Zoey Raven

Game Developer/Walkthrough/Guide Maker
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
Since I'm writing a scene with her now, I figured it would be a good time to post about it, because I know I'll get questions. Angie (Ricks Wife) has points if you haven't noticed. There is no penalty in the game for being nice to her and flirting. What this will mean in the future is anybody's guess. This game does have a corruption tag after all. Maybe you wanna be a dick and have an affair with your sponsor's wife behind his back. Or, maybe they will mean something else altogether. I just want to be clear, you'll have a choice, even if you've accumulated points with her, when whatever event I cook up in my mind (or already have there) happens with her. That's all I'm saying about it, refer people to this post who have questions.

Last edited:

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
I don't wanna out this person in the thread because they sent this to me privately. But I would like to share it with you guys. It's probably the most beautiful thing anyone has ever written to me about anything I've ever done artistically. This made ME tear up when I read it.

1637799550528.png

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Patreon progress update post:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Dev Update #26 (Progess)

Yes that's Rick, he said he wouldn't sponsor MC anymore if he didn't get a promo (that or most of the others I have are not post worked yet, or are sexy time ones I can't show publicly)! :) Although I might have posted one on twitter a few days back...

Anyway, I'm about a day early on this dev update, but I wanted to share it with you, and since I was thinking about it, I figured I'd go ahead and do it.

At a little under one week of development, we are at around 300 renders and 3 animations. We are currently sitting at about 1200 lines of code, so I am playing render catch up and that will certainly grow (the animations took over a day to render, so I wrote a lot).

We will also have a new location that will be somewhat frequently visited I will need to light, and it's gigantic! I haven't picked the exact house yet, but I have three I'm choosing from and they are all really big. I am referring to Audrey's brother's place, where she will be staying now. That will take some time.

Writing is flowing very smoothly so far, and there will definitely be an event that impacts one of the characters in this update and tests their ability to say sober. You'll get to see what the right things to do are when an addict is confronted with a jarring life experience. It won't be easy for them, but like I said, they'll do the right things. I've shown enough of the wrong (not that characters won't have chances to mess up still, I just I feel I needed to show one doing what you need to do to get through something hard).

That's about all for now, I'll send up a poll to high tier patrons about the 4K render of the month in the next couple of days, so you guys be on the lookout!

Hope you are all doing well! Cheers!

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
Well guys, I thought I'd seen it all, but I just got punished for accurately depicting recovery, because someone didn't like what most people have to do to get sober. Kinda gotta laugh at this one TBH. :) I've made Rick pretty tame compared to my sponsor when first I came to the program. What people don't get is if someone really wants to be sober they'll do whatever is suggested to get sober. Also I simply don't agree with him that it's handled in a "heavy handed holier than thou manner". I don't know how many times I say "you have to come to it on your own" and "no one is going to make you do anything". Whatever.

Last edited:

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
Also I simply don't agree with him that it's handled in a "heavy handed holier than thou manner". I don't know how many times I say "you have to come to it on your own" and "no one is going to make you do anything". Whatever.
Yea, I don't get the perspective of this "reviewer" at all. I wonder if he played the actual game or just read a few reviews and skimmed the dialog at high speed. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this seems way out of left field.

I've never been in a 12 step program myself, but the way you depict it here is quite welcoming and accepting of the MC and his fellow addicts, wherever they come from. I don't sense any pressure at all, and the whole "god" thing is addressed with as little emphasis on actual religion as possible. The MC picked music as his higher power, for example, and Rick thought it was a great idea. Hardly "holier than thou".

Also, I think you must have included at least 3 or 4 times where Rick or Barb mentioned that if the MC relapses, than it is just part of recovery and to not beat himself up about it, and just keep trying.

Besides, let's hypothetically take the reviewer's argument at face value, that even if the 12-step process is "holier than thou", how does that detract from your game's rating? Is he taking off stars because you are depicting it too accurately? Strange.

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
Yea, I don't get the perspective of this "reviewer" at all. I wonder if he played the actual game or just read a few reviews and skimmed the dialog at high speed. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this seems way out of left field.

I've never been in a 12 step program myself, but the way you depict it here is quite welcoming and accepting of the MC and his fellow addicts, wherever they come from. I don't sense any pressure at all, and the whole "god" thing is addressed with as little emphasis on actual religion as possible. The MC picked music as his higher power, for example, and Rick thought it was a great idea. Hardly "holier than thou".

Also, I think you must have included at least 3 or 4 times where Rick or Barb mentioned that if the MC relapses, than it is just part of recovery and to not beat himself up about it, and just keep trying.

Besides, let's hypothetically take the reviewer's argument at face value, that even if the 12-step process is "holier than thou", how does that detract from your game's rating? Is he taking off stars because you are depicting it too accurately? Strange.
It's totally not objective, it's not a review it's an opinion, or a value judgement of something I didn't even create. Recovery itself.

Reactions: haooni and MV_1999

Tarrang

Oct 13, 2021
I'm glad you avoided having them go the full addict route. Why would anyone want to see MC dead, in prison or the mental hospital or the girls the same or as prostitutes? That would be the end of that route and it happens enough in real life. That life has no good end without recovery.

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
I'm glad you avoided having them go the full addict route. Why would anyone want to see MC dead, in prison or the mental hospital or the girls the same or as prostitutes? That would be the end of that route and it happens enough in real life. That life has no good end without recovery.
What you say is the exact reason I did it like I am. I was originally going to do a full junkie path, but A no one would play it, and B, it was just untenable. As you say it would end with him in one of those scenarios. Plus as I've said previously. You can watch that on the news, you can't watch recovery.

Nov 19, 2020
What you say is the exact reason I did it like I am. I was originally going to do a full junkie path, but A no one would play it, and B, it was just untenable. As you say it would end with him in one of those scenarios. Plus as I've said previously. You can watch that on the news, you can't watch recovery.
Then people would complain that the game has a depressing ending, VN creators can't win it seems. FWIW the upbeat story about recovery and love that you're creating is a breath of fresh air when most games that contain substance abuse are about corruption. Just know there are plenty of us around who enjoy it as it is now :).

Tarrang

Oct 13, 2021
As to A, I think some sadistic types would like it.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Latest progress report from Patreon:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Dev Update #27 (Progress)

Looks like Angie is hitting the yoga pretty hard, maybe you walked in on her...

Quick check in, we are at around 2500 lines of code, 5 animations, and 700 renders. I have three big scenes, and one small scene left in Day 17 though (one is Audrey's new place I have to light which will take time), and then all of Day 18. So I'd say we're maybe 35% or 1/3 at this point. I am one scene ahead on writing, and my PC in rendering away. That's about all I have for now.

Hope everyone is enjoying the Holiday Season and I hope everyone is doing well. Cheers!

JC23

Sep 25, 2016
Hey Zoey Raven , I've followed your stuff in the site ever since the .pdf guides. (It was you, right? I'm not going insane, right? Please help...)

Anyway, your game is definitely one of the best ones in the site. Loved every second of it.

The recovery of an addict can be really hard to write, a lot of greys, but you've done so with splendid care and superb quality.

I think I'll add it to my signature, just in case someone stumbles upon it.

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
:(
So... at least another month. Oh well, better longer waiting times than a rushed project.
... or Zoey cutting down on his guides and walkthroughs.
I just started work on the 18th of November because I took a much deserved vacation for the first time since I started producing any content, that includes WT's and Mods. So, yea, it's gonna be longer between this update and last.

ZTex

Engaged Member
Apr 3, 2019
I just started work on the 18th of November because I took a much deserved vacation for the first time since I started producing any content, that includes WT's and Mods. So, yea, it's gonna be longer between this update and last.
You should have treated yourself to a longer holiday break in general.

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
Do you have an older Android device? I don't do the port, I'll see if ShaddyModda can help you trouble shoot it. He does the port, but you're the first person who's reported any sort of issue with it and it's been out over a month now. The extent of my knowledge would be to uninstall and reinstall. But as I said I can't help much with the port. So I hope he sees this and can help you. I'll send him a discord message as well.

ShaddyGames

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 19, 2020
Uninstall, but you'll also need to go into your 'Media Manager' and go to 'Explore/RenPy-Saves/one.day.at.a.time' and delete the 'persistent' file. This should reset the settings to default. Then reinstall the game. Make sure to NOT Enable "Video HWA". This is a setting for newer devices only. Unfortunately, as far as I know, there's no way for renpy to detect if the device is compatible with this feature or not.

4.50 star(s) 129 Votes