Gripping

Jan 8, 2020
Yeah I also missed some shit about fact Sterling was abused impacting the game later on. It almost seems nothing happened to make him leave for years in first place and at least Ophelia more or less supported the dad in that in the end, cause she loved him. A bit more edginess of Sterling on that would have been nice and a motivation why he does not want to lose them again, whatever he has to do.

Especially Catherine and to a bit lesser extent Brenna get a pass for being kids as well, when all that happened. Ophelia did fail her son though, by siding with the dad, leading Sterling to have to leave for his own safety and I do hope Sterling will play that card if she gets to dommy and it is in a way a pity he never did play that card or at least dealt with some of the anger or at least showed it to her that he has to feel over what happened, even if he does not wish to admit to him feeling it since she is his mom.
Yea it's just seems at times that Sterling is only their to go with the flow and that's it which is fine because this game is a comedic fuckfest with hints of romance but it would be nice to see a different side of Sterling here and there. We haven't even gotten into Sterling's trauma really. It was win over Brenna and that was really it. Some people are going to say he's fucking everyone in the house plus friends but any mature person knows that isn't healing and I would personally say their using him subconsciously whether they(LIs) recognize it or not. It's always Sterling doing something for someone and the gift is pussy.

That's why I posted earlier about showing a little anger or being mad because it is literally Sterling's backstory and you're going to have to get into it at some point and I don't see how you get into it without making the other characters realize somethings off with Sterling without him showing some emotion.

Reactions: haooni and DA22

SuddenReal

Jun 21, 2017
Yeah I also missed some shit about fact Sterling was abused impacting the game later on. It almost seems nothing happened to make him leave for years in first place and at least Ophelia more or less supported the dad in that in the end, cause she loved him.
Abuse comes in many forms. In this case, it's obviously not physical abuse, but mental. If you grow up under mental abuse, you, well, accept it because you don't know any better. The only defense mechanism you develop at a young age is keeping your head down, since you don't want to attract attention to yourself. It's only later in puberty when you can compare to others that you realise something's wrong (which is when Sterling decided to run away). But by then, you can't even get fully angry (since that attracts attention and you're conditioned to lay low), so that expresses in passive-agressive, which Sterling uses.

As for the rest of the family, the problem with mental abuse is that it's hard to detect, since it leaves no physical evidence. They just could have interpreted as favouritism or the double standard for raising boys. Remember his sisters were also just kids at that time, while Ophelia also grew up in a dubious situation. Her father also pampered his daughters while being strict (and even giving up) on his son, so she might not have noticed any red flags. It's not like she supported her husband, more that she didn't know any better.

Okay, all that hit a bit too close to home for me (grew up with an uncaring, narcisistic mother) and is getting way too serious for a comedy game. Can someone bring the funny back, please?

Reactions: DA22 and Gripping

Gripping

Jan 8, 2020
Abuse comes in many forms. In this case, it's obviously not physical abuse, but mental. If you grow up under mental abuse, you, well, accept it because you don't know any better. The only defense mechanism you develop at a young age is keeping your head down, since you don't want to attract attention to yourself. It's only later in puberty when you can compare to others that you realise something's wrong (which is when Sterling decided to run away). But by then, you can't even get fully angry (since that attracts attention and you're conditioned to lay low), so that expresses in passive-agressive, which Sterling uses.

As for the rest of the family, the problem with mental abuse is that it's hard to detect, since it leaves no physical evidence. They just could have interpreted as favouritism or the double standard for raising boys. Remember his sisters were also just kids at that time, while Ophelia also grew up in a dubious situation. Her father also pampered his daughters while being strict (and even giving up) on his son, so she might not have noticed any red flags. It's not like she supported her husband, more that she didn't know any better.

Okay, all that hit a bit too close to home for me (grew up with an uncaring, narcisistic mother) and is getting way too serious for a comedy game. Can someone bring the funny back, please?
Yea that's why I don't care as much because this is mostly a comedy game but the recent developments of Brenna's and Ophelia's relationship with Sterling is making me think Why Not is going to start delving into the more serious side of the story, but I think the funny is the thing will get no matter what :D

Reactions: DA22

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018

Yeah but that anger is still there even if you hide it even for yourself out of displaced loyalty feelings, been there s well, by the way Ophelia was aware what she was doing and choosing the dad over the son, it is mentioned by her in the talks they have at night when she is depressed. I get it may not be a main focus, even though it stays a bit weird no one in rest family even noticed it was a bit more when Sterling ran away for 4 years (He would have been a perfect victim for Hunter likely in that state to corrupt him, another failure old man :p). Still it was clearly setup as his background and repeated in those night talks, but only impact it seems to had Brenna was angry at Sterling at start game like it was his fault ........

Reactions: Gripping

PBS666

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2019
Can someone post the What if Vol. 3 Mac version? if there is one?
You got What if 1 or 2 for Mac? Then do this:
Download What if 3 for pc and unzip.
Open up the What if 1 or 2 package (right click, open package contents) and navigate to /Contents/Resourses/autorun. Replace the game folder that's there with the game folder from What if 3 for PC.
You got a Mac version now.
Note: if you want to keep the previous What if, make a duplicate of it first.

Reactions: TGafy

SuddenReal

Jun 21, 2017
Still it was clearly setup as his background and repeated in those night talks, but only impact it seems to had Brenna was angry at Sterling at start game like it was his fault ........
Catherin was also affected, since (I believe) that's when she started with tucking in Brenna, to make sure she wouldn't run away either. As for Brenna, she didn't understand the situation, so when the choice comes between two reliable people, you'll put the blame with the absent one since they did something "out of character". In her mind, Sterling was the bad one, since he abandonned them.

TheGreySun

Feb 17, 2021
so I played the latest chapter like a month ago but somehow I didn't put together until now that, 1.Aya(?) brenna's friend is most likely preggo now(because of the she has "food poisoning" line) and 2. Cat def lied about the IUD right?, like all she did was drop a booklet you could order on amazon and sterling was like "I see no possible way this could be a lie or backfire in any way, lets have unprotected sex" even though Cat really wants that baby, so we're def going to find out she's preggo in 1 to 3 updates from now right?, I respect how hard sterling tries not to cross the baby line with her but, 3. at least one of the drugs hunter uses on the girls food and drinks is def stopping things like birth control from working anyway given how often they end up preggo in his endings right? lol

dartred

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Aug 30, 2017
so I played the latest chapter like a month ago but somehow I didn't put together until now that, 1.Aya(?) brenna's friend is most likely preggo now(because of the she has "food poisoning" line) and 2. Cat def lied about the IUD right?, like all she did was drop a booklet you could order on amazon and sterling was like "I see no possible way this could be a lie or backfire in any way, lets have unprotected sex" even though Cat really wants that baby, so we're def going to find out she's preggo in 1 to 3 updates from now right?, I respect how hard sterling tries not to cross the baby line with her but, 3. at least one of the drugs hunter uses on the girls food and drinks is def stopping things like birth control from working anyway given how often they end up preggo in his endings right? lol
I like your way of thinking. Also, Eva.

I was talking about the IUD with another guy and we were talking about Cath possibly lying about using one just to get some Sterling dick again.

Eva, yeah, it's a possibility.

Who knows what happens in time skips. Hunter could just have gotten them to stop using contraception in time skips.

TheGreySun

Feb 17, 2021
I like your way of thinking. Also, Eva.

I was talking about the IUD with another guy and we were talking about Cath possibly lying about using one just to get some Sterling dick again.

Eva, yeah, it's a possibility.

Who knows what happens in time skips. Hunter could just have gotten them to stop using contraception in time skips.
true about the time skips, but I beleave hunter once told a girl to get pregnant from his shot when he came in the ending so I assume he just planned ahead for his victory and disabled the birth control ahead of time, seems like a hunter thing to do given he made his own daughter lactate so he could drink it(even if it was a side effect), I was pointing this out because with girls getting preggo now it feels like we're getting close to the end...maybe like 6 more chapters ending on 15 probably with a time skip at the end of 13, or the beginning of 14, So you have the final showdown in 12-13 and then 13-15 are like a slow build to the happy harem end, because with the girls starting to getting pregnant I feel like it's a natrual beginning to the end you know?

Reactions: Gripping

dartred

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Aug 30, 2017
Oh yeah, i remember that. In chapter 7 bad end. Long after Brenna started taking pills. Hunter tells her to get pregnant.

4.20 star(s) 369 Votes