Takkatakka

Engaged Member
Nov 11, 2022
Funnily enough, I don't even think of us as a BDSM game.
I mean...you have the women getting locked into cages. You have them get electrocuted. You have Harper getting water dipped. You have one of them getting bound into a contraption to get bukkaked (is that a verb? :KEK: ) on...

It's not super hardcore as far as BDSM goes, but it is definitely there.

TD1900

Game Developer
Dec 8, 2017
I mean...you have the women getting locked into cages. You have them get electrocuted. You have Harper getting water dipped. You have one of them getting bound into a contraption to get bukkaked (is that a verb? :KEK: ) on...

It's not super hardcore as far as BDSM goes, but it is definitely there.
Sure, but I never think of the game as targeting that niche. It's more "yeah, Kat WOULD tie the girls up right here" rather than "let's satisfy a kink." Doesn't really make a difference from a player's perspective, other than like you said, we're not really that hardcore of a game for the type of people who would specifically seek them out. I was just noting how incidental it felt to me in lieu of Johnny's criticism.

Takkatakka

Engaged Member
Nov 11, 2022
Sure, but I never think of the game as targeting that niche. It's more "yeah, Kat WOULD tie the girls up right here" rather than "let's satisfy a kink." Doesn't really make a difference from a player's perspective, other than like you said, we're not really that hardcore of a game for the type of people who would specifically seek them out. I was just noting how incidental it felt to me in lieu of Johnny's criticism.
I would think from a quality point of view that would be the better way of writing the game anyway. Not thinking so much about "what tags do I need to fulfill" but instead "how can I write a coherent, logical and interesting story" and just take whatever tag ends up being part of that story.

Elduriel

Engaged Member
Donor
Mar 28, 2021
As for incest, it's usually cheaply done in my opinion, without any sense of weight to the taboo. To do it in a way that I'd be satisfied with, the scenario would have to support it and go in a direction I have no desire for it to go. Plus, I just don't find incest hot, even when done up like a steamy angst-ridden French movie. I did like Dreaming of Dana's approach to it, with the game's ultimate goal being to find a beard to conceal your relationship with your sister. For me, that sold the "society won't accept this" bit that most stories nominally bring up a couple of times but don't ever actually factor into the plot, but I'm also just a sucker for procedural elements.

Anyway, point is, a VN should be more than the sum of its tags, so nevermind what the player wants. Convince them of what you want.
I have to agree with you on that, most of the time it's fucking unrealistic how incest games are done... but I do on occasion read some incest stories, and some of them are great, I just wish those stories could be "translated" into an AVN format, but that's highly unlikely for many reasons.

Pr0GamerJohnny

Forum Fanatic
Sep 7, 2022
I would think from a quality point of view that would be the better way of writing the game anyway. Not thinking so much about "what tags do I need to fulfill" but instead "how can I write a coherent, logical and interesting story" and just take whatever tag ends up being part of that story.
Of course, that's preferable. I was just calling for an honest look and reflection of what indeed represents the majority of gameplay.

Though I'd infer a subtext; your comment is most likely to be made by someone who enjoys the themes which happen to occupy the lion's share of the material, and vice versa, ala

I would think from a quality point of view that would be the better way of writing the game anyway. Not thinking so much about "what tags do I need to fulfill" but instead "how can I write a coherent, logical and interesting story" and just take whatever tag ends up being part of that story. (The themes ending up being a majority of the story just happening to be themes I largely enjoy)

And the same honesty could be applied to my comment-

Everyone here talking about Harem, incest, ntr, yet by FAR the most common theme and tag representation in this game is BDSM, imho at the cost of all others. (those other tags representing themes I would prefer over BDSM)

Ungawa

Apr 16, 2017
I have to agree with you on that, most of the time it's fucking unrealistic how incest games are done... but I do on occasion read some incest stories, and some of them are great, I just wish those stories could be "translated" into an AVN format, but that's highly unlikely for many reasons.
Like anything, it can be done.

Seen a bad game translated by a good one simply with an idea. Seen some people that find a good written story then translate it into a VN.

Can't say nothing's possible. Devs just need time, consideration, a screw loose, and infinite supplies of booze.

Reactions: Biscardone

Takkatakka

Engaged Member
Nov 11, 2022

YuNobi1

Aug 9, 2021
Chapter 4 Up 4 Preview (3)

"We both got here early."

View attachment 3092638

Chapter 4 Up 4 Preview (4)

"Umm... how's... how's it going?"

View attachment 3092646
Is Veronica seriously giving the "I had a great time last night" call? They were just together, so I'm not seeing a reason beyond that to call. They don't have any club business for at least the next day. If she was having regrets, she wouldn't call him until at least 2 days after the date. Edwin doesn't have anything to call her about except to ask for help, but the only thing he would need help with is the Darius business, and I highly doubt he would ring her into that at this juncture.

Takkatakka

Engaged Member
Nov 11, 2022
Is Veronica seriously giving the "I had a great time last night" call? They were just together, so I'm not seeing a reason beyond that to call. They don't have any club business for at least the next day. If she was having regrets, she wouldn't call him until at least 2 days after the date. Edwin doesn't have anything to call her about except to ask for help, but the only thing he would need help with is the Darius business, and I highly doubt he would ring her into that at this juncture.
That's what I meant. If the Carnations are really meant to become LIs, they have to start getting emotionally attached to Edwin at some point. So maybe that is the first glimpse of that happening to Veronica?

YuNobi1

Aug 9, 2021
That's what I meant. If the Carnations are really meant to become LIs, they have to start getting emotionally attached to Edwin at some point. So maybe that is the first glimpse of that happening to Veronica?
Maybe it's just that I'm not interested in her, so I haven't seen her deeper self, but I felt that of all the things Veronica is, that she was positively NOT the type of woman to call her short-term lover the day following a one-night stand, especially a man. Instead, she herself would dress down and degrade any woman who did call, accusing them of having no self-respect, regardless of the woman's feelings for her partner.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: DirtyMario

rippertipper

Sep 22, 2022
Maybe it's just that I'm not interested in her, so I haven't seen her deeper self, but I felt that of all the things Veronica is, that she was positively NOT the type of woman to call her short-term lover the day following a one-night stand, especially a man. Instead, she herself would dress down and degrade any woman who did call, accusing them of having no self-respect, regardless of the woman's feelings for her partner.
Every single one of the Carnations is an emotionally isolated woman, vulnerable. Hell if they weren't, they probably wouldn't be carnations in the first place. So they all have an emotional wall or outward persona they project to separate their true selves, like a hard chocolate coating. Getting to the soft nougat and caramel center of each girl is half the fun. Veronica is no different, and I quite like the tootsie roll at the center of her tootsie pop because she has the thickest candy shell of them all and you only get short glimpses of what lies beneath that shell.

Takkatakka

Engaged Member
Nov 11, 2022
A lot in PC is about duplicity or two-facedness of people. Veronica seems to be very stoic, very sure of her self and very strong in more ways than one. But a lot of that is a facade she tries to keep up. Depending on your choices there have been multiple scenes in which it becomes clear, that she is full of (self-) doubt, that she is very lonely, that she is very afraid to lose the last thing she has (her gym) and that she might start to think that Rosalind actually has a better reason to win the competition than she has.

By now we have also seen her longing for company and support and that was what Edwin gave her multiple times by now. So it would be logical that she might start to feel more for him by now.

lkjhgfdfghjkl

Jul 1, 2021
O-oh no! They’re going to be so pissed at my cheating Edwin! I sure hope they don’t claim their revenge by having hot lesbian sex with each other, that would be horrible!
Do you guys think Mina would secretly expose Edwin in this case?

Given how they started I'm not so sure... even though she does warn him not to play Hana. Despite how impulsive going for both on the GF path seems, he has presumably considered the fallout of them interacting. Duno if being an asshole will necessarily translate into Edwin becoming the victim. :unsure:

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: RHFlash

akselx

Mar 29, 2020
They certainly can be in **a** game, just not this one. And it's not about not inviting people's bitching, because the absence of those traits will also cause people to whine. In fact, no matter what you do, someone will be dissatisfied with it. So, the best thing developers can do is tailor the game to both their personal tastes and what's appropriate for the story they want to tell.

And speaking to my taste, I just don't like harems or incest in stories.

Generally speaking, the MC convincing five women to love and be monogamous solely to him stretches my personal suspension of disbelief a tad too thin in most cases, outside of more shlocky scenarios. It CAN work, but it doesn't suit the tone I want for Pale Carnations.

As for incest, it's usually cheaply done in my opinion, without any sense of weight to the taboo. To do it in a way that I'd be satisfied with, the scenario would have to support it and go in a direction I have no desire for it to go. Plus, I just don't find incest hot, even when done up like a steamy angst-ridden French movie. I did like Dreaming of Dana's approach to it, with the game's ultimate goal being to find a beard to conceal your relationship with your sister. For me, that sold the "society won't accept this" bit that most stories nominally bring up a couple of times but don't ever actually factor into the plot, but I'm also just a sucker for procedural elements.

Anyway, point is, a VN should be more than the sum of its tags, so nevermind what the player wants. Convince them of what you want.
The degeneracy connoisseur have spoken.

4.90 star(s) 477 Votes