• We will be performing maintenance to upgrade some of our forum tools. During this time, the site will remain online, but you may encounter some errors until the maintenance is complete. The report and search functions will be unavailable until the maintenance is complete.

Maintenance is expected to last up to 4 hours.

The maintenance window will start on Thursday, 2024/07/04, at: 1:00 PM GMT / 3:00 PM CEST / 9:00 AM EDT / 6:00 AM PDT / 12:00 AM AEDT

Thank you for your patience.

jmts16

Aug 20, 2017
Just a slight discrepancy, but the writing on the sign caught my eye.

When it came to Latin, the Romans did not use the letter U like in modern European languages such as English or French. Rather the letter V was used to as both a u as well as a w as Latin in the Classical times neither had or used the letter "v" in the modern sense. Latin orthography when used in official business (signage, column writing, official documentation) was only ever used in capital (upper-case pretty much) whilst an archaic form of cursive writing in the lower-case was used as a form of handwriting in regard to letters, notes or accounts. An example of this type of cursive writing is in the spoiler below:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Therefore in regard to the sign shown to be worn around the slaves neck, "natus est servus" should instead be written as:

NATVS EST SERVVS [feminine: NATA EST SERVA]

---

Even then from my basic understanding of Latin, I assume that the creator of the image is attempting to denote that the slave shown "was born a slave". In such a case, the Romans had a for such slaves born into existing bondage, otherwise known as:

VERNA [pronounced wer-na]

---

I have therefore taken the spare time to make a revision to this:

---

Conversely the word for a generic slave in Latin is SERVA [masculine: SERVVS] whilst a female that has been captured but not yet sold into slavery is a CAPTIVA [masculine: CAPTIVUS]. I am willing to help with you devs with any other matters relating to Latin in the game, though other than that I hope this piece of constructive criticism may be of help.
Somehow I already knew this and never studied Latin.

The joys of speaking a latin language.

Reactions: Embarrassment

HerpaDerpington

Game Developer
May 14, 2017
I haven't played a lot but the main UI is very crisp. On the other hand, there is no cancel button to use for when you enter the travel menu and that results to the player having no way to return to the main screen. The background art is one of the best I've seen and reminds me of old adventure games. The character art is top notch too, with proper proportions.

I can't speak for the gameplay or the story context much since it's still in development but this is a project with a lot of potential. People who appreciate the (heavily) romanticized aspect of Ancient Rome - especially as being depicted in popular TV shows - will appreciate this instantly.

If slaves can somehow be randomly generated that would make the game even better, but I understand if this never gets implemented.

Deckmaster

Jul 30, 2017
I would have enjoyed it if the mini game wasn't just awful and unplayable. Sorry man, the idea sounds awesome but it seems like nobody enjoy it because of this.
What is so unplayable about it then? You press 1 for soft 2 for middle and 3 for hard. All you need is the cursor inside the green until she caves in and submits to the MC.

However you first have to use the command stay here in the bordello with the old woman.

Nov 18, 2017
What is so unplayable about it then? You press 1 for soft 2 for middle and 3 for hard. All you need is the cursor inside the green until she caves in and submits to the MC.

However you first have to use the command stay here in the bordello with the old woman.
I tried several times, the green thing disappears and the bar is fully red but nothing happens. Nothing. Ever. So i simply let the cursor go and still nothing.

Deckmaster

Jul 30, 2017
The cursor moves to the left from the start. You either press key number 1 or 2 to move it back inside the green area. And wait until it almost moves out of the green zone and press 2 most likely again. If you do it 'the wrong' way the green part shrinks and dissapears. Just don't bash the button.

215303j

One thing I have to say about the punishment minigame, is that, in my opinion, it does take a bit too long for the slave to give in, which makes it a bit too tedious. A chore, although you play a game for relaxation (and/or fapping).

On the other hand, that, combined with the realistic marks on her body, does give the feeling of "I don't like this anymore than you do", which I think, goes very well with the theme of the game. After all, the MC is not a sadist (although he is a tough veteran) but someone who has reluctantly accepted this last way to save his family's fortune.

I do hope that the punishment minigame takes a different form (or is not required anymore) in later stages of the game, when the slave is better trained and more experienced. As I said above, to me, it is a tedious chore, and I would get tired of it if I had to do it too often. Maybe you can tell your manservant to punish the girl instead of having to do it yourself?

Miðgarðsormr

Engaged Member
Oct 1, 2017
I dont grind trough minigames to get shit done sry. Game started great but this mini game is repetitive and annoying af.

GoyimKnow

Jan 7, 2018
Great game, I love the setting and the premise. Its quite unique to have a realistic Roman adult game, I hope the dev pushes this through. One thing I would like to point out though is the tediousness of the mini-game which I think probably needs a rework.

Oddmund

Jan 11, 2018
I dont grind trough minigames to get shit done sry. Game started great but this mini game is repetitive and annoying af.
i thought so too, but on my 4th playthrugh i only needed to play the minigame 5 times to get all 3 sexoptions unlockd and didnt have to use it again but of course i had the option to a few times, but i found its better for her mood to just let her deny, and try to do a new try. hehe

Reactions: Argox

dirtythirty

Apr 18, 2018
First things first, not so long time lurker, first time poster. Happy to be new member of this community.

I really want to like this game. I have been craving Rome related game (mainstream or eroge) since disappointment that Total War: Rome was at release. This game is clearly labour of love and I want it to succeed.

I love attention to detail in graphics and writing. Clearly developers did their historical research and put lot of thought into integrating that knowledge into corruption mechanic. I understand it is an alpha, but I'd love to be able to at least play the game from official release instead of crunched version.

I'd be happy to donate, however developer is showing worrying behaviours, especially attacks on contributing community member bossapplesauce for spending his time on making game accessible to more users. I am worried by reported DRMisation and obfuscation of open source code base preventing use of community tools.

I love times of Roman Repuplic, can say with confidence that I consumed most of media available on the topic, but I feel even stronger about open source. As it stands now, I'll wait for next 2-3 updates to see how situation progresses.

Reactions: Master of Puppets

Argox

Jan 6, 2018
Actually, the minigame is not necesary, I believe. You can just let her deny and try again a bit later. But I think that it should be necesary in the game for future versions with slaves too rebelious, or even masochistic ones. If not, players will just forget the minigame after a couple of trys.

D

Deleted member 604239

The art looks decent to good. The UI looks good, at first glance... the gameplay is shit. No, wait, some people are into shit and might think it was good. The gameplay is bad.

The core gameplay loop just isn't fun. The management part seems to complex for the end result. Why do I need to be able to manage the brothel in that much detail? The wasted time moving from one location to another.... Why do I need to see it every time? worst off is the fact our character stays present on the screen all the time. Either add animation to the transit screens or remove them. And no one get me wrong, I'm not saying the passing of time with transit is a problem - that's actually a good game mechanic - it's the meaningless waste of my time as the player that's the problem.

Then there's the shitty punishment minigame. Here's an idea, don't waste my time with it. You already have actual changes in the model shown on screen, how about you use those in combination with how many times we hit the slave to say if we hit her too hard or didn't punish her enough? but no, we have to contend with a Meet'n'Fuck/lifeselector "minigame". (and yes, I know it's not the actual devs that uploaded this here)

And then there's the Daily Planner... it's not everyday you see that mechanic implemented that badly, a veritable sight to behold.

The game has a rarely encountered setting. It seems to want to execute it well. Too bad it fails at being a game so hard. I actually wanted to like this but as it is I don't even see potential in this. The devs clearly have a vision as to what the actual core gameplay loop will entail and I just don't find that vision entertaining.

PS. This is the first time I post here, but don't let that stop anyone that disagrees with me from expressing their opinions.

Reactions: HunterBuliwyf

Infamy

Engaged Member
Sep 25, 2016
Like the game sucker for games like this some glaring things that need done

1. Bugs my god the bugs in this game

2. Mini game is fucking ass it barely works correctly and is frustration more then a reward

3. Travel time is a bit much I would say but that I can overlook

There is others but they are me nit picking might post em later.

dvemail

Game Developer
May 9, 2017
I'd be happy to donate, however developer is showing worrying behaviours, especially attacks on contributing community member bossapplesauce for spending his time on making game accessible to more users. I am worried by reported DRMisation and obfuscation of open source code base preventing use of community tools.

I love times of Roman Repuplic, can say with confidence that I consumed most of media available on the topic, but I feel even stronger about open source. As it stands now, I'll wait for next 2-3 updates to see how situation progresses.
I don't know why you think the game is open source. The engine RenPy is open source, but the game is copyrighted by our team, and we've taken small measures to protect our assets. It's not designed for people to steal. Will they do so, like 'boassapplesauce'? sure, they will. But don't expect us to support in any way ripped off and broken code.

Second, I *never* see anyone who says that they are 'happy to donate' ever do so. People that want input on the direction of the game will donate, people that want to complain about a free game developed at great expense by others - like you - will not.

Also, I believe that many, if not most of the weird loop issues that people are seeing are issues with the cracked/stolen assets version, we're not seeing it from our play testers.

Warwhale

Dec 27, 2017
I believe that the premise of this game is awesome, that the art is great, and that you have the foundations of something which will become magnificent.

3.40 star(s) 23 Votes