tehlemon

Jan 26, 2021
I've been giving this a go on and off over the years and there's some questions I've been meaning to ask. I don't want this post to turn into an essay, as they usually tend to, so for now I'll just ask the two big ones that come to mind whenever this game comes up.
Is it worth it to pick any profession other than Doctor, especially early on? Useful as it is, I can't help but feel like it might be a newb trap. I'd like to get out of my comfort zone and explore other professions, but worry about how I'd go about removing injuries, especially in the first few days. (other than the obvious "don't get them injured in the first place")

I mostly enjoy the portal exploration aspect and hoarding all the different hybrids/bases. Sure, I like building them up too but pay very little/no attention to genetics. I know it's possible to enjoy the game like this (because I've been doing it, I guess) but is this really the proper way? I see, and try to read, all the long university-level essays y'all make about genetics and improving them and it doesn't take me long to go cross-eyed. At the same time, I'm also wondering if I'm missing a decent chunk of the gameplay by mostly disregarding genetics and traits altogether.
tl;dr, no essay version: fuck it, play what's fun.

Long version:

I agree with everything clockwinding said except for the infirmary being hard to use. That's how I heal most of my people lol

There's a whole bunch of professions that kind of, and I mean this in the best way, let you be lazy with the game. Doctor is just one of them. It makes it easy to ignore one of the main problems you'll face. But it's not the only one that lets you be lazy in specific ways. Quester lets you rush through the tavern quests which gives you more resources than you'll probably ever need. Trainer lets you power level super hard. Entertainer makes dating easy as can be. Biologist basically removes the skill point grind, and madam might as well remove money from the game.

But like, none of those things are needed. They just make one aspect easier, but that doesn't make anything required.

And if you're willing to deal with those things, then you can start playing with the professions that really change up how the game plays.

Scientist is dope if you're trying to play with essences. SoulReaper is weird. I had a lot of fun with Mechanist. I won't even go farm focus without going with the farmer profession. Lets not talk about ascended lol

The professions, in my opinion, are fairly balanced. I don't think there's really newbie traps in there, just because you can pretty easily learn how to avoid the situations that make a profession a trap. Doctor is good for healing and injuries, which is great if you like exploring. But it would be a complete waste for someone like me to take doctor. I'm already used to playing without it, so it wouldn't do much for me. Just like madam's bonuses don't really do anything for me.

If doctor lets you do more of what you enjoy, then go for it. If you like the challenge or like to shake things up, then grab one of the others. Hell, if you want to just easy mode the game and not have to worry about mechanics, download the unlockables file from the OP and use ascended. There's not a wrong way to play.

imelman

May 15, 2018
I've been giving this a go on and off over the years and there's some questions I've been meaning to ask. I don't want this post to turn into an essay, as they usually tend to, so for now I'll just ask the two big ones that come to mind whenever this game comes up.
Is it worth it to pick any profession other than Doctor, especially early on? Useful as it is, I can't help but feel like it might be a newb trap. I'd like to get out of my comfort zone and explore other professions, but worry about how I'd go about removing injuries, especially in the first few days. (other than the obvious "don't get them injured in the first place")

I mostly enjoy the portal exploration aspect and hoarding all the different hybrids/bases. Sure, I like building them up too but pay very little/no attention to genetics. I know it's possible to enjoy the game like this (because I've been doing it, I guess) but is this really the proper way? I see, and try to read, all the long university-level essays y'all make about genetics and improving them and it doesn't take me long to go cross-eyed. At the same time, I'm also wondering if I'm missing a decent chunk of the gameplay by mostly disregarding genetics and traits altogether.
Doctor is not a bad profession per se, but it really depends on your focus; depending on a difficulty setting, it may be a good thing to take because of permadeath, but otherwise, not so much; post-battle healing is nice, the chance to not get a character injured is not bad as well, however considering you generally do not want units to be knocked out in the first place, and when you have a support that can recover health with manaspark/diluted combo, well it kind of becomes less useful in such cases.

But so are others. You can take something that makes you less weak during later stages of the game like knight/magician, something that makes your farming more productive like alchemist/farmer, fusion/essence focus with scientist, highest vision and efficient exploration with scout, and so on. Depends on what you need, really.

You can't ignore genetics at all, they are very important both for fusion, breeding, character growth, and tavern quests especially - someday the character you have can be a good way to earn what you need.

And in general, never travel in portals with less than 5 party members - you need as many as possible to topple the odds into your favor, and in case of disasters that would occur.

Reactions: ankhtar

Perdurabo

May 4, 2017
If you want to see an easily abused profession setup, play Evo, take Trainer, and make sure that you get Light Affinity and Intelligent on your starters (they don't have to have both, you just need to be able to learn them).

Adapt a spirit with each. Just to fuse them to something to pass that trait along.

Trainer + Intelligent + Light Affinity means absurd leveling speed. Want to make a powerful fire dragon? Won't take long at all.

Sadly, the Elementalist profession, while useful for unlocking all the elemental types to start, isn't as cool as it seems due to the one elite limit. Can't make a team out of the coolest of each spirit type. Well, you can, but you can't do much with it other than kill the king.

Oct 5, 2020
Sadly, the Elementalist profession, while useful for unlocking all the elemental types to start, isn't as cool as it seems due to the one elite limit. Can't make a team out of the coolest of each spirit type. Well, you can, but you can't do much with it other than kill the king.
Or arena battles. There's a thing most people seem to overlook: the character's size affects stats and growth. Enormous size is a *2 modifier (as well as 10 food cost, but hey, that's just a minor detail). Now, mostly everyone ignores them for inability to take into most portals, however they're very useful early on due to arena clearing speed. Oh, and also for the regicide, naturally.

If the food cost is too much, use floral base that has photosynthesis.

ankhtar

Jan 24, 2020
Converting units in combat/rescuing strays/tavern recruits can make do, but the fights are going to be way closer than you'd like towards end-game.
You're not wrong. Some fights, the final one in particular, usually end with only one or two of my units left standing. I just shrugged it off as the consequence of the difficulty spike towards the mid/end game (and I'm sure those happen regardless) but apparently my lack of interest in genetics and traits has been biting me in the cheeks.

And in general, never travel in portals with less than 5 party members - you need as many as possible to topple the odds into your favor, and in case of disasters that would occur.
I never do, except that one time to attempt to find the unique... centaur, I think? that just up and offers to join with 2 shadow pets if you're on your own. I don't think I actually ever use any of them, I just have a thing for hoarding all the uniques. I honestly blame pokemon for starting this trend back in the day.

I'll try other professions too. As safe (and, quite frankly, easy) as Doctor makes the early-ish game, if I'm getting that many injured on the regular, maybe I should rethink my approach to fights instead and try something new for a change.

As far as main characters go, I found the druid horribly bland when compared to the others, all the way throughout the game, to the point where I'm wondering if I'm missing something about him or his playstyle. Creation can just straight up pop absolute chads at a minor stamina cost (eventually), Evo can become the ultimate chad herself in time, but I feel like, in the middle of a battle, especially towards the late game, the druid just sort of... exists. Maybe he can somewhat tank or create terrain annoyances. Nothing about his skill trees made him particularly noteworthy in or out of the field, even when maxed out.
Though maybe that's the whole point and he's just playing out the trope of the average everyday dude in the middle of two super powered sides, I don't know.

Perdurabo

May 4, 2017
You have to make sure to level his other levels.

Unlike Evo and Crea, the druid can technically be level 60. He gets a pretty strong array of stat buffs from his level trees, including innate speed and armor and lust resistance and strength. It's not hard for him to reach a point where the starting move of a battle is him crossing most of the field to wreck someone and engage multiple others.

And then his Seedling Dragon and his minions move in to exploit that.

Top it off with Seedheal if you need to keep the seed dragon healthy, and Full Heal for your minions or self, and he can stand in the front, being an absolute PITA. Give him good armor to maximize the effect of that innate armor. If you choose Stone magic, it's another 2 armor for him. I think you can get him to something like 5 or 6 armor naked that way, and then whatever you're wearing. It gets to be a real pain to kill him.

Altruant

Feb 20, 2021
You're not wrong. Some fights, the final one in particular, usually end with only one or two of my units left standing. I just shrugged it off as the consequence of the difficulty spike towards the mid/end game (and I'm sure those happen regardless) but apparently my lack of interest in genetics and traits has been biting me in the cheeks.

I never do, except that one time to attempt to find the unique... centaur, I think? that just up and offers to join with 2 shadow pets if you're on your own. I don't think I actually ever use any of them, I just have a thing for hoarding all the uniques. I honestly blame pokemon for starting this trend back in the day.

I'll try other professions too. As safe (and, quite frankly, easy) as Doctor makes the early-ish game, if I'm getting that many injured on the regular, maybe I should rethink my approach to fights instead and try something new for a change.

As far as main characters go, I found the druid horribly bland when compared to the others, all the way throughout the game, to the point where I'm wondering if I'm missing something about him or his playstyle. Creation can just straight up pop absolute chads at a minor stamina cost (eventually), Evo can become the ultimate chad herself in time, but I feel like, in the middle of a battle, especially towards the late game, the druid just sort of... exists. Maybe he can somewhat tank or create terrain annoyances. Nothing about his skill trees made him particularly noteworthy in or out of the field, even when maxed out.
Though maybe that's the whole point and he's just playing out the trope of the average everyday dude in the middle of two super powered sides, I don't know.
Druid is like Creation except his Seedlings can become absolute unit sooner than she could. Take his Dexterity tree for the Adapt skill to let him adapt 6 or 7 traits to his Seedlings (strong, intelligent, wild, potential, etc). Take his Strength skill tree to let his Seedlings reform themselves every time they hit max level and increase their max level by + 4 (a level 6 Seedlings become a level 1 with potential to level up back to 10, level 10 become 14, 14 become 18 etc).

Seedlings can evolve when they hit max level you know.

Also you can abuse the fact that he can spawn infinite seedlings to fuse them together for a bigger Chad.

imelman

May 15, 2018

Seedlings are like spirits, but harder to reach their caps on overworld map due to lack of reshaping. And not getting genes when they do "reshape". And if you are non-druid, you can't make full use of them due to fact you lack skills that specifically target seedlings, and the fact that fully evolved ones compete with other elites that can suit better due to lack of character's synergy.

Oh, and druid isn't the only character who can summon them; the creator can summon them at level 15 base, once the perk in skilltree is unlocked. Again, you won't synergize much in that case, and still suffers the fact you can't reshape on overworld map, but that helps a lot when leveling.

Actually I'm on a fence for druid whenever the seedling dragon is better than another grass based elite, grass steed, which has better overall growth and skills, not to mention having more synergy when it comes to grass generation with its passive, that allows you to blink to grass surfaces more reliably, while being a tough body that can heal if needed. Sure, its not a seedling, or a flying mount, yet it offers a lot of capable power and makes water battles clearly in your favor.

Again, druid isn't weak - but not the strongest, which the late-game will show. 2nd strongest, yet also the most consistent when it comes to power growth compared to others, who rely on getting high max genetic level characters to become powerful. And that's the good thing, allows to save stamina for more important tasks, yet when it comes to seduction/recruitment, and anything sex related, he's clearly on bottom end of a spectrum. So you have to bring units that help with those. Not my favorite, but fairly solid, not a bad choice, but not the best one either.

ankhtar

Jan 24, 2020
Oof, well, guess it's time to restart again. I mostly build him in a way that makes only himself able to survive, completely disregarding the seedling related skills until much later on. I've probably been playing him in hard mode.
Rather than rethinking my approach to battles, maybe I should rethink my approach to the entire game instead... starting with actually reading what his skills do.

• Haha
Reactions: clockwinding

fogginstance

Apr 11, 2019
Doctor is a noob trap. You can get a unique called Meira if you visit the doctor 5 times, and the doctor is always in town for the first few days of a playthrough. Meira can heal injuries for free after you hire her, which you can do on day 1 if you summon a spirit or whatever and intentionally lose 5 training battles. You can't get Meira at all if you pick Doctor.

Meira also produces Healing Silk, which is probably the single most useful crafting ingredient. Magic Bandages, an item that can heal any injury. Healing Nets are superior nets and worth a ridiculous $800, meaning Meira can pay for herself. Healing Robes are one of the best armor options for mages. Rune Amulets and Ghost Wings, likewise, are fantastic accessories that require healing silk. And Stability Potions are just awesome.

Evolution with Biologist and fire affinity is probably the noob-friendiest combination you can get. Biologist doubles the skill points you get from rituals and such, which makes any mistakes you make in spec'ing her a LOT easier to smooth over. Fire affinity has probably the best stat boost among affinities and lets you make fire dragons, which (imo) are just as good as seedling dragons.

mariopizza

Dec 26, 2020
anyone know how to obtain the "god form" species?
I just keep fuzing different hybrid together but can't find this one, I heard it was the strongest species so I would really love the receipe

Oct 5, 2020
anyone know how to obtain the "god form" species?
I just keep fuzing different hybrid together but can't find this one, I heard it was the strongest species so I would really love the receipe
It is not a species, but a special form for Evolution. You need to unlock all special forms (strength, speed, lust, support, magic) to get God Form.

Reactions: Yukihirou

るlaze

Jun 21, 2020
Anyone figure out how the genetic value, growth modifier and lvl type interact with each other?

The first one I calculated seems to be:
Each genetic value equals 0.1 growth modifier. Add those together and times the respective lvl type value, you will get the percentage that will be added to the stat increase progress.

But I couldn't replicate the same result. I was trying to calculate how much stat increase the 'Potential' trait actually boost, but I got a mix result. Where Ldmg progress is increase by a third of the progress that would be gained without the trait, however, HP and mana seems to be not. Where in HP, not only did I not get the boost, I lost like 2% from the supposedly 102% I should have gotten per level.

Confuse, I pick another character without the trait and feed it exp potion to check if I have the formula correctly.(unbeknownst to me at that time, is one I hatched from a room with 'Potential' upgrade). But I gained sometimes an extra lvl worth of stat progress or sometimes less.

I then noticed that this particular character is hatched from the upgraded to room, so i did the same process with one with no 'Potential' trait and not hatched from an upgraded room. Still, I got inconsistent result.

Please help. It's bugging me.

clockwinding

Nov 10, 2019
Anyone figure out how the genetic value, growth modifier and lvl type interact with each other?

Each genetic value equals 0.1 growth modifier. Add those together and times the respective lvl type value, you will get the percentage that will be added to the stat increase progress.

But I couldn't replicate the same result. I was trying to calculate how much stat increase the 'Potential' trait actually boost, but I got a mix result. Where Ldmg progress is increase by a third of the progress that would be gained without the trait, however, HP and mana seems to be not. Where in HP, not only did I not get the boost, I lost like 2% from the supposedly 102% I should have gotten per level.

Confuse, I pick another character without the trait and feed it exp potion to check if I have the formula correctly.(unbeknownst to me at that time, is one I hatched from a room with 'Potential' upgrade). But I gained sometimes an extra lvl worth of stat progress or sometimes less.

I then noticed that this particular character is hatched from the upgraded to room, so i did the same process with one with no 'Potential' trait and not hatched from an upgraded room. Still, I got inconsistent result.

You could hop on the discord server and ask, there's an excel file that's a precise calculator available.

but the tldr is: ((leveltype base value*(1+gene/10))*(species growth modifier))*size*potential
potential is a *1.2 final modifier, and there are still another couple factors possible iirc, but that's the basics.

Reactions: るlaze

Settum

Jan 10, 2019
I am baffled by the inclusion of multiple similar growth modifiers, but some modifying base stats while others add on top of it (brackets). I understand that with Equipment, but couldn't the Ancient sth trait be included? Or was it intentionally intended to be an "add later" type of trait so players would disregard the 1/5 xp gain penalty on it?

imelman

May 15, 2018
I am baffled by the inclusion of multiple similar growth modifiers, but some modifying base stats while others add on top of it (brackets). I understand that with Equipment, but couldn't the Ancient sth trait be included? Or was it intentionally intended to be an "add later" type of trait so players would disregard the 1/5 xp gain penalty on it?
That trait is an bonus, as in, non-base modifier, which increases not stat based growth, but a final percentage of the stats - and said all-stat boosting traits are fairly rare and powerful, but this one is with drawback that makes it more useful in very specific cases. Like stacking intelligent and light affinity, and trainer profession to mostly negate the penalty, but generally you end up simply adapting it to bypass that restriction, but there's also other traits that can end up taking its slot...And there's a lot of competitor traits, especially if the character in question is not an all-rounder to take the most from it. However, for tavern quests that require base stats, it does count, and so other traits that boost stats. Excluding ones that focus around fertility/virility, they still need the proper base value before you can complete them.

Each point in genes is 10% of its base growth, first multiplied by level type, then the species growth, like a 2.0 health growth with average level type: each time they level up they gain 2 health, and if they have 10 health genes, then they would gain 4 each level instead. Or in case of strength at 2.0, with same level type, they would gain 1 strength per 2 levels, but at 10 strength genes they would gain 1 per level. Base growth increasing boosts such as traits like strong and so on, essences, potential upgrade in hatchery goes first, then genes multiplying them, then final modifiers like potential, loyal from familiar trait and unmentioned others.

Reactions: るlaze

るlaze

Jun 21, 2020
Thank you to the both of you. I can finally rest in peace.
I never thought of adapting ancientpower after leveling up. I guess it's easier to do with evo? I am playing crea currently and she can only adapt slime once or her own summoned characters. So seems like only after corrupting them I can do this trick.
Cool thing, I found out though is if you corrupt a character with Maxlvl gene and growing trait at it's max level, you can get a slime base monster girl with 25 Maxlvl in gene. Sadly, with breeding, Maxlvl still couldn't exceed lvl20. I was thinking this is how I can get the lvl 30 achievement or something. So sad.

fogginstance

Apr 11, 2019
there's a somewhat rare legendary essence that lets you raise max level in exchange for 50 stamina. aside from that, there's a game rule that removes most limits.

Settum

Jan 10, 2019
There's also monsters/girls you can recruit,... like from Avy's story that are WAY higher level... and Guardians and other species that have special abilities to raise their level.

clockwinding

Nov 10, 2019
Thank you to the both of you. I can finally rest in peace.
I never thought of adapting ancientpower after leveling up. I guess it's easier to do with evo? I am playing crea currently and she can only adapt slime once or her own summoned characters. So seems like only after corrupting them I can do this trick.
Cool thing, I found out though is if you corrupt a character with Maxlvl gene and growing trait at it's max level, you can get a slime base monster girl with 25 Maxlvl in gene. Sadly, with breeding, Maxlvl still couldn't exceed lvl20. I was thinking this is how I can get the lvl 30 achievement or something. So sad.
the lvl 30 achievement is done by getting a firespirit to lvl 20, then following the dragon line of evolution... adult dragons get +10 max level when they evolve :)

4.10 star(s) 79 Votes