FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
This is kind of the point, but I get hate for it anyway. Oh well, they aren't going anywhere.
Also, I know some of these people are skipping scenes and text or else they would know movies are a BIG way these characters bond, it's talked about a lot. But, again, people can't be bothered to read, so...

I'll say it for the 1000th time. I'm offering an experience, if you don't like said experience, there are 1000's of other people offering experiences on here that you can check out. Now I personally think some of THEM suck, but do I go in their threads and tell them, or almost beg them to change their game to suit me. No, I just choose not to consume their product. Not to mention the majority of you (including me for some games) aren't paying a red cent for any of these games. So, what do you really have to complain about? The sake of complaining, because it's not EXACTLY how you want it? Well, I got news for you. THAT DOESN'T EXIST! :)

P.S. - Unless you create it yourself, HOWEVER you'll have people who don't like it exactly how you like it. It's a no win scenario, or kobayashi maru if you will (now people can hate of me for making references in the thread, by the way that's Star Trek so nobody has to look it up). So, I make the game the best why I feel it should be made and let people cry and whine. Most of the time I can ignore them. Lately I just want to call them out. LOL
Let me say that that is a much healthier attitude.

Peace :)

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
Nor should you have tried to rebut that review. It's just his opinion and is already rebutted by most of the other reviews.

You can't please everybody.
No one can.

To be perfectly honest, I do have a particular distaste for over the knee opinions.

Like a moderately famous Neurologist (Portuguese but educated in the US) is keen to point out, "Having an opinion is a LOT of work" (emphasis mine).

For an opinion to have validity, the opinionator must be thoroughly informed on the subject, he's also forced to be impartial, otherwise it isn't a fair opinion but a political statement.

The simple fact that you have something to say about a subject, any subject, all the subjects, isn't really an opinion but a point of view. It has no weight. It means as much as YOU the carrier of the POV mean to the receiver.

In most of these cases, in what they call a "Review" around here, they mean Nothing. Sure they are given the power to express their POV, rating what they hardly ever understand with no objective criteria and most of the times with a rather superficial knowledge (when they do even have ANY) of the subject.

I've read "Reviews" where the reviewer states that they skipped most of the content... Yet, they had the gall to "Review" it. I don't think I need to say that I reported each and every one of those.

Zoey Raven while I empathize with your reaction to those reviews, I have to say that you shouldn't let it have any effect on you. If it's clear that they misunderstood everything, ignore them. If it's clear that they have ill intentions, report it. If, however they make good points and do it respectfully, learn what you can from it. Just don't feel obligated to act on it. Whether you do or don't, is always your choice. Always.

I speak for myself, but I think several others here will agree with me, I have your back. If they try to derail this, you may always intervene, but, you may also leave it to us. Focus on doing what we can't do for you, Create.

Am I right or Am I right, folks?

Zoey Raven

Game Developer/Walkthrough/Guide Maker
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
No one can.

To be perfectly honest, I do have a particular distaste for over the knee opinions.

Like a moderately famous Neurologist (Portuguese but educated in the US) is keen to point out, "Having an opinion is a LOT of work" (emphasis mine).

For an opinion to have validity, the opinionator must be thoroughly informed on the subject, he's also forced to be impartial, otherwise it isn't a fair opinion but a political statement.

The simple fact that you have something to say about a subject, any subject, all the subjects, isn't really an opinion but a point of view. It has no weight. It means as much as YOU the carrier of the POV mean to the receiver.

In most of these cases, in what they call a "Review" around here, they mean Nothing. Sure they are given the power to express their POV, rating what they hardly ever understand with no objective criteria and most of the times with a rather superficial knowledge (when they do even have ANY) of the subject.

I've read "Reviews" where the reviewer states that they skipped most of the content... Yet, they had the gall to "Review" it. I don't think I need to say that I reported each and every one of those.

Zoey Raven while I empathize with your reaction to those reviews, I have to say that you shouldn't let it have any effect on you. If it's clear that they misunderstood everything, ignore them. If it's clear that they have ill intentions, report it. If, however they make good points and do it respectfully, learn what you can from it. Just don't feel obligated to act on it. Whether you do or don't, is always your choice. Always.

I speak for myself, but I think several others here will agree with me, I have your back. If they try to derail this, you may always intervene, but, you may also leave it to us. Focus on doing what we can't do for you, Create.

Am I right or Am I right, folks?

I can't say they don't have an affect on me sometimes in the short term. But in the long term they never do. And, this one is very easily ignored. Because the guy just simply didn't get it, which is fine. Not sure why he said he devoted 4 hours to it though and wants that time back. That's a you problem. I don't do that with things I'm not into.

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
I can't say they don't have an effect on me sometimes in the short term. But in the long term they never do. And, this one is very easily ignored. Because the guy just simply didn't get it, which is fine. Not sure why he said he devoted 4 hours to it though and wants to back. That's a you problem. I don't do that with things I'm not into.
Look, 4 hours to read this? I am a VERY fast reader, took me a LOT, LOT more than 4 hours.

Skippers deserve NOTHING but disdain, don't even bother.

Peace :D

Reactions: Walter Victor

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
Just think about this way, you can't please everyone. Pick any piece of art, and you will find those that don't like it and review it poorly. Look up old reviews of 2001, Star Trek, The Godfather, Citizen Kane, or anything else loved today. Despite near universal acclaim now, look at the reviews of the day. There was always a handful of people who said the special effects were poor, the dialog was stilted, or that it was overly sentimental and melodramatic, or have other complaints. It just what happens when you create something and release it to the world.

Just look at all the 5 star reviews and positive comments here and elsewhere. Hundreds of people love One Day at a Time.

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
Just think about this way, you can't please everyone. Pick any piece of art, and you will find those that don't like it and review it poorly. Look up old reviews of 2001, Star Trek, The Godfather, Citizen Kane, or anything else loved today. Despite near universal acclaim now, look at the reviews of the day. There was always a handful of people who said the special effects were poor, the dialog was stilted, or that it was overly sentimental and melodramatic, or have other complaints. It just what happens when you create something and release it to the world.

Just look at all the 5 star reviews and positive comments here and elsewhere. Hundreds of people love One Day at a Time.
To be honest with you, I'm not a fan of Citizen Kane. However, I can respect what it did for film and the achievements it made in cinematography and how movies are made now. But as far as the story goes, it just didn't grab me. Which to your point, is fine. However I'd never tell someone else not to watch it, or that I was some kind of professional reviewer of the genre. Which a lot of these people think they are who review AVNs.

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
Also, when something's popular. It's going to draw hate. I watched a sports documentary once, and they said everybody hates the New England Patriots, you know why. Because they win, and if you win too much people want to knock you down. I think there's an element of that that goes on here. But such is life. If that wasn't true they wouldn't be including " I can't believe this has as of reviews as it does".

• Wow
Reactions: FatGiant

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
Also, when something's popular. It's going to draw hate. I watched a sports documentary once, and they said everybody hates the New England Patriots, you know why. Because they win, and if you win too much people want to knock you down. I think there's an element of that that goes on here. But such is life. If that wasn't true they wouldn't be including " I can't believe this guy is higher reviews as it did".
Now, I'm gonna go and look like a doofus... WhoDaFuck are the New England Patriots? Independence war Reenacters? Daniel Day-Lewis Fans?

And what to they win? Tea throwing contests? Muskets loading competitions? Bad hygiene Show offs? Amputation speed Extravaganzas?

I could Google it... but My Brain is a lot more entertaining... LOL

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
Now, I'm gonna go and look like a doofus... WhoDaFuck are the New England Patriots? Independence war Reenacters? Daniel Day-Lewis Fans?

And what to they win? Tea throwing contests? Muskets loading competitions? Bad hygiene Show offs? Amputation speed Extravaganzas?

I could Google it... but My Brain is a lot more entertaining... LOL

They're one of the most successful American football teams in the national football League in the last 15 years.

• Wow

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
They're one of the most successful American football teams in the national football League in the last 15 years.
Dang it, my options were a lot better... :p

Be honest, wouldn't you watch that, well , maybe not the Amputation one... LOOOOL

Anteron

Jun 17, 2023
Also, when something's popular. It's going to draw hate. I watched a sports documentary once, and they said everybody hates the New England Patriots, you know why. Because they win, and if you win too much people want to knock you down. I think there's an element of that that goes on here. But such is life. If that wasn't true they wouldn't be including " I can't believe this has as of reviews as it does".
Well, to be honest it's also because they cheated and got favoritism from officials...

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
To be honest with you, I'm not a fan of Citizen Kane. However, I can respect what it did for film and the achievements it made in cinematography and how movies are made now. But as far as the story goes, it just didn't grab me. Which to your point, is fine. However I'd never tell someone else not to watch it, or that I was some kind of professional reviewer of the genre. Which a lot of these people think they are who review AVNs.
Well, it's not for everyone. I can imagine many viewers would feel it drags a little in the middle, but its a whole experience. I love old movies, so Citizen Kane (and The Treasure of Sierra Madre, A Patch of Blue, Double Indemnity, Paths of Glory, Rashomon (I could go on and on, ha).), is one of my favorites.

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
Well, it's not for everyone. I can imagine many viewers would feel it drags a little in the middle, but its a whole experience. I love old movies, so Citizen Kane (and The Treasure of Sierra Madre, A Patch of Blue, Double Indemnity, Paths of Glory, Rashomon (I could go on and on, ha).), is one of my favorites.
That's certainly fair. As far as older stuff goes for me a lean more into foreign (to me) films and spaghetti westerns. Fellini, Sergio Leone, etc...

Reactions: Smarmint

Anteron

Jun 17, 2023
Rashoman was a foreign film - and it's the source of all those TV episodes where you'd see stories told from different people where each person had a very different telling of events, and at the end someone told the real story. Even made it into a Garfield cartoon in the late 80s.

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
Rashoman was a foreign film - and it's the source of all those TV episodes where you'd see stories told from different people where each person had a very different telling of events, and at the end someone told the real story. Even made it into a Garfield cartoon in the late 80s.
I'll have to make sure to check that out for myself, sounds cool!

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
That's certainly fair. As far as older stuff goes for me a lean more into foreign (to me) films and spaghetti westerns. Fellini, Sergio Leone, etc...
Well, if you try the other flavors of Film, you have a really RICH experience waiting for you.

The Iranian cinema. Indian outside of Bollywood. Polish. Norwegian and Danish. German after the 50's and 60's. French. Spanish. Turkish (this one will surprise you). Japanese, it's simply magnificent. Korean. Chinese. Australian. Thailand. Brazilian. Argentinian. The list goes on....

One extra that I need to put some emphasis, the Mexican cinema.

Even some movies from behind the Iron Curtain were special. Not all, but many were incredible. I hope you go for the subtitled versions and not the dubbed ones.

You may notice that I didn't mention the British and Italian cinema, with some exceptions, they were completely submerged in Hollywoodesque tropes, making them completely unremarkable. There are some fabulous titles that surpass that barrier, but most of it is simply visual chewing gum.

If you go for this exploratory trip, prepare for some stories that will haunt you forever, especially in the Japanese and Turkish cinema. They don't pull punches. Be warned.

What is special about these cinemas is that there's almost no coddling of the spectator. You're not spoon fed the plot. You will be expected to do some active watching instead of the passive pop-corn guzzling. If you watch at home, expect to have to pause a few times to organize your thoughts and feelings. This isn't cinema on Easy Mode.

Be warned.

Reactions: Smarmint

Horny Toad

May 23, 2019
Saw that in a film class (I wasn't a student in that class though) and I remember that the instructor said the movie influenced George Lucas as well, more the cinematography.

It was a good film, remember most of that I saw it back '92.

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
Well, if you try the other flavors of Film, you have a really RICH experience waiting for you.

The Iranian cinema. Indian outside of Bollywood. Polish. Norwegian and Danish. German after the 50's and 60's. French. Spanish. Turkish (this one will surprise you). Japanese, it's simply magnificent. Korean. Chinese. Australian. Thailand. Brazilian. Argentinian. The list goes on....

One extra that I need to put some emphasis, the Mexican cinema.

Even some movies from behind the Iron Curtain were special. Not all, but many were incredible. I hope you go for the subtitled versions and not the dubbed ones.

You may notice that I didn't mention the British and Italian cinema, with some exceptions, they were completely submerged in Hollywoodesque tropes, making them completely unremarkable. There are some fabulous titles that surpass that barrier, but most of it is simply visual chewing gum.

If you go for this exploratory trip, prepare for some stories that will haunt you forever, especially in the Japanese and Turkish cinema. They don't pull punches. Be warned.

What is special about these cinemas is that there's almost no coddling of the spectator. You're not spoon fed the plot. You will be expected to do some active watching instead of the passive pop-corn guzzling. If you watch at home, expect to have to pause a few times to organize your thoughts and feelings. This isn't cinema on Easy Mode.

Be warned.

While you might be right, I love Italian cinema. But, to each their own on that, and I've certainly dipped into some of the stuff you're referring to from those other countries, just not as far back as the 50-60's. I honestly wish I had more time to dig stuff like that up, but being a DEV takes a lot of time. And, the free time I do have is usually focused on my surface stuff, so I can relax and don't have to concentrate as hard. Since I'd been doing that all day.

• Red Heart
4.50 star(s) 130 Votes