4.10 star(s) 45 Votes

RolandG.

Jul 26, 2020
Hey, can someone explain to me why this game was abandoned? :unsure:

I came across it today by chance and must say that I like the story very much.

Too bad that it obviously goes no further here....

Alfius

Engaged Member
Modder
Sep 30, 2017
Hey, can someone explain to me why this game was abandoned? :unsure:

I came across it today by chance and must say that I like the story very much.

Too bad that it obviously goes no further here....
The Dev got too little support (According to them) on Patreon and told told us that they will not be able to continue working on the current game with the current levels of support.

While I fully understand them not wanting to work further on the game when it's not covering their expenses, I think them starting a new game and hoping that this game will be the goose that lays the golden egg is the wrong way to go.

Extremely successful developers like DrPC, PhillyGames, MRDots etc. all have one completed game under their belt before their support shot through the roof. Some other devs struck it lucky, but the in general it takes time to build up your support. Abandoning your game and then starting a new one IMO is not the way to go to build your support.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
The Dev got too little support (According to them) on Patreon and told told us that they will not be able to continue working on the current game with the current levels of support.

While I fully understand them not wanting to work further on the game when it's not covering their expenses, I think them starting a new game and hoping that this game will be the goose that lays the golden egg is the wrong way to go.

Extremely successful developers like DrPC, PhillyGames, MRDots etc. all have one completed game under their belt before their support shot through the roof. Some other devs struck it lucky, but the in general it takes time to build up your support. Abandoning your game and then starting a new one IMO is not the way to go to build your support.
It's a good way to get a bad reputation, which once gained is nearly impossible to emerge from.

RolandG.

Jul 26, 2020

Thank you for the explanation.
Too bad, I had hope that it might still go on....

I also think that it just takes a while to build up a base of supporters.

And I'm afraid to give up this game and start a new one is not very conducive.

I personally find the new game nowhere near as interesting as the old one.

But well, everyone has their own taste and I can't change it either.

Alfius

Engaged Member
Modder
Sep 30, 2017
Thank you for the explanation.
Too bad, I had hope that it might still go on....

I also think that it just takes a while to build up a base of supporters.

And I'm afraid to give up this game and start a new one is not very conducive.

I personally find the new game nowhere near as interesting as the old one.

But well, everyone has their own taste and I can't change it either.
Not even going to try their new game. As per my earlier post, why even bother when there's a good chance that it will also get abandoned as well. They are already talking about not continuing the new game, if the support does not increase.

They are just burning all their bridges now. I agree that it's a shame. They are clearly very good developers, but not very good in building their brand. If their new game fails due to lack of support(And it will. Putting a gun to supporters heads is not the best way to get them to support you), they will loose all credibility in the adult game community (Like Gumdrop). I understand that they are just trying to be honest and upfront, but still a very bad play.

It really is a shame for me, as their game IMO is VERY, VERY good. (Ironically, their game has an Easter egg about another game that got abandoned!)

Firebeast

Dec 24, 2021
If I remember correctly all three mentioned devs first games whilst still in production made or had lots of support, definitely more than what Silk n Milk had with this game. So I do not agree with you here. Theirs had something I think that appeals to more fans.

Alfius

Engaged Member
Modder
Sep 30, 2017
If I remember correctly all three mentioned devs first games whilst still in production made or had lots of support, definitely more than what Silk n Milk had with this game. So I do not agree with you here. Theirs had something I think that appeals to more fans.
I will give you that, they had more support then this dev, but I also chose arguable some of the best developers out there.

Having said that:
Phillygames:
It took 18 months to get to 1000 Patrons (He has around 2800 now and has been developing for 4 years now)
1 game completed 1 in progress

Dr PinkCakes
It took 12 months to get to 1000 Patrons (He has 15000 now and has been developing for 4 years)
1 game complete 1 in progress

So you can see even the top developers did not get there instantly and as their reputation grew, their fanbase grew.

All that aside, lets compare him to a similar developer,

One that's more comparable to Silk n Milk is WillTylor [A Family Venture]:
He started in Jan 2019 (SnM started in Feb 2019)
It took him 9 months to get to 100 Patrons (It took SnM 14 months)
He now has been developing for 3 years now and is up to 425 Patrons and around $2000/m

SnM decided first to hold a gun to their fan's head... support or else...
Then they delivered on their promise and abandoned their game...
Then they started a new game expecting their old patrons to just onboard and for get about the previous kick to the nuts.

So their Patrons took a nosedive and even with the second project they have not recovered their numbers yet.
So after 3 years they now have 75 Patrons after 3 years (They probably would have had around 300 Patrons now, if they just continued with their existing project.)
Their Patreon numbers were growing quite nicely untill they started with their shit.

Look, I don't hate the devs. I fully understand abandoning a game. It's a shit ton of work to do one of these.
But me as a player also value my time. I don't want to invest my time in a game that probably will not be completed.
I even kinda understand them just trying to be honest with their supporters, but it comes across as a slap in the face for some fans of their game. It tells us the players that our time invested in their game does not matter to them and also the money that their patrons invested in the game also does not matter for them.

Obviously they are free to do what they want, but to shit on your fans is not the way to grow your fanbase.

You can say what you want about the other successful devs out there, but none of them has ever done something like that to their fans. In fact, I have seen several dev in the past giving their fans an ultimatum and not one of them were successful.

SnM had everything going for them to become one of the best devs out there, but they made sure to piss of a large section of their fanbase, that will be very hard to get back. Them starting a 2nd game after abandoning the first and them also (probably) abandoning the second project are ensuring that me and a lot of other players do not want to invest our valuable time into any future projects of theirs.

dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020
players do not want to invest our valuable time into any future projects of theirs.
I don't mind investing some time. Most of those games won't see completion anyway and will be abandoned before having a proper ending. I played hundreds of them, I would say not even 5% are completed. 5% are officially abandoned, and the rest is in development, with more or less success and more or less long update cycle

But I won't invest money in this dev's projects anymore.

Reactions: Alfius

Alfius

Engaged Member
Modder
Sep 30, 2017
I don't mind investing some time. Most of those games won't see completion anyway and will be abandoned before having a proper ending. I played hundreds of them, I would say not even 5% are completed. 5% are officially abandoned, and the rest is in development, with more or less success and more or less long update cycle

But I won't invest money in this dev's projects anymore.
Nah, I have become picky the last couple of years. I generally only start playing after about 6 months into development by the dev. Basically for 2 reasons: 1) less chance of the game being abandoned and 2)I just enjoy playing a big chunk of a game at once instead of 5-10 minutes each time for an update.

So this causes me to weed out most abandoned games. I still get those (Like this game, Gates Motel etc.), but my Completed to abandoned ratio is actually quite good.

If I look at my game ratings:
47 games have been completed (It does include a few short stories)
4 games have been abandoned (All of them heartbreaking. I do miss them terrible)

I used to also play hundreds of games and then play every update for those for 5-10 minutes per update.
But I learned a bit of patience and it mostly keeps me from being disappointed when a game get's abandoned. So my time investment in a game is actually important for me.

Firebeast

Dec 24, 2021
Believe me I am with you. Some developers abandon something that is actually very good for something they hope that will make faster/more money or just stop completely. As a player I'm also frustrated when a game i really enjoy is abandoned or even milked.

What would you say about developers that have been doing this since 2018 and their support is still very low. Their games are pretty damn good but somehow not supported by many. Developers like EvilUser, Jorrael, MrKnobb, Zee95, John and Rich etc...

Would you say they do not meet the requirements to be supported as those that have over 400 patrons ? I'm not going at you, just asking to her your thoughts.

I will give you that, they had more support then this dev, but I also chose arguable some of the best developers out there.

Having said that:
Phillygames:
It took 18 months to get to 1000 Patrons (He has around 2800 now and has been developing for 4 years now)
1 game completed 1 in progress

Dr PinkCakes
It took 12 months to get to 1000 Patrons (He has 15000 now and has been developing for 4 years)
1 game complete 1 in progress

So you can see even the top developers did not get there instantly and as their reputation grew, their fanbase grew.

All that aside, lets compare him to a similar developer,

One that's more comparable to Silk n Milk is WillTylor [A Family Venture]:
He started in Jan 2019 (SnM started in Feb 2019)
It took him 9 months to get to 100 Patrons (It took SnM 14 months)
He now has been developing for 3 years now and is up to 425 Patrons and around $2000/m

SnM decided first to hold a gun to their fan's head... support or else...
Then they delivered on their promise and abandoned their game...
Then they started a new game expecting their old patrons to just onboard and for get about the previous kick to the nuts.

So their Patrons took a nosedive and even with the second project they have not recovered their numbers yet.
So after 3 years they now have 75 Patrons after 3 years (They probably would have had around 300 Patrons now, if they just continued with their existing project.)
Their Patreon numbers were growing quite nicely untill they started with their shit.

Look, I don't hate the devs. I fully understand abandoning a game. It's a shit ton of work to do one of these.
But me as a player also value my time. I don't want to invest my time in a game that probably will not be completed.
I even kinda understand them just trying to be honest with their supporters, but it comes across as a slap in the face for some fans of their game. It tells us the players that our time invested in their game does not matter to them and also the money that their patrons invested in the game also does not matter for them.

Obviously they are free to do what they want, but to shit on your fans is not the way to grow your fanbase.

You can say what you want about the other successful devs out there, but none of them has ever done something like that to their fans. In fact, I have seen several dev in the past giving their fans an ultimatum and not one of them were successful.

SnM had everything going for them to become one of the best devs out there, but they made sure to piss of a large section of their fanbase, that will be very hard to get back. Them starting a 2nd game after abandoning the first and them also (probably) abandoning the second project are ensuring that me and a lot of other players do not want to invest our valuable time into any future projects of theirs.

Reactions: Alfius

Alfius

Engaged Member
Modder
Sep 30, 2017
Believe me I am with you. Some developers abandon something that is actually very good for something they hope that will make faster/more money or just stop completely. As a player I'm also frustrated when a game i really enjoy is abandoned or even milked.

What would you say about developers that have been doing this since 2018 and their support is still very low. Their games are pretty damn good but somehow not supported by many. Developers like EvilUser, Jorrael, MrKnobb, Zee95, John and Rich etc...

Would you say they do not meet the requirements to be supported as those that have over 400 patrons ? I'm not going at you, just asking to her your thoughts.
You actually struck a cord with me with this question, since I have been thinking about developing a game myself for a very long time as well. So it's actually quite personal to me.

So here is my answer:
First of, I'm quite a fan of several of those Devs you mentioned. Betrayed is one of my favourite games on here.

Developing an adult game just to make money, is a very risky time investment IMO. If it's not part passion project and part hopeful to strike gold and get paid as well, one should maybe not invest time into making a game at all.

I have checked out the figures for 3 of those guys. MrKnobb and Joraell are actually doing OK. They are now earning between $700-$1000 each. That is actually not too bad. If you also look at their growth over time, it's been steadily growing for a while now. Zee95's game have not taken of and he also started a new game. The thing is, there are no guarantees in this field. If he's in it for the money, maybe it would be time for him to call it a day. But he is probably also doing it, because he just like to do it.

In terms supporting these guys: Of course I support them! (Well, playing the game, not financially). They are all worthy of support. In terms of them abandoning their games due to low support, by all means I would fully understand it... BUT then to expect people to join your next project is going to be a challenge.

And that is what I'm saying SnM are basically shooting themselves in the foot. It is one thing to write a terrible game, then abandon it and start a new project that turns out to be pretty good, but what SnM did was abandoning a pretty good project to start another pretty good project all while putting their fans on an ultimatum. I just leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

Look, not all games are going to be successful (even good ones) but what devs like MrKnobb and Jaraell are showing is that you can still grow your game even at a very slow pace. While it's going up, it's going forward.

TLDR; I fully support all Devs no matter their size. Abandoning, while I fully understand a dev doing it, is pretty much bad for business. Giving ultimatums to your fans, doubly so.

Look, if SnM miraculously pulls out an amazing completed game, I will be all on board with them again. I just don't see it happening with how they are treating their fans and patrons. You can look at my rating, I was a huge fan of their game.

Alfius

Engaged Member
Modder
Sep 30, 2017
SilkandMilk would not like you, lmao.
Definitely not!!! I'm part of their problem.:ROFLMAO:

In all honesty, if it were not for this site, I would have never played/paid any of these games, including this one.

This Patreon gaming model along with F95 is a small adult game eco systems. I get that a lot of Devs hate this site due to Piracy, but the honest truth is that the Pirates would never have paid for their games regardless.

In F95, you have a springboard to get your game of the ground with no marketing or anything else needed from the Dev.
You can post any shit game on here and get at least 10k people having a look at it. What you get after that is dependent on a combination of how good your game is, writing, style and a good dose of luck. But at least F95 provides a platform for developers to give something a go.

One just needs to except that only a certain number of your player base actually would become patreons. That is the model that you basically need to accept in this eco-system. SnM were very aware of the business model when they started their game.

Mmccaw

Sep 7, 2019
People have said that this was a very good game and they can't see why they abandoned it. I have a different opinion it had potential, however the success of these games seems to revolve around the story and our ability to chose our own path not be forced in obvious directions. In other words the gamer should be able to chose if he wants to lick someone chocolate starfish or not, or if I want to spend my Honeymoon with complete strangers instead of my new bride. A good writer can obviously still keep the player on the overall desired path even when certain choices don't make it easy. Allowing women to grope you while next to your wife and on your honeymoon I dare say is something most real men would not do, but in this developers opinion we the gamer do not deserve a choice in the matter. Then like others have stated to abandon this game and start another will keep them from ever being one of the better game developers as the support will never be the same as it could have been for them. So good luck with your next effort but I don't think you'll get another chance from most players here.

Reactions: RancerSama
4.10 star(s) 45 Votes