Valaska

[PFF: Avarice Dev]
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Think this might be a bug, same thing happened to me. Maybe the full unlock code can fix this?(if anyone knows what it is, feel free to share) On an unrelated note, anyone know how to find all of the collectibles? So far I have found 3 from the first dungeon, are all of them found on dead bodies in it?
The collectibles are an error(-ish) on our part. They are out of order in the list in the first place but beyond that... there are only 3 to be had right now and the rest are placeholder slots for the future.

Reactions: James Eveleth

Ghostly Hale

Jan 26, 2018
are we getting an option for character setup at main screen? i'm cool with a male only design but can we get some options?

James Eveleth

Mar 22, 2018
The collectibles are an error(-ish) on our part. They are out of order in the list in the first place but beyond that... there are only 3 to be had right now and the rest are placeholder slots for the future.
Thanks for the reply! The new build played pretty well, barring some skeleton trouble. As a whole the story is intriguing, the characters have distinct personalities and the walls of text that might scare some players off are fun to read. It's good to know that you plan to actually finish Price for Freedom in due time and not have it stay in development limbo for all eternity thanks to scope creep.

I'm also guessing you have a marketing genius on your team:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Thanks for the reply! The new build played pretty well, barring some skeleton trouble. As a whole the story is intriguing, the characters have distinct personalities and the walls of text that might scare some players off are fun to read. It's good to know that you plan to actually finish Price for Freedom in due time and not have it stay in development limbo for all eternity thanks to scope creep.

I'm also guessing you have a marketing genius on your team:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Awesome! Really looking forward to more and more performance and optimization iterations as we go! We are hoping to get gameplay up to par soon for combat, I imagine sound effects will have a ton to do with that as there's really no feedback on what you are doing currently... how do people feel about that in general?

But yeah we want to definitely finish this product and bring it to market as a completed game! No plans to sit on and milk our patrons for years and years dragging in the sand. We want to stretch our creative legs out and move on into new kinds of games and develop no jus the PFF universe but take a whack at Screwdriver again. We have a few ideas to increase the scope of Avarice by a bit, but nothing crazy, just small bits of content and features.

Haha, indeed.

Reactions: James Eveleth

RedPillBlues

I Want to Rock your Body (To the Break of Dawn)
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
I imagine sound effects will have a ton to do with that as there's really no feedback on what you are doing currently... how do people feel about that in general?
Personally I don't really care about ost's, or sound in H-games (Unless of course it has voice acting) I find them to be more of a bother then anything else. In fact I even play most of my games on mute and opt for my own music instead. So I would rather you focus more on fleshing out content rather then focusing a large amount of time getting the audio just right.

Of course I assume i'm actually in the minority here.

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Personally I don't really care about ost's, or sound in H-games (Unless of course it has voice acting) I find them to be more of a bother then anything else. In fact I even play most of my games on mute and opt for my own music instead. So I would rather you focus more on fleshing out content rather then focusing a large amount of time getting the audio just right.

Of course I assume i'm actually in the minority here.
Well, the sound doesn't actually take up any time for us. Combat right now just feels hollow and devoid of feedback when it goes down. We do want to be a complete game so we're not aiming to just be an H-Game per say. Personally, I like well-done sound effects and I think music really can make or break a game! Having to mute a game is annoying haha.

So it won't really bog us down any for working on the main content of the game, we commission both SFX and Music. Our new music guy is amazing and a couple of his tracks are already in the game.

Reactions: RedPillBlues

Jugg337

Formerly 'JuggM'
Jul 4, 2017
Uhh how do I unlock the first Hera scene? I only got the later 2, do I have to restart her quest?

skilet2

Mar 17, 2018
I am putting one together slowly, but where did you get stuck? I can help you out here.
Well I just went around doing everything I could find but there are still some scenes I have to unlock and I don't know where to go to, for instance I did the hunting challenge with that girl, then the serpent one, and the elf one as well, and the blacksmith, but I'm certain I miss something on Dee and Lin at least, and that inn's wife(I noticed it said something about a counter but I can't figure what is it) I don't know how to get to her, if it's possible that is. I also can't seem to head out anywhere besides the docks/trade/gates, are those not available yet or am I doing something wrong? Oh and the slave trader, anything I can do there? I'm sorry, that's a lot of questions.

James Eveleth

Mar 22, 2018
Well I just went around doing everything I could find but there are still some scenes I have to unlock and I don't know where to go to, for instance I did the hunting challenge with that girl, then the serpent one, and the elf one as well, and the blacksmith, but I'm certain I miss something on Dee and Lin at least, and that inn's wife(I noticed it said something about a counter but I can't figure what is it) I don't know how to get to her, if it's possible that is. I also can't seem to head out anywhere besides the docks/trade/gates, are those not available yet or am I doing something wrong? Oh and the slave trader, anything I can do there? I'm sorry, that's a lot of questions.
To answer your questions:
-You can't do anything with Dee, the brothel owner or the blue skinned girl(for now, at least).
-To reach Verona(the redhead) you first have to wait for the barkeeper to turn his back to you(he does this on a set interval) and then run into the kitchen. That will start a dialogue and a scene with her.
-The only available areas right now are Outskirts, Gate, Trade District and Old Docks. Slums and Government District are not yet in the game.
-You can't do anything with the slave trader at the moment, though I hope that changes in the near future.

Reactions: Valaska

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
James summed it up pretty well! Another tidbit though is 2 or 3 scenes remain "locked" to avoid people from spoiling the reveal. Will be fixed later. Verona isn't Nathan's wife btw!

To answer your questions:
-You can't do anything with Dee, the brothel owner or the blue skinned girl(for now, at least).
-To reach Verona(the redhead) you first have to wait for the barkeeper to turn his back to you(he does this on a set interval) and then run into the kitchen. That will start a dialogue and a scene with her.
-The only available areas right now are Outskirts, Gate, Trade District and Old Docks. Slums and Government District are not yet in the game.
-You can't do anything with the slave trader at the moment, though I hope that changes in the near future.
Linn is an OC of someones so likely no naughty of her, Dee technically is but isn't. A knight tier person pledged to have her included in the game and had oversight over her personality etc, but she was originally just a random girl Arbuz drew. Esther though is one of ours and if Redic gets to sample that vintage boutique, it'll be for doing something pretty awesome ;).

What would you like to see from the slave trader?

UnDeaD_CyBorG

Apr 6, 2018
After having played a newer version than I previously did - meh.
The combat was mildly interesting before, but after a fifth of what may as well be random encounters in an rpgmaker game I just felt like skipping it.
Though the story seems to be going straight past me, so I suppose I lack motivation. Oh well.

ArbuzBudesh

Game Developer
Sep 12, 2018
Im confused, "combat was interesting before" references previous version or current version combat? Because nothing besides old UI was removed.

As for slave trader there will be some interactions with him beside just talking, i'm still planning that part out so can't say anything in particular. While buying slave girl for sex is something most people would expect from a smut game, it's not as clear cut here given game context.
Given protagonist is an adventurer, this leads to contextual and gameplay difficulties like for example where they bought slave would stay. She can't go along fighting monsters and bandits, and if she stays in the slave camp its essentially a prostitution, but there's brothel 5 meters away so its not like this theme is unused. Buying house isn't a planned feature either.
It is not an absolute no, but there's some thinking needs to be done. But there definetely will be something done for the slave camp in terms of interaction and content.

UnDeaD_CyBorG

Apr 6, 2018
Well, the thing was, the combat was interesting in old versions because it barely happened. It was mostly just learning how to do it.
Once you do it a dozen times, it's unbelievably repetitive, like some old JRPG.
Also frequent camera issues that I didn't see before.

RedPillBlues

I Want to Rock your Body (To the Break of Dawn)
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
Im confused, "combat was interesting before" references previous version or current version combat? Because nothing besides old UI was removed.

As for slave trader there will be some interactions with him beside just talking, i'm still planning that part out so can't say anything in particular. While buying slave girl for sex is something most people would expect from a smut game, it's not as clear cut here given game context.
Given protagonist is an adventurer, this leads to contextual and gameplay difficulties like for example where they bought slave would stay. She can't go along fighting monsters and bandits, and if she stays in the slave camp its essentially a prostitution, but there's brothel 5 meters away so its not like this theme is unused. Buying house isn't a planned feature either.
It is not an absolute no, but there's some thinking needs to be done. But there definetely will be something done for the slave camp in terms of interaction and content.
How about something in the realm of instead of making him a trader, you make him a quest giver? Maybe something along the lines of he gives you a few quests to recapture girls and once you find them you can turn them in (For gold) or let the go (Aka bribe via sex or they offer themselves). Its kinda cliche but I think it works nicely.

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Well, the thing was, the combat was interesting in old versions because it barely happened. It was mostly just learning how to do it.
Once you do it a dozen times, it's unbelievably repetitive, like some old JRPG.
Also frequent camera issues that I didn't see before.
That's fair, we can certainly explore bringing more depth into it and make it more satisfying. Tbh my favourite turn based game of all time was Final Fantasy Tactics though, which didn't go too extreme in complexity of mechanics, but it was very satisfying with the progression etc. We'll keep working to bring a satisfying feeling and outcome for combat.

4.10 star(s) 35 Votes