Nennius

Dec 3, 2022
I am a bit curious to see what the rework of the prologue will end up looking like. This is one of the rare exceptions where I am in support of a rework because I think a stronger start could benefit this game greatly.
Well from what we've seen so far the rework will mainly be improving the renders and fixing some dialogue errors, not actually reformatting the plot. Chad Thundercock is staying as the Gigacjad meme and is getting a voiceover added. The only new plot will be a scene in-between CJ getting swallowed by the hole after meeting his dad and waking up the next day.

Story Anon

You're out of touch, I'm out of time.
Game Developer
May 4, 2020
I disagree. What makes this game special is everything that comes after Jamie's grandfather is introduced. The Chad Thundercock stuff only ends up hurting the game by driving away new players. I have seen people call it a filter - but I dont understand what it is filtering or what is the point of having that filter in the first place. Because the game shifts in tone as we progress through the story and it becomes more serious instead of doubling down on the meme humor.

Like the other person said I dont think the inclusion of Chad Thundercock is the problem but I personally think having a render of something that looks like Zeus instead of the meme would be better. But I guess if the dev thinks the meme is better suited for the game then it is what it is. I am a bit curious to see what the rework of the prologue will end up looking like. This is one of the rare exceptions where I am in support of a rework because I think a stronger start could benefit this game greatly.
It’s about sending a message.

Also it’s best to hit people the absurdism early.

blastwave2k

Jun 23, 2017
It’s about sending a message.

Also it’s best to hit people the absurdism early.
i for one LOVE CJs dad. that scene had me rolling on the floor laughing and is STILL one of my favorite moments in the game. if anything, i'm a little disappointed we haven't heard from him since then or seen more of it.

but hey, we in the land now of "if i don't like it, it must be remooooooooved reeeeee". so sad. how many of us just like the game and play it, while the loud and proud do their usual thing?

derekthered56

May 30, 2018
Yea I get it's RedLetterMedia but usually when a dev makes a joke about criticism their game gets, they use really bad examples and strawmans as part of the joke, but everything Jamie says there very accurately describes this game, almost too well.
Using strawmen would just sound petty and defensive. Using accurate criticism(if criticism is the right word, I don't think any of those statements are really problems) is what makes the joke funny.

Reactions: Laziness

Nennius

Dec 3, 2022
Yea I get it's RedLetterMedia but usually when a dev makes a joke about criticism their game gets, they use really bad examples and strawmans as part of the joke, but everything Jamie says there very accurately describes this game, almost too well.
Well OoT is pretty unabashed in its style, especially about being a melodrama. And there's no fun in that style without self awareness.
There's a review 2/3 of the way down the most recent page by TD the Dev of Pale Carnations that sums it up perfectly imo.

Zaq Reman

Jan 28, 2018
Decided to give this a try when the latest update dropped, finally finished my binge. Leah's arc was a slog just because I personally do not get along with its major trope, but that's on me it's a popular one for a reason. It does feel like you'll have a bit of Show vs Tell issue if the cast keep internal monologuing about how much they believe in their eternal bond and trust each other completely and then put off sharing life-changingly important information because one of their other soulmates walked in.
The one thing that's already a genuine issue though, that left me feeling utterly unsatisfied when I got to the end of the current content, is this:
1681169659447.jpeg
CJ and Mizzie started fucking during the timeskip and you didn't even give her a Side Scene to show it!?

Also while it's not quite as bad as that, I am going to have to sue you for false advertising. The description promised "freaky psychedelic group sex". There have been nine scenes of group sex so far and they're all completely mundane aside from Sarah feeling what CJ does.

(And my reason is slightly different from yours, but have another vote of confidence on not de-meming the prologue. The start of the game left me confused in a bad way, like I'd held Ctrl through something important except I had skip unread off. I was waffling on whether to continue until I saw Chad Thundercock appear in the clouds and more importantly realized that this was being played completely straight. I didn't know yet if I liked the story, but I knew I respected the gumption (and drugs) required to write a story that took itself completely seriously even during and after that.)

asmrfan23

May 21, 2018
Mizzie + Mayu + Mikan will give CJ the biggest L, and it would be WORTH IT

edit: Matoi needs a nice, sweet and gentle love making session

4.60 star(s) 228 Votes