patachoucs

Mar 26, 2020
Even if it is only one character, the changes are going to be significant enough that I doubt if our old saves are going to work. And even if they do work (somehow) it would be necessary to play through the entire game again to react appropriately to the changes in Stan.
Oh I can totally understand the frustration/unwillingness to have to replay through the whole game yet again. I personally don't mind, I always start each updates fresh anyway. But i get that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Jun 1, 2018
Oh I can totally understand the frustration/unwillingness to have to replay through the whole game yet again. I personally don't mind, I always start each updates fresh anyway. But i get that it's not everyone's cup of tea.
Not only that not really not that hard legit turn on skip all and cheats and make a save at each choice, it took me what all but 45 minutes to get all the scenes not that really that many varying choices.

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
View attachment 1637905

Hello everyone,

first of all I wanted to thank you for your responses on my last post. I was surprised by the amount of good will and understanding from your part, and I deeply appreciate it. Some of you said I shouldn't suspend charges for this next month, but I really feel it's the right thing to do and I had already made the choice before writing about it. I've already activated the billing pause for this month, and this is what Patreon says about it:

"Your active patrons will not be billed on March 1. Billing will resume on April 1. If you have Charge Up Front enabled, new patrons that sign up will be charged."

Now, onto the good news! After my last post I've been feeling better, both physically and mentally. I no longer have any COVID symptoms and I've been going back to my usual work output. Right now I'm focusing on finishing all the new assets that I want to incorporate and I've almost completed all the tweaks and new scenes I wanted to add to the current 9 chapters. I get new ideas that I think would really improve the current content and state of the game, but I have to draw the line at some point and settle for good enough instead of perfect, so that's where I am now.

All that's left is to revamp chapter 1, color some of the new artwork, and make sure all the changes are consistent and the game is bug-free, so hopefully we can get everything done soon, move onto the Steam release and swiftly into chapter 10.

I've been keeping away from social platforms to help myself get back my focus and knock over all the tasks I have to take care directly, so I apologize for the lousy communication. I'll make to keep you posted with consistent development news until the new update is out. Thanks again for your trust and support!
Fucking Stan, not even Lola's pussy is safe from him. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, rest easy Eva. :cool:

lockerxx

Conversation Conqueror
May 10, 2017
View attachment 1637905

Hello everyone,

first of all I wanted to thank you for your responses on my last post. I was surprised by the amount of good will and understanding from your part, and I deeply appreciate it. Some of you said I shouldn't suspend charges for this next month, but I really feel it's the right thing to do and I had already made the choice before writing about it. I've already activated the billing pause for this month, and this is what Patreon says about it:

"Your active patrons will not be billed on March 1. Billing will resume on April 1. If you have Charge Up Front enabled, new patrons that sign up will be charged."

Now, onto the good news! After my last post I've been feeling better, both physically and mentally. I no longer have any COVID symptoms and I've been going back to my usual work output. Right now I'm focusing on finishing all the new assets that I want to incorporate and I've almost completed all the tweaks and new scenes I wanted to add to the current 9 chapters. I get new ideas that I think would really improve the current content and state of the game, but I have to draw the line at some point and settle for good enough instead of perfect, so that's where I am now.

All that's left is to revamp chapter 1, color some of the new artwork, and make sure all the changes are consistent and the game is bug-free, so hopefully we can get everything done soon, move onto the Steam release and swiftly into chapter 10.

I've been keeping away from social platforms to help myself get back my focus and knock over all the tasks I have to take care directly, so I apologize for the lousy communication. I'll make to keep you posted with consistent development news until the new update is out. Thanks again for your trust and support!
any date for the Steam version?

Reactions: Zarkton cruises

SharkVampire

Sep 12, 2018
The comparison to the Game of Thrones books was only about the length of the script, not about the complexity of the story. And I only remember the statement vaguely, so it might have been something else it was compared to. Either way the point was that the full script, with all its different paths, variations in dialogue etc., is a lot longer than it seems from a playthrough or two, and writing all of it in advance would take a lot of time.

Also the challenge of balancing content for the different paths and characters would've been the same even if Eva wrote the full script in advance — we just wouldn't have the same experience of it, and it wouldn't be as striking if one character was left out of an episode or two, because the wait wouldn't be as long. Eva would still have to find the right flow on how to progress the different storylines simultaneously, the same way she does now.

I can't speak for Eva's finances, but I doubt you become rich from having a couple of thousand patrons, when a good share of that probably go to Patreon and all the people she hires to do background art etc. If this is the game Eva wanted to make, I'm glad she didn't compromise and made a shorter game with a less complex story. Even if that means that the wait for the complete game is longer, and a few rewrites to fix details in already released chapters. The fact that there's less juicy scenes than at the same point of GGGB, is probably not about the development priorities, but rather that this is a slow burner in a way GGGB was not.
I wanted to double-check what she said about having no plans for the upcoming chapters, that she had no certain plan of action, but for some reason her interview disappeared from the website that provided it, and Google doesn't help either.

I can only say that it really struck me, I was surprised the fact that she always coming up with new content only after she finish current chapter, probably that's why I remembered it.
I gave some thought to what you're saying and I partly agree that it's time-consuming, but that doesn't mean I'm going back my words, though. There is a reason why devs abandoning they projects here in there, and one of the reason is that they bite more than they can chew. Knowing that most of them novice devs, they simply don't know they ability's, they coming up with great ideas and when something go wrong they give up. Eva, on other hand, has at least 1 finished project, so she slightly above those novice writers, but still it stroke her as well, somewhere around chapter 4. So my thought was about having at least some plan, short version of script, if you want. Where you may skip dialogues and detailed scene explanation, but describing key moments. For example: Ian will face Lena and start argue with her about her obsession with BBC, there will be 2 decisions for him, accept it and become cuck, or break up with her; Next scene, Lena coming home and see Stan playing with Lola, she got excited at the thought of these two cute little creatures and approached Stan (small explanation of sex scene). And while it still be time consuming, I doubt it will take year or so, but still it will be a plan, following which she would avoid many of the problems she is now facing.

bauman

Sep 11, 2018
I wanted to double-check what she said about having no plans for the upcoming chapters, that she had no certain plan of action, but for some reason her interview disappeared from the website that provided it, and Google doesn't help either.

I can only say that it really struck me, I was surprised the fact that she always coming up with new content only after she finish current chapter, probably that's why I remembered it.
I gave some thought to what you're saying and I partly agree that it's time-consuming, but that doesn't mean I'm going back my words, though. There is a reason why devs abandoning they projects here in there, and one of the reason is that they bite more than they can chew. Knowing that most of them novice devs, they simply don't know they ability's, they coming up with great ideas and when something go wrong they give up. Eva, on other hand, has at least 1 finished project, so she slightly above those novice writers, but still it stroke her as well, somewhere around chapter 4. So my thought was about having at least some plan, short version of script, if you want. Where you may skip dialogues and detailed scene explanation, but describing key moments. For example: Ian will face Lena and start argue with her about her obsession with BBC, there will be 2 decisions for him, accept it and become cuck, or break up with her; Next scene, Lena coming home and see Stan playing with Lola, she got excited at the thought of these two cute little creatures and approached Stan (small explanation of sex scene). And while it still be time consuming, I doubt it will take year or so, but still it will be a plan, following which she would avoid many of the problems she is now facing.
It's on the archive:

Regarding her writing:

Eva Kiss said:
I define that duality with a different metaphor. They say there are two kinds of writers, the ones who use a map (that would be the architect) and the ones who use a compass. The first ones know beforehand the route they'll take, it's clearly outlined in their map. The second ones just use the compass to guide themselves in the general direction they want to go, making the path as they walk. It's clear some outlining is necessary when writing almost anything, especially a game like this, but I'm clearly a compass writer (or gardener). I enjoy developing the story as I go, flowing with it and letting the characters surprise me and often times take me in unexpected directions. This can sometimes be troublesome and I'm trying to outline things a bit better in ORS, but if I stopped developing the game organically I would get bored: this way I feel the story and the characters are alive, just like I am.

DavDR

Oct 14, 2020
it's the actual conditions a developer is working under, and it's pretty meaningless to discuss the game's development as a theoretical excercise without looking at the limitations that exists.
No not really. A creator working projects and 'Gig' jobs doesn't live on a steady salary, like an hourly worker. At least they didn't before platforms like Patreon, and that's one of the things I consider most poisonous about the Patreon model of game development. It's games by subscription, the very same thing that the AAA Developers have been trying to implement for some time now.

Reactions: aris666

DavDR

Oct 14, 2020
Not only that not really not that hard legit turn on skip all and cheats and make a save at each choice, it took me what all but 45 minutes to get all the scenes not that really that many varying choices.
Unless your goal is to hurry through the decision points so you can unlock sex scenes I don't see how that would work with a story as complex as this one. As Stan's personality changes and he becomes a potential LI his interactions with Lena effect not just their relationship but also Lena's relationship with the other characters.

Nov 15, 2020
So my thought was about having at least some plan, short version of script, if you want. Where you may skip dialogues and detailed scene explanation, but describing key moments. For example: Ian will face Lena and start argue with her about her obsession with BBC, there will be 2 decisions for him, accept it and become cuck, or break up with her; Next scene, Lena coming home and see Stan playing with Lola, she got excited at the thought of these two cute little creatures and approached Stan (small explanation of sex scene). And while it still be time consuming, I doubt it will take year or so, but still it will be a plan, following which she would avoid many of the problems she is now facing.
Yeah, I was gonna say something similar, but skipped it because my post already was so long. But I agree that a solution like this seems more realistic. It would probably make it easier to realize earlier that Stan as a character wasn't working, at least.

In the interview Eva also says that "if I stopped developing the game organically I would get bored: this way I feel the story and the characters are alive, just like I am". I think that's probably the main thing that needs to be balanced: having enough of a plan to make sure she's not wasting too much time writing the story into dead ends, but still keeping it open enough to let "the characters surprise me and often times take me in unexpected directions". On the paths where it's obvious Eva's planned some of the key moments, I think she's mostly accomplishing that (to the extent it's possible for us to tell), on other paths — like Stan's — maybe not so much.

No not really. A creator working projects and 'Gig' jobs doesn't live on a steady salary, like an hourly worker. At least they didn't before platforms like Patreon, and that's one of the things I consider most poisonous about the Patreon model of game development. It's games by subscription, the very same thing that the AAA Developers have been trying to implement for some time now.
But that's a different discussion. I don't have any strong feelings about Patreon — it has its strengths and weaknesses. But on the topic of ORS' work flow and how to optimize it, it's surely more relevant to look at how the Patreon models actually affects it, instead of discussing whether other models would be better or not.

Maybe you have some save ?
I don't think I have one for that particular route, but it should be pretty straightforward to reach it if you make sure Lena's on good terms with Ivy and Holly, and not dating Ian. You also need to encourage Holly to continue taking the pole dancing classes. And then when Lena, Holly and Ivy meet at Ivy's place in chapter 6, you need to stay there and have another drink instead of going home and watch a movie with Holly.

DavDR

Oct 14, 2020
Yeah, I was gonna say something similar, but skipped it because my post already was so long. But I agree that a solution like this seems more realistic. It would probably make it easier to realize earlier that Stan as a character wasn't working, at least.

In the interview Eva also says that "if I stopped developing the game organically I would get bored: this way I feel the story and the characters are alive, just like I am". I think that's probably the main thing that needs to be balanced: having enough of a plan to make sure she's not wasting too much time writing the story into dead ends, but still keeping it open enough to let "the characters surprise me and often times take me in unexpected directions". On the paths where it's obvious Eva's planned some of the key moments, I think she's mostly accomplishing that (to the extent it's possible for us to tell), on other paths — like Stan's — maybe not so much.

But that's a different discussion. I don't have any strong feelings about Patreon — it has its strengths and weaknesses. But on the topic of ORS' work flow and how to optimize it, it's surely more relevant to look at how the Patreon models actually affects it, instead of discussing whether other models would be better or not.

I don't think I have one for that particular route, but it should be pretty straightforward to reach it if you make sure Lena's on good terms with Ivy and Holly, and not dating Ian. You also need to encourage Holly to continue taking the pole dancing classes. And then when Lena, Holly and Ivy meet at Ivy's place in chapter 6, you need to stay there and have another drink instead of going home and watch a movie with Holly.
No, you keep taking the conversation down different paths. The original point was that the Dev's income has no impact on a discussion of how the game is written. This is just a business transaction, the Dev offers a product and I, as a consumer, decide if I want to buy it or not. I don't give a damn about if the Dev operates at a profit or a loss, that's their problem.

4.60 star(s) 318 Votes