 final release. I know it's hard to believe. I am not dead. I have not fallen off the edge of the earth. And somehow I found it in myself to finally finish my magnum opus. Or at least my sort of okay opus. I have finished all the renders. I have finished all the dialogue. I have finished all the scripting. The hard work is complete. All that's left is beta testing for the next couple of days. I will be releasing the final product on Sunday evening.

Now, as for what is next. I'm not quite sure yet. I do want to do a new game. I officially have the bug to create again. However, like I've mentioned in the past it needs to be a much smaller scale story. Something more intimate. Less philosophical. AND most importantly not so damn dialogue heavy. My MC has to officially be the most stuck inside his head narrator in the history of visual novels and I doubt anyone comes close. It's exhausting writing it and I know it's exhausting reading it. I'll probably post again in a few weeks with where I am on that.

Stats of ODS for anyone who cares:
8300 Renders
180 Animations
332,714 Words (which is 30K more words than in Book 1 of GoT, which is ridiculous)

In the meantime, look out for the Patreon release this Sunday evening. Take care and talk to everyone soon.

4.10 star(s) 93 Votes