4.20 star(s) 45 Votes

Euron13

Apr 7, 2019
Yes, you can definitely read between the lines for a couple posts he makes to guess what MIGHT happen. I meant an explicit post like "Hey, I'm going to slow this release timetable down." or "I am going to break the development into milestones contingent on funding." We've all seen this happen MANY times in the community. A goal 500% higher than your current base is not that, it is just slamming the brakes. It's his choice, but I like to see some concession made before virtually canceling the project. I don't think I've ever seen donations increase that much on a game while production is halted (please no one bring up DF, I am still bitter lol).

I'd like to do something for this dev, but first I want to get some feedback from the veterans in the community on what could be done better to promote the success of the project.

Is it just me or are his dono tiers a little low? Having only $30 as the highest tier doesn't speak to the quality of the project in my opinion.
Honestly, I think if the story gets to the point where the majority of the cast can actually feature into the game in a meaningful way then there’ll be a greater appeal.

What I think the Dev needs to do is show off the cast more, because his renders are top tier and these are some of the most beautiful looking characters on this site. A lot of these more successful games have a reasonable sized cast of women to show off and appeal to a greater audience. Right now the Dev is trying to sell this thing entirely off of Meaghan and Mei and to be honest that’s a bit too vanilla, people want options and variation.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Yes, you can definitely read between the lines for a couple posts he makes to guess what MIGHT happen. I meant an explicit post like "Hey, I'm going to slow this release timetable down." or "I am going to break the development into milestones contingent on funding." We've all seen this happen MANY times in the community. A goal 500% higher than your current base is not that, it is just slamming the brakes. It's his choice, but I like to see some concession made before virtually canceling the project. I don't think I've ever seen donations increase that much on a game while production is halted (please no one bring up DF, I am still bitter lol).

I'd like to do something for this dev, but first I want to get some feedback from the veterans in the community on what could be done better to promote the success of the project.

Is it just me or are his dono tiers a little low? Having only $30 as the highest tier doesn't speak to the quality of the project in my opinion.
you should probably reach out to the dev and try to come to some agreement if he bites. I don't know exactly how this milestone things work, but if he is looking for 2000 dollars a month, the game is as good as dead. You said you might even personally put up enough to reach that milestone, but i can't imagine it would be a perpetual monthly investment right? What's gonna happen after he releases the 0.8 or whatever and then support drops back down to 300? I just don't see it.

The dev is aiming for the clouds. No one should expect to go full time with stuff like this. It needs to be a passion project. And if the dev lost his passion, one person injecting a lump sum to put it on life support doesn't bode to well. If he can form reasonable expectations and adjust his work schedule to not consume his entire free time and sanity, your potential bank rolling could go a long way.

KekWGgWP

Feb 9, 2018
I feel like i'm repeating myself far too many times on this which goes to show just how many delusional people get into adult games development.

The 1 and only thing you need to know when starting one of these games is you probably won't make a living doing it.

Those that earn enough to quit work and do it full time while making enough to live on are very few and far between. The majority of devs that pass through here are extremely lucky to earn 1k a month and that is the absolute most the majority will make.

Most will earn far less.

This isn't a career, it's a hobby at best. Even some of the more popular devs like Philly work full time and do this on the side because they know it's not a viable income source long term.

Sure there are those that bring in thousands a month but they are the exception not the rule. It doesn't matter how good your story is or how polished your renders are, if you haven't caught an audience then threatening to abandon your work if they don't start supporting isn't going to win you more, it's going to do the opposite.

The world is in shit state right now and the disposable income many people had months ago isn't there anymore. Most people are locked up at home on a fraction of their earnings hoping to keep a roof over their own heads and their own families fed. We're all worrying about the future and just how we're going to recover.

The simple fact is if you come into this expecting to make a living you are doing it wrong and setting yourself up for disappointment.

If you make any money at all you are luckier than most.
Exactly, he expects to create a living out of the game, while that isn't impossible but not a very easy thing to do either, i played the game and is simply amazing, the renders are sick and the story is the top cherry of this game, if he wants to make more money of it, he must find a way to make his game more popular so that other people can hear from it, i didn't even knew this game existed and i found it on myself after a long research and personally this game is superior compared to other games that i played and it's disappointing that this game doesn't deserve more credit, he force himself to make this a full time job but you just can't, at least not now, he should just treat this like a hobby and nothing else, at least for a time until he gets more support, and this takes time.

Amahl Farouk

May 13, 2018
I tell you what, if I had a game pulling in 400 dollars a month I would be well pleased. But I am a glass half full kind of guy

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
I tell you what, if I had a game pulling in 400 dollars a month I would be well pleased. But I am a glass half full kind of guy
if i have a game pulling in 200$ a month i'd be more than happy...and im glass half empty kind of guy.
it all depend on environment/country where are you from....;)

Reactions: User1230

alri

Mar 8, 2019
To be fair, the money value displayed on Patreon is before Patreon's own cut, which is probably somewhere in the 10-20% range.

So a dev would see 320-360$ of those 400$ and of 2000$ they would see 1600-1800$. And whatever taxes they have to pay in their country would come on top obviously.

Saramago

Sep 23, 2017
To be fair, the money value displayed on Patreon is before Patreon's own cut, which is probably somewhere in the 10-20% range.

So a dev would see 320-360$ of those 400$ and of 2000$ they would see 1600-1800$. And whatever taxes they have to pay in their country would come on top obviously.
Holy crap, Patreon takes that much?! I'm gonna make my own Patreonesque website with blackjack and hookers

alri

Mar 8, 2019
That is the very basic package which doesn't allow you to do very much, can't even set up tiers.

Medium package takes 8% and premium takes 12%.

Yeah, but the payment processing isn't included in that, which seems to be between 3-5%. And there is an additional 1% surcharge for Patreons outside the US, but I don't know how exactly that is handled, so lets ignore that for now.

So, I guess I overestimated the cut Patreon takes for itself a little, but together with payment processing it comes out to 11-13% for the medium package and 15-17% for the premium package.

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding something?

memoriable

Jul 1, 2017
you should probably reach out to the dev and try to come to some agreement if he bites. I don't know exactly how this milestone things work, but if he is looking for 2000 dollars a month, the game is as good as dead. You said you might even personally put up enough to reach that milestone, but i can't imagine it would be a perpetual monthly investment right? What's gonna happen after he releases the 0.8 or whatever and then support drops back down to 300? I just don't see it.

The dev is aiming for the clouds. No one should expect to go full time with stuff like this. It needs to be a passion project. And if the dev lost his passion, one person injecting a lump sum to put it on life support doesn't bode to well. If he can form reasonable expectations and adjust his work schedule to not consume his entire free time and sanity, your potential bank rolling could go a long way.
This exactly. I have no delusions that it would work out well in any other scenario.

4.20 star(s) 45 Votes