-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
yeah i do the same, usually i prefer to wait for complete games...mostly it depends actually XD let's just say that i should review at least half of the games in my signature and i have yet to write down a review for ANY of them yet XD
I do personally try to do a fair bit before a game is completed simply:
  • to demonstrate they really haven't figured anything out even after quite a bit of work, whether newer or not;
  • because I'd like to help what seem to be solid devs in their progress toward a career sooner than later.
It's not a lot, but some people who see games here choose to support devs. Knowing who has proven themselves skilled (or fumbling around still) can hopefully give folks more confidence to support (or stay away).

If a dev shows great promise, I feel more comfortable giving them the benefit of the doubt if they have at least 10 releases under their belts, and it doesn't require a game's completion before recommending them.

If they seem still to be figuring out their game and development processes, I feel better giving them a chance to get it together. But if after 10 or 15 releases they still seem incompetent, well, people really should know about it.

And, ofc, if they seem to be addicted to starting and abandoning projects, I definitely want to recommend people off of those devs.

Reactions: Fiatos

Demoness_Kiss

Forum Fanatic
Jun 9, 2017
I do personally try to do a fair bit before a game is completed simply:
  • to demonstrate they really haven't figured anything out even after quite a bit of work, whether newer or not;
  • because I'd like to help what seem to be solid devs in their progress toward a career sooner than later.
It's not a lot, but some people who see games here choose to support devs. Knowing who has proven themselves skilled (or fumbling around still) can hopefully give folks more confidence to support (or stay away).

If a dev shows great promise, I feel more comfortable giving them the benefit of the doubt if they have at least 10 releases under their belts, and it doesn't require a game's completion before recommending them.

If they seem still to be figuring out their game and development processes, I feel better giving them a chance to get it together. But if after 10 or 15 releases they still seem incompetent, well, people really should know about it.
Fair enough the issue is that some dev don't read reviews at all...to be fair...some reviews are either full of insults, or written so poorly that they're not even partially understandable or worse written by someone who just wanted to fap and after that put a 5star review and moved on to fap on something else

I do want my review to be constructive? Yes, and usually even when i angrily write down what's wrong with a VN...i try to be constructive even when i write stuff like "what the hell was wrong with the dev when he/she added [name of a game-mechanic or a plot-line that doesn't make sense]" or "the dev really took a dump on his own creation with this new version of the game"

Will the devs ever read them? No idea...i hope so...but even hoping for that would be arrogant of me, it would imply that the dev SHOULD read my reviews rather than someone else's...keep in mind that bits of such arrogance come from me, knowing how bad some reviews are...they just say "this sucks" or "that was bad" without explaining any further...not really a review but rather a parade of whiny and pointless insults.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Fair enough the issue is that some dev don't read reviews at all...to be fair...some reviews are either full of insults, or written so poorly that they're not even partially understandable or worse written by someone who just wanted to fap and after that put a 5star review and moved on to fap on something else

I do want my review to be constructive? Yes, and usually even when i angrily write down what's wrong with a VN...i try to be constructive even when i write stuff like "what the hell was wrong with the dev when he/she added [name of a game-mechanic or a plot-line that doesn't make sense]" or "the dev really took a dump on his own creation with this new version of the game"

Will the devs ever read them? No idea...i hope so...but even hoping for that would be arrogant of me, it would imply that the dev SHOULD read my reviews rather than someone else's...keep in mind that bits of such arrogance come from me, knowing how bad some reviews are...they just say "this sucks" or "that was bad" without explaining any further...not really a review but rather a parade of whiny and pointless insults.
I haven't done a huge number of reviews overall, and I believe most of those I have done are decently highly rated, but there are at least one or two that were only 2 stars (or thereabouts). Even still, like you say, I take my time to figure out what exactly has gone wrong and to specify that in the reviews. I also don't believe anyone is capable of making an absolutely perfect game, so even if I give something 5 stars, I try hard to find something for the dev to improve. (Realistically, all my 5-star reviews are really 4½ stars, but I tend to round those up rather than down.)

Demoness_Kiss

Forum Fanatic
Jun 9, 2017
I haven't done a huge number of reviews overall, and I believe most of those I have done are decently highly rated, but there are at least one or two that were only 2 stars (or thereabouts). Even still, like you say, I take my time to figure out what exactly has gone wrong and to specify that in the reviews. I also don't believe anyone is capable of making an absolutely perfect game, so even if I give something 5 stars, I try hard to find something for the dev to improve. (Realistically, all my 5-star reviews are really 4½ stars, but I tend to round those up rather than down.)
Pretty much same ^^

Wafflewaffuru

Feb 10, 2021
The very first episode of Radiant was fantastic.

Man has his life turned upside down in an accident, spends years in a coma, love of his life has triplets then dies of cancer and then his daughters find him.

It had a proper emotional kick, it was a really good read.

Then it turned into generic incest game number 389749. The personalities of the girls are generic, the story went generic and some of the the things that happened were so dumb it baffled me how someone thought it would be a good idea to put it out for public consumption.

For instance. Imagine if your neighbour was a member of the police force, threatened you in broad daylight and filmed what you did every night, saw you kiss your daughter and thought that was a gotcha moment.

Not only would be they be up on harassment charges, a kiss has never been illegal so wouldn't go anywhere anyway.

As for the daughters. You've got the happy ditzy one, the sensible mature one and the angry brooding one. If more generic personalities exist, i've never heard of the.

Look, I don't dislike Radiant because it meant the dev shit on fans of this game when he was in no position at all to start on another game .... I dislike it because the devs started strong and had the chance to do something amazing yet made just another incest game.

Shit on fans of one game for nothing.
Once I saw the crazy neighbor guy or w/e say "I've got you now" or whatever that line of dialogue implying a bunch of drama was at the end of 0.1,I think it was? Or the second update? I hopped off, immediately. I don't play these for a bunch of drama, which is why I quit playing dating my daughter. I like story, I like characters, I like character development, one thing I don't like though is drama. I got enough of it in my life to last me 20 lifetimes.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Once I saw the crazy neighbor guy or w/e say "I've got you now" or whatever that line of dialogue implying a bunch of drama was at the end of 0.1,I think it was? Or the second update? I hopped off, immediately. I don't play these for a bunch of drama, which is why I quit playing dating my daughter. I like story, I like characters, I like character development, one thing I don't like though is drama. I got enough of it in my life to last me 20 lifetimes.
I'm exactly the same. Too much drama really puts me off.

That's why I love games like Triangle and Knights Tale. Just nice little stories full of wholesome goodness. There is enough drama in real life that I don't need when i'm relaxing.

It's one of the reasons i'm one of the few that took a massive shit on Acting Lessons when people kept praising it. It wasn't even because of the fire but more by the time the fire happened I was already drama'd out because the dev skull fucked pacing until it was dead and every update was drama on top of drama on top of drama so by the time the big drama came around I really couldn't give a shit anymore.

That and it happened too fast without letting that particular 3 way build up more. If you are going to have a huge dramatic moment like that then you need at least 2 updates with no drama whatsoever to level the tone off, focus on those characters and their budding relationship, make people love them and want them to get thier happily ever after THAN hit them with the drama.

Ranting.

Point is, some devs rely far too heavily on drama.

Some really good VN's do skate the drama line but some just go too far overboard.

jaw1986baby

Chasing Redhead sm0ls
Donor
Jun 2, 2017

That's why I love games like Triangle and Knights Tale. Just nice little stories full of wholesome goodness. There is enough drama in real life that I don't need when i'm relaxing.

It's one of the reasons i'm one of the few that took a massive shit on Acting Lessons when people kept praising it. It wasn't even because of the fire but more by the time the fire happened I was already drama'd out because the dev skull fucked pacing until it was dead and every update was drama on top of drama on top of drama so by the time the big drama came around I really couldn't give a shit anymore.

That and it happened too fast without letting that particular 3 way build up more. If you are going to have a huge dramatic moment like that then you need at least 2 updates with no drama whatsoever to level the tone off, focus on those characters and their budding relationship, make people love them and want them to get thier happily ever after THAN hit them with the drama.

Ranting.

Some really good VN's do skate the drama line but some just go too far overboard.
Do you follow Killer7 and his VNs? He does not like extra drama and while it is a male MC he has a LOT of female LIs in his VNs

I have not seen you in those threads as I recall....

OK to add Polarity related topics, I do not recall the drama in this. It was the serial killer or something right? That is a serious threat but didn't we defeat it before the Great Pause? It has been a while so I am fuzzy on details. But I think Damned likes to have a threat but have the MC overcome it. I mean I only have 2 samples to base this off of. So very small basis for my theory. But if the drama is contained and there is a chance to overcome that is better, far better than Queen Avaron's example of DPC and his dumbass "I'm going to burn one of your ladies and there AIN'T SHIT YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT!!" (I hated other things prior as she did but that..... MAN WTF)

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: Killer7

Demoness_Kiss

Forum Fanatic
Jun 9, 2017

Ranting.

I can't stand Niichan's game for the same reason of the "too much drama". In Niichan's games everyone has a sad (usually traumatic) backstory (aside MC from MBML who is the victim of the rage of someone with a tragic backstory, and it's not even his fault but his father's) and while i don't mind dramas(when the drama make sense and has a slow but steady pacing) in Niichan's games you're "force-feed" dramas in each chapter, basically carpet-bombing your mind with dramas without having the time to digest them.

Then there are games that want to show drama, but truth is that nothing really happens. An example of this concept is My New Family and Lost & Found:

In the first game, at some point MC gets paranoid because he is scared that he MAY become like his abusive father, despite the fact that there aren't any hints of him being mean at all(aside when he bullied the girl who bullied Lucy back in high school, and even then, it's portrayed like a noble act of justice) and it gets solved with a 10-lines dialogue with Alice(the loli-sister) the very same day MC becomes paranoid

In the second game, similarly the mean Sister(Kylie) is mean to MC right away, for no reason, she doesn't know him personally(well...weirdly enough, she does, but i guess she never learned his real name, which is weird but i'll explain soon) but she acts like a jerk to him, until a day later, she discovers that MC was the guy she used to play World of Warcraft with and that she had a crush on, and saved her from her step-father attempting to rape her by calling the police(by tracking her IP totally hacker-style and discovering where she lives)....weird how she didn't recognize his voice, huh? And only half of a decade has passed since then. Weird how (based on the dialogues and MC's narration in the prologue) it seems they spent years playing together but never once asked for real-life names, or asked each other where they were living during random conversations, or about their family situations...

So there are games where the drama is too intense, and games where the drama gets brushed off in a few lines...when it should be a bit more explored, or the drama is so pointless that it shouldn't be there AT ALL.

In this, i like My Real Desire, because the pacing allows you to digest one drama, by solving another or having non-dramatic days while MC just...does his things.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: Avaron1974

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Do you follow Killer7 and his VNs? He does not like extra drama and while it is a male MC he has a LOT of female LIs in his VNs

I have not seen you in those threads as I recall....
I have played My New Family but unfortunately it's one of those harem games I really don't like.

I'm not a fan of those conveyer belt harems where he goes from one girl to the next like it's a queue. I get bored of them. If i'm going to play a harem game then I need something like Sisterly Lust/Parental Love where everyone is involved.

Pretty much the reason I loved Triangle and Knights Tale, no drama and the girls got a lot of time together.

I love that the dev made a game a lot of people enjoy but it's not my cup of tea.

I tried killers other game, the memory one. I did find the attempted murder stuff and the story around that guy to be a bit much for me I really enjoyed everything else.

I can't stand Niichan's game for the same reason of the "too much drama". In Niichan's games everyone has a sad (usually traumatic) backstory (aside MC from MBML who is the victim of the rage of someone with a tragic backstory, and it's not even his fault but his father's) and while i don't mind dramas(when the drama make sense and has a slow but steady pacing) in Niichan's games you're "force-feed" dramas in each chapter, basically carpet-bombing your mind with dramas without having the time to digest them.
I played MBML for a couple of updates but I couldn't get into it.

There is another but I don't know if it's same dev, where his girlfriend gets raped and disappears at the start and he later meets her twin in a house he stays at with a load of other girls.

Then it shows the girlfriend alive and well but I gave up because it kept dragging out the reunion and it stopped being interested and turned frustrating.

There is a balance that sometimes I can't find. Sometimes there is too much drama and it kills any enjoyment. Sometimes events get dragged on far too long.

Might just be a me issue though.

Demoness_Kiss

Forum Fanatic
Jun 9, 2017
1- I played MBML for a couple of updates but I couldn't get into it.

2- There is another but I don't know if it's same dev, where his girlfriend gets raped and disappears at the start and he later meets her twin in a house he stays at with a load of other girls.
Then it shows the girlfriend alive and well but I gave up because it kept dragging out the reunion and it stopped being interested and turned frustrating.

3- There is a balance that sometimes I can't find. Sometimes there is too much drama and it kills any enjoyment. Sometimes events get dragged on far too long.

4-Might just be a me issue though.
(i numbered the paragraphs so you know to which one i'm answering <3)

1- i gave up after a flashback about Emma, like the sad story of her mom dying of cancer, and learning that she was MC's first crush and promised each other the a couple...which is classic, the issue is that it's a flashback and unless it's stated in the new chapter, this flashback exists in a void, it's something only WE players get to know, until MC remembers about it in a later moment. Still it's a cheap attempt to trigger feelings, and while it worked on me(because i'm a softie, i tear up even when i think about petting puppies XD) i'm still rational enough to understand that it's a cheap attempt to tie a character to MC on a deeper level than just "the maid of the main love interest who was ordered to bully MC"

2- That's Life-changing Choices, Niichan's first game, and a prequel of My Bully is My Lover...and currently on hold...because MBML brings more money to niichan's table...i guess...i mean to me doesn't make sense to develop a sequel BEFORE a prequel...because every single information in the sequel, basically spoils the prequel stuff...or has high chances to do so

3- I rarely find it...trust me, a good balance is very rare, even in other medias, like genuine SFW comics

4- I guess it's "the two of us" issue then

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I have played My New Family but unfortunately it's one of those harem games I really don't like.

I'm not a fan of those conveyer belt harems where he goes from one girl to the next like it's a queue. I get bored of them. If i'm going to play a harem game then I need something like Sisterly Lust/Parental Love where everyone is involved.

Pretty much the reason I loved Triangle and Knights Tale, no drama and the girls got a lot of time together.

I love that the dev made a game a lot of people enjoy but it's not my cup of tea.

I tried killers other game, the memory one. I did find the attempted murder stuff and the story around that guy to be a bit much for me I really enjoyed everything else.

I played MBML for a couple of updates but I couldn't get into it.

There is another but I don't know if it's same dev, where his girlfriend gets raped and disappears at the start and he later meets her twin in a house he stays at with a load of other girls.

There is a balance that sometimes I can't find. Sometimes there is too much drama and it kills any enjoyment. Sometimes events get dragged on far too long.

Might just be a me issue though.
(i numbered the paragraphs so you know to which one i'm answering <3)

1- i gave up after a flashback about Emma, like the sad story of her mom dying of cancer, and learning that she was MC's first crush and promised each other the a couple...which is classic, the issue is that it's a flashback and unless it's stated in the new chapter, this flashback exists in a void, it's something only WE players get to know, until MC remembers about it in a later moment. Still it's a cheap attempt to trigger feelings, and while it worked on me(because i'm a softie, i tear up even when i think about petting puppies XD) i'm still rational enough to understand that it's a cheap attempt to tie a character to MC on a deeper level than just "the maid of the main love interest who was ordered to bully MC"

2- That's Life-changing Choices, Niichan's first game, and a prequel of My Bully is My Lover...and currently on hold...because MBML brings more money to niichan's table...i guess...i mean to me doesn't make sense to develop a sequel BEFORE a prequel...because every single information in the sequel, basically spoils the prequel stuff...or has high chances to do so

3- I rarely find it...trust me, a good balance is very rare, even in other medias, like genuine SFW comics

4- I guess it's "the two of us" issue then
I think what that balance is will differ from person to person, but I don't think this is unusual at all. True, there are many who just enjoy one or the other, but I'm in the same boat as you both. For me, plot and characters are more important than anything, but I find them generally equally important. So if I love characters but really struggle with constant high-tension with no relief or little-to-nothing happening really (MNF, for example), it feels like a chore to get through it. On the other hand, if I think a plot is solid but the characters are uninteresting, too detestable, etc., then I really have a hard time with the game as well (it's become the case with almost anything these days by Daniels K for me). I think it's natural to want a balance in most cases; generally people like change, as long as it's not threatening. It's why most of us go on holiday but at the same time don't live our entire lives at a resort.

Reactions: Demoness_Kiss

buff

May 29, 2017

Drama is exhausting unless the writer is willing to work hard. A lazy writer creates conflict where it doesn't belong, and you find yourself hating the characters for it and it's just exhausting.

As a counterexample to Acting Lessons: Probably my favorite thing about Out of Touch (along with the fact that the harem girls are hot and they all want to fuck each other) is that the drama is never forced. There are no fights simply because character A is needlessly withholding information from character B, when friends are at odds they just go talk it out, etc. It's really nice seeing characters in a VN act like normal fucking people.

Bloodguard

Engaged Member
Feb 20, 2021
100% This.
That's why I'm one of the few who told Leap of Faith and Acting Lessons to fuck off with that shit.
I like good writing and a compelling story but hate murder and suicide used as a plot device. Adult games should make you happy and horny, not sad and angry. :devilish:

4.30 star(s) 51 Votes