ChaoticShock

Mar 13, 2018
counter question. Can you name more than 3 finished worthwhile projects made in part time which took less than a decade to make?

Not to mention something so demanding as gamedev will demand time and effort even in part-time, which would definitely limit opportunities at day-time job and limit person to fairly low-wage income but with much less free time on top to make it even more stressfull.
i sadly can't, but that doesn't completely disregard what i'm saying either, None is throwing stones at your houses, none is holding people hostage, none is beheading people demanding *new stuff, immediately*

as i stated TWICE, already, it's less efficient correct, but a Rather majorly stabile method than anything else, and if you really have the burning passion to [Complete] it, then it'd be done even if fulltime or part-time, since that efforts would never be wasted right?

it ain't black n white, it's colorful, multi-pathed, as long as that passion commits till it's literal end, it's gonna be completed as a successful project regardless, it's just likely more stable in what i'm saying.

it's a simple catch as life is.

fully dedicate = faster game development, and progress towards the end.

Half dedicate/Managing life = Less game development and progress, but more lifely stability and more funds able to cover the project.

it's a double-edged sword afterall.

and since (not in this thread ofc) people tend to always think the words spoken only emit malice n negativity, just stating this isn't said out of malice whatsoever, seems this needs to be stated since alot of people is becomin snowflakes nowadays.

ArbuzBudesh

Game Developer
Sep 12, 2018
it sounds logical in theory, but in practice half\half DOESN'T bring more stability. Sure financially you seem more stable, but its a huge mental drain to juggle 2 works at same time. Instead of going to hang out with friends and unwind after work, you suggesting that indie dev would sit and code. Stress is often neglected, is why we see so many internet content creators who started out good then came crashing down.
And im going to try to predict the "well you can spend small chunk of time to less impact leisure time" argument. Which hits another completely different issue. If you worked on a project 6 months and in that time all you managed to finish only WASD movement and 3 lines of dialogue, then its INCREDIBLY demoralizing as a creator.
So usually what happens is one of two: developer goes all-in gamble to work with full dedication or completely abandons project and we never hear of it again.

And yes, there are BURNING PASSION people around who can easily neglect their living condition as long as they doing their loved work, but firstly they are incredibly rare, secondly all of those cases i've seen so far they all dumped their previous work to work on gamedev fulltime. So even completely maniacal developers run out of patience.

If your suggestion was that much better, bunch of gamedevs would've figured it out by now by sheer luck.

Reactions: RedPillBlues

ChaoticShock

Mar 13, 2018
ï would say in hindsight, WASD and 3 lines, would still not be ''wasted'' efforts, people has made things through many years, like Toby fox did with Undertale, but none of you has bosses, nor are fans demanding a deadline, you're all in control of your work that you dedicated yourself into, hence no matter how long it actually takes, if you really have the motivation to get it from start to Finish, you will, none says it will ever be easy, but that ''Passion'' is what made WASD controls and 3 lines of dialogue, then months later it'll have made HP bars and 7 lines, it's like an EXP bar irl, the efforts you do will keep rising till 100% unless as you said ''the demoralization'' gets to you first, i'm sure there's lots that's also made their games through this method as they have with patreon.

hell even before patreon existed.

Prick

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2017
Ya know, I've passed on this game enough times now. Didn't really check it out, but I just stumbled on the build shared on Newgrounds, and the first animation I saw was enough to warrant some... further science project related investigation. ;)
I'm not sure what I've gotten myself into though, seems like public build 9 starts off in the middle of the game, and I have no fuckin clue what's going on.
I'm going to hop on that $5 tier now, you guys have some very nice looking work, and I'd like to see some more. Thanks.

Also, someone needs to add the animated tag to the OP, one reason I probably passed on this so many times.

ArbuzBudesh

Game Developer
Sep 12, 2018
Ya know, I've passed on this game enough times now. Didn't really check it out, but I just stumbled on the build shared on Newgrounds, and the first animation I saw was enough to warrant some... further science project related investigation. ;)
I'm not sure what I've gotten myself into though, seems like public build 9 starts off in the middle of the game, and I have no fuckin clue what's going on.
I'm going to hop on that $5 tier now, you guys have some very nice looking work, and I'd like to see some more. Thanks.
You might've accidentally loaded save file which was autoincluded for people who already played previous builds to not be forced to replay everything again OR accidentally clicked "skip introduction" in new game button. Either way you can always start a fresh new playthrough in the main menu in already mentioned "new game" button.

Reactions: Prick

Valaska

[PFF: Avarice Dev]
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017

Also, someone needs to add the animated tag to the OP, one reason I probably passed on this so many times.
Oh my gosh mate, thanks a ton! It means a lot to our whole team to see some positive feedback and I am super happy we were able to make something you like. I hope there's further scientific research to be had!

For some reason, I'm having trouble with the merchant quest. Where do I find a fence?
Oh sorry, that could be hard if you didn't do Hiho's quest! It's down in the docks, a small pier. Sort of the lowest elevation you can go. Green paint on the wall.

Reactions: Prick

sudieken

Apr 26, 2017
"This version is essentially the same as the Patreon one, but without Katrina, Iski, Terri and Katie scenes."

Are these sex scenes they're talking about here?

Valaska

[PFF: Avarice Dev]
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
"This version is essentially the same as the Patreon one, but without Katrina, Iski, Terri and Katie scenes."

Are these sex scenes they're talking about here?
Yes sir, functionally we keep mechanics on parity as best we can. Sometimes one version might have a couple of tiny hotfixes but generally, we want to keep all core loops on parity. We have been staggering certain lewd scenes into the public version after a period of time.

freca

Jun 15, 2017
You know, I have to say that I am impressed that you guys have made it this far along without a single patron leaking the patron build. Color me impressed.

Klain50

May 27, 2017
Oh God no indeed. First people want to fuck animals. (Won't judge) Now they want chicks with dicks (I don't get what's so good about it.) Next they'll want a cookie...and if you give a mouse a cookie...
there's already a game where you can inseminate a pony from a children's cartoon show with carrots ...yes you read that correctly

Reactions: Ghostly Hale
4.10 star(s) 35 Votes