Emerald_Gladiator

Jun 9, 2017
Sadly that doesn't happen a lot here. Thank you.

It was more then just pressing a button. I'm gonna try listing what i did:
snip
Yeah, I meant that most MTL "translators" just press a button in T++, not you.
While it does still seem like an edited MTL, especially based off of your changelog, that's totally fine with me as long as everything makes sense.

Reactions: Punyo

DBAV

Jul 22, 2017

• Used DeepL and Google Translate
  • Searched Japanese words that made no sense in the translation with Google Picture Search (to know what the word stands for and what it means, what i have to deal with and how does it fit in the story of the game)
  • Playtested it as much as i could to make sure the story isn't totally fucked up because of the translation
  • Sometimes even did "Japanese -> English -> German -> English" just to make sure the translated part made sense in some kind of way
  • Carefully edited only the needed parts of all the Scripts so that there (hopefully) will no game-breaking bugs or crashes (Thanks to Shisaye again for helping me getting the Quest Journal to work correctly)
  • Applied word-wrap manually, not automatically with TL++
I't wont be long before you are a respected translator at this rate, MTL is hated with passion here because a group of assholes have fun popping tens of unplayable unintelligible games, but if you are using programs as just a crutch you'll get the respect you deserve.

Vreejack

Oct 7, 2018
Game hangs randomly for me during scripted sections.
Edit: I was accidentally hitting the button that hides text.

Last edited:

BurgerGal

Dec 16, 2018
Needs Bestiality tag, there's a scene where mc gets fucked by a dog. Also orcs, slimes, and stuff if you count that as well.

Punyo

Jan 5, 2018

• Used DeepL and Google Translate
  • Searched Japanese words that made no sense in the translation with Google Picture Search (to know what the word stands for and what it means, what i have to deal with and how does it fit in the story of the game)
  • Playtested it as much as i could to make sure the story isn't totally fucked up because of the translation
  • Sometimes even did "Japanese -> English -> German -> English" just to make sure the translated part made sense in some kind of way
  • Carefully edited only the needed parts of all the Scripts so that there (hopefully) will no game-breaking bugs or crashes (Thanks to Shisaye again for helping me getting the Quest Journal to work correctly)
  • Applied word-wrap manually, not automatically with TL++
Blessed be you man.

Jokes aside, thanks for the translation, I tried some translating myself and I know how time consuming it is to get just parts of it right. I do agree that you should write an Edited MTL in your synopses, as far as I have seen those tend to be actually good. Even tho we have people triggered just by hearing MTL, dont mind them, they wouldnt be satisfied by anything honestly.

Keep it up man (y)

kingking00

Nov 1, 2016
I tried my best and playtested the first part of the game (Opening, first village Aberden, first city Glasbaran, running around, accepting quest, collecting items, fighting in the dungeons, etc.) I tried to make sure that the story makes sense, also in terms of translation. Some people actually played it and got no complaints so far.

So yes, it is translated using DeepL - but i put some effort into it, so it's not just some word spaghetti making no sense at all. For example DeepL often gives you two translated options/versions and if it is not working it just puts out "I don't know what to do" and stuff - i clearly made sure that this is not the case in this project.

This is my first "100% translated project" and english is not my motherlanguage, bare with me.
If it's an MTL then you really need to add that in the OP.

JustXuX

Modder
Jr. Uploader
Jan 13, 2020
Your effort is truly appreciated, however I personally think that your method should still be classified as "Edited MTL". At the end of the day, even DeepL can't get all the sentences properly and if you don't know Japanese catching the error with game's context alone would be borderline impossible.
I was preparing dataset for Sugoi AI and stumbled upon this:
The original Japanese:
`“スクールカースト”という言葉を、知っているだろうか?
運動能力、学力、容姿、ファッションなどカリスマ的要素を持つ学生が上級階層者として実権を握り、そして下級階層者を虐げる。`

The pro translation done by MangaGamer:
` They say there's winners and losers in life. `

The translation DeepL gives:
` Have you ever heard of the term "school caste"?
Students who are charismatic in terms of athletic ability, academic ability, appearance, fashion, etc. hold the upper echelons of power and oppress the lower echelons. `

Translation is not rocket science, and sometimes there's a lot of ways you can go about this. There's no one-size-fits-all approach in translation.
The closest to the Original is the Original itself. But the point is for you to be able to play the game and understand most of it.
Even in movies like Matrix there's errors in translation (English to Russian), done by PROs. Glad I know the original language. Otherwise you lose some important clues about the movie.

I agree on one thing, you have to know the language to some degree to make better and more accurate translations. The thing with using MTL as a base is that it takes more time to do a fan translation, since you need to understand and check meanings for each word sometimes. But in ero-games where story is just optional most of the times, or just straight garbage (word garbage, no better than MTL), it' doesn't affect the gameplay.

kingking00

Nov 1, 2016

Students who are charismatic in terms of athletic ability, academic ability, appearance, fashion, etc. hold the upper echelons of power and oppress the lower echelons.
You're arguing translation vs localization (the process of adapting something to give it more wide appeal). Nobody outside of japan knows what a "school castle" is so localizing it to something that people can better understand is fine

JustXuX

Modder
Jr. Uploader
Jan 13, 2020
You're arguing translation vs localization (the process of adapting something to give it more wide appeal). Nobody outside of japan knows what a "school castle" is so localizing it to something that people can better understand is fine
In case you missed it...
Translation is not rocket science, and sometimes there's a lot of ways you can go about this. There's no one-size-fits-all approach in translation.
The closest to the Original is the Original itself. But the point is for you to be able to play the game and understand most of it.

kingking00

Nov 1, 2016
In case you missed it...
I didn't miss anything. You're trying to argue that localizing and translating are the same thing when they're not. You're not translating a line when you rewrite it or change it's meaning like with a localization.

JustXuX

Modder
Jr. Uploader
Jan 13, 2020
I didn't miss anything. You're trying to argue that localizing and translating are the same thing when they're not. You're not translating a line when you rewrite it or change it's meaning like with a localization.
When did I say that localization is the same thing as translation? I just gave an example of how drastically different translations (localization is just a fancy translation) can be, but they should convey the same meaning. You can rewrite, paraphrase, delete some obscure things, but don't change the meaning that the author wants to convey.

12asdasdasd34

Jun 25, 2020
I was preparing dataset for Sugoi AI and stumbled upon this:
The original Japanese:
`“スクールカースト”という言葉を、知っているだろうか?
運動能力、学力、容姿、ファッションなどカリスマ的要素を持つ学生が上級階層者として実権を握り、そして下級階層者を虐げる。`

Students who are charismatic in terms of athletic ability, academic ability, appearance, fashion, etc. hold the upper echelons of power and oppress the lower echelons. `

Even in movies like Matrix there's errors in translation (English to Russian), done by PROs. Glad I know the original language. Otherwise you lose some important clues about the movie.

I agree on one thing, you have to know the language to some degree to make better and more accurate translations. The thing with using MTL as a base is that it takes more time to do a fan translation, since you need to understand and check meanings for each word sometimes. But in ero-games where story is just optional most of the times, or just straight garbage (word garbage, no better than MTL), it' doesn't affect the gameplay.

Thanks for your input. As someone who doesn't know Japanese and someone who used simillarlish methods OP used to make Edited MTLs, I realize the effort that goes into making a passable MTL. However when MTLs fail I tend to resort to guesstimate guesswork(not too often since MTL tools have gotten much better, but it still occurs) so I can't call my efforts a fan translation ultimately.

AAlso kudos on making a dataset for Sugoi tool. It already is really promising even at its current state.

Reactions: JustXuX
3.40 star(s) 7 Votes