VN Ren'Py Abandoned Private Cases - Case#2 [v0.2.01] [c_n]

4.60 star(s) 7 Votes

lionarslan

Jun 11, 2017
c_n
Played your game. I want to pay my respect, story and characters are really good, I enjoyed it. Maybe it's partly your English proofreader achievement, but story is so good I couldn't break from it till the end and I think that game has enough sex scenes (I found only one exactly), more sex scenes story don't needed. That's classic detective story like you read in books. Keep up your work, I already waiting for the next case.
But there are some small things. A couple of times Kaylee speaks a phrase in French, everyone (except player) understand her but what she says is still a mystery to me (game is too good to make a break and open Google translator). It'd be good if that phrase was translated in English too. Another thing about translation, I see you translate text in game, main menu and that's all. I wouldn't bother that dates on save files in French (it can widen my French vocabulary after all:) and when you overwrite your save file you see standard message abouit it in French but for some people it would be a problem. Well, the first problem for them would be to change language to English right from the start but I have no experience with RenPy as a coder so I can't give you a hint how to change default language.
Actually played your game twice (Ellie as daughter and Ellie as girlfriend) and hit with a strange thing: half of characters see Ellie as Hawk's daughter and another half - as Hawk's girlfriend while GF's path clearly worse (Ellie's trust not so high and there's no sex scene) with almost no difference in text and no difference at all in outcome. The way I see it - either Ellie is a prized posession (look but not touch, what a look in a shower she has) with no sexual relatons with Hawk or maybe some time later Hawk can become her lover but the price of it (in Ellie's trust and story elements) will be too high for players to pay. Of course, I speak only from my experience and my Hawk was good, really good (playing as a bag guy is not my thing) but after two playthroughs I saw it this way. Can you shed some light on Ellie's fate as Hawk's girlfriend?

Is it just me or is the whole "next cases" folder missing from the images folder?
Ren'Py spits out an error about a missing image:
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While loading <'Image' u'images/next cases/titre_case1_en.png'>:
  File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 414, in execute_pause
    renpy.with_statement(Pause(delay))
IOError: Couldn't find file 'images/next cases/titre_case1_en.png'.
And guess what? There is no folder named "next cases". (you'd have to extract rpa's first, obviousy, using unren or something else)
Yet the game seems to call out images from that folder quite a lot.
Same for me but it was two or three times right after prologue. Exactly the same image, I suppose path was changed but in the code link on picture still the same.

Can that insufferable twat Kaylie eventually get hit by a bus or something? She is so annoying and useless. :ROFLMAO:
Let's agree to disagree. Kaylee is so much fun, she's so annoying it's cute and charming. And she's not useless, it's good comedy element and thanks to Kaylee Ellie was accepted in JJ Jameson's school. :)

Reactions: partrice

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Same for me but it was two or three times right after prologue. Exactly the same image, I suppose path was changed but in the code link on picture still the same.
No, the path wasn't just changed, the folder has been deleted with its contents. There are no "titre_case" named images anywhere in the game.

I'm quessing the same folder from a previous version of this game could fix most or all of the missing "next cases" folder contents issue.
I only have this folder from the v0.04 of the game, though.

Copy of the missing folder from v0.04 contained all the missing images and allowed me to play the current version to its end without any other error messages popping up.
If you don't have access to previous versions or don't know how to extract what you need from there, here's a patch attached to this post with the missing images folder. Extract it to the root folder of the game (the main folder with the game launcher PrivateCases.exe and PrivateCases.sh in it).

To extract the archive archiver is recommended for Windows (use msi installer), for Mac.
Debian and its derivate users (Ubuntu and others) will have to install p7zip-full package to be able to extract the file
(sudo apt install p7zip-full)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pif paf and UncleVT

msleomac

Engaged Member
Feb 1, 2019
this is a good game. its developing nicely. but i'll hold my judgment and review after a couple of more updates.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

NovusPeregrine

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2017
This is well written, even the English translation being fairly decent (though there are one or two lines that seem not to have been translated at all). The renders/animations are pretty solid as well, though nothing spectacular, it's the writing that is really worth noting. I won't review it properly just yet, however, as there simply isn't enough to it yet. I hit the end of content with only a single sex-scene with one of several characters, despite pretty much maxing them all out. And, beyond that, all current content feels like little more than a prologue, establishing base character traits, introducing the cast, and proving background but little else.

ianpac

Oct 31, 2018
Pretty enjoyable story so far. I am hooked man cant wait to see more!!!! I'm curious about how this will progress? Is there goin to be multiple love options and is Ellie one of them? I did the daughter path for the better trust and will that eventually lead to something?

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
Really really good!! Gonna be following this one to see where it leads.

CrazyRabbit

Engaged Member
Oct 30, 2019
Very good game ; everything I love is in it : great characters, great story, engaging choices, etc...

Can't wait for next update :D

• Love
Reactions: Gary Bertrand

pothb

Jan 28, 2018
Ack, i hope not. This one seemed like it had so much potential.

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
Considering that the dev was online some hours ago, he could avoid his game being marked as Abandoned if he said something.
The rules are the rules.

c_n

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2018
Hello every ones,
Sorry for the disappointment. I'm still working on it but my computer is in his last days... renders takes a lot of time; when I can make them.
For now I'm looking for a way to change my computer. But I continue to write (a lot) .
I didn't give up and never will.
I have already write :
- 9 chapters of private cases
- 5 chapters of the next game
- Prologue and first chapter for the end of the whole story.

I wish I could make the renders as fast as I write but my computer don't want to follow.
It's not the end, I will come back :)

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
Hello every ones,
Sorry for the disappointment. I'm still working on it but my computer is in his last days... renders takes a lot of time; when I can make them.
For now I'm looking for a way to change my computer. But I continue to write (a lot) .
I didn't give up and never will.
I have already write :
- 9 chapters of private cases
- 5 chapters of the next game
- Prologue and first chapter for the end of the whole story.

I wish I could make the renders as fast as I write but my computer don't want to follow.
It's not the end, I will come back :)
Talk to a mod to mark this "On Hold" then instead of "Abandoned".

4.60 star(s) 7 Votes