etherel

Nov 15, 2017
Someone said the three undead were overpowered and here i am destroyed mercilessly by groups of only two.. i can't even kill one of them before my fall.

Is there a kind soul to help me understand the combat mechanic or at last give me some hint to climb this wall ?

ArbuzBudesh

Game Developer
Sep 12, 2018
Combat balancing is still rough, you can skip combat by clicking bottom right door button during fight. You will autowin encounter, it has unimited use.

etherel

Nov 15, 2017
Thanks for this info, i didn't saw it and will use it now.

Will there be an in game tuto about combat ? (and some basic combo/affinity explanation would be great too)

Edit : "clicking bottom right door button during fight " - there isn't anything there.. :s

rewyb

Sep 22, 2017
Thanks for this info, i didn't saw it and will use it now.

Will there be an in game tuto about combat ? (and some basic combo/affinity explanation would be great too)

Edit : "clicking bottom right door button during fight " - there isn't anything there.. :s
You need to enable that when you start a new game, iirc...

ArbuzBudesh

Game Developer
Sep 12, 2018
yeah you need to check that in start of the game for that button to be present.
we will create a combat tutorial eventually, because combat is a bit too complex to properly get from first grasp. Currently we don't know when for certain since we a bit crammed on time.

RedPillBlues

I Want to Rock your Body (To the Break of Dawn)
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
"We plan on releasing public builds more regularly in the future, so stay tuned for that." Hopefully this is the change that's needed for more support, they need it.

Valaska

[PFF: Avarice Dev]
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
PublicBuild9.jpg

Hello everyone, we’re happy to bring you all Public Build No.9! This build is fairly mighty in terms of content! Some of our older content is being shifted into the public stream now so we’re happy to hear how guys and gals feel about the scenes.

Here is the change-log since the last public build:

• - Nailah lewd scene.
  • - Katrina sprite / portrait.
  • - New companion Calypso with quest / sprite / portrait.
  • - New village-hub location (Toreign).
  • - 3 interior locations in Toreign.
  • - Ability to skip the prologue in new game.
  • - Blood effects in combat.
  • - Merchants and trade system.
  • - Sell and Buy items UI.
  • - Goldra sprite / portrait.
  • - Alistra sprite / portrait.
  • - Chickens!
  • - New village soundtrack.
  • - Ambient track with three variants.
  • - And two other ambient tracks.
  • - Gallery portraits randomizer.
  • - Companions relationship system (currently doesn't affect gameplay but will have effect later on).
  • - Campfire location (day/night variants).
  • - 20 new animated foliages types.
  • - Ability for characters to sit.
  • - Corpse sprite Thugs and Bandits.
  • - Includes a save to access the new content directly (PatreonBuild9).
  • - Iski sprite / portrait.
  • - Thieves guild - location will later host a vendor and find Iski.
  • - Hiho quest updated to work with the new location instead of placeholder dialogue.
  • - Misc bug\typo fixes. [MANY more fixes to come]
  • - Fast game loading and reduced memory usage.
  • - New animated splash screen.

With this comes our first new town-hub outside of Kaldea. There is lots to do in fleshing the location out and exploration, so keep an eye out for changes in future updates. Here are a few of our big points I’d like to mention more in depth:

Toreign

Toreign was once a thriving fishing and agricultural hub. In its hay day it happily fed hundreds in the region… but recent tensions between Kaldea and Atlathka have all but killed off farming for Toreign, in it the stead of crops have sprouted dozens of passing by mercenary companies hoping to capitalize on the situation.

Thieves Guild

I want to give it a proper name in the future, like a syndicate or such but until then this location will be utilized quite a bit. Hiho’s quest properly enters the location and a couple other quests will come to a head here. There are also fences here that allow the purchase of sometimes rare objects… prices could be cheaper than somewhere else but they’re out to make a profit!

In the future we may have it more randomized and have surprise deals in these vendors. Keep an eye out as we develop our mercantile systems.

Music

Toreign represents a new step for our original soundtrack, with 3 different ambients based on the same track and will play in a contextual driven manner. We have a couple more tracks coming as well. Having custom made music for this game is extremely excited and we can’t wait to see how it is received!

Merchants and trade

We’re making the basic foundation of our mercantile system, don’t expect too much from just yet… but we are really looking for people to abuse/break this system and report back to us.

Relationships & Standing

We plan to utilize a somewhat basic, yet functional, relationship system that will play out behind the scenes. If you do something that one of the characters will disagree with you may get a small hit… but we are trying to reserve negative impacts to extremely heavy circumstances where you go completely against a characters core beliefs/ethics.

Typically we won’t have the fallout “X liked that Y Z disliked that” system. There aren’t too many situations that you will gain with one character and lose with another, that’s extremely frustrating. Also characters who are not present will not magically find out you picked a lock 2 kilometers away.

Positive gains will work similarly… but they will be much more natural in that, listening to advice or just simply talking to your companions will be the best way to get relationship gains.

Other uses of this system may play into actual story events and change how certain factions react dialogue plays out. This isn’t concrete and we are not sure how well we can utilize this system with the resources we have, but if we can streamline the process we will definitely try and do it.

Campfire’s

Campfires will be scenes that play between travelling from time to time. This will allow you to get to know your party and what I think is a twist on the system… allow your party to get to know YOU. I’ve never seen this in CRPG’s before, so I want to experiment with having the player learn more about Redic’s history and past through your party members actually taking an interest and asking.

You can decide to open up and explore your past with the party members or just shrug it off and completely cut these scenes short if you have no interest in them. But I think it's an interesting twist!

Chickens!

End game content confirmed…?

RedPillBlues

Donor
Jun 5, 2017
Yes indeedy! Nailah, mechanics, locations etc, things that released on patreon first and were mainlined this update.
So is everything from the last big release that was behind the Patreon wall now public?

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
So is everything from the last big release that was behind the Patreon wall now public?
I'm not sure what you mean precisely as our big release, I am a bit tired and in the middle of working atm so uhh in our patch notes we have it I think. Iski is still a patreon reward atm for sure and there could be another scene or two that will come along as we go on further.

RedPillBlues

Donor
Jun 5, 2017
I'm not sure what you mean precisely as our big release, I am a bit tired and in the middle of working atm so uhh in our patch notes we have it I think. Iski is still a patreon reward atm for sure and there could be another scene or two that will come along as we go on further.
Well that sucks, but at least they get something.

ChaoticShock

Mar 13, 2018
hmmm...i think i'll hold off on any patreon payments from my part then, has lost alot of respect for Devs on patreon lately (ViperV, eromancer, an several other high income devs) this is nothing towards anybody of course, i just feel the ''Milking'' is becomming more consistent which i hate, only person i really have faith in anymore is Grimhelm as he deliberately closed his patreon so no more money would come and he's worked on his game greatly solo.

although in the end i hope all devs get the games they wished in it's finalized, polished, state (polished lookin at EA n bethesda cough cough)

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
hmmm...i think i'll hold off on any patreon payments from my part then, has lost alot of respect for Devs on patreon lately (ViperV, eromancer, an several other high income devs) this is nothing towards anybody of course, i just feel the ''Milking'' is becomming more consistent which i hate, only person i really have faith in anymore is Grimhelm as he deliberately closed his patreon so no more money would come and he's worked on his game greatly solo.

although in the end i hope all devs get the games they wished in it's finalized, polished, state (polished lookin at EA n bethesda cough cough)
Hm? Grimhelm's patreon is still going... I should know I'm one of them haha. He actually runs the patreon a bit similar to us as well, his patreon has X amount of content (all in the new updates) on it while the public is a paired down version. I know I might sound out of line saying this but I've spoken with EroMancer a few times on a discord we're in and a large portion of what he's making goes straight back into game development or covers his hourly time working on it.

To be honest, that's how it works with most of us, I can say right now as one of the core 3 in Team Dead Deer I actually am eating into my savings and doing side work because a lot of our money actually goes into the OST, art assets on commission, writing on commission... it's a huge endeavour to make an entire game especially with the scope of a CRPG, or say the artistic fidelity of HentaiWriters Future Fragments. I know its easy to see 2800-4000 a month and times it by twelve and go "oh wow 33,000! They're set!"

But its unfortunately not that simple as most things in life. We split a small portion of that for our core members and then we ensure that anyone we commission gets taken care of and paid well... because with our team size we have to augment what we do with others. Making a game beyond just some run of the mill Daz3D with stock music, stock sound effects etc... it's a massive endeavour and why so many of us EroDev's stick together and try to support each other best we can.

I am sorry that it feels like we're trying to milk you but we're honestly just trying to get by right now. The goal right now (other than making a product people enjoy) is to cover our ducks and be able to support ourselves through game development. For us at TDD that means making a game that people will want to buy when finished and distributed while being eternally grateful to those patrons who helped us get here... or even just to anyone who helps get the word out or enjoys the project in its free form enough that they might consider buying it in the end.

I hope I kind of was able to properly explain what it means to actually make the commitment to develop a game independently like this. I have a ton of respect for those who actually set out and dedicate the time and effort it takes to make games in this community. It's a frustrating, tiring, arduous, but awesome thing to be making your own game.

ChaoticShock

Mar 13, 2018
what i don't understand is....why not part time it?

none expects you to do it fulltime, none expects you to do a suicidal deadline and do it, none expects it ''within a month or we'll lynch our mothers and sisters!''

why not stay with the fact that it's on patreon and get the funding that goes to the game.....great it goes towards the development, but why sacrifice everything else for only that? that's stupid.

i don't think i'm getting my point clearly across with my words, what i mean is that, people tend when given the numbers on patreon to suddenly use all that money for ''Yay time for funding MYSELF, and the game!'' which i think is ludicrously stupid, hell some even QUIT jobs for it, that's my problem.

everyone should stay with their jobs so they still get *Paid* for working, whilst less efficient i acknowledge that, yet still working towards the game AFTER ones work, i just don't understand why people throw everything inside reality they had just for a singular purpose because it became a successful funding process.

don't misunderstand me, i don't intend on bashing nor degrading anyone, i just think it's pretty stupid that it feels people quit their jobs, and such for the sole purpose of the development of a game, i understand that their passion is involved with making the game, but it's just a wrong kind when it's all thrown out the window you know?

i apologize if i sound weird or if my point hasn't come off rightly, but something one has passion for should stay part-timely whilst *managing* ones life, it's less efficient as i stated, but it's what Works.

EDIT: the statement i made about Grimhelm should still stand as there was a post on patreon before it got taken for review for a longass time, that he disabled the money-gettin, even a screenshot of that statement is here.

ArbuzBudesh

Game Developer
Sep 12, 2018
what i don't understand is....why not part time it?
counter question. Can you name more than 3 finished worthwhile projects made in part time which took less than a decade to make?

Not to mention something so demanding as gamedev will demand time and effort even in part-time, which would definitely limit opportunities at day-time job and limit person to fairly low-wage income but with much less free time on top to make it even more stressfull.

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
everyone should stay with their jobs so they still get *Paid* for working, whilst less efficient i acknowledge that, yet still working towards the game AFTER ones work, i just don't understand why people throw everything inside reality they had just for a singular purpose because it became a successful funding process.

don't misunderstand me, i don't intend on bashing nor degrading anyone, i just think it's pretty stupid that it feels people quit their jobs, and such for the sole purpose of the development of a game, i understand that their passion is involved with making the game, but it's just a wrong kind when it's all thrown out the window you know?
Well, it's honestly what you have to do to develop something like this. All three of us left former work or began focusing onto the project months before we even began running a patreon and our hours going into writing/drawing/animating/programming is what you traditionally spend most your money on in game development so it's not a vacuum when we pay people for those services. That is money going directly into the game... people need to be paid for their effort.

I don't think you are bashing or degrading anyone lol, and I'm okay with hearing criticism. But the reality of the situation is this... if we didn't dedicate the majority of our effort and time to this project, it would never be finished. We all are still doing something or other on the side to supplement our incomes to stay afloat, but if we dedicated 40 hours + a week (my last job I would work upwards of 120 hours a week leaving not much time for anything else) on other things well, we wouldn't see nearly any of the progress we've had.

This is the best we can do, and offering the free updates a month lag time is the absolute best we can provide for free. I know it sucks because you want to play it all now for free but... we gotta do something? And until we can think of another way that would work as well, we have to stay this course as best we can. I'm sorry if we're letting you down but this is the best system we could think of to offer our content to people who otherwise might not be able to pay, while also getting support!

Reactions: sorrowfox
4.10 star(s) 35 Votes