bloodmane

Dec 6, 2017
Maybe Eromancer likes to polish things first, then add new stuff later? However, I think this has going on for far too long and therefore makes the game somewhat monotonous -- doing the same thing over and over again just to get the new scene(s). Heck, I thought the Charger already got its own seggs animation at this point in their dev cycle! XD

How about you? What makes you think that building a beat 'em up game is "a very straightforward" process, even with templates circling around on the internet?

I have no qualifications in game design or video game programming, so I'd like to know what you think about it.
- with it being unity?(practically one search away for a backbone of this type of stuff. a lot of people has done this already)
- IN A WAY, a beat'em up is like a 2D top-down game with how you map things. (with just an additional jumping direction if that makes sense)
- that being said, mapping things up(collisions and such) is very straightforward(TECHNICALLY you would only have to consider X and Y). you wouldn't have much problems with weird collision bugs.(i guess that still depends on how clean your workflow is..) with hurtboxes being simple rectangles

and the fact that they haven't implemented special or complicated inputs yet.. everything is just on press, no input buffers whatsoever. or even auto-combos. the hurtboxes are most probably just static rectangles. from WHAT IVE SEEN the hurtbox doesnt even extend with your hitbox when you attack(or when anyone does something.)

the amount of gameplay they have right now, you can most probably copy paste from the internet. it has basic level of content. directional combo, spammable jabs, jumping, i-frames on dodge, running... literally most of these you can find already.

Maybe Eromancer likes to polish things first, then add new stuff later?
the game is far from polished though:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

LichG

Jan 15, 2019
Idk how many ppl in the Eromancer's party, but imho it would be much better if they will separate their duties, for example some ppl do new content and some ppl fixing the existing one.

KittyMaid

Jul 28, 2020
Wellll...Vioreaper has a semi-cuckold scene (I don't know how to call it, the way the 3x Vioreaper scene is done xD), so I guess a new fetish is in order? Seriously though, in past 6 months I think we got the bunny-girls enemies, first as background (or was it in April?) and then as a proper enemies without H-scene.

Technicaaaaaally... we can count larva+Vioreaper scene but not sure if it's in the game (seen it on on Twitter back in July, looks nice till the Vioreaper moves Onyx around, making larva "disappear" for no reason).

And yes, some folks are reporting any jokes and sensible comments, while mod is being too trigger happy at the same time. I've lost 5 posts so far :D
yes becuse her chest gets slammed to the ground so larva end up getting squished. poor larva :(

bloodmane

Dec 6, 2017
Idk how many ppl in the Eromancer's party, but imho it would be much better if they will separate their duties, for example some ppl do new content and some ppl fixing the existing one.
that's probably how it is set up.. it's just that i dont think they care enough to actually do a proper development cycle. i think we have established that this isnt a management issue.. because if it was, there would be way more content just a shoddy one. Right now we don't even have that much content..

Reactions: Christin Eleven

CourierNPC

Jul 12, 2017
And then they said That'd put so much strain on our progress getting the game done by the month where our current workload is big enough to stress people out due to doing different things one at a time.

• Haha
Reactions: LichG

Buziol

Jun 5, 2017
yes becuse her chest gets slammed to the ground so larva end up getting squished. poor larva :(

I want to think it was just pure laziness...the idea of Onyx having squished remains of bugs in her tits is something even I am not prepared for...

I mean, he'd probably run out of polishing agent by the time the game's milked dry
This, once again, shows the main problem with this project - TOO much polish (and that comes from a polish guy :D ).

Seriously, it reminds me of how I was yelled at by my boss back when I was a lowly worker, cleaning the chrome railings at an amusement park. He told me something that stuck with me to this day - "Don't waste time making it shiny, just one swipe and move. No one is going to appreciate your work here ".

Just like those railings, no one cares about tiny tweaks in your projects, not by a long shot. Features matter, the functionality.

Reactions: Discontented

KittyMaid

Jul 28, 2020
These are all the members :3

* Eromancer - Project Manager and Artist
* AltairPL - Programmer
* TK - Rigger and 3D Artist
* Mr. Kittyhawk - Programmer
* Limbo Limbo - 2D & Concept Artist
* Zydaline - Environment Artist
* Xxoom - Concept & Environment Artist
* TMX - Combat Animator
* LewdK - Sound Effects
* Brum - UI Animator and Shader Artist
* Gifdoozer - H Scene Animator
* Penapsquat - H Scene Animator
* Kame - 3D Character Artist
* Demonu - 3D Character Artist

Reactions: Trocadero123

Discontented

Mar 19, 2018
I was being generous, yes.

Destructible stuff is in the form of barrels that drop either equipment or healing items, there wasn't any mention of adding moans or a new clothing line as far as I know since Eromancer, as I said before, has a hard-on for bugfixes rather than introducing content(s) as a way to get more feedback from the people and their patrons alike, though I'm not sure whether that's effective or not

As for the destructible items, I'd say it's still in the very early stage(s) of development while everything else left in the backburner, probably too long than it should've been.
I was being partially facetious; that's the entire meme with this game, never-ending "development." Of course I'm well aware features like those will never get added, those were just examples of content that could be added that would actually be cool additions to the game, and would make it feel like it's actually being worked on. It's obvious to me that he's just milking his Patreon while cranking out "bugfixes" as updates rather than actually adding content, because backend tweaks are changes no one would ever really notice, and as such requires the least amount of effort to keep the cash flowing in. Why do you think he's not even bothering to post changelogs anymore? Combine greed with laziness, this is what you get.

And sadly, I see this kind of behavior in game devs with maddening frequency.

CourierNPC

Jul 12, 2017

* AltairPL - Programmer
* TMX - Combat Animator
* LewdK - Sound Effects
So, they got 2 Programmers, 1 Combat Animator, and 1 Sound FX guy

Interesting...

bloodmane

Dec 6, 2017
Suspect the bulk of those are just freelancers, Eromancer just pays for the work done that month (if any).
gifdoozer is almost guaranteed to be only commissioned for this, not hired.

I HIGHLY doubt the environment artists are main stay. The sounds effects too as evidently that there's next to no new sound effects since release of first version. UI animator... really? that's some VERY specific title. Since most of the character models have the same size(at least the females) i doubt the rigger is main stay too. Half of these are probably commissioned once eromancer feels like adding new content.. (which we can literally see by now that there's really not much so you can guess where the money goes to..)

Last edited:

KittyMaid

Jul 28, 2020
So, they got 2 Programmers, 1 Combat Animator, and 1 Sound FX guy

Interesting...
yes and this was the latest news about the programmer:

"AltairPL is getting center stage attention this month for victory in what's been a months long battle with Unity's decrepit asset loading systems.

Our custom Bethesda-style database system has been at odds with Unity's default loading system after we found it dragged everything referenced by the database (the whole game effectively) into memory at startup... only to immediately spit it out saying its not needed (great design Unity). The result was a long startup time that grew longer with each content addition. Even worse, Unity did this on a single thread, so we couldn't even display a loading graphic. On slow machines Windows would even give an "app not responding" message.

This whole section of Unity is incredibly opaque and often without documentation, but after several reworks we've had success with Unity's new-ish "Addressables" system, which if you can believe it, gives developers control over what to load and when. Brilliant. A+.

The downside is it required a complete overhaul of our project asset hierarchy, as in all its wisdom Unity would try to load everything twice -- once through addressables, and once through its regular system. Fantastic. This meant resolving 64,000 instances of duplicate loading. And AltairPL has succeeded :D.

The results?

Startup time heavily reduced, with more improvements coming as we utilize the following benefits.
We can load what we want, when we want. Startup time won't increase as we add content once we are making full use of this.
RAM consumption reduced by 20%
Asynchronous (multi-threaded) loading. We can load in the background without hanging the system.
Can now add far better startup screens"

Buziol

Jun 5, 2017

* AltairPL - Programmer
* TMX - Combat Animator
* LewdK - Sound Effects
Assuming this is true (which most likely isn't), that they are at least part-time members of the team and not contracted ones...you do realize this alone would make any argument about their slow progress invalid? Like, this project is nowhere near the state it should be with that team on board.

Also, again, assuming it is true, if the size of the team is an issue, it is 100% fault of the project manager that has no idea how to manage assets available to him.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

yes and this was the latest news about the programmer:

"AltairPL is getting center stage attention this month for victory in what's been a months long battle with Unity's decrepit asset loading systems.

Our custom Bethesda-style database system has been at odds with Unity's default loading system after we found it dragged everything referenced by the database (the whole game effectively) into memory at startup... only to immediately spit it out saying its not needed (great design Unity). The result was a long startup time that grew longer with each content addition. Even worse, Unity did this on a single thread, so we couldn't even display a loading graphic. On slow machines Windows would even give an "app not responding" message.

This whole section of Unity is incredibly opaque and often without documentation, but after several reworks we've had success with Unity's new-ish "Addressables" system, which if you can believe it, gives developers control over what to load and when. Brilliant. A+.

The downside is it required a complete overhaul of our project asset hierarchy, as in all its wisdom Unity would try to load everything twice -- once through addressables, and once through its regular system. Fantastic. This meant resolving 64,000 instances of duplicate loading. And AltairPL has succeeded :D.

The results?

Startup time heavily reduced, with more improvements coming as we utilize the following benefits.
We can load what we want, when we want. Startup time won't increase as we add content once we are making full use of this.
RAM consumption reduced by 20%
Asynchronous (multi-threaded) loading. We can load in the background without hanging the system.
Can now add far better startup screens"
Do you even understand what it all means? I have serious suspicion that you don't and you just choose to believe. I'll remind you that this game is not their first attempt...

KittyMaid

Jul 28, 2020
Assuming this is true (which most likely isn't), that they are at least part-time members of the team and not contracted ones...you do realize this alone would make any argument about their slow progress invalid? Like, this project is nowhere near the state it should be with that team on board.

Also, again, assuming it is true, if the size of the team is an issue, it is 100% fault of the project manager that has no idea how to manage assets available to him.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Do you even understand what it all means? I have serious suspicion that you don't and you just choose to believe. I'll remind you that this game is not their first attempt...
The first game was started by Eromancer alone and is serving as the back for the current game, they also are working on another side project "XXXIV". MATM is their ultimate project that will blend with Pure Onyx. This is a concept animation from upcoming character "Malice" from pervious game that will be added to Pure Onyx.

Last edited:

KaraokeLoki

Apr 9, 2018
The first game was started by Eromancer alone and is serving as the back for the current game, they also are working on another side project "XXXIV". MATM is their ultimate project that will blend with Pure Onyx.
Imagine working on a side project when you cant even put out sizable updates on your "main side-project". I have the foresight to see that they would honestly just stop working on Pure Onyx to go back to MATM when this starts to run dry. Which it won't cause people are still funneling fsr.

Thanks for the info though. Had no idea they were working on something else in between. All the more reason to JUDGE.

KittyMaid

Jul 28, 2020
Imagine working on a side project when you cant even put out sizable updates on your "main side-project". I have the foresight to see that they would honestly just stop working on Pure Onyx to go back to MATM when this starts to run dry. Which it won't cause people are still funneling fsr.

Thanks for the info though. Had no idea they were working on something else in between. All the more reason to JUDGE.
Yes currently they working on new models, combat animations, and new environments with many bigfixing in between so that each thing fits together as they are implemented.

bloodmane

Dec 6, 2017
side project after side project after side project....

i HIGHLY doubt they will ever go back to MATM. my guess would be just another """side project""" after the milk runs dry. i like how they are doing another side project (THAT BY THE WAY HASNT SEEN THE LIGHT OF DAY) when they couldnt even put a proper update on their current one.

2.80 star(s) 76 Votes