5.00 star(s) 13 Votes

Abazzaba

Sep 9, 2021
Interesting, I've never gotten one there. The other times I've seen this screen, changing my clothes or picking a different line during the scene let me continue, or is that not the case here?
It lets me advance just fine if I hit ignore.
Happens every newgame when Tamarack jumps out of her leaf pile.
Also got it again when going over to her house with Qiu.

Last edited:

Luunar

Jul 12, 2022
It lets me advance just fine if I hit ignore.
Happens every newgame when Tamarack jumps out of her leaf pile.
Also got it again when going over to her house with Qiu.
There seems to be a missing part of the bgm arrangement that's sort of Tamarack's "theme". Because of the way the game handles the music, it doesn't stop completely but it sort of continues along while adding in another instrument without pause. The game is just telling you the cello part (according to the error message) of that arrangement is missing from the rpa archive, or the file isn't in the expected directory, or it could simply be corrupted. You should be able to play it just fine but I'll report the issue as a bug and hope for the best!

Amnelis

Nov 24, 2020
Having read the dev's lattest posts regarding this mess & her pathetic back & forth replies on reddit I lost all respect I had for her & I'm officially out. For whatever reason her main concern continues to be defending rose at the cost of her own integrity & self respect. It was good while it lasted and I genuinelly hope those who stick around get to enjoy the game as development continues.

Her tumblr statements bellow:

GB Patch Games: Sensitivity Reader Update

Okay, well I am able to make another statement before Rose does. I can now explain much more easily why I didn’t fire Rose. There’s been new developments with the leakers. The people behind this have doxed Rose’s discord account (please don’t go looking for it) and also shared a screenshot of an email that was sent to my support address months ago. They believe that incriminates us somehow, but really all it’s done is shown in broad daylight what they were doing and why I was defending Rose so much. If I had brought up that email as a connection to this myself people understandably would’ve thought I was making a conspiracy.

However, it is out now. Here is the story- a few months ago someone who wanted to remain anonymous sent me an email with a screenshot where Rose called me a cracker. And I told them I appreciated the concern but it’s alright, was there evidence of Rose being unkind to players? They had nothing. No response.
As an aside, yes, I have been aware for a long time that Rose uses crude language when talking about me. That doesn’t mean I’ve hidden how evil they were from players. It means I’m allowed to choose what I’m comfortable with. That original “reveal” didn’t shock or upset me in any way. Our Life is a sensitive, wholesome game, but I’m a full-grown adult. I’m not innocent or pure. The game I released before OL is XOXO Blood Droplets. Something I wrote and released to the public is full of crude jokes, curse words, and violence. It’s cartoonish and comical, but edgy. Rose themselves likes to BS with bad words and I’m not accepting abuse because I think getting called a pussy is funny. I know Rose doesn’t hate me or wish me any harm. Rose also isn’t causing “discourse” for me and my games on purpose, they were joking that bringing up serious topics is “discourse” to some people. Ironically, the leakers who did this are trying to make some “discourse” on purpose.

Regardless, I initially thought that email was from someone earnestly worried for me and that they moved on when it was clear I was fine. But that’s not what happened. Them and at least one other person have been waiting for months to bring this up again. They went through almost a year’s worth of Rose’s private posts to collect as many unflattering screenshots as they could, and then they didn’t send them to me. They posted them publicly. I had a suspicion from the get go that it was the same person/people from before who couldn’t prove anything to me in private. And if true, how horrible is it that a bunch of the comments they shared were crude language towards me, something they already knew I’d brush off as nothing. They decided for me that it was wrong and they wanted the rest of the players to do the same. Or even less charitably, those extra posts were simply there to make Rose look as bad and untrustworthy as possible and they didn’t care that I was comfortable with it. I could not explain everything we were thinking/feeling at first, but behind the scenes we were discussing how this was personally motivated and not a knee-jerk act without forethought. And we do know for certain at least the main people involved now, and they do have personal issues with Rose.

Also, if you still believe that they just wanted to help the game at any length because Rose is that huge of a risk, showing that email and framing something innocuous about me (not fainting at the word “cracker” and politely being open to more proof) as serious “evidence of wrongdoing” at GB Patch Games makes me believe they want to smear Rose so bad they’ll try to turn players against me as well. Plus, the post is framed as “this email was anonymously sent to me”, but we know from account details that the people who could’ve gotten those screenshots of the discord and email are the same people who sent that email and started this situation, which is embarrassing. I’ve confirmed the screenshots shared in the email to me and the original public post came from the same private, “venting-safe” discord server. There’s very few people in there. We know it’s still you and not a separate source. I can’t prove they think I’m stupid or in their way, but I can’t see how anything they’re doing is trying to be beneficial to the creation of OL: NF. They told me in the email they’d give me more evidence if I requested it and I was ready to know, but instead they went silent for months and then did this.

I want it to be clear that this doesn’t mean players can’t wonder if Rose has enough experience to be a sensitivity reader right now, or to worry they’re so invested in the game that it’s going to effect how objective they are with their feedback, or to say that Rose is flawless and has never done anything hurtful. However, I hope you can understand why I was on Rose’s side and couldn’t just fire them over this. It felt so incredibly unfair. If another person tries to get their way by doing this in the future, I will not hail them as a hero and immediately fire at the target. And I don’t tolerate any racial harassment of any kind to anyone on my team.

If those people want to continue to share Rose’s private posts in retaliation, you can fuck off. If you somehow reveal now that Rose is secretly a murderer, I’m not gonna apologize and say I was so wrong about you. If you had tons of evidence of Rose being horrible to players, you should’ve sent it all to me and with full context to begin with in the email like you offered to do. I just don’t understand.
Any players who like to see someone’s least flattering points portrayed in the worst possible way and continue flocking to the leaks as fandom drama, I don’t want you in this fandom. I don’t want you to enjoy my games.

Anyone who has been truly hurt by this and are left confused and angry, I do completely understand that. I didn’t know how to handle this, and it made a lot of people not know how to keep trusting me. I am still looking into getting a community manager to help me better communicate with players, especially when something serious happens. And I’ll always be around for you to reach out to if you have doubts about anything.
GB Patch Games: Final Sensitivity Reader Update

Alright, this is going to be the last major update about this situation. While I’m very relieved and grateful we were able to stop the momentum of that initial post, that is not how everything ends.

Rose is choosing to remove themselves from the community and will be stepping down as a sensitivity reader. They were hired to go over Step 1 content and will not continue with that work. I’m not firing them outright or saying I’ll never trust their opinion again, but there is a lot that happened to process. It can’t be resolved instantly or perfectly. It’s been a very bad time for many reasons.

Obviously, Rose is shaken and upset by being targeted in a malicious way. I am not asking them to immediately be reassuring in public or to focus their energy on being a “face” of this company. It’s my job to handle concerns. However, Rose isn’t here to be your enemy. They can’t do everything people might want, but they don’t want to harm anyone. They are going to focus on resting and reflecting now.

I hope things can come back around on a positive note with Rose being a part of this community again someday. I absolutely do not support anyone who is going to insist that Rose is just “one of the bad ones” so it doesn’t matter what happens to them. Or those who think this isn’t a punishment and I must be harder on them or you’ll never forgive me. Rose is doing what they can for this community and project.
Now please allow Rose to take care of themselves, and I will continue with the usual development from here (with someone to help manage the community when I can find the right person).
Thank you for reading.

NoMyCupOfTea

May 21, 2023
For what I saw, apparently someone who was on discord during those conversations has said that the images posted were taken out of context and were even edited...

I am against what that Rose said, if it is true. But I'm not a judge, so I'm not going to judge something that I have no real knowledge of and that I don't know what is real.

Luunar

Jul 12, 2022
Having read the dev's lattest posts regarding this mess & her pathetic back & forth replies on reddit I lost all respect I had for her & I'm officially out. For whatever reason her main concern continues to be defending rose at the cost of her own integrity & self respect. It was good while it lasted and I genuinelly hope those who stick around get to enjoy the game as development continues.

I think I might be taking a break from the OL series as well for a while, but I'll likely continue to post the updates from the patreon here since not really everyone who likes to read it can subscribe every month.

forvt

Aug 7, 2022
From what I gathered rose is a man of color (I'm assuming that because in one of GB patch Tumblr posts a person used he/him pronome to refer to Rose and was really mad at GB patch for not defending rose Enough and allowing rose to step down from the position, calling the gb lady racist and other things.), so I understand why they're trying to defend this rose person, people can be really harsh on the internet over minor things (I'm not saying I agree with what rose said). As I said before I don't care about the situation enough so I'll gladly put all of this behind me. Rose is not working with GB patch for the time being and that's it.

Reactions: 2B9SA2

callhernene

Jul 1, 2022

Unbelievable that this is coming from the woman who snapped at a Tumblr anon for asking why it was 'not okay' to whitewash Qiu but perfectly fine to change Tamarack's ethnicity (as if Germans all over the world haven't been victims of microaggressions/'justified' bigotry since WWII).

Also the woman who has ignored it when her Discord mods attack POC for having concerns about the game regarding POC. She's never done it herself and has listened to the concerns of others, but she's definitely allowed us to be mistreated in her server. Precisely why I left.

But now it's okay because someone she hired is doing it? Regardless of if it was a malicious attack, what the Rose person did was wrong. Period. This isn't a case of 'well nobody's perfect guyz!11!' This person made terrible remarks. It would be fine if she approached this with the same energy she did other matters involving stuff like this, but she doesn't.

A person who asked an innocent question was cussed at by her but a person making malicious remarks wasn't fired? Nah, she needs to sort out her priorities, pronto. Someone needs to hold her accountable.

My problem is not that she doesn't mind Tamarack being 'blackwashed'/doesn't like Qiu being whitewashed. They both are her characters at the end of the day. My problem is people who have genuinely meant no harm when expressing issues or asking questions have been snapped at but an outright malicious person gets to catch a break. That's unacceptable. Either address the situations similarly from this point forward or own up to how you've treated people.

ChiakiCh

Mar 28, 2023
I just wanted to give my opinion (That's it, honest.)

Anyway, I just want to see this game grow and become even greater. I mean, it's only in Step 1 right now, and I already love it. Sure, things with Rose and everything are yes, bad, I'm not saying otherwise.

However, I can still deeply love a game, or anything for that matter, regardless of who's behind it. And with Our Life, as with many others, I love this game. So, while I am very discontent with the handling of the recent situation, I can look past it and instead, focus on this.

Hopefully development continues without any more hitches, and eventually (As planned in 2025), I will be able to enjoy Now and Forever to its fullest.

callhernene

Jul 1, 2022
Same. I know how to separate the creator from the product, so I will still enjoy the game. I might even possibly invest my money into games/merch.

Not anytime soon, though. I'm so glad Kickstarter had issues with my purchase, because as things are right now I cannot in good faith financially support her anymore, as this is not the first incident she has handled terribly and I can guarantee it will not be the last if she's not held accountable.

But I still love and am attached to the characters and the story she has created. Our Life literally helped mold my style of writing novels, so I'll forever be a fan. I just can't stand behind GB's behavior.

Savaralyn

Apr 30, 2023
Honestly the backlash to this is getting ridiculous, just because GB doesn't want to go for the most punitive nuclear option as a reaction to what Rose said. Its even more obvious on tumblr where GB is now getting super pedantic asks like "Why do you only have ONE black sensitivity reader?" (When the others are still people of color) and "You said you'd hire 'several' sensitivity readers but you only have three, that's not several!" (When it is).

Like, people are just desperate to stay mad and are out for blood over a fucking indie developer for trying to respond to an unforeseen situation in a calmer and more understanding way rather than immediately lashing out at that person with full vitriol.

gamwezs

Jul 12, 2018
Honestly the backlash to this is getting ridiculous, just because GB doesn't want to go for the most punitive nuclear option as a reaction to what Rose said. Its even more obvious on tumblr where GB is now getting super pedantic asks like "Why do you only have ONE black sensitivity reader?" (When the others are still people of color) and "You said you'd hire 'several' sensitivity readers but you only have three, that's not several!" (When it is).

Like, people are just desperate to stay mad and are out for blood over a fucking indie developer for trying to respond to an unforeseen situation in a calmer and more understanding way rather than immediately lashing out at that person with full vitriol.
I agree, I feel like this whole situation is being blown out of proportion, this is just my thoughts, but I don't think this will end up being a big deal in the long run, just a small road bump, eventually the team will move past it and everything will go back to normal, I doubt it'll have any effects on the game other than maybe slowing down the release of the newest beta build.

callhernene

Jul 1, 2022

You have to keep in mind that a lot of the people responding this way are doing so because they've seen her be pretty firm if not harsh with other individuals who have exhibited similar behavior.

If GB was more consistent and addressed Rose the way she has addressed others before in similar situations, a lot of whom were not even as shameless or loud as Rose was about it, I'm almost certain not as many people (except those who maliciously exposed Rose) would care nearly as much as they do.

GB's literally permanently turned off voice calls in her service because someone used language that made others feel unsafe (which I personally think was an overreaction, but it's her server), so it's odd that Rosa didn't get that same nuclear reaction. It just seems like special treatment. That's what people don't like, even though some aren't conveying/expressing that aspect of it well.

Luunar

Jul 12, 2022

Yeah I feel like the person asking why she only hired one black sensitivity reader was reaching for a "GOTCHA" moment so they could try to paint her as a racist to fit their narrative.

callhernene

Jul 1, 2022
Yeah I feel like the person asking why she only hired one black sensitivity reader was reaching for a "GOTCHA" moment so they could try to paint her as a racist to fit their narrative.
I agree. I don't think GB is racist, just quite poor at handling situations regarding marginalized groups/peoples. Which I feel like, to some extent, she cannot be blamed for due to not really being in that group. She knows this, which is why she does her best to rectify it (hiring sensitivity readers)

What I don't like is the tendency from her to flip-flop from being very firm if not harsh to being quiet. When is comes to some situations, she can firmly reprimand a POC for having an opinion that doesn't fit certain narratives, but when it comes to this, where a lot of people are hurt, she acts like she has no stake in it. Why is it that she can speak on some POC matters but not others? Either she can or cannot. She cannot just shift her stance when convenient, though. I hope from now on, she treats everyone else like she did Rose. Either that or apologize and own up to her biased behavior thus far.

Savaralyn

Apr 30, 2023
You have to keep in mind that a lot of the people responding this way are doing so because they've seen her be pretty firm if not harsh with other individuals who have exhibited similar behavior.

If GB was more consistent and addressed Rose the way she has addressed others before in similar situations, a lot of whom were not even as shameless or loud as Rose was about it, I'm almost certain not as many people (except those who maliciously exposed Rose) would care nearly as much as they do.

GB's literally permanently turned off voice calls in her service because someone used language that made others feel unsafe (which I personally think was an overreaction, but it's her server), so it's odd that Rosa didn't get that same nuclear reaction. It just seems like special treatment. That's what people don't like, even though some aren't conveying/expressing that aspect of it well.
IMO its understandable that GB wouldn't react the same way when Rose is apparently someone they know well + there was apparently some context missing behind the posts. Even if its not necessarily the best way to go about things, obviously people will try to be more understanding with people they know/somewhat like, and again, GB is an indie dev, not a corporation. It makes sense that they act in a more human and imperfect way, it doesn't mean they're malicious or that the space is now 'unsafe' for certain fans. It just means that GB wanted to try and treat someone who was supposedly a friend in a bit more of an understanding way.

callhernene

Jul 1, 2022
IMO its understandable that GB wouldn't react the same way when Rose is apparently someone they know well + there was apparently some context missing behind the posts. Even if its not necessarily the best way to go about things, obviously people will try to be more understanding with people they know/somewhat like, and again, GB is an indie dev, not a corporation. It makes sense that they act in a more human and imperfect way, it doesn't mean they're malicious or that the space is now 'unsafe' for certain fans. It just means that GB wanted to try and treat someone who was supposedly a friend in a bit more of an understanding way.
When you are making a supposedly 'inclusive' game and trying or at least claim you are trying to create a safe space for marginalized peoples, this is not an acceptable way to react. As a cisgender white woman, it may not be serious to her, but it is to all the hurt queer/POC folk.

I'm not criticizing GB for being human and defending someone close to her. I am criticizing the fact that she is portrayed herself as someone who cared about hearing marginalized voices, but as soon as some that don't agree with her start showing up, instead of apologizing or trying to explain a little better, she doubles down. Recently, she made a (now-deleted) Tumblr post explaining she did not condone Rose's actions, but since some people are never satisfied, she took it down. I really hope she meant it and she doesn't think those are just 'edgy jokes.' Even if they are, they did hurt people.

Like I said before, a lot of people did not necessarily care about Rose, nor did a lot people even want or care if they were kicked off the team. It's GB seemingly defending these remarks or not speaking up against them, calling them 'edgy jokes.' But when someone simply asks why it's okay for Tamarack to be drawn a darker complexion and say they don't feel like it's okay, they get a firm reprimand. All a lot of us wanted was for GB to acknowledge it was not okay, and she is yet to truly do that except for in that now-deleted post.

I don't expect GB to share all her fans' views, but I do sincerely hope she is hearing people and that she realizes how messed up some of the stuff Rose said is. I do not think Rose was being malicious. And if they were, the people who doxxed them were 1000x more than that. But it doesn't negate that the remarks were out of line. I think Rose did what they needed to do, though. People's issue now is GB's defense of them.

I find it very sad, however, that support is being pulled from the game. Even though I said myself that I can no longer support it, I've only recently heard about/seen the sheer level of backlash on a fiscal/financial level. It's giving witch-hunty vibes in a way. It sucks because aside from failing to make her feelings on the remarks made clear, she really did not do anything super bad imo. Hopefully GB is still able to fund and even enjoy creating OL2.
I have interacted with her personally and she is a sincerely sweet person if I am being honest. She is just (reasonably) kind ignorant to things where POC are regarded. She has and never will be a person of color, so I don't expect her to understand, I and many others just wanted it to be acknowledged.

HereForTheExtras

Apr 14, 2022
Can we shut the fuck up about this already? Is GB problem if She wants to make Rose a "big problem" when She's just a barking bitch who doesn't have anything better to do in the internet but to shittalk a fictional character preferences. She's from fucking tumblr ffs, you can expect more rationality from an average 4chan user than from a tumblr/x user.
I'm Bisexual myself and when I saw Rose's comments I was like "wow what a fucking loser" and just moved on, I didn't know people would actually give 1 minute of their time to that bitch. damn

5.00 star(s) 13 Votes