• Search is back up, but the index is being rebuilt, there may still be some minor problems until this is complete.

W65

May 31, 2018
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Some big changes here.

Also, I am convinced that the dev reads this forum, 'cause a few posts ago was a complaint about losing stuff when fleeing and the weight of resources. Don't remember if I've seen them post or not.

Also also, I don't know who to ping to update the thread title and whatever. 7.4 was out in September.

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
Also, I am convinced that the dev reads this forum, 'cause a few posts ago was a complaint about losing stuff when fleeing and the weight of resources. Don't remember if I've seen them post or not.
I don't recall the dev ever posting in this thread, and I think that he (or she) doesn't read this thread. Why? I find it very hard to believe that a game dev would just lurk in a thread that discusses their game, especially when players post things that are highly critical. It would take an incredible amount of willpower to remain silent. The fact that some of the issues that have been mentioned recently have been addressed is more easily explained by patrons reading this thread and reporting things to him. For example, several versions ago I brought up a few things that I thought should be tweaked in the game and in the very next version those issues were addressed.

I really like a lot of the changes that were made in this newest version. But until the game stabilizes and we get some assurance that our saves won't continue to be invalidated, I'll keep this game on the shelf.

Boss Sappho

Aug 2, 2017
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Some big changes here.

Also also, I don't know who to ping to update the thread title and whatever. 7.4 was out in September.
If the dev is lurking can I just say what a stupid idea adding the male PC was people always complain and tell futa lovers to go make their own game then one does and they come in and bitch that there is male character. Just remove the prince/druid option it adds nothing.

Reactions: Gigalomaniac

RedPillBlues

I Want to Rock your Body (To the Break of Dawn)
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
If the dev is lurking can I just say what a stupid idea adding the male PC was people always complain and tell futa lovers to go make their own game then one does and they come in and bitch that there is male character. Just remove the prince/druid option it adds nothing.
Do you hear yourself? You ask for them to remove a option because it "adds nothing" whilst literally right before that saying what it adds, aka an option for people who don't like futas on futas. Also if the dev really wants to start expanding this is probably the best way he could.

ActionMask

Jul 6, 2018
Hello, I'm new to this community.
It's a nice game and all. I just don't get it how to start breeding and fights are really hard to get into.
I think a tutorial is neccessary.
Am I able to breed with the starters ?
What is lust for in fights?
Actually I would like to explore the game by myself, but it's really hard.
Although I'm not a native speaker, I've never had problems like this
Well I don't really think it is a language problem here.

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
Hello, I'm new to this community.
It's a nice game and all. I just don't get it how to start breeding and fights are really hard to get into.
I think a tutorial is neccessary.
Am I able to breed with the starters ?
What is lust for in fights?
Actually I would like to explore the game by myself, but it's really hard.
Although I'm not a native speaker, I've never had problems like this
Well I don't really think it is a language problem here.
Begin with reading this entire thread (all 20 pages). Then Google "Portals of Phereon" and read what (little) is available. There's a (crappy) wiki and I think some Reddit posts too. The game also has some help in it, available from one of the buttons in the library location.

If you still have questions after doing your homework then come back and ask.

Lust is an alternative form of attack. When a target is at half or more of their lust capacity they take double damage from physical attacks. When they reach their maximum they can no longer do anything at all. The only way to fix this is for the character to either masturbate or for someone else to fuck them. (Centaurs cannot masturbate, so be prepared to help them.)

You can breed your starters assuming that one has a pussy and the other has a dick. Futa have both.

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
Anyone knows how to fix this?
Short, serious answer: no.
Longer, even less useful answer: wait for the developer to stabilize the game. This may take a year or longer, given how much he mucks with the game design with every version.

It wouldn't be so bad if the data structures were stable for 3-4 months. That would allow you to start and finish a game, even with newer versions coming out, before you'd have to start over due to an incompatibility in the data structures. But having saves invalidated with every version is simply bullshit. No other game on F95 does this. The developer needs to plan better. I know that he's trying to improve the game and be responsive to his patrons, but his process for doing so is intolerable. [/rant]

foreg

Oct 8, 2017
Short, serious answer: no.
Longer, even less useful answer: wait for the developer to stabilize the game. This may take a year or longer, given how much he mucks with the game design with every version.

It wouldn't be so bad if the data structures were stable for 3-4 months. That would allow you to start and finish a game, even with newer versions coming out, before you'd have to start over due to an incompatibility in the data structures. But having saves invalidated with every version is simply bullshit. No other game on F95 does this. The developer needs to plan better. I know that he's trying to improve the game and be responsive to his patrons, but his process for doing so is intolerable. [/rant]
I agree it's quite annoying, but as a dev who worked a bit with Unity I feel that I need to defend the creator a bit. First most of the games on f95 are now rpgMaker game or kind of visual novels. For those the engine usually provide a save system so it's much easier for the devs to make it right even across version. In Unity you most likely have to cook something yourself. Secondly, this game is more complex that 95% (rough estimate) of the games stored on f95 in terms of mechanics, the saves need to contain a ton of little details about all the randomly generated thing this game contain.

For PoP, not maintaining the backward compatibility of the save is paradoxically both more excusable, for the reason given above, and harder to excuse because of the game design.

Probably that the only solution would be for the dev to reduce the amount of feature he add in the game with each release and spend more time building durable code but I'm not sure the fans would like it more.

Reactions: Abibliboop

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
While I understand your points, being a software dev myself with roughly 40 years of experience (I started coding for NASA in 1976), I think that a great deal of the problem could be remedied with better planning and a better design of data structures to allow for extension without breaking saves. A check when the game loads a file to check the version of the save and then an in-game conversion of the old data structure to the newest one. This is how professional apps (such as MS Word/Excel, etc.) do it, and most games by the big name dev houses (such as Bioware, Bethesda, etc.)

To be fair, I've not yet done anything with Unity, but shouldn't it be possible?

Reactions: Abibliboop

W65

May 31, 2018
My amateur-programmer-with-no-software-design-experience guess is that his reason for stating that saves aren't compatible between versions is that it makes for a nice excuse not to have to handle support questions from people whose saves break between versions. Forcing everyone to start a new game totally eliminates his need to bother with a whole class of problems. He could be losing users with that decision, being that it's a pain in the ass, but it probably makes his own life a lot simpler. It's a little unlikely as a reason, though, since he could always tell folks whose saves were to break just to start a new game.

Possibly he's using a savegame package from the Unity store the details of which he's unwilling to change, but that itself handles the save details badly enough that it can't work across versions. Feels like kind of a stretch to say that, though.

No Unity experience here, so it's just a stab in the dark.

lurker_01

Jun 18, 2018
You can contact the developer on discord if you want to get community help or discuss the game mechanics (is on the front page of the patreon)

But having saves invalidated with every version is simply bullshit
I honestly haven't seen any Unity game that doesnt have some kind of problem, in RPG Maker for example, the save, saves the variable date and the current room so the dev may continue the story development (dev only need to create an empty room and if you saved on bad spot (i.e. not that empty room)... good bye your version compatibility because you cant progress any further because you saved on a critical room that the dev has updated), in this case as with the rework of the Brothel would require data manipulation of the save and don't forget that you probably should have compatibility from build 1 to today with all the reworks (i.e. keeping all the old data structures and references so they could be loaded and then apply the update routine for every version or in the incremental form).

Would it better to have the save compatibility? Yes.
Do i think the developer should spend extra time for this? Maybe, but you can always cheat and be supergod with free in game cheats if you really don't want to play and want to hunt for new content only.

In any case bug fix versions are save compatible unless told otherwise.

Jinsem

Jul 31, 2017
Can someone tell me how to unlock special forms such as strength form, godly form, the forms below the human form not the hybrids you get from the base monsters.
Thank you.

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
Can someone tell me how to unlock special forms such as strength form, godly form, the forms below the human form not the hybrids you get from the base monsters.
Thank you.
Strength: have 4+ strength genes, 4+ HP genes, SoldierBug form 6+ (LizardGirl/InsectGirl), DragonGirl form 6+ (Harpy/LizardGirl)
Magic Support: have 4+ mana genes, Fairy form 8 (Lymean/PlantGirl), Angel 6+ form (Lymean/Harpy)
Magic Damage: have 4+ magic genes, Seer form 10+ (LavaGirl/Lymean)
Lust: have 4+ lust genes, Naga form 8+ (LizardGirl/Mermaid), CowGirl form 6+ (Centaur/Succubus)
Speed: Harpy form 7, Mermaid form 7, Centaur form 7
God: unlock ALL of the above special forms.

Note that if a number does NOT have a "+" after it you must have that level exactly for the option button to trigger.

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
That sounds like a bug to me. Level up too high and you cut yourself off?
I've never risked testing to see if you can exceed the numbers. This is what was posted by someone somewhere and I wrote in my notes. Let me know if you discover my notes are wrong.

EDIT: Given how many bugs this game has had in the past, it wouldn't surprise me. And it wouldn't surprise me if it's been fixed ... or the numbers have changed.

lurker_01

Jun 18, 2018
The numbers weren't changed but you could have easily checked it just by mouse overing the options and that shows you a tool tip with the requirements.
I just tested (5 minutes with cheats) if you can over-level and i could select the form even with higher leveled form so this is a display issue.
Few bugs right now and the critical ones are addressed on hot fixes.

PariahLies

Dec 21, 2018
I doubt this comment will go anywhere but a game mode where the king and prince doesn't exist would be just dandy, the quests are "optional" then after all. Could be accomplished by giving an option in freeplay to not include them. Removing creation/evolution from the game defeats the entire point of the plot and the reason you have your powers so I have next to gripes on that.

I do however have a slight problem with how quickly creation spreads her hives and slime across the map when you're evolution. It's only been a day lady, chill it. No need to cover the entire map in slime. At least I've got a way to get a team that excels at dealing with anything and everything so clearing the map takes about as long as she takes to take it over, which leads to an overall negative growth due to her whole +1/per hive, -2/per destroyed thing. Unfortunately this leads to next to no time to deal with said above king's quests and the breeding aspect of the game until I've whittled her back down to single digits.

Don't even get me started on only being able to get 1 plant farm. Almost all other upgrades are repeatable to an extent so it should be too. Unless it upgrades itself as you find rare plants in which case I'm the doof. I honestly don't know how you can get to an extensive plethora of people to manage with how much each of them costs you per day. If the event portal with 1437 wealth didn't appear I'd likely have gone bankrupt a long time ago.

Some contextual images along with a description of what happened in the brothel when you used their services would go a long way with a lot of people as well, I'd reckon. But honestly that's just a personal desire. At least it gives you some idea when you unlock some form due to apparently having sex with a person having that form.

It would also be really awesome if the portraits of the characters changed in the sex window as you go along like your character's portrait does in the brothel's "put on a show" event but I know that will never happen so for now and likely forever I'll stick with my imagination on this one.

4.10 star(s) 79 Votes