niek07

Jul 23, 2019
Think of it as an alternate timeline where in general everything is familiar, but some events happened differently, some didn't happen, with some unexpected new events and storylines that I can see some people being very excited about... Also, stat system has been reworked to feel more like progression, with each new level requiring more XP to level up than the previous one.
Sounds like great changes. Must also be a lot of work for you now you have to make a new walktrough from the beginning.

• Sad
Reactions: BloodyMares
Nov 15, 2020
I think a few people here are reading a bit too much into the whole rework thing. First of all: Even though it has proved to become bigger and more time consuming than most assumed at first, there's nothing about it that seems more extensive than what most works of fiction go through during the writing process. If a writer's got a clear plan for what they want to achieve during an editing process like this, it more or less always ends up making the story better. Often also a lot better.

Sure, people like different parts of the game, and it's impossible to change things without disappointing someone, but generally I don't think there's much reason to fear that they'll end up removing the things we like about the story.

Another aspect of the rework — and the Steam release — is that it forces Eva to think about what direction they want to take the story, as I assume the first 9 chapters aren't going to be changed any further once they're released on Steam. Doing a rework halfway through a story is obviously about improving the story as it is now, but it's also about setting up the different paths even better for the rest of the game. I'm pretty sure these few months have forced Eva to reflect on where they want to take the story from now on. A lot of people are saying that Eva should have a more detailed plan for the story — chances are that's exactly what they'll get after the rework's done.

The_Searcher

Dec 30, 2019
It's the George RR Martin school of writing. He calls it the "Gardener" approach vs the "Architect" approach. Leads to better writing because the story develops organically but has the downsides of taking longer and potentially writing yourself into unresolvable knots. (And possibly never finishing.)
Buf, I hope that ORS follows a different approach, because if it's the same path as George RR Martin... Look at "Winds of Winter". I read a few days ago that probably the author has not even finished half of the book. I'm not a follower of "Song of Ice and Fire" but I'm sorry for the people are still waiting for the new book.

BloodyMares

Dec 4, 2017
I think a few people here are reading a bit too much into the whole rework thing. First of all: Even though it has proved to become bigger and more time consuming than most assumed at first, there's nothing about it that seems more extensive than what most works of fiction go through during the writing process. If a writer's got a clear plan for what they want to achieve during an editing process like this, it more or less always ends up making the story better. Often also a lot better.

Sure, people like different parts of the game, and it's impossible to change things without disappointing someone, but generally I don't think there's much reason to fear that they'll end up removing the things we like about the story.

Another aspect of the rework — and the Steam release — is that it forces Eva to think about what direction they want to take the story, as I assume the first 9 chapters aren't going to be changed any further once they're released on Steam. Doing a rework halfway through a story is obviously about improving the story as it is now, but it's also about setting up the different paths even better for the rest of the game. I'm pretty sure these few months have forced Eva to reflect on where they want to take the story from now on. A lot of people are saying that Eva should have a more detailed plan for the story — chances are that's exactly what they'll get after the rework's done.
And let's not forget that this is an on-going material where the author gets feedback for their work after each update. The demand to have a strict, clear plan to follow until the end of the project has one massive downside which prevents you from deviating from that plan anymore. You'll be forced to write according to your original vision even if you start seeing problems with that plan mid-development. And there's nothing more demoralizing than writing a story you don't feel as passionate about anymore. It makes writing feel like school project and we all know how they made us feel.

And you can't accurately predict the playstyle of the most players to satisfy their agency while also following the planned story arcs. In fact, I believe the writing where Eva clearly planned ahead for something to happen, faced the most backlash because the audience felt those events were forced or out of character. Their preferred protagonist behaved in a way that served the story (drama / corruption), but not the characters (the players who play a certain way) which creates such issues like Lena becoming hypocritical due to not accounting for the diverging playthroughs that would affect the personality of the main characters. But because Eva is the gardener writer, she can easily adapt to unexpected factors, and change direction without much delay. If she was a planner, the whole plan would have to be changed, not just for the next couple of chapters, but until the very end.

Dec 8, 2018
The stat system is unecessary, it's simplicity and implementation create a scenario where ppl will focus on "playing the system"(min-maxing) so they can have access to said choices, as opposed to making the decisions they feel are best for a situation. She should have just opted for a more organic choice system. stat systems like theses don't work well unless their complex and the game is designed around them(a. la Fallout, Arcanum, etc.), hell i'm even playing Dragon Age Origins right now, and their whole "friendship" system make me focus less on dialogue options i feel are best, and more on what "pleases" the character more(I decided to say fuck it, and just Role Play, ignoring the "stat system").
Also playing through DA:O right now for the first time. You must be talking about Morrigan right? Everything I do is -5 points with her. :ROFLMAO:

While it's taken a lot longer than most people here were expecting, it sounds like the revision is fairly extensive. It can only be a good thing from my point of view. Curious to see the new scenes and interactions that will be coming. Regarding the 'gardener' vs 'architect' debate, I know that I personally would much rather have to go back and refine my old work than potentially toss out a whole lot of planning for the future.

• Haha
Reactions: vsd29 and Echbert
May 13, 2018
Just some quick comments on the game: It's interesting, but took a little adjustment on my part to get it. I see the game isn't really about playing as the protagonist(s) so much as it's acting as the director of the story; setting up situations, watching how they play out, and setting things up again for the next round. It's fun in that respect.

Brings me to my main gripe: I feel that save files need to allow players to name them.

Coming back after a long break, I had saves for multiple play-throughs and absolutely no idea what the situation was for each of them. No clue which ones had Lina being a slut, or hooking up with her ex, etc.

I think being able to label the save files would really help with that.

lipe2410

Forum Fanatic
Dec 23, 2018
Just some quick comments on the game: It's interesting, but took a little adjustment on my part to get it. I see the game isn't really about playing as the protagonist(s) so much as it's acting as the director of the story; setting up situations, watching how they play out, and setting things up again for the next round. It's fun in that respect.

Brings me to my main gripe: I feel that save files need to allow players to name them.

Coming back after a long break, I had saves for multiple play-throughs and absolutely no idea what the situation was for each of them. No clue which ones had Lina being a slut, or hooking up with her ex, etc.

I think being able to label the save files would really help with that.
You can name the saves.

4.60 star(s) 318 Votes