4.60 star(s) 24 Votes

DevinHesi

Engaged Member
Oct 29, 2021

Turns out I didn't really have time to work on chapter 4 while away on vacation, but the upside is that I am now excited to get back to work.
I have written and worked on the map, but thats pretty much it. So I will ramp back up this weekend and give a more detailed status report then.

Ali ibn Hassan

Engaged Member
Dec 19, 2019

Today starts the continued work on Chapter 4. I will work on all aspects of this chapter through out the week, with rendering being the obvious focus. I don't think I'll preview any of scene 10 (except for the image from last log) because I'd like it to be at least a minor surprise of who shows up. So I made this image of Gabrielle yesterday, because I do think you all deserve more than just my ramblings.
Funny DAZ story? First shot of the day, I manage to crash the program...now I remember why I have an ulcer. No, I don't actually, but it is aggravating for sure. The upside I guess is that I can recreate the set up pretty quickly. Oh, I forgot to mention that I made the rookie mistake of not saving before starting the render which crashed the program? Ahh, vacation, how destructive you can be to good habits.
Next weekend I should have an excellent idea of where we stand on chapter 4, and its upcoming release date.
I'll be posting as I go on the discord pocket-diary.
Cheers!

Darkdevil66

Apr 16, 2020
ValerieCh4.png

I'm feeling really good about the progress made in the last week. We currently are at 935 renders. Scene 10 is nearly done. 5 scenes of images are ready to be plugged in to Renpy. I have written quite a bit both punching up parts of this chapter and for future chapters in episode 1. I will go through and clean up some small portions of the code just so the choices made are easier to call back at any point. I thought I would be able to give a definitive release date at this point, but I almost rather just say: Things are going really well. I have a tendency (as all of you that have been around here for a little while know).

I purchased a batch rendering program/script, and I am going to spend the time to learn at least how to render over night. I think that is the first step to speed up the process for me. This is my first AVN, the first season/case/episode will be a step by step learning experience. I appreciate everyone who are supporting that process. It also makes it possible for me to invest in the pieces that I need to produce the story the way I like it as opposed to putting the cart in front of the horse/ox. To be clear, you guys make it possible to tell the story the way I want to, not how it's convenient/inexpensive.

It is good to be back!

Darkdevil66

Apr 16, 2020
Lily button.png

I have 3 more scenes to render before the chapter can be released. I have fully caught up to the writing, which I find somewhat problematic as I like to take my time with this. However, it might be a proper kick to get me going. This week we reached 1010 renders, and 13,230 words (out of 45,400 total words). I put a few more player cards into the game and probably should feel pretty good about everything had my week not started with a Daz crash fest. Not sure what the problem was. I'm guessing the location was taking up too much of the graphic card capacity, but I tried everything to fix it and it was for not.

The scene I'm on is pretty straight forward as is the last scene...which leaves the middle scene. I think this is 4-5 render days, which means that I should be done with rendering in about two and a half weeks. This week will all be writing, coding and image processing, so that when the final render is done it won't take long before the release.

Cheers!

Jay Bird

Dec 30, 2020
Unfortunately i can't play the game since every time that i start to dowload it the Mcafee goes on saying it contains a virus
Is it happening to someone else?

MiltonPowers

Twins Basil! Twins!
Donor
Jul 26, 2023
Unfortunately i can't play the game since every time that i start to dowload it the Mcafee goes on saying it contains a virus
Is it happening to someone else?
It was march when I played, but virus check was fine and I had no problems. Did you try a different download server?

Reactions: MrPocketRocket

Darkdevil66

Apr 16, 2020
ch4s11at.png

Today we are a handful of renders away from finishing scene 11. Current total is 1,085. After that there are 3 more scenes. I added one scene to the total because it is part of the investigation and provides some insight that I felt was best suited in this chapter. 1 new environment in those three scenes. The writing has been pretty productive and I will finish this chapter next couple of days. 15,000 words so far, which is quite a bit more than previous chapters although there is a choice that leads to one scene or another. Outside of the writing I will focus on post image work and coding this week. Not sure how much rendering will be done as I will be working over the weekend...but we are getting close.

Have a great week !

Darkdevil66

Apr 16, 2020
ch4s12a.png

I'm sorry I missed my usual Sunday Case Log, but work was grueling to say the very least. I finished scene 11 over the weekend and have now started the flashback scene for the chapter, and thought I'd share the first render. It took a bit to figure out how to go about the environment, and I didn't want to be repetitive this early on. The squad have traveled north on a mission, so what could go wrong? Well, plenty. I got a fair deal of post work done. On scene 6 at the moment, which requires work on an asset that just isn't the best. After that, the post work should be a breeze.

Did not get much coding done, but that's just a lot of copying and pasting. Have added a number of Player Cards to the game. Still working on the map, and hope to have it done by release of chapter 4...but I won't delay to get that in there. Rendering today and tomorrow, so should see a fair deal of progress. Current render count: 1,104 so not a real bite out of the final number, but I'm happy to have at least finished scene 11.

Cheers !

DevinHesi

Engaged Member
Oct 29, 2021

1724108191083.png

So the job I did last weekend gifted me with a passenger...a little virus known as covid. Screwed up my render plans a bit. Couldn't do anything Friday, some Saturday and some today. It wasn't terrible as terrible goes, but it was still real unfun for the peak two days. I'm on the mend and I believe we are through 65% (maybe more) of scene 12. It's really just 20-25 renders, but they are involved and have too many characters and action:)

So there is another new character that gets introduced in this chapter: Grace, City Hall Clerk. She happens to be the twin of...Hannah, Rackham City Librarian. I was toying with the idea of having Hannah work in both places, but it felt like I was just trying to make a joke. Add a twin and I'm STILL just trying to make a joke. Anyway, the lovely, but particular, sisters are not part of the main lineup of LIs, but more backup LIs or future LIs... Alright! Fine! I don't know what the hell they are, but they fill a story purpose and they are lovely. I'm sure we will get to know them better in the future.

Render count? 1,150 but 5-6 muzzle flash spot renders in there so fair count more like 1,144. If I can just get through this current scene, I only have a 2 people scene and a 3 people scene...end scene. That's what they say in the acting classes after the scene is done: "End scene." Some idiots say: "And scene." Why would you say that at the end of a scene? Feels like this is becoming a rant, so I'm optimistic that I will be done with this scene next full render day I have. (Saturday).

DevinHesi

Engaged Member
Oct 29, 2021

1724633652940.png

Back to the customary Sunday log. Some good progress last few days. I have finished writing the chapter, but there is one scene that I'll probably do a bit of a rewrite on. Nothing major, but I felt that some of the dialogue was a little forced. I'll iron that out this week. I've mapped out almost all of chapter 5 scene by scene, so will start to write that right after polishing this chapter which is exciting. I just finished scene 12 renders, so I'm hoping to start 13 today. Probably won't get too many renders done as this is a new environment: Rackham City Hall.

I'm not happy with how long this chapter has taken to render. I do have a problem with over-rendering...I think, but I also enjoy that part of the process the most and like to not take the easy route. For chapter 5 I'm going to try something out. I'm going to set a deadline for myself and see if that helps. Originally I thought I would release a chapter every other month. What a fool I was. No chance in hell I can do that. However, I am going to try to set a 3 month deadline. 4 chapters a year would be an ideal pace, if I can manage. If I render 100 images a week that lands me at 1200, which is probably the max for any of the chapters. The scenes themselves obviously matter in terms of complexity, but that should even out. So I'll give that a proper go, and we'll see what happens.

Right now Chapter 4 stands at 1,180 renders and finished at 16,550 words...only good for comparison with previous chapters. Last chapter was less than 1,000 renders and just over 11,000 words.

Cheers!

Darkdevil66

Apr 16, 2020
Screenshot 2024-08-27 173250.png

So I got an hour and a half to render a few images for scene 13 in chapter 4. It's quite the difference between a scene in the jungle, where every muzzle flash needs to be dragged a mile across the environment and a nice little City Hall Library scene...visually there is no comparison; I like the jungle. Time wise, I really appreciate the less time consuming, two character interaction. So I'm looking for angle to make the shots more interesting. Found one !

ps. I chuckled out loud when I looked at it in DAZ...it's slowly reveling itself in all of it's iray glory. Made my day.

4.60 star(s) 24 Votes