Apr 2, 2018
I haven't tried this one yet and I'm looking for a new VN to actually get into. I see the dev is active here, which is a good sign, but just to double-check: is the dev for this active, or is this another unpredictable passion project/cash grab? I hate to have to ask this, especially being that the dev is here and it might come across as insulting, but unfortunately we all know that most VNs in this community are amateurish abandonware, and I'm getting a bit too old to spend 10-15 hours reading through a game only to find out it's a cash grab full of "this feature isn't added yet" messages (coughwaifuacademycough).

ElukiaTV

Mar 11, 2019
He has been posting updates each month since launch (well except currently since he is on a one month vacation) But yes.. he is very active, and its basically all day on his discord. The game is already a long one, and its nowhere close to finish.

david makai

Apr 29, 2022
he's pivoted to a monthly update and put out one at the start of each month (literally the first of the month every time) for more than a year, except for this one when he announced well in advance he was taking a summer break and this next one will be on the first of september. This might still become one of those, since there's a long way to go, but so far so good. At the very least he's been very upfront about when updates come and then actually puts them out when he says, so as long as that keeps up it doesn't so much matter to me when it comes out.

david makai

Apr 29, 2022
I would like to beg him, though, not to stop halfway through to indefinitely overhaul the UI/architecture because that seems to stall a lot of people

Reactions: goonslagoon

Story Anon

You're out of touch, I'm out of time.
Game Developer
May 4, 2020
I would like to beg him, though, not to stop halfway through to indefinitely overhaul the UI/architecture because that seems to stall a lot of people
The 18 month keystroke and textbox optimization program will be well worth the effort. :Kappa:

No, thankfully I don't handle any of the code. Just pictures, writing and music. There's nothing else for me to make except content.

I haven't tried this one yet and I'm looking for a new VN to actually get into. I see the dev is active here, which is a good sign, but just to double-check: is the dev for this active, or is this another unpredictable passion project/cash grab? I hate to have to ask this, especially being that the dev is here and it might come across as insulting, but unfortunately we all know that most VNs in this community are amateurish abandonware, and I'm getting a bit too old to spend 10-15 hours reading through a game only to find out it's a cash grab full of "this feature isn't added yet" messages (coughwaifuacademycough).
Like they said above, I've got 12 straight months of major chapter releases and the next chapter will be out on August 25th for patrons and September 1st for everyone. You don't have to take my word for it, just look at my track record.

skater555

Feb 22, 2021
I need help, BAD. I have played the first 20 min and 30-40 min a few times, and it just didn't catch me and i stopped, but i love good and wholesome stories, reading reviews there should be no doubt this is my kinda game. I really really want to like it since there is so much content! Does it first really get good after 1-2 hour into the story or more? Thanks! :coffee:

Apr 2, 2018
Honestly, I admire when devs do that, and I think it's important. At the same time, I'm a professional software engineer and it's physically painful for me to watch how some of these people write code and how much they struggle with really really basic stuff (coughyanderesimcough), so I also understand when people get frustrated by how long it can take. The most effective combo seems to be when creators just straight up say "I'm not a programmer, my code is currently really bad, I need help", and then allow a few fans to contribute with that kinda thing. You end up with a better game, more consistent updates, and less pain for everyone.

The 18 month keystroke and textbox optimization program will be well worth the effort. :Kappa:

No, thankfully I don't handle any of the code. Just pictures, writing and music. There's nothing else for me to make except content.
Which looks to be exactly what this dev is doing, based on this message! Programming is not a job for amateurs, despite what all the "self-taught tech genius" media myth may want you to believe. I'll give the game a go, it's rare to see anyone in this community with a solid track record and people who will endorse you without caveats.

Reactions: Captain Kirk

Story Anon

Game Developer
May 4, 2020
Honestly, I admire when devs do that, and I think it's important. At the same time, I'm a professional software engineer and it's physically painful for me to watch how some of these people write code and how much they struggle with really really basic stuff (coughyanderesimcough), so I also understand when people get frustrated by how long it can take. The most effective combo seems to be when creators just straight up say "I'm not a programmer, my code is currently really bad, I need help", and then allow a few fans to contribute with that kinda thing. You end up with a better game, more consistent updates, and less pain for everyone.

Which looks to be exactly what this dev is doing, based on this message! Programming is not a job for amateurs, despite what all the "self-taught tech genius" media myth may want you to believe. I'll give the game a go, it's rare to see anyone in this community with a solid track record and people who will endorse you without caveats.
I can’t promise you’ll necessarily like what I make, but what I can promise is that if you do, you’ll get plenty of it.

Redemyr

Mar 19, 2018
How is this not an anime? I've been reading visual novels and watching anime for a LONG time and never have I seen one who clearly deserves it's own adaptation.

It does so many thing right but the one thing that stood out for me was how within the story, no suspension of disbelief is required for the harem part. Every bond between our MC and a LI is well fleshed out, coherent and executed beautifully.

david makai

Apr 29, 2022
Honestly, I admire when devs do that, and I think it's important. At the same time, I'm a professional software engineer and it's physically painful for me to watch how some of these people write code and how much they struggle with really really basic stuff
yeah I've been finding the most likely of these to be both A) finished and B) quality are usually collaborations unless you're a mad lad, and some of them are out there, but I think caribdis outsources work, pale carnations is a collaboration, so is this, and I would say there's probably a connection there. Of course it doesn't always work that way, but it can be a harsh lesson to learn that making a game/vn/whatever is a tall order for a single person unless you're grounded and realistic about what's achievable.

I'm one of those people who thinks finishing things is better than tweaking something until you feel it's perfect, mind you - that's what second projects are for! Look at the difference between Once in a Lifetime and Eternum, it's like they're worlds apart.

Reactions: Laziness

itsASmallZone

Mar 7, 2021
hey anyone find a fix for window sizing issues? I tried to follow earlier instructions on resizing the window/picking an arbitrary resolution, but that didn't seem to work, and parts of the top and bottom are always cut off.
thanks

Story Anon

Game Developer
May 4, 2020
hey anyone find a fix for window sizing issues? I tried to follow earlier instructions on resizing the window/picking an arbitrary resolution, but that didn't seem to work, and parts of the top and bottom are always cut off.
thanks
The renders themselves are 16:9, if you pick a resolution that’s outside that aspect ratio you’ll get black bars no matter what.

itsASmallZone

Mar 7, 2021
The renders themselves are 16:9, if you pick a resolution that’s outside that aspect ratio you’ll get black bars no matter what.
Hey thanks for the reply - it's not black bars on the side, it's the top and bottom of the window being cut off. I tried your workaround from earlier posts but it doesn't seem to work for me - no matter what I do unity won't change from showing "windowed", and actually go to a windowed view that isn't clipped at the top and bottom.

Story Anon

Game Developer
May 4, 2020
Hey thanks for the reply - it's not black bars on the side, it's the top and bottom of the window being cut off. I tried your workaround from earlier posts but it doesn't seem to work for me - no matter what I do unity won't change from showing "windowed", and actually go to a windowed view that isn't clipped at the top and bottom.
Might be an alt-enter thing, but if you hop on our discord server we can get your problem sorted out.

Reactions: itsASmallZone

Porthas

Feb 26, 2021
stupid mc and story logic.jpg

This whole premise is extremely off-putting/cringe. Not only is the MC on display here as extremely dumb, but then you have to buy the nonsensical premise that nobody in this circle of friends bothered to take the 5 seconds to tell him that Jamie is a girl. And if that didn't work the 5 minutes it would take to provide convincing proof.

Jamie also looks like a girl.

Then again, so does the MC, I'm chalking that up to game engine problems.

stoic jack.gif

Is a hapless, clueless, stupid MC some sort of brand of humor? I see a lot of that in anime, it's annoying as fuck. I just don't get the attraction to protagonists that are like this. They don't have to be perfect or a CHAD, or an invincible Ninja warrior, they can just be a normal dude. Seems to be too much to ask.

Story Anon

Game Developer
May 4, 2020
View attachment 1934601

This whole premise is extremely off-putting/cringe. Not only is the MC on display here as extremely dumb, but then you have to buy the nonsensical premise that nobody in this circle of friends bothered to take the 5 seconds to tell him that Jamie is a girl. And if that didn't work the 5 minutes it would take to provide convincing proof.

Jamie also looks like a girl.

Then again, so does the MC, I'm chalking that up to game engine problems.

View attachment 1934604

Is a hapless, clueless, stupid MC some sort of brand of humor? I see a lot of that in anime, it's annoying as fuck. I just don't get the attraction to protagonists that are like this. They don't have to be perfect or a CHAD, or an invincible Ninja warrior, they can just be a normal dude. Seems to be too much to ask.
Wait, have you really been complaining in this thread for 10 months without getting past the first 30 minutes :HideThePain:

Reactions: jamesonwulf
4.60 star(s) 228 Votes