Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
I have to defend the compressed versions. :D I have a powerful PC too, so I never had issues with file size or loading. My internet DL just sucks, and I want to download in 5 minutes and play, not wait an hour for it. :D To be a faster pirate, I would have to move to a different region, or wait a few years when the internet infrastructure upgrade is planned here. :D
I didn't say there was an issue with compressed versions or that they were wrong in any way.

I was just answering that tool that called people idiots for wanting full size and quality.

ThunderRob

Devoted Member
May 10, 2018
usually want full size and quality..have alot of space..really fast internet..and now thanks to a buddy i have quality video and can see how good renders actually are now :p

Volta

Apr 27, 2017
It's ok because Dev said "You can download in two ways : Full size file (5.2GB) and split files (1GB each file)". So you can still can download full size file. Don't worry :love:
Yes, that is true but the point is that there won't be an "all in one" after this update, rather he will split them into chapter chunks, presumably around the same file size, so we'll have chapter 1 (5.2GB) then a separate chapter 2 of around the same size and a separate chapter three of the same size, each time answering a questionnaire rather than carrying over the persistent files for saves and choice, unlocked scenes ect. where the dev could just optimise the damn images and not need to waste time with this workaround, therefore the next version will be the last "full size file".

Also downloading in 1GB sections is fine and all but it doesn't reduce the DL time, in fact it just makes it a pain in the ass, if the file size is that big of a problem release it as a torrent, or just optimise the bloody thing a bit.

Honestly why waste effort on this work around when you could just incorporate more efficiency in file sizes through compression or file extension changes, what is the dev playing at? He's been doing this for a few years now, he should know how to reduce file size without resorting to these bizarre measures.

Again i think i need to say i like the game itself and the dev is far more reliable than most thumbs up for him on that, my problem is this one choice of his, not him personally. I love "full fat" content as much as the next guy but this approach seems to be high tier muppetry to me.

I have an upper mid range PC with a shed load of space and internet speeds fast enough to make large downloads trivial, large files aren't a problem for me, it's the way he's working around it that doesn't really add up , light compression is virtually impossible to notice, even on my 2K monitor. Really, what's a 2-5% drop in quality compared to the convenience of a single version rather than chapters?, single files are better for everyone, whereas games broken into chunks in the name of file sizes are only important for some, i don't think that trade off is worth it when there are other methods that could achieve the same result more effectively without the inconvenience. I do get the idea that what i'm talking about is the cons of a 2-5% quality loss compared to the inconvenience of a split file game and that some people are more worried about that last few percent than others but really, ease of use is important too, i would say far more than a very minor change in image quality.

I don't normally worry too much about this sort of thing but i'm having trouble getting my head around the logic of this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: opfela

DerKnochenpoet

Feb 17, 2019
I have to defend the compressed versions. :D I have a powerful PC too, so I never had issues with file size or loading. My internet DL just sucks, and I want to download in 5 minutes and play, not wait an hour for it. :D To be a faster pirate, I would have to move to a different region, or wait a few years when the internet infrastructure upgrade is planned here. :D
1hour for 5gig?????took 5minutes

Gentoo

Game Developer
Apr 10, 2019
Yeah, heaven forbid people with high end PC's want to see 4k pictures, they must be idiots for wanting high quality.

Tool.....
No I'd like to see them myself but 5Gb for - 180 + image update is insane and idiotic. Ren'Py will allow you to extract just updates, all you need is a website to serve to files and that can even be done on you own computer with Apache and very low computer skill.

JohnJG

Engaged Member
May 17, 2018
This looks so damned good.

I haven’t played it for a while, looking forward to playing it again with this update. These renders are extremely good quality.:) :coffee:

Dripping

Feb 16, 2019
I strongly prefer big image files myself. The differences are hardly noticable at first glance, but when you know what to look for, then yes, there certainly are differences.

Anyway, if the questionaire is the problem, then even that could be circumvented. For example, a little tool to export a savegame into a .csv or .xml file and convert it to the structure of the next part should be possible. In the case of encrypted saves, this would sadly need some dedicated hacking. A good reason why encrypted savegames, especially for single player games, are just silly.

Another option that Ren'py offers, are persistant saves. These are saves into the computer registry though, so I'm sure that has limitations (like, not available on MAC or Android ports), and not everybody will be happy with having a chunk of random stuff in their registry.

rKnight

Devoted Member
Jun 12, 2017
Stranded with Benefits sold me completely, now Pine Falls, this update is smth I was really waiting for, unfortunately there is no version update patch, but this time I won't complain about something I don't pay, THX to the heroes who share this so fast, and greetings to ppl commenting here. ;)

wall-1200x0-c-default.jpg

3.70 star(s) 102 Votes