sunaboz

Donor
Jun 25, 2018
OK, it's high time that I change my signature from Peasant's Quest (which has almost 1500 supporters) to Pale Carnations. This game is just too good and it has received only +13 supporters since my "advertisement".

As for the preview, as always it looks great and I can't wait for the next release. BTW, on Discord and Patron you can see Hana in her full (3840x2160) glory so I recommend you support the devs.

frank4op

Dec 16, 2019
well i have a couple of questions first is there ntr because after the dinner with mom and the camera man saying it isn't like it 's your first time i have doubts so i need confirmation that there is no ntr please

second is there any content with the mother ??

TD1900

Game Developer
Dec 8, 2017
well i have a couple of questions first is there ntr because after the dinner with mom and the camera man saying it isn't like it 's your first time i have doubts so i need confirmation that there is no ntr please

second is there any content with the mother ??
1) I wouldn't describe anything in the game as NTR, however I recognize some people have a generously broad definition of the term. So as a forewarning and to be perfectly clear: three out of the game's five heroines are taking part in a sex competition at a brothel. If you're squeamish about male characters other than the protagonist being sexually involved in scenes, I would avoid this project.

2) Victoria (the player character's mother) is not a love interest.

Babalui

Apr 2, 2019
In this game, if something does not change drastically, there is no “netorare” but there is a possible “netori”. "Netori" is the opposite of "Netorare" Here are the definitions from the “the visual novel database” website.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cwco1179

frank4op

Dec 16, 2019
1) I wouldn't describe anything in the game as NTR, however I recognize some people have a generously broad definition of the term. So as a forewarning and to be perfectly clear: three out of the game's five heroines are taking part in a sex competition at a brothel. If you're squeamish about male characters other than the protagonist being sexually involved in scenes, I would avoid this project.

2) Victoria (the player character's mother) is not a love interest.
Ok thanks for the heads-up

sunaboz

Donor
Jun 25, 2018
I was hoping for an option to have MC loose his humanity and dom his mom but hey, we can't have everything we want. Still 11/10 story so far and I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment.
Yeah, an option (I repeat option) like that would be interesting (I mean, it's not that hard to believe that a totally sick person who would pee on someone and do even more perverted things wouldn't stop at that and fuck his own mother) but it seems that there are too many perverts here who take games like these too seriously. Either they just have to download incest mod because landlady/roommate instead of mother/sister makes such a big difference or like in this case some pixeled, virtual mother is too real for them.

Anyway, the most important thing is for devs to just do their thing and stick to their vision disregarding fans' wishes because that almost always leads to a disaster. PC has one of the best (if not the best) writing in any erotic game I know so if TD1900 says that Victoria won't be a love interest I'll respect that and it will most likely mean that the quality will increase (plus I'll get a scene with my favourite fake woman earlier since devs won't have to waste their efforts on Victoria).

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
Yeah, an option (I repeat option) like that would be interesting (I mean, it's not that hard to believe that a totally sick person who would pee on someone and do even more perverted things wouldn't stop at that and fuck his own mother) but it seems that there are too many perverts here who take games like these too seriously. Either they just have to download incest mod because landlady/roommate instead of mother/sister makes such a big difference or like in this case some pixeled, virtual mother is too real for them.

Anyway, the most important thing is for devs to just do their thing and stick to their vision disregarding fans' wishes because that almost always leads to a disaster. PC has one of the best (if not the best) writing in any erotic game I know so if TD1900 says that Victoria won't be a love interest I'll respect that and it will most likely mean that the quality will increase (plus I'll get a scene with my favourite fake woman earlier since devs won't have to waste their efforts on Victoria).
I've said before and I'll say again that a dev should never abandon their vision to give the players what they want, but they can't just ignore the players, either.

Ideally, the dev's job is to filter through player comments to figure out if the story they are trying to tell is being understood correctly by the player. All the artistic vision in the world is worthless if the player misunderstands what is happening, why they need to do something, or why characters behave the way they do. If a dev intended a character to be sympathetic, for example, and a large number of players loathe that character, it's probably an indication that something has gone wrong.

Of course, some players may struggle to express why they are confused (or even to understand that they are confused at all), and other players will understand the dev's intent and just not like it. So mere volume of criticism isn't enough. To continue the previous example, the loathed character might be loathed even though players sympathize with them, or might be loathed for unrelated reasons (like an awkward character model). The key is to understand the root cause of any criticism and then determine if it identifies a weakness in the work or if it indicates the critic is outside the target audience.

So in short, devs need to defend their artistic vision against even the most caustic reviews, but must also be ready to make changes if their initial draft isn't working. Easier said than done, but that's why they're paid the big bucks. (Well, metaphorically. Devs are generally paid small bucks in actual cash. But in theory they are rewarded somehow.)

From the way TD1900 has handled questions on topics like Victoria or NTR, I think they've done a good job of this so far. I hope they will be able to keep it up when (hopefully) the game has attracted a wider audience.

Retromancer

Aug 14, 2018
Ideally, the dev's job is to filter through player comments to figure out if the story they are trying to tell is being understood correctly by the player. All the artistic vision in the world is worthless if the player misunderstands what is happening, why they need to do something, or why characters behave the way they do. If a dev intended a character to be sympathetic, for example, and a large number of players loathe that character, it's probably an indication that something has gone wrong.
All of this is true in the mechanics of storytelling, however not true in the themes, which I think is what sunaboz was getting at. The mechanics of the storytelling are rock solid in this game. If the themes are hard (and they are - they are hard and uncomfortable and unusual), and people complain about aspects of that ("this game is NTR garbage" would be the easy example) they should be ignored.

If I were building a house and someone told me I forgot to paint a room, I'd listen. If they told me I need a flat roof instead of a sloped one I'd tell them to fuck off. It's my house. They don't have to visit

TD1900

Game Developer
Dec 8, 2017
I just wanted to say I think this is a nuanced and well reasoned understanding of the role of criticism in the creative process. This project is the first time I've put something I've worked on out into the world to be enjoyed and judged by others, so I've given some thought to this topic while wrestling with the anxiety that people might not like what we're doing.

Personally, I believe taking a hard-nosed stance that your "artistic vision" is above reproach will just as easily lead you to make something crappy as much as letting populist preference steer the boat will. It's important that you delineate what is foundational or unchanging about what you're doing from what can and should be open to change. For the former, it's like what Retromancer said, this would be things like the thematic core or content of your story. For the later, it's what you were getting at with your post - the way you convey those themes, how you tell your story, or the mechanics of your game play are good examples. Of course, if you are trying to make a living off of this, those foundational and unchanging things might be more malleable when you're first planning everything out. :p

(As an aside, I do think it's okay if you fail at making a character sympathetic. People are like that in real life too, maybe worthy of sympathy but unable to garner it. The question of fixing that just depends on how important it is to the story that they're actually liked.)

Thankfully the response to our work has been exceedingly kind and GIL and I haven't struggled with the above, but I'm sure my inexperience will make what you're talking about relevant at some point.

Sorry for the self-important tangent for what is basically me just agreeing with you, but this is a topic I enjoy thinking about.

Last edited:

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
All of this is true in the mechanics of storytelling, however not true in the themes, which I think is what sunaboz was getting at. The mechanics of the storytelling are rock solid in this game. If the themes are hard (and they are - they are hard and uncomfortable and unusual), and people complain about aspects of that ("this game is NTR garbage" would be the easy example) they should be ignored.

If I were building a house and someone told me I forgot to paint a room, I'd listen. If they told me I need a flat roof instead of a sloped one I'd tell them to fuck off. It's my house. They don't have to visit
I mostly agree, but even at the broad level of themes it's possible to have valid criticisms. A dev can do a poor job conveying themes, or even inadvertently put discordant themes into a work. It's possible there are advantages to a flat roof you might not have considered, after all.

To pick on a popular whipping boy, I've complained many times that the bleak, insular final act of Acting Lessons clashes with everything the game had been about prior to the infamous fire. I stand by my criticism even though I'm certain DPC intended the genre shift, because I think he did not properly foreshadow the twist. As a result, it upstages a lot of the character work that had been built up, and it completely mangles the notion that there will be consequences to your actions (because suddenly the game is all about Leah's actions that you didn't even know were happening).

That doesn't mean my stance is right, and if DPC feels foreshadowing would just dull the impact of the twist it's ultimately his call. But even at the theme level, it's worth a bit of introspection to consider if the themes a dev intends to put in a work mesh the way they intended.

(This is, of course, entirely separate from the question of whether a given work is profitable. While that's a banal criteria it's also an important one.)

Last edited:

quorkboy

Sep 26, 2020
I mostly agree, but even at the broad level of themes it's possible to have valid criticisms. A dev can do a poor job conveying themes, or even inadvertently put discordant themes into a work. It's possible there are advantages to a flat roof you might not have considered, after all.
If you have something you can present as a genuine suggestion intended to improve the game and you can back it up with reasons, and be accepting if the dev says no (and understanding that no matter how convinced you are you're right, you might be wrong,) I'd say criticism is a good thing. I work in mainstream software development and taking criticism of your work is something you actively ask for if you want to improve (and is generally enforced even if you don't ask. But you should want it.)

In more concrete terms: If a dev did such a thing as inadvertently include discordant themes (or content which seems otherwise inconsistent) and you point it out respectfully, a good dev will take that on board. If they come back and say "this is intentional and here's why" you should also respect that. Telling David Lynch his films should be linear and everything should make sense is missing the point of what he does. That doesn't mean you have to like them, of course, but they're not how they are by mistake.

And that last I think is an important thing to think about: Am I criticising because I don't like it or because I can point to something I genuinely believe was not intended and can be changed for the better, within the vision of the creator.

Clearly you recognise this. But I thought it worth elaborating.

sunaboz

Donor
Jun 25, 2018
New update is out (there is also a picture but to see it just become a patron):
TD1900 said:
Dev Diary 11

Hey all, TD here with the next dev diary.

Things have fully picked up now that the holidays are in the rear-view mirror. Presently, we are at 800 images and 7 new animations and GIL has been hard at work finishing up the last bit of a sequence that Hana fans are really going to enjoy.

This will also be the week that Mina will come into her own character. She's been the least developed of the cast so far, so look forward to her getting more prominent screen time and a little extra depth beyond "best friend's bubbly model girlfriend." Judging by the results of the character poll, she surprisingly seems to be a fan favorite despite her limited involvement so far. I'm curious if she'll gain ground on the leading girl Hana after this update.

Besides that, Kat has yet another daring mission for the player that will span the whole week this time and it'll be up to the you just how far you take it.

On a final note, GIL has started to use some new "tech" when it comes to animations. Coming from playing mostly Japanese VNs for the past ten years, I've never really cared about animations, but his recent level up has me absolutely floored. Not every scene can be done in this style going forward due to some technical limitations, but please look forward to seeing how much GIL has improved.

I hope everyone has been having a great 2021 so far. Thank you for the continued support.
As you can see there is a lot to look forward to :].

4.90 star(s) 474 Votes