CoalPhelps

Aug 19, 2018
It's unfortunate how much time we have to wait between updates and Eva placed herself in a difficult spot, yes. Nobody argue that. But, as anything, we can (did we?) blame her lack of organization scaling up such a complex game. And if we're not happy about it we can stop supporting her on Patreon, nobody's putting a gun on our head forcing us to do that.
If this is a criticism, please call any bullshit you can find. And if anyone wants to stop supporting the game, let them do so. But what's the point of coming here every few weeks to write "oh shit, it's been so long since an update, put an abandoned tag?" It's not a complaint or a criticism, just crybabies whining.

CoalPhelps

Aug 19, 2018
Don't know what this is supposed to mean? It became "more complex in quality"? The fuck is that?

I'm literally talking about the script and the length of it. Allegedly, half of Chapter 10 is as long as the entire Chapter 5 yet it took a month longer to finish it. Whatever your attempt at an excuse here is, it's not working. There is no excuse.
Same length, but more complicated because of more "variables". What is difficult to understand here.

_Zebra_

Jun 24, 2017
Unless you are ready for people calling you different things, you are not allowed to say anything negative about the ORS on this thread. It's easy to say that we don't like whiners but we accept constructive criticism or complaints. But the truth is that as soon as you say something, someone will jump out with one of the following:

1. Are you a patreon? Did you paid for this game? If not, shut up you pirate scum!
2. If you don't like it, make your own game if you know so much.
3. Look at this troll how he/she whines about stuff.

It happened now with blyzer and it happened before. I remember there was a guy or gal a while ago that expressed his/her opinion about the remake. Same story, even though some of the points were legit. The remake was strongly defended with things like: "it will take less to develop the next updates, you'll see", "it was needed in order to push the game to steam and get additional revenue from it", "if the developer thinks is not good enough, then it can change it". Ok, the last one is completely true, but I don't know what to say about the other two. From what I've read, the only opinion that blyzer wanted to express was: "It takes longer to develop the game now, compered to previous chapters." That is not whining. It's an opinion, and let's be honest, it's true. The development slowed down starting from May last year.
  • The art is better! Not by much. Isn't drawing something that you get better at the longer you practice and at the end of the day you end up finishing the art faster than before?
    You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
  • There are so many branches, it's hard to write the story down. Maybe it is, but shouldn't it be easier to write a new variations of the same scene compared to writing a new scene from scratch?
  • 12 scenes, the biggest update to date. Well, chapter 9 had 13 scenes so... But yeah, if you had to do all the art in the past 3 months, then it's not fair to compare the development time of chapter 5 with the development time of the Ian part, from chapter 10. There were only 6 scenes in chapter 5. That was such a sweet spot in terms of development/number of scenes.

Last edited:

jojogeo

Sep 25, 2019
Same length, but more complicated because of more "variables". What is difficult to understand here.
I still don't understand why she didn't remove some characters in her remaster.
She could mix Emma and Allison, mix Jeremy and Mike.
She could remove Perry, Cherry and Robert without changing the story. Even Stan is not that important.

Jul 20, 2022
Okay people, flamewars aside, do you think Eva should start spliting chapters by half and releasing Ian/Lena's portions separately and thus potentially slashing waiting times in half?

Those chapters are always nicely split between those two, it's not like the perspective shifts constantly. It's always Ian and then Lena.

Reactions: CassieBare

a-pollo

Mar 5, 2019
Okay people, flamewars aside, do you think Eva should start spliting chapters by half and releasing Ian/Lena's portions separately and thus potentially slashing waiting times in half?

Those chapters are always nicely split between those two, it's not like the perspective shifts constantly. It's always Ian and then Lena.
That was something I suggested last year when dev times where still around two-three months. But someone noted that each side of the chapter is so intertwined that it could cost even more time reworking/correcting the first half already released when the second half need small changes in order to work flawlessy. Releasing half chapter (maybe with alpha, beta and final) would split polishing work in two but could lead to even more time wasted. Unfortunately that makes sense.

What I hope is that Eva can find someone helping her in some drawing areas without loosing the quality she's aiming for. She already mentioned that before but I figure it isn't easy delegate on a project like that.

CoalPhelps

Aug 19, 2018
I still don't understand why she didn't remove some characters in her remaster.
She could mix Emma and Allison, mix Jeremy and Mike.
She could remove Perry, Cherry and Robert without changing the story. Even Stan is not that important.
I agree about Mike, Allison, Cherry and Robert, but Emma, Perry and Jeremy are an integral part of Ian's history and inner circle and the first two are still probably part of the confrontation with Seymour, especially in the future.

Geralt From Rivia

Forum Fanatic
Jun 15, 2022

No, it will kill the whole atmosphere of the game with two main characters. It's better to wait a long time and get a complete new part than cut pieces.

BloodyMares

Dec 4, 2017
From what I've read, the only opinion that @blyzer wanted to express was: "It takes longer to develop the game now, compered to previous chapters."
Well, I don't see anybody arguing that. It's not even an opinion, it's a fact caused by the ever-increasing complexity of the game. It takes longer not only to develop the game, but to playtest each chapter and write the walkthrough for it, too. And it's definitely not the argument of "the creator became lazy" because you're giving the same work output, but there's more work with each chapter. Like, imagine if you're working in the office and are used to doing x amount of work per day to fit the deadline. Then imagine that the boss requires from you to do the 2x amount of work in the same time that you did x amount of work. Can you do it? One time, on overdrive, perhaps. But consistently? It's just not humanly possible, you can only produce 1.25x amount of work per month by staying longer in the office. But if you're required to do 3x amount of work? And it's not the matter of "We have this pressing deadline, it'll be easier after that." It will be the requirement for as long as you're working on that product. A sensible person would just peace out at this point because no amount of $ and good word from your boss is worth it to overwork yourself like that. So I wouldn't be all that surprised that it takes longer for the game to get updated. It's just the nature of a multi-branched storytelling and there's really no way around it. It's easy to say "Invest in more people", but finding the reliable people who are fit to do the job is a pain in the ass as well. We know Eva's been trying to find the person to do the line work, but it's unclear what became of it, so one must assume that either the person turned out to be not up to the task or they simply quit
Maybe it is, but shouldn't it be easier to write a new variations of the same scene compared to writing a new scene from scratch?
No, it's not easier. It's easier to produce 10 more linear scenes than to write 10 variations of the same scene and then also have 3 new choices which would make it 13 variations in the future unless some branches get merged. That's why very few devs are willing to dive into writing a game with multiple choices that alter the course of the game. Most games have up to 10 total branches to take into account, usually having 1 branch per character. Because it's a smarter thing to do when you're just one single person developing a game.

Last edited:

sauron93

Donor
Nov 6, 2020
Well, I don't see anybody arguing that. It's not even an opinion, it's a fact caused by the ever-increasing complexity of the game. It takes longer not only to develop the game, but to playtest each chapter and write the walkthrough for it, too. And it's definitely not the argument of "the creator became lazy" because you're giving the same work output, but there's more work with each chapter. Like, imagine if you're working in the office and are used to doing x amount of work per day to fit the deadline. Then imagine that the boss requires from you to do the 2x amount of work in the same time that you did x amount of work. Can you do it? One time, on overdrive, perhaps. But consistently? It's just not humanly possible, you can only produce 1.25x amount of work per month by staying longer in the office. But if you're required to do 3x amount of work? And it's not the matter of "We have this pressing deadline, it'll be easier after that." It will be the requirement for as long as you're working on that product. A sensible person would just peace out at this point because no amount of $ and good word from your boss is worth it to overwork yourself like that. So I wouldn't be all that surprised that it takes longer for the game to get updated. It's just the nature of a multi-branched storytelling and there's really no way around it. It's easy to say "Invest in more people", but finding the reliable people who are fit to do the job is a pain in the ass as well. We know Eva's been trying to find the person to do the line work, but it's unclear what became of it, so one must assume that either the person turned out to be not up to the task or they simply quit

No, it's not easier. It's easier to produce 10 more linear scenes than to write 10 variations of the same scene and then also have 3 new choices which would make it 13 variations in the future unless some branches get merged. That's why very few devs are willing to dive into writing a game with multiple choices that alter the course of the game. Most games have up to 10 total branches to take into account, usually having 1 branch per character. Because it's a smarter thing to do when you're just one single person developing a game.
whats your opinion on the time spent on remastered version? do u consider it milking? or logic doesn't apply there? I know the game takes time to make(considering the sandbox), so i honestly don't care waiting.. been waiting for a "false hero" update for over a year now.. compared to that this is nothing!

patachoucs

Mar 26, 2020
whats your opinion on the time spent on remastered version? do u consider it milking? or logic doesn't apply there? I know the game takes time to make(considering the sandbox), so i honestly don't care waiting.. been waiting for a "false hero" update for over a year now.. compared to that this is nothing!
Why would it be milking ? This is a work in progress. It might need further rework in the future (probably not to that extent though, at least I hope for poor BM and for Eva's sanity's sake). That's the nature of it.

A couple of people, yours truly included, mentionned this before, but do you guys have any ideas how many times a game/movie/novel is being reworked and polished before being published ? Think of the Patreon updates till now as "previews".

The game is far from over. And now IS the time to do reworks, because the more chapters there are the more difficult it gets. It's frustrating, I get it I feel the same as you guys do and want to play new content. But to think Eva is simply drinking Maitais on the beach while laughing at our expenses is ludicrous. And unwarrented, since she has actually earn most of her patreons trust by communicating and showing results for a while now. And the (silent) majority understands that yes, the further a project goes, the more complex it gets, the more time you need to work on it to avoid plotholes and the like.

Lest you get a rushed ending with Lena suddenly deciding to burn the city "to show everyone who's boss", have Ian decides he wants to get in exile after killing her, and Perry become king of the town because "he's the one most deserving".

BloodyMares

Dec 4, 2017
I don't have an opinion one would expect from a casual player. I don't have the luxury to be one anymore unfortunately. I didn't get the chance to play it because I've been working all this time on overhauling the guide. I personally would prefer not having to invest so much time into that, but Eva have said it was necessary to deal with the writer's block so the game could progress at all. I have no reason to doubt that. If you as a creator can't progress due to mental obstacles, and the only way to overcome those obstacles is to address your personal dissatisfaction with some story elements or the general quality of the game, then so be it.

_Zebra_

Jun 24, 2017
No, it's not easier. It's easier to produce 10 more linear scenes than to write 10 variations of the same scene and then also have 3 new choices which would make it 13 variations in the future unless some branches get merged.
Ok, I'll take that back. Probably it is a pain to add just 1-2 lines of dialog for something that happened 3 chapters ago and also make sure that those lines fit properly with the rest of the text. And after that is done, do it all over again. I guess the only solution here is to forget about some variables and replaced them with something else. For example: If you slept with Cindy in chapter 9 it doesn't matter if you did it in chapter 7 as well. Never mind, it still does, because Jeremy and Ivy would know about it. So yeah, I get your point, it's not easy.

Like, imagine if you're working in the office and are used to doing x amount of work per day to fit the deadline. Then imagine that the boss requires from you to do the 2x amount of work in the same time that you did x amount of work. Can you do it? One time, on overdrive, perhaps. But consistently? It's just not humanly possible, you can only produce 1.25x amount of work per month by staying longer in the office. But if you're required to do 3x amount of work?
Ok, but there isn't someone that tells Eva that she needs to do more work in the same amount of time. Why double the size of the chapters and the number of scenes included in one? Probably the answer is to make sure that almost every character gets a scene with one of the MCs. That way, if someone is only interested to see the content with Cindy and Robert, he/she would get that. For them it will be a good chapter. The other scenario would be: have scenes with Cindy and Robert every other chapter. But if you do that, there is a chance that some patreons will leave and come back every other chapter. Tricky situation.

Is there anyone that follows just one path ?

4.60 star(s) 316 Votes