Valaska

[PFF: Avarice Dev]
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
I feel like I'm doing way less damage in combat than I should. Like when I faced the tentacle creatures below the temple, almost all of my attacks just did 1 or 2 damage. Is there some "trick" to combat that I'm not aware of? At this rate each encounter will take 10 minutes and I'll just end up skipping.
They're not well balanced right now and we plan to address that issue. So basically you need to maim the tentacles and then punch through the carapace if the tentacles regen then you gotta remain them. It's tedious and too laborious right now... sorry :x. We'll fix it up.

Goldra being my favorite character from Clouds Meadow, I hope she gets more than just a gallery appearance, as in actual scenes and maybe as a companion! But maybe that's too much hoping for two of my favorite games collaboration to get bigger
We'll see if there's an area appropriate to use her in the future, not sure yet.

Edvin

Jun 3, 2017
Also the hovering npcs rushing about and my name being changed to "Madman" during "Loose ends" quest need fixing...
The same problem :(
I even edited save and changed my name back, but it didn't help.
There must be a specific and permanently active line of code that automatically changes your name to "Madman" when you get to a certain stage quest "Loose ends".

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
The same problem :(
I even edited save and changed my name back, but it didn't help.
There must be a specific and permanently active line of code that automatically changes your name to "Madman" when you get to a certain stage quest "Loose ends".
Hah... yeah, we have a tagging system for the main character actually. We're gonna work on it! Sorry about the inconvenience. Maybe we need to do what Aurelia did and have it so you can change the name at any time.

Any android version
No, sorry. Not for now at least. Android is a real pain because you need to update the entire game every time that android itself has an update, so it's a constant maintenance cycle and we can't handle that load atm.

Edvin

Jun 3, 2017
Hah... yeah, we have a tagging system for the main character actually. We're gonna work on it! Sorry about the inconvenience. Maybe we need to do what Aurelia did and have it so you can change the name at any time.
That will probably be the best option.
BTW, Have you heard about game Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones ? It's so incredibly similar to your game...
But in spite of the huge budget difference, I must say that if I don't count the UI, you are superior in almost every way.

Also, if you're interested, I have some tips on how to make this game even better.

1) Circle around player (optional).
Every time I play isometric RPGs, I just have to have my circles :)
2) Range attack from Revered can hit you even through walls and closed doors.
Unless you turn it into a mental attack, you should probably fix it.
3) Expensive items - I have a lot of money, but I have nothing to buy :(
I don't really care what it will be, but I want to have the opportunity to buy something expensive.
Players need some reason why have to save money.
4) If you don't let us sooner or later buy slaves, I'll be very angry :giggle:
5) Perhaps it would be better to change the aiming of the limbs to the same system as in Fallout 1 and 2.
First select the enemy, then select part of him from picture of his body. Current selection of some miniature limbs is sometimes really annoying. Not only did I have to change the resolution, but I also miss clicked a few times and messed up the whole turn, because the enemies are not standing still.
6) During the fight, highlight the outline of the enemy or give them priority over all textures to keep them always visible.
During the fighting at the Temple of Mara I did not see enemies in half of the cases because of the doors and walls. Aiming for limbs was extremely difficult.

P.S.
Your game really impressed me.
Soon you will be able to compete with some of the big studios.

halluva

May 18, 2017
They're not well balanced right now and we plan to address that issue. So basically you need to maim the tentacles and then punch through the carapace if the tentacles regen then you gotta remain them. It's tedious and too laborious right now... sorry :x. We'll fix it up.
If there's some specific trick to beating an enemy type, then you need to make that clear to the player somehow. Blind trial and error isn't fun.

Edvin

Jun 3, 2017
If there's some specific trick to beating an enemy type, then you need to make that clear to the player somehow. Blind trial and error isn't fun.
Destroy all limbs and let the bastard bleed to death.
A universal tactic that works on ALL enemies (y)

Reactions: Valaska

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
That will probably be the best option.
BTW, Have you heard about game Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones ? It's so incredibly similar to your game...
But in spite of the huge budget difference, I must say that if I don't count the UI, you are superior in almost every way.

Also, if you're interested, I have some tips on how to make this game even better.

1) Circle around player (optional).
Every time I play isometric RPGs, I just have to have my circles :)
2) Range attack from Revered can hit you even through walls and closed doors.
Unless you turn it into a mental attack, you should probably fix it.
3) Expensive items - I have a lot of money, but I have nothing to buy :(
I don't really care what it will be, but I want to have the opportunity to buy something expensive.
Players need some reason why have to save money.
4) If you don't let us sooner or later buy slaves, I'll be very angry :giggle:
5) Perhaps it would be better to change the aiming of the limbs to the same system as in Fallout 1 and 2.
First select the enemy, then select part of him from picture of his body. Current selection of some miniature limbs is sometimes really annoying. Not only did I have to change the resolution, but I also miss clicked a few times and messed up the whole turn, because the enemies are not standing still.
6) During the fight, highlight the outline of the enemy or give them priority over all textures to keep them always visible.
During the fighting at the Temple of Mara I did not see enemies in half of the cases because of the doors and walls. Aiming for limbs was extremely difficult.

P.S.
Your game really impressed me.
Soon you will be able to compete with some of the big studios.
Not until you mentioned it! That's one atmospheric game. I'll have to check it out after my backlog gets cleaned up, I have so many to go through atm. But yeah Arbuz has never done UI before so he may have made some mistakes here and there haha... we might give another crack at it too. We do want the UI to be intuitive, but failing that we want it to at least not be intrusive.

1. That could be handy! Maybe a way to show the physical status of each character in the party.
  2. Yeah we need to tweak obstructions, obstacles, and walls using LOS.
  3. For sure! The Velvet Oasis will cost money eventually, there will be some artifact items for sure. We haven't balanced the economy at all as of current though, that'll be pretty late in the project.
  4. xD well... we might have something there, but we aren't making There is story elements that will bring you back to the markets.
  5. I feel that. The idea of the paper doll showing up and being where you select the limbs is my favourite solution that we've come up with. It would actually work quite a bit like F1/F2 Vats. Enemies moving is definitely a problem for clicking on them that we didn't FULLY think through lol.
  6. Ah I see, makes sense. We do want them to be obscured but when targeting them or when they are in line of sight, we should definitely do something like you said.
Thanks a ton! We really hope so too, we plan to make Team Dead Deer into an actual studio and continue creating after this project. Heck, when we have time to just chat we already spitball ideas and stuff of what we could make one-day in the future. PFF is a pretty great an expansive setting that could be handled in a ton of different ways. We'd like to use spine in the future for example, or some other more powerful animator as we currently use Anima2D. Tons of ideas in the future, so long as we get this project right!

I don't mean to sound braggadocious, but I think for our very first game as a team, and the first game some of us have ever worked on... I think we're doing as good as we can be. Improving as we go, learning from suggestions like yours.

Uhh... I might be wrong but is there like a bit about how to fight them in the codex? I might not have gotten to that so that would be my bad. But yeah we don't want to spell it out completely for the player and want to encourage people to experiment and solve the issues, but at the same time we can't go too far into "just figure it out/git gud!" That's no fun either. I'll take the suggestion back to the team and we'll talk about it.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Back to work.

vitism-samara-goop.png

maroder

Jun 17, 2017
does these game have route or is it liner experience. basically do you make choices with meaningful consequence or not ??

Edvin

Jun 3, 2017
does these game have route or is it liner experience. basically do you make choices with meaningful consequence or not ??
As far as I know, most of the Quest offers three alternatives.

1) Kill it! (preferably by fire)
2) Sweet talk it.
3) Bribe it.

So if you mess up the negotiations, you can always rely on money or good old violence.

Your decisions have consequences. For example, if you kill one of the thieves instead of bribing him or making a deal with him, high rank thieves will not be too excited about your actions, which will complicate some future quests (instead of giving you information for free, or only for a sibylic fee, they will want BIG bribes). So it's not smart to kill people who have connections to people who might be useful to you in the future.

So the game is definitely not linear.
In fact, it is more non-linear than most of today's RPGs.

Reactions: Valaska and maroder

Edvin

Jun 3, 2017
Valaska
Just a quick question:

Have you thought about alternative costumes for some characters?

Despite the fact that her face looks different (MUCH better) in sex scenes and that she barely has half the dialogues compared to Samara, Osh'To is probably my favorite character. What I don't understand is style of her clothes/armor. So many layers and no visible skin. I am not an expert, but it does not seem like an ideal outfit to a hot desert environment (unless her race doesn't have extremely high fire-resistant). I thought that muscular barbarians prefer very little clothing.

I would pay good money if I could see her fight topless (or just with bandage over breasts) and only in a loincloth :p

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Valaska
Just a quick question:

Have you thought about alternative costumes for some characters?

Despite the fact that her face looks different (MUCH better) in sex scenes and that she barely has half the dialogues compared to Samara, Osh'To is probably my favorite character. What I don't understand is style of her clothes/armor. So many layers and no visible skin. I am not an expert, but it does not seem like an ideal outfit to a hot desert environment (unless her race doesn't have extremely high fire-resistant). I thought that muscular barbarians prefer very little clothing.

I would pay good money if I could see her fight topless (or just with bandage over breasts) and only in a loincloth :p
We were experimenting with alternative costumes and the idea of them, we would like to do them but maybe after we've completed the game. Our in-world sprites have their clothes on and aren't nude. It'd require some redraws and a little more technical stuff.

Yeah Osh'to has... hah, like no dialogues outside of her main quest. We'll be adding her into previous quests in the future and all quests we do going forward will have her in them. She's going to be a bit quieter than most. You'd be surprised though, pleated and gambeson were used in the deserts, it is hot but it's liveable. Ogres are extremely hardy and durable. Scylla's old outfit (before it was ruined, that'll be in a little comedy scene later) was actually pretty similar before. It was a leather tunic with chainmail underneath and brass decorative studs that pleated the leather, with chain arms on it covered with leather too haha. She's pretty bent out of shape from how she lost it... was a super stupid reason.

But in general armour around this period looked similar in real life. Romans etc weren't as good as making armour and the way they fought protected the legs and arms pretty well. But they started to actually lose fights because of wounds to the arms and feet. If you look at armour during the crusades especially worn by Saladin and his troops, it does look really thick and hot but it was manageable since it was layered properly to allow as much cooling as possible.

800px-Saladin_the_Victorious.jpg Flickr_-_Gaspa_-_Cairo,_museo_militare_(8).jpg

Yeah, we'd love some alternative costumes, we'll see later on! It might be like post-game content maybe. We were thinking about doing quest expansions after the release possibly. Kinda like Witcher 3's content stuff they had. Not as expansive though haha, we do want to make different games after. check this out;

tumblr_oy156pLuG31s9w52zo1_1280.png

halluva

May 18, 2017
Uhh... I might be wrong but is there like a bit about how to fight them in the codex?
I never thought to look in the codex. At no point during the game was I led to believe that I should be checking there for strategy. Most games just treat it as a lore wiki, ie not something I think to go through in the middle of a dungeon.

Evilfowl

Aug 5, 2017
Welp, unfortunately the skeleton at the end of the catacombs black screens me every time :( was finally going to give this game a shot after having it on my radar for ages.

Reactions: fear213

Edvin

Jun 3, 2017
Valaska
I really like this picture.
It's exactly what I was talking about!
True badass female barbarian armor.
Will this character be in the game?

Once I wore light gambeson during historical combat. It was almost 30 degrees. In 10 minutes was heat unbearable :D
Osh'to wears two gambesons, padded trousers and tight leather gloves...

As I said, I don't know how well the representatives of her race endure the heat, but every human would sweat like a pig.

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Valaska
I really like this picture.
It's exactly what I was talking about!
True badass female barbarian armor.
Will this character be in the game?

Once I wore light gambeson during historical combat. It was almost 30 degrees. In 10 minutes was heat unbearable :D
Osh'to wears two gambesons, padded trousers and tight leather gloves...

As I said, I don't know how well the representatives of her race endure the heat, but every human would sweat like a pig.
Haha nah she's just a random Ogre drawn by Arbuz. Same universe but yeah just a random one-off picture.

When you wear heavy ass things etc you get used to it with time. Wearing full plate carrier, rig over it, ruck, BDU's etc sounds crazy but you get used to it. Gambeson, Bogu, etc all the same. But yeah the uh thumbnails I put in there were all historically accurate pics of what muslim troops wore during the crusades :>. Crusaders also wore gambeson under plate.

Edvin

Jun 3, 2017
Gambeson, Bogu, etc all the same. But yeah the uh thumbnails I put in there were all historically accurate pics of what muslim troops wore during the crusades :>. Crusaders also wore gambeson under plate.
Not exactly.

Gambeson was not known to the inhabitants of the desert.
Muslim soldiers wore long and coarse cloths under their armor, but it had two purposes.

1) You really don't want the sand to get under your clothes or intimate places. So they needed to seal their armor well.
"I don’t like sand. It’s coarse and rough and irritating… and it gets everywhere." :D
2) Wearing armor on plain clothes would be extremely inconvenient because armor is heavy and often has sharp edges.

In addition, Muslims did not use plate armor (only ring, chain or splint armor, because these armors allow ventilation) and historical sources say that Crusaders wore their armor only when approaching battle (the vast majority of the battlefield was previously known as the Crusades were mainly about the siege) because the heat in their gambesons and plate armors was unbearable.

That's why they wore only tunics and "tabards" (Yes, I know it is not really called tabard but English is not my first language, and in my language we call it tabard, so I refuse to hold a discussion on this subject). Gambeson makes sense if you're planning to wear heavy armor (or you're not rich enough to get real armor) or if you're fighting anywhere else but in the desert.

The gambeson is actually quite effective armor that allows enormous freedom of movement. So it makes sense to wear it (but two layers?) even if you used armor from a completely different culture that would probably not be known to the desert people :)

But (as I mentioned at the very beginning) it makes sense only if are ogres resistant to fire.
Otherwise, I would not recommend this, because the heat would be terrifying.

4.10 star(s) 35 Votes