Unity Abandoned Project: Virtuality [Combat Demo] [Hakamoru]

kaizoman

Jan 15, 2019
screenshots look really empty. huge town, but nothing besides buildings to see

Hakamoru

Game Developer
Mar 3, 2019
Hey, I'm on linux. I think I ran into a problem you may want to look into.

After talking to the girl with the tainted water and drinking it, I got teleported to the scene. Just after the intro of the scene (the girl telling me to enjoy it) the screen went black and never came back.
Hi! I'm sorry you had this problem. Did Unity crash? or just the screen faded to black until you had to quit? I'll try to look into this as soon as I have a Linux setup. Thanks for the heads up!

Be careful not to get too caught up in making different girls. Many a dev has fallen into the trap of having 10 different girls with barely any content. Better to have three interesting and fun girls then to have 10 unfinished girls.
I hear ya @marridreg! But don't worry, I've already began writing their stories. There won't be a character just for the sake of it, everyone's going to have a role to accomplish.

Already one of my favourites! You can actually DO something (as opposed to watching a slide show).
THANK YOU! That was one of the main reasons I started this project. Don't get me wrong, VNs are fine, but I wanted to make something more engaging, hence the creation of this project. I'm aware that there is a lot of room for improvement and that it ain't gonna be easy, but I believe that this can be tackled, specially since I've having so much fun doing this!

It looks cool but the collisions are weird, I am sure you left most objects without collision on purpose but even those that have a collision can be improved.

Correct me if I am wrong but most if not all of them have a mesh collider, right? For most objects having such accuracy is needless and sometimes counterproductive (other than the fact that they are costly), an example is the staircase: Having a ramp (45° box collider) would make the going up/down stairs smooth without requiring jumping AND it would be less costly.

Same goes for camera collisions, while in some cases I hate them, I think your game is spacious enough to have them as a polished touch (Unless you tested it out already and they are annoying, idk about that).

Another suggestion I would like to give you is to drop the unity launcher and make your settings menu, fully knowing that this is just a demo, a setting menu is basically one of the first things you should do because you can build from there rather than going back and forth on your old stuff and risk of forgetting a thing or two.

The rest is amazing and I cannot wait to see what other updates you will bring :) Good luck on your project!
First of all, thanks for your good wishes! They're always appreciated.

Yes, you're actually correct, the stairs use a mesh collider. I'll make sure to update this into a box collider for future versions! Other than that, rest are box colliders, so performance shouldn't be compromised at all.

Agreed, the camera could be better. It's definitely on my to-do list!

I wasn't planning on making my own settings menu yet, but you actually have a good point. I'll look into that!

Thanks for dropping your comment @aurick! Could you elaborate a bit more about the improvements? We can make this game so much better together ❤

Hey @kaizoman! Yeah, I know it looks a little bit empty. Worry not, tho! The objective of the tech demo is to showcase what functionalities the main release is going to have. Sure I could have made it prettier, but I rather spend more time developing the new characters, which I'm dying to show you guys!

fzdc

Jul 25, 2017
what do i do with the tainted water?
-talked to girl
-crafted green water
-can't do anything

Hakamoru

Game Developer
Mar 3, 2019
what do i do with the tainted water?
-talked to girl
-crafted green water
-can't do anything
You have to talk more the one time with the girl. Also, remember there are two 'endings'. In the first one you don't need the help of the Crafting NPC ;)

Very nice handjob animation, you're now on my watch list for handjobs!
I'm trying my best to make this game as awesome as possible. Thank you for your appreciation <3

The male's left hand in the last preview image is art
Haha! Thanks @omegabox!

Reactions: Disco-Inferno

aifman7

Oct 25, 2017
Looks interesting, and I applaud your decision to try and create a full fledged game rather than just a VN slideshow. I'm waiting to play this until it's a bit further along in development but will definitely be following your updates to watch its progress.

I just want to echo the other responder who suggested keeping the scope of the game manageable. Please don't try and introduce 10+ characters at once, as it drastically limits how much content you'll be able to produce within a reasonable time frame. Instead, try to flesh out your core game systems first to build a framework which you can more easily drop new characters and content in at a later date.

Don't do too much at once! It will increase the chance of burnout and can also risk turning players away if they try it "before it's ready" and find tons of placeholder stuff in the game or signs that say "Not yet implemented". Just a suggestion :)

Looking great so far, keep it up!

Reactions: Hakamoru

fzdc

Jul 25, 2017
You have to talk more the one time with the girl. Also, remember there are two 'endings'. In the first one you don't need the help of the Crafting NPC ;)

I'm trying my best to make this game as awesome as possible. Thank you for your appreciation <3

Haha! Thanks @omegabox!
i did talk again.
and again.
and again.
I talked 20 times.
Still asks me for my name and Nothing new.

Hakamoru

Game Developer
Mar 3, 2019
Looks interesting, and I applaud your decision to try and create a full fledged game rather than just a VN slideshow. I'm waiting to play this until it's a bit further along in development but will definitely be following your updates to watch its progress.

I just want to echo the other responder who suggested keeping the scope of the game manageable. Please don't try and introduce 10+ characters at once, as it drastically limits how much content you'll be able to produce within a reasonable time frame. Instead, try to flesh out your core game systems first to build a framework which you can more easily drop new characters and content in at a later date.

Don't do too much at once! It will increase the chance of burnout and can also risk turning players away if they try it "before it's ready" and find tons of placeholder stuff in the game or signs that say "Not yet implemented". Just a suggestion :)

Looking great so far, keep it up!
At first I was gonna do a VN, you know? lmao
Later on, when this project really takes off, I'm gonna tell you guys all about how the game changed from my originally planned VN slideshow idea to this ambitious game.

I'm aware of your concerns, I want too to keep it manageable. This project is like my baby and I don't want to burnout and just look at this as mere work and end up dropping everything. Instead, I see this game as the first of many, each one better than the last. This is my passion, this is what I truly want to do.

Now, about what I'm going to release.
The next demos will have new girls, but coupled with new game features. I won't be rushing anything out, don't worry!

i did talk again.
and again.
and again.
I talked 20 times.
Still asks me for my name and Nothing new.
That's weird.
Are you pressing enter after writing your name? What's your OS?

Interesting shading :sneaky: wanna see more
Thanks! I'll be uploading more content soon, hope you enjoy it as much! :D

fzdc

Jul 25, 2017
At first I was gonna do a VN, you know? lmao
Later on, when this project really takes off, I'm gonna tell you guys all about how the game changed from my originally planned VN slideshow idea to this ambitious game.

I'm aware of your concerns, I want too to keep it manageable. This project is like my baby and I don't want to burnout and just look at this as mere work and end up dropping everything. Instead, I see this game as the first of many, each one better than the last. This is my passion, this is what I truly want to do.

Now, about what I'm going to release.
The next demos will have new girls, but coupled with new game features. I won't be rushing anything out, don't worry!

That's weird.
Are you pressing enter after writing your name? What's your OS?

Thanks! I'll be uploading more content soon, hope you enjoy it as much! :D
Win10 64bit
She says goodbye and that's it.
I tried typing other names
i tried restarting.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
How is the development progressing?

If I may give you a suggestion, you should post more on your patreon, even if it is not an important update, it will look better if there are always fresh posts (as far as it is something worth writing a post for).

Hakamoru

Game Developer
Mar 3, 2019
as far as it is something worth writing a post for.
That's the catch @Winterfire.

I'm making progress for a new release soon and will keep you updated with a couple of teasers that I've planned for this weekend, but I don't want to show something unfinished for now.

As more content is available (and more people start following the game) I'll start posting more, asking for your feedback and sharing my ideas.

Rest assured, I'm working really hard on this ;)

oaklash

Jun 5, 2017
Would you be able to toss us another hint for the 2nd scene? I've tried to both raise and lower my relationship with her but to no avail.

Hakamoru

Game Developer
Mar 3, 2019
Would you be able to toss us another hint for the 2nd scene? I've tried to both raise and lower my relationship with her but to no avail.
You've got to talk with everyone.
There's a couple of NPC's besides the girl, try talking to them ;)

oaklash

Jun 5, 2017
I though that was the case, but I never found anyone. Guess I just gotta spend more time doing that. Thanks!