tehlemon

Jan 26, 2021
Question: does the game include a tutorial? and if not is there a tutorial online i can look at? cause this game looks complicated AF and that kinda intimidates me.
Yeah, the game can be a bit brutal until you start to figure it out, both in terms of difficulty and systems to learn. There's two things I'd recommend:

First, for your first couple play throughs, use at least medium game length. The short games are way too short to really learn how the game systems work, and they're just generally harder IMO. But I'd avoid the freeplay mode, since you won't be able to unlock anything.

And then second, understand that starting over and playing again is part of the game. You're probably going to lose a bunch of times. And even if you win, you'll want to start over anyways to unlock stuff. It's got that roguelite element where each run you can unlock new stuff for the next game.

And then feel free to ask questions. I think there's like 8 pages of me asking how mechanics work or for strategy advice before I figured out how to win lol

Tsugumi

Oct 16, 2018
I'd avoid the freeplay mode, since you won't be able to unlock anything.
The word "anything" does not belong there: most unlocks - Godform or traits unlocked via breeding, for example - are available in Freeplay, provided you retain the difficulty modifier of 100% or higher. Only those connected to beating the game are unavailable since the story event portals never spawn.

tehlemon

Jan 26, 2021
The word "anything" does not belong there: most unlocks - Godform or traits unlocked via breeding, for example - are available in Freeplay, provided you retain the difficulty modifier of 100% or higher. Only those connected to beating the game are unavailable since the story event portals never spawn.
Are you sure? When I was starting out, none of those unlocks from my first freeplay game were saved. It wasn't until I played on the longest non-freeplay length that unlocks started sticking for me. Including all the species and breeding unlocks. All the challenge/achievement unlocks were marked as unavailable as well.

It might have just been me, but I figured that was intentional. The difficulty is color-coded as though unlocks are disabled, so I figured everything was disabled and that explained what I was seeing.

Altruant

Feb 20, 2021
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
So I figure out how to gain Empowered as a Druid, apparently, when Creation as a rival's power increase to certain level, she gained Empowered, and when Druid recruit her, she would have Empowered with it. This Kitsune doesn't have any Favor used on her, so this is probably the strongest a Kitsune can get in vanilla.

For funsy, this is the Rival Creation that I recruited, with the traits added by me

tehlemon

Jan 26, 2021
So I figure out how to gain Empowered as a Druid, apparently, when Creation as a rival's power increase to certain level, she gained Empowered, and when Druid recruit her, she would have Empowered with it. This Kitsune doesn't have any Favor used on her, so this is probably the strongest a Kitsune can get in vanilla.

For funsy, this is the Rival Creation that I recruited, with the traits added by me
Neat

I don't actually know what the God or Empowered traits are or how to get them normally lol

I think I've gotten empowered before playing evo, but I don't know where or how. And I deleted all my previous saves, so I cant check... No idea about the god trait.

That's pretty much what my kitsune looks like, minus those two traits. I also have two kitsune where I added manaspark. I used them for map clearing after getting sick of running out of mana.

clockwinding

Nov 10, 2019
Neat

I don't actually know what the God or Empowered traits are or how to get them normally lol

I think I've gotten empowered before playing evo, but I don't know where or how. And I deleted all my previous saves, so I cant check... No idea about the god trait.

That's pretty much what my kitsune looks like, minus those two traits. I also have two kitsune where I added manaspark. I used them for map clearing after getting sick of running out of mana.
Empowered = play Nila/Siena, in the ruins portal when you can choose between "create life/artifact/absorb power", choose to absorb the power.
God = win final mission and decice what to do with the power in your hands.

About the kitsunes, in my experience you're gonna run out of energy way before you run out of mana >.>

tehlemon

Jan 26, 2021
Empowered = play Nila/Siena, in the ruins portal when you can choose between "create life/artifact/absorb power", choose to absorb the power.
God = win final mission and decice what to do with the power in your hands.

About the kitsunes, in my experience you're gonna run out of energy way before you run out of mana >.>
Ahha, yeah okay. That all makes sense. I've been rushing down challenges and unlocks, so I haven't actually stuck past the final mission. And for most of the runs I go into the portal to unlock the unique NPC, then I just leave. I never actually do any portals until like, two months in, so I haven't gotten either of those in awhile lol

I need to do another 'for fun' run, just to try and do stuff like that level of min/maxing

Ippondatara

Sep 2, 2020
oh well now i feel dumb
I don't think you need to - it's not as though the game itself tells you this. You have to collect the crystals first and then notice that your Crystal Fragments count has gone up. For my first 10-20 playthroughs I assumed that it just gave you regular crystals, which are totally different.

clockwinding

Nov 10, 2019
I don't think you need to - it's not as though the game itself tells you this. You have to collect the crystals first and then notice that your Crystal Fragments count has gone up. For my first 10-20 playthroughs I assumed that it just gave you regular crystals, which are totally different.
Well, it gives both. Also in the log you can see "you harvested X crystals and a crystal fragment", but yeah the game doesn't hold your hand and you really need to keep your eyes peeled most of the time.

When you enter a portal, there's a special line when bosses have spawned "you feel the presence of X giant/magical power/spores etc...", and a special line for crystals that have spawned "you feel the presence of X new crystals since your last visit".
Both are calculated anew each day, but spending 48h in a portal is useless, you have to get out/back in to refresh it if you change days during your expedition.

Sheepy Cloud

Apr 22, 2020
2 questions.

1: What does the Unlockables Save do?
(Besides the obvious, being a save.)

2: What are Divine Favors?
(I noticed it in the v0.15.0.1 changelog, but have never heard of it before.)

tehlemon

Jan 26, 2021
2 questions.

1: What does the Unlockables Save do?

2: What are Divine Favors?
(I noticed it in the v0.15.0.1 changelog, but have never heard of it before.)
The unlockables save tracks all of your unlocks. So if you unlocks starting traits/species/jobs and whatnot like gallery entries, they're kept track of through the unlockables save file. So it stores everything that needs to be tracked seperate from your actual game saves.

Divine favors, I think, is referring to something you get by unlocking and starting a save using the ascended job (beat all 10 challenge levels). Basically every day you get a divine favor point, and you can spend one or two of them to do pretty game breaking stuff. I honestly think of it as the god mode job you get for beating the hardest challenge level. It makes other unlocks really easy lol

Reactions: Sheepy Cloud

clockwinding

Nov 10, 2019
What are Divine Favors?
Divine favors, I think, is referring to something you get by unlocking and starting a save using the ascended job (beat all 10 challenge levels). Basically every day you get a divine favor point, and you can spend one or two of them to do pretty game breaking stuff. I honestly think of it as the god mode job you get for beating the hardest challenge level. It makes other unlocks really easy lol
You don't need to beat challenge 10 to unlock divine favours (even though it's the best way), just win (not submit, i think, you have to beat the overseer) the alternate ending with Terranva once to unlock the "knowing" starter trait, that will grant you 3 divine favour on game start to do what you want.

tehlemon

Jan 26, 2021
You don't need to beat challenge 10 to unlock divine favours (even though it's the best way), just win (not submit, i think, you have to beat the overseer) the alternate ending with Terranva once to unlock the "knowing" starter trait, that will grant you 3 divine favour on game start to do what you want.
Shit, didn't know about that one. I haven't beat the alt-endings yet. They're next on my list of unlocks to go for.

Tsugumi

Oct 16, 2018
What does the Unlockables Save do?
Think of them as typical "achievements":

1. They are milestones with rewards attached to them;
2. Rewards are buffs you can use to make things easier in the future;

Thing is: mid-playthrough gamesaves are incompatible between versions, they only work with the game version they were created by. With every update you need to start a new playthrough. The rest was already explained: the Unlockables file keeps records of "rewards you already unlocked", it is the only way to carry that progress over to a newer game version. Which is the only type of progress you can carry over.

Summary: the file holds the only progress you can carry over to a newer game version, otherwise you start from scratch with every "0.0.0.1 to 0.0.0.2" update. That is all.

Muji-k

Mar 1, 2018
also there are many events inside portals where you can buy or trade other resources for crystals

4.10 star(s) 79 Votes