Demoness_Kiss

Forum Fanatic
Jun 9, 2017
At the end of the day, putting aside my personal opinions on this game vs that game, a dev that will drop something once without worry about finishing it, is likely to do it again. Patreon (and sites like it) are essentially investment platforms where people can go to invest in a particular product or service they would like to see grow. The difference being that instead of financial return, their return is the product or service offered by the person(s) they are investing in. From that point of view, it wouldn't be a very wise decision to invest in a "company" that starts off with a reputation for leaving projects unfinished. If he wants to keep a steady income, he has to establish a better reputation for delivering on the product or service he is trying to sell. And so far, he's 0-1. Objectivity aside, I hope he proves me wrong and finally delivers on everything he's put out there. But at this point, I'm not hopeful. He's got the skills to be a great dev. But he really needs to do better on the business side of things if he ever is going to be considered more than a hobbyist dev at best.
I mean, My Real Desire is pretty decent if you ask me ^^

Oct 26, 2017
oh yeah but it was a bit confusing and too many characters
Sorry if it was misunderstood, I tried to be clear that I have no inherent bias towards one game or the other. I just feel like the dev should finish the game he started before moving on to the next. Tbh, I would even find it acceptable if he did what other devs have done which is to alternate between titles with each update. TK8000, just to use as an example, will do an update or two for Solvalley, then go back to HS Tutor for an update or two. That way, he's not stretching himself too thin. Going back to the investment thing, it also keeps two different groups of "investors" interested in your service, thus increasing your income potential without really increasing your workload. Potentially could help with "burnout" as well because he's not looking at the same game every time.

Demoness_Kiss

Forum Fanatic
Jun 9, 2017
Sorry if it was misunderstood, I tried to be clear that I have no inherent bias towards one game or the other. I just feel like the dev should finish the game he started before moving on to the next. Tbh, I would even find it acceptable if he did what other devs have done which is to alternate between titles with each update. TK8000, just to use as an example, will do an update or two for Solvalley, then go back to HS Tutor for an update or two. That way, he's not stretching himself too thin. Going back to the investment thing, it also keeps two different groups of "investors" interested in your service, thus increasing your income potential without really increasing your workload. Potentially could help with "burnout" as well because he's not looking at the same game every time.
but some dev can't handle two projects at the same time: see examples such as Niichan(Dev of Bully is my lover and life changing choices, where he ultimately put Life-changing Choices on hold, or he is simply focusing on MBML, despite this one being a sequel of Lifechanging Choices)

Oct 26, 2017
but some dev can't handle two projects at the same time: see examples such as Niichan(Dev of Bully is my lover and life changing choices, where he ultimately put Life-changing Choices on hold, or he is simply focusing on MBML, despite this one being a sequel of Lifechanging Choices)
I can completely agree with not doing more than one at a time if you can't handle it, but it goes back to my previous point in that case, which is that he should have finished the one he was working on before moving on to the second. By dropping this game, he has established a reputation now for leaving games unfinished.

Think of it from a reverse point of view. You like My Real Desire....

How would you have felt about the dev if the situation had been reversed. You're starting to really enjoy the game and loving every new update. Then the dev just up and decides to drop it to work on something else. New characters and a different story that you know nothing about and are not invested in. Sure you might be able to find some enjoyment in his new game, but wouldn't you have liked to find out what was going to happen next in My Real Desire or how it concluded?

Sure some people are here for a "release" and that's all. That's fine. But personally, I enjoy the story and character development. Lyk4n has a talent for both. But unfortunately he gave the entire Peaceful Life community the Sopranos treatment and left us seemingly eternally with no explanation nor closure. He just quit the game and moved on.

And I feel apprehension for the My Real Desire fans. Because now that he's done it once, there's nothing to say it won't happen again. He's developing now, but if he gets tired of working on that game in a couple months, there's nothing to say he won't drop it too and either move on or just stop developing altogether.

As I said before, I hope I'm wrong and he delivers on My Real Desire and hopefully on Peaceful Life someday as well. But that's yet to be seen and I don't have much hope of either now.

Demoness_Kiss

Forum Fanatic
Jun 9, 2017
I can completely agree with not doing more than one at a time if you can't handle it, but it goes back to my previous point in that case, which is that he should have finished the one he was working on before moving on to the second. By dropping this game, he has established a reputation now for leaving games unfinished.

How would you have felt about the dev if the situation had been reversed. You're starting to really enjoy the game and loving every new update. Then the dev just up and decides to drop it to work on something else. New characters and a different story that you know nothing about and are not invested in. Sure you might be able to find some enjoyment in his new game, but wouldn't you have liked to find out what was going to happen next in My Real Desire or how it concluded?

Sure some people are here for a "release" and that's all. That's fine. But personally, I enjoy the story and character development. Lyk4n has a talent for both. But unfortunately he gave the entire Peaceful Life community the Sopranos treatment and left us seemingly eternally with no explanation nor closure. He just quit the game and moved on.

And I feel apprehension for the My Real Desire fans. Because now that he's done it once, there's nothing to say it won't happen again. He's developing now, but if he gets tired of working on that game in a couple months, there's nothing to say he won't drop it too and either move on or just stop developing altogether.

As I said before, I hope I'm wrong and he delivers on My Real Desire and hopefully on Peaceful Life someday as well. But that's yet to be seen and I don't have much hope of either now.
never said that i disagree with you at all...but also my point of view is: if the game gets abandoned i won't care enough to cry...i'll find another VN.

but you're right...but i still give a chance to a developer...bc i'm not investing money anyway XD

UriahAE

Sep 3, 2022
Uhh... I want to ask if I can avoid blackmailing Akane 'cause I don't know what "picture" they're talking about

Scy7he

Nov 29, 2018

late of a reply, but the reason why he put the game on-hold or abandoned was made clear and I even made a comment here explaining it...I guess he should have updated this thread to state his reasons here as well but that is what I hoped would have happened

he was doing alternate updates between this game and MRD, but he found himself not liking all the premise that he created for this game, also coding this game was apparently tiring because the code he had written was poor and thus threw tons and tons of bugs that took more time fixing than actually creating an update...

so I guess he got burnt out of this game and decided to shift his focus on the game that wasn't a coding nightmare

also don't know if he'll back his word or not, but his plan is to complete MRD and then start Peaceful Life from scratch

Shawnchapp

Modder
Feb 13, 2018
To be fair, what the Demoness Kiss said is pretty much what the game's dev told us more than 2 years ago....
And lyk4n has been consistent on that, afaik.
Ya that also happened when the game was only offically "on hold" now its marked as "abandoned" so as i said "we'll see"

Sonico

Forum Fanatic
Jul 21, 2018
Ya that also happened when the game was only offically "on hold" now its marked as "abandoned" so as i said "we'll see"
The abandoned mark is totally on how the yes, quite inconsistently applied criteria of the mods in the forums work. It's far from the only game to go through that.

Shawnchapp

Modder
Feb 13, 2018
The abandoned mark is totally on how the yes, quite inconsistently applied criteria of the mods in the forums work. It's far from the only game to go through that.

Meh, still going to wait and see and not get my hopes up Lol

Demoness_Kiss

Forum Fanatic
Jun 9, 2017
Meh, still going to wait and see and not get my hopes up Lol
Still if a dev says that their game is on hold...it should stay on hold until further notice...and yet the mods put the abandoned tag anyway, i even reported and my ticket got dismissed...

Shawnchapp

Modder
Feb 13, 2018
Still if a dev says that their game is on hold...it should stay on hold until further notice...and yet the mods put the abandoned tag anyway, i even reported and my ticket got dismissed...

ever think maybe it keeps getting dismissed because the Dev themselves switched it from "on hold" to "abandoned"

without actually knowing all the facts none of us actually know whats happen behind the scene

3.80 star(s) 17 Votes