Ka1tzer

Jan 12, 2023
Then why did you keep reading, lol:WaitWhat:
Because while I do like well-constructed stories with strong internal logic, story beats and character development, it's not the ONLY thing I enjoy.

Sometimes I like something just cause it's fun, even if it has its flaws.

Ka1tzer

Jan 12, 2023
I'm very curious what you mean by this. Could you give a few examples of dialogue you didn't like and say what the problem was?

One thing I find about this game is that at most there's a few lines of dialogue per render, which means that during character conversations there's a lot more to look at than just staring at the same face/perspective and reading the dialogue. I generally consider this a good thing.
Hey, I can't quite recall instances of specific dialog per sé as of right now, it's mostly a recurrent thing that happens in dialogs. I'll post some screenshots exemplifying later (currently don't have access to my PC).

What I mean by problems with dialog is mostly 2 things: overuse of cussing and a lack of distinct character voices.

I don't have a problem with cussing itself, but it is WAY overdone in the dialogs in this game, especially by the mc. Sometimes it's even in all caps, bold or italics, as if there was an attempt to make it have an extra "oomph" to that particular "fucking" or "shit".

Stuff like

"let's go to the mall?"
"Yeah, pal, let's fucking go! Ya know, you look like a fucking butch, we really gotta get you some fucking new threads bro"

And then in serious moments he goes:

"Don't you fucking dare touch my friends, you fucking shitstain or I will FUCKING kill you".

The overuse of that kind of language diminishes the impact of it by a lot when it's supposed to be or feel impactful. And those are just stuff about the mc, who is the worst offender. The combination of him being dense, stupid and extremely sailor mouthed just doesn't make him likeable to me, even though all the other character worship the ground he walks on.

Since the story already relies on the absurd (like the dad reveal), I can ignore a lot of that and take it in stride. The dialog problem thing though is not unique to the MC (if it was, we could chalk it up to being the character's voice).

Nearly all the character have the same issue, though to lesser degrees. Victoria does it, Jamie does it, Kieran does it, Ashley does it, Leah does it, Cro does it (and also passes as moustache twirling villain instead of age-old threatening entity)...

So far, only Tereza and Sarah seem to not fall into that pattern, and their character voices are more distinct (Sarah does cuss at high stress situations but unlike the other characters, hers feel a lot more impactful, like when Cro goads her about Sarah forgetting her fairy sisters)

A lot of the times for those characters they sound the same. Remove the dialog-tag indication of who's saying what in a scene where 2 or 3 of those characters are present and you might feel it's a weird monolog by one of them.

Anyhow, I hope I illustrated my point, at least for now. And it might seem like I'm drilling into the game but as I said before (I think I said it?) I like the game.

It's not something I'm taking seriously, just enjoying it as it is. If only the character voices would get an improvement and feel more distinct, more in line with what was presented about the characters in-game, that'd be great.

slothen29

Aug 26, 2020
I get that some people don't like the swearing. Not much to do about that, I doubt that will change. And CJ and occasionally Jamie do slip into more bro-ey moments when they're not serious (Jamie is especially foul mouthed). But it doesn't sound quite as dumb to me at least as you make it sound. The dialogue in question is:

J: Now wait, just what the hell do you mean I'm <i>dumpy?</i>
CJ: You're always stuck in either that fuckin' uniform or some vest.
CJ: We gotta get you some real threads. The good shit.
J: Uh huh. So what do you have in mind instead?
CJ: Duh, sport coats. Let's match tonight, dude.

This sounds good to me.

As for CJ being "dense, stupid" I think you'll be pleased with how his character develops in the next 10-20 chapters.

Reactions: Ka1tzer

Story Anon

You're out of touch, I'm out of time.
Game Developer
May 4, 2020
Hey, I can't quite recall instances of specific dialog per sé as of right now, it's mostly a recurrent thing that happens in dialogs. I'll post some screenshots exemplifying later (currently don't have access to my PC).

What I mean by problems with dialog is mostly 2 things: overuse of cussing and a lack of distinct character voices.

I don't have a problem with cussing itself, but it is WAY overdone in the dialogs in this game, especially by the mc. Sometimes it's even in all caps, bold or italics, as if there was an attempt to make it have an extra "oomph" to that particular "fucking" or "shit".

Stuff like

"let's go to the mall?"
"Yeah, pal, let's fucking go! Ya know, you look like a fucking butch, we really gotta get you some fucking new threads bro"

And then in serious moments he goes:

"Don't you fucking dare touch my friends, you fucking shitstain or I will FUCKING kill you".

The overuse of that kind of language diminishes the impact of it by a lot when it's supposed to be or feel impactful. And those are just stuff about the mc, who is the worst offender. The combination of him being dense, stupid and extremely sailor mouthed just doesn't make him likeable to me, even though all the other character worship the ground he walks on.
This seems to be a reoccurring problem with ESL readers, especially native Slavic language ESL readers.

Sorry to say but that's how a lot of English speakers talk casually, even younger women. I would point you to Polarfoxes translation, but then it's all cyka blyat.

akselx

Mar 29, 2020
This seems to be a reoccurring problem with ESL readers, especially native Slavic language ESL readers.

Sorry to say but that's how a lot of English speakers talk casually, even younger women. I would point you to Polarfoxes translation, but then it's all cyka blyat.
That's because cursing in slavic languages actually sounds and feels like cursing. Have a lot of creative flexibility too. Not that my little pony shit u do in english.

• Haha
Reactions: Laziness

Story Anon

You're out of touch, I'm out of time.
Game Developer
May 4, 2020
That's because cursing in slavic languages actually sounds and feels like cursing. Have a lot of creative flexibility too. Not that my little pony shit u do in english.
Probably true. Probably also partially why we don't drink ourselves to death.

Reactions: asmrfan23

ihereou

Jul 3, 2019
One more thing, I would say that the game is hell for new players. For some reasons, it feels unresponsive because, on the setting, real time thing is unchecked, making it feel so slow when scene changing. You guys might want to look into it.

PierrotSol

Sep 15, 2017
I think he touched on this in the 2 year Anniversary stream, something along the lines of
"Nope it's gone forever because I like having an income"
It's not like it was anything crazy integral, your brain can still fill in the gaps.
besides the Prologue what other content got cut?

soyuyuka

Oct 4, 2018
One more thing, I would say that the game is hell for new players. For some reasons, it feels unresponsive because, on the setting, real time thing is unchecked, making it feel so slow when scene changing. You guys might want to look into it.
Game blocks you from skipping transitions / animations / videos when you're first time on a certain scene to prevent players from accidentally clicking through scenes they haven't seen and missing something. It actually very fast and responsive. If you want to skip transition on scenes that you haven't seen before there are several options for that - one is to just double click during unskippable fade/video and it will instantly advance you (this one is described in new help menu); you can enable "skip transitions" - this will only skip single image fades, you can speed up animations with multiple fades by having "global transition time" enabled and "transition time" set to something lower; and you can enable "skip unseen" - it will completely ignore if you already seen scene or not - it will allow both using skip and skipping transitions. None of these will be enabled by default.

Last edited:
4.60 star(s) 228 Votes