ArbuzBudesh

Game Developer
Sep 12, 2018
Neither mc or companions can use magic, but it doesnt apply to magic item which dont require the user to be a practitioner.

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
Itch is already at 19.2 and the patch doesn't work.
As I've mentioned before, I wait before releasing new cracks, gives authors time to get subscribers, etc. As for 19.2, the build isn't available *here*, so I'm not interested in tracking things down from outside. When OP has 19.2, I'll wait my usual time from release and then upload, no exceptions.

Reddaro

Apr 20, 2020
Do you guys have some hint to help me beat those 3 undead that are right in front of the exit of the first dungeon? The very first one. I still manage to win if is a 2v2 but in a 2v3 fight I lose every time.

Valaska

[PFF: Avarice Dev]
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Humm... I've been seeing a lot of people saying there's a lack of choice, so I am going to do some spoiler territory with a few of the ones I can remember off the top of my head;

• Scylla can be left to die, killed, or rescued
  • You can abandon/fail Samara's story in the second quest
  • Iski's relationship to the player
  • The Kyot can die or live in Sam's quest (will affect something later)
  • Choose between Kaldea and Atlathka for Cracked Tooth (will factor in heavily)
  • Moira vs Alenai has nearly a novella worth of dialogue difference
  • Kimbers, Admiral Gracer, Moira's different interactions within those choices
  • Whispering Brook has 2 major paths with one having 2 sub-paths
  • (Roddis vs Mara)
  • Dialogue will affect Hiho's state of mind
  • Buckle/Scullery Boy
Companions have different shortcut/options and dialogues in everything which change the lore and such. One of the ones I like to point out is Scylla and bringing her to the political meeting.

The two MAJOR decisions that will shape the plot in many ways currently:
  • Who survives in Whispering Brook and their motivations
  • Whether Atlathka or Kaldea get the Fort

So a whole chat on this... people keep stating we are a linear game... yeeeaaah? We're not a sandbox, we can't be. We focus too much on a narrative. Even games like Baldurs gate you are essentially forced to leave the Cathedral, you are forced to get your soul back and such. Witcher 2 was one of the possibly least linear roleplaying games... but even then, the story diverges in 2 sections and then converges after Vernon/Blades Camp.

I'm not certain what people are requesting here in terms of making the game non-linear? We don't have the resources in order to make 2 separate games for instance, and we will always have one MSQ... but that's also how multi-million dollar projects like Witcher 2/Baldurs, Fallout worked as well so I'm not sure/confused at how people want us to approach "non-linear" content?

The only thing I can think of is if we made a sandbox game which is just, not possible. So my question to everyone here saying we are too linear;

How would you suggest we alter Avarice to make it not linear?

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Is there really people saying that you don't have choices in the game? Lmao
I don't think this game is linear at all.
I honestly want to hear them out and not be catty but... I want to just respond to you like "yeah, no kidding? What game are they even playing!" But at the same time I am really wanting to know why they feel its linear?

You can legitimately leave one of the potential companions to die, or to actually kill her yourself... your choices, if they are too negative with our companions, they will leave your party. I guess I am a little hurt even since I threw my back into it making Whispering Brook and the fort matter haha.

But I am thinking... maybe it appears to people like there's no choice? Maybe, somehow, even though people are making these decisions etc, they don't realise that this decision matters?

Jonathan Y

Dec 1, 2020
I honestly want to hear them out and not be catty but... I want to just respond to you like "yeah, no kidding? What game are they even playing!" But at the same time I am really wanting to know why they feel its linear?

You can legitimately leave one of the potential companions to die, or to actually kill her yourself... your choices, if they are too negative with our companions, they will leave your party. I guess I am a little hurt even since I threw my back into it making Whispering Brook and the fort matter haha.

But I am thinking... maybe it appears to people like there's no choice? Maybe, somehow, even though people are making these decisions etc, they don't realise that this decision matters?
I think it's definitely that they just don't realize they matter yet, or they simply play this game for the visuals / h scenes and just skim through the dialogues, hell there's been people acussing this game of having too much ''info dump'' ( which I strongly disagree ), anywho, it's commendable that a dev listens to the criticism from fans, however there are genuine good suggestions and then there are other's who post shit without thinking things through, don't let them get you down, you guys are doing an amazing job.
Anyway, I just wanted to say how much I loved the Whispering Brook questline, I was absolutely hooked, I hope we get more Mara and/or Clementine content/interactions, I just love those two. Wish you guys the best.

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
I think it's definitely that they just don't realize they matter yet, or they simply play this game for the visuals / h scenes and just skim through the dialogues, hell there's been people acussing this game of having too much ''info dump'' ( which I strongly disagree ), anywho, it's commendable that a dev listens to the criticism from fans, however there are genuine good suggestions and then there are other's who post shit without thinking things through, don't let them get you down, you guys are doing an amazing job.
Anyway, I just wanted to say how much I loved the Whispering Brook questline, I was absolutely hooked, I hope we get more Mara and/or Clementine content/interactions, I just love those two. Wish you guys the best.
Thanks so much! It can be hard to see how we went from 5-star reviews and like, it's actually kinda funny too. If you look at our reviews we go all 5 stars from the bottom then a 4, 3, then 2 and 1 haha, countdown style.

But after I personally get past the comical side of it, and personally with how my mind works is I sit and think on it. Some simply want something that we're not making and aren't going to make. One said we have worse writing than CoC or TiTS and no offence (love you Fenoxo!) I don't think... so... lol. Those games have some great erotic stuff but narrative-wise, that's just there to be more fetish fuel.

But a few do bring up some interesting points that makes me stop and think. And the repeated "too linear" thing is really sticking with me. I would HATE to have;
"This is a branching story path"
"your consequences matter"
"x didn't like that"
"JAAAASOOON! ... he must have visited the clown"

Pop up to let people know that there are non-linear stories in our games.

I loved the Whispering Brook questline, I was absolutely hooked, I hope we get more Mara and/or Clementine content/interactions
Already written up a ton of them, you will see them pop up around the town from time to time having girls time, shopping, eating, etc haha. It's not added to the game yet but there are two aftermath states for WhisperingBrook where you can go back and revisit and see how life begins to adapt to your decisions there.

spitfire335

Jun 12, 2017
Humm... I've been seeing a lot of people saying there's a lack of choice, so I am going to do some spoiler territory with a few of the ones I can remember off the top of my head;

• Scylla can be left to die, killed, or rescued
  • You can abandon/fail Samara's story in the second quest
  • Iski's relationship to the player
  • The Kyot can die or live in Sam's quest (will affect something later)
  • Choose between Kaldea and Atlathka for Cracked Tooth (will factor in heavily)
  • Moira vs Alenai has nearly a novella worth of dialogue difference
  • Kimbers, Admiral Gracer, Moira's different interactions within those choices
  • Whispering Brook has 2 major paths with one having 2 sub-paths
  • (Roddis vs Mara)
  • Dialogue will affect Hiho's state of mind
  • Buckle/Scullery Boy
Companions have different shortcut/options and dialogues in everything which change the lore and such. One of the ones I like to point out is Scylla and bringing her to the political meeting.

The two MAJOR decisions that will shape the plot in many ways currently:
  • Who survives in Whispering Brook and their motivations
  • Whether Atlathka or Kaldea get the Fort

So a whole chat on this... people keep stating we are a linear game... yeeeaaah? We're not a sandbox, we can't be. We focus too much on a narrative. Even games like Baldurs gate you are essentially forced to leave the Cathedral, you are forced to get your soul back and such. Witcher 2 was one of the possibly least linear roleplaying games... but even then, the story diverges in 2 sections and then converges after Vernon/Blades Camp.

I'm not certain what people are requesting here in terms of making the game non-linear? We don't have the resources in order to make 2 separate games for instance, and we will always have one MSQ... but that's also how multi-million dollar projects like Witcher 2/Baldurs, Fallout worked as well so I'm not sure/confused at how people want us to approach "non-linear" content?

The only thing I can think of is if we made a sandbox game which is just, not possible. So my question to everyone here saying we are too linear;

How would you suggest we alter Avarice to make it not linear?
Yeah I have to agree with Valaska here, there is plenty of choice in the game. It's not realistic for there to be too many branching paths. Relationships with characters are another way to differentiate the story, one player might romance all nagas he comes across, others may not even speak to them. Also mc and Clementine or Lady Wolf's discussions/scenes are a breath of fresh air, demonesses are hot, mc knows it.
Also games like Baldur's Gate and Dragon Age: Origins have millions of dollars behind them. They've done a great job with the resources they have.

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
Small Musing: Branches can always intertwine back into one...quite typical in most games. No need to have actual branches (or even consequences in a negative sense), but the illusion of control is a key token for players that game developers are often told to never destroy. Read through the reviews, and the only thing I saw that I could've said was the info-dumping (Skyrim... most despise that damn cart ride in the beginning because they'd rather learn everyone's life story *while playing it* (info through play without them thinking they've been sat down to be told a bunch of info aka info-dumping)) at the beginning and subsequent lack of info-dumping on combat. I dunno, not critiquing or bashing, just mumbling. Many games feature the main character simply 'in the know' while letting the player deduce through play all of that stuff. ? Much like Final Fantasy VII's beginning up until "&^#$# 'pizza' the rotting pizza." Again, I do not mean to be critical or bashing or anything like that, just musing and mumbling.

*Edited*

Last edited:

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Yeah I can get that! We are a bit long-winded and there can be a desire to explain things out. We were definitely afraid of dumping the player into such a new world with no setup.

It would have been great to have them laying down in the cart and Redic banged up with bruises and some bandages, was one of my ideas early on but just... didn't work out economically. So we are trying to balance the two, but yeah it would be great if we had a budget to do more still frame art or even something like Harebrained Schemes did with still pictures and minor animation.

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
You only need to fear the player not knowing how to progress on his own using the small clues that almost point them in the right direction. If you fail that, *then* you have a problem, but giving them all the info right away quickly becomes daunting for most players unable to absorb info and such. You've certainly tried and given thought to everything, just needs some polishing and maybe a beginning rework someday.

Reactions: Valaska
4.10 star(s) 35 Votes