OldHiccup

Our Home DEV
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 29, 2021
cumsumnida

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for highlighting areas where I can improve.

You’re right, the game was initially designed as a free-roam. However, in version 2.12.1, we made adjustments to allow players who prefer the Visual Novel (VN) mode to enjoy the game as well. To achieve this, I had to change some strategies, focusing more on the story and less on free-roam events. Some free-roam events are still planned, but they will only be introduced at a specific moment in the main storyline.

Regarding the story being incomplete, you are correct. The game is still in development, which means the story will be completed as we progress. This includes the subplots of the supporting characters, as I recently explained on my Patreon.

To ensure each character’s story flows smoothly without abrupt interruptions, it’s important to stay connected with each narrative. Each character has their own life and challenges, which are interconnected with the main character’s life. We develop versions quarterly, focusing on one character per quarter, chosen by my $10 Patreon supporters. These characters already have their stories planned and can be initiated at any time. I rely on my Patreons to help prioritize the content for the characters they want to see.

Each character has an average of two quarters of content. Since we release versions monthly, each character receives six versions to complete the first chapter of their story.

This ensures that when playing in VN mode, you stay connected with a character's story for a long period. Since it's not feasible to complete one character's entire story before moving on to another due to continuity issues, you'll start the next version with a different character and can return to the previous character soon after.

Regarding the renderings, I left a notice in the game stating that the initial part will undergo a rework. This rework is progressing slowly because my focus is always on delivering new content. It won’t be necessary to restart the game once the rework is complete. I’m not proud of the initial part of the game, as we were inexperienced, but we have learned a lot over time and invested in better computers.

As for the number of romantic interests, unfortunately, I cannot reduce the number of characters. However, not all of them are romantic interests. Some characters appear solely to provide context to the story and help you remember the main character’s plot more easily.

Regarding the animations, this is an area we are still mastering. We have made significant progress in the latest animations for Mirella, but creating animations is a complex task. We no longer want to deliver low-quality animations, so we are working hard to improve. Animations are a bonus; our main focus is on creating really beautiful renders, and I believe you have noticed how much we have evolved.

Lastly, about the game’s conclusion, I would like to reiterate that "Our Home" is something we love and are happy to create. We are committed to finishing the game and are pleased with the results we are achieving and the development pace. Although some people think we are slow, we believe we are delivering content consistently, with a strong background story and quality. We have much to improve, but we won’t abandon the project.

Once again, thank you for your review, and I apologize if I couldn’t address all your points or if any of my responses disappointed you.

Reactions: acondo

AlexMpog

Oct 17, 2022
Hello OldHiccup
In a matter of consistency - should I play sandbox or VN mode?

I mean i have bad experiences when sandbox games were turned into VN (or Vn was added as an option) - but story became inconsistent and abrupt - due to the fact that game was designed as sandbox originally.
I prioritize story/logic more.

So - what would you suggest? Thanks for reply beforehand.

OldHiccup

Our Home DEV
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 29, 2021
Hello OldHiccup
In a matter of consistency - should I play sandbox or VN mode?

I mean i have bad experiences when sandbox games were turned into VN (or Vn was added as an option) - but story became inconsistent and abrupt - due to the fact that game was designed as sandbox originally.
I prioritize story/logic more.

So - what would you suggest? Thanks for reply beforehand.
Honestly, I love the free-roam mode, so if I had to choose, I would opt for it. However, I have an important note: "Our Home" is not like other free-roam games with short events and small missions that offer minimal progress. In our game, free-roam is more about the freedom to choose what to focus on at any given moment.

There will be smaller events in the future, with brief interactions with characters, but they won't be directly related to the main story. We're prioritizing the narrative before adding these small pleasure points in free-roam.

I've read various threads where people complained that some games prioritized micro missions and ended up neglecting the story. I don't want to make that mistake.

The VN mode can be enabled and disabled at any time without needing to restart the game. Of course, there are some caveats, such as not enabling VN mode while on the map.

Even so, I would choose the free-roam mode, considering the points I've mentioned. Since free-roam doesn't have as many small actions, you should be fine if you follow the hints.

AlexMpog

Oct 17, 2022
Honestly, I love the free-roam mode, so if I had to choose, I would opt for it. However, I have an important note: "Our Home" is not like other free-roam games with short events and small missions that offer minimal progress. In our game, free-roam is more about the freedom to choose what to focus on at any given moment.

There will be smaller events in the future, with brief interactions with characters, but they won't be directly related to the main story. We're prioritizing the narrative before adding these small pleasure points in free-roam.

I've read various threads where people complained that some games prioritized micro missions and ended up neglecting the story. I don't want to make that mistake.

The VN mode can be enabled and disabled at any time without needing to restart the game. Of course, there are some caveats, such as not enabling VN mode while on the map.

Even so, I would choose the free-roam mode, considering the points I've mentioned. Since free-roam doesn't have as many small actions, you should be fine if you follow the hints.
Free-roam that is then.

Thanks!

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: OldHiccup

Cidnelson_Jounin

Jul 3, 2020
What will i am do here? im stuck.
You have to send a message to Norah if I'm not mistaken, in the top right corner click on "show" it will open a mini interaction menu, open your cell phone there and look for the character Norah and then sleep until 07:00 . You can also see what you can do if you click on the first icon (if you are in sandbox mode if I'm not mistaken).

w1234@431

Jan 20, 2023
i run all VN now in sandboxie for virus protection. this VN is failing for a

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
OSError: [WinError 10013] An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "python-packages/discord.rpyc", line 2, in script
  File "S:\Games\Ourhome-2.19.2-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 823, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "S:\Games\Ourhome-2.19.2-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1178, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec(bytecode, globals, locals)
  File "game/python-packages/discord_ren.py", line 3, in <module>
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1007, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 986, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 664, in _load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 627, in _load_backward_compatible
  File "S:\Games\Ourhome-2.19.2-pc\renpy\loader.py", line 876, in load_module
    exec(code, mod.__dict__) # type: ignore
  File "python-packages/pypresence/__init__.py", line 7, in <module>
  File "python-packages/pypresence/baseclient.py", line 1, in <module>
  File "lib/python3.9/asyncio/__init__.py", line 43, in <module>
  File "lib/python3.9/asyncio/windows_events.py", line 8, in <module>
OSError: [WinError 10013] An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions

Windows-10-10.0.22621 AMD64
Ren'Py 8.2.3.24061702
Our Home 2.19.2
Sat Jul 27 15:17:58 2024

OldHiccup

Our Home DEV
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 29, 2021
i run all VN now in sandboxie for virus protection. this VN is failing for a

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "python-packages/discord.rpyc", line 2, in script
  File "S:\Games\Ourhome-2.19.2-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 823, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "S:\Games\Ourhome-2.19.2-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1178, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec(bytecode, globals, locals)
  File "game/python-packages/discord_ren.py", line 3, in <module>
  File "python-packages/pypresence/__init__.py", line 7, in <module>
  File "python-packages/pypresence/baseclient.py", line 1, in <module>
  File "lib/python3.9/asyncio/__init__.py", line 43, in <module>
  File "lib/python3.9/asyncio/windows_events.py", line 8, in <module>

Windows-10-10.0.22621 AMD64
Ren'Py 8.2.3.24061702
Our Home 2.19.2
Sat Jul 27 15:17:58 2024
Do you have internet access enabled in the game?

Give me more details about how it was executed in sandboxie so I can try to simulate it here.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Regarding your concern about viruses, I noticed that F95 created an alert on all games, which, in my opinion, doesn't make much sense because not all games contain viruses. I want to clarify that the links provided by me were created and made available by myself. Therefore, it is not a pirated or modified game by third parties.
And I have a reputation to uphold; it doesn't make sense for me to provide a code with a virus in my own game.
Additionally, I included the HASH of the files in the game's topic so that anyone can check if there were any modifications to the files.

About the problem, it seems that Sandboxie is preventing Discord's Rich Presence from working. I suggest disabling Rich Presence when starting the game. This might help while I look for a definitive solution to work around this issue.

The global settings only appear when you start the game for the first time.

Last edited:

w1234@431

Jan 20, 2023

Give me more details about how it was executed in sandboxie so I can try to simulate it here.

Regarding your concern about viruses, I noticed that F95 created an alert on all games, which, in my opinion, doesn't make much sense because not all games contain viruses. I want to clarify that the links provided by me were created and made available by myself. Therefore, it is not a pirated or modified game by third parties.
And I have a reputation to uphold; it doesn't make sense for me to provide a code with a virus in my own game.
Additionally, I included the HASH of the files in the game's topic so that anyone can check if there were any modifications to the files.

About the problem, it seems that Sandboxie is preventing Discord's Rich Presence from working. I suggest disabling Rich Presence when starting the game. This might help while I look for a definitive solution to work around this issue.

Hi
Yes - i block internet. host file on one drive - saves on another. protocol in place - only place drive 1 can access is drive 2. drive 2 is high AV priority and also blocked.

sigvar

Sep 5, 2021
Because the sandbox/freeroam mode is optional,

And during a survey I conducted, ~70% of players who played Our Home in the latest public version played in VN mode, so VN mode is more popular than Free-Roam mode. Therefore, I made a change to put VN mode at the focus of the game, ensuring that people who usually exclude the free-roam tag will discover the game.

I tried to find some data to better understand how many people exclude sandbox from their searches, but unfortunately, F95 does not provide this information.
Thanks for clearing that up. Really wish they would get the new tags out so things could be marked optional. That way you could filter out sandbox but still get results when it is optional and a VN mode is available.

OldHiccup

Our Home DEV
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 29, 2021
Hi
Yes - i block internet. host file on one drive - saves on another. protocol in place - only place drive 1 can access is drive 2. drive 2 is high AV priority and also blocked.
I made a small correction for players who use sandboxies. Things should work fine now. Let me know if it worked for you.
Just replace the file in the game/ folder.

Reactions: Warphorror

yesica

Jul 21, 2024
been eyeing this game for a fat minute now. been waiting for a full release or steam release my patience payed off cant wait to try this!

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: OldHiccup

Ceesko

Engaged Member
Jun 3, 2017
The game is not responding when clicking yes on are you sdre you want to continue? what gives?

3.80 star(s) 20 Votes