Lordnightwolf

Feb 5, 2023
Everyone here is being really odd about this game, everyone is just shitting on them so much, why is everyday we have to see their something odd about what is going on right now.

Reactions: KittyMaid

rammby

May 15, 2018
All monthly progress updates are mostly reposts. There's so much old concept art that he can do this for many years to come.
And to play Devil's Advocate... (I'm not defending Eromancer, just doing this for shits and giggles) "technically" he isn't lying. He's never set up a release date for any game improvement/update, and those reposts are stilll WIPs.

But for those that are still on the fence... Pure Onyx was officially announced on September 2018. Check out this image:
View attachment 2394314

It's from June 2017 (and Eromancer mentioned in a November 2016 post that she was a WIP).
The leftmost image is the base for the Pure Onyx's game main screen animation. Note that the in-game character has been modified (no longer has the knee-pad and the leg tatoo) but the main screen still has it (you need to use BepInEx or a similar program to zoom it out)
I know this was supposed to be a MatM character, and that Pure Onyx is a spinoff from MatM, but still... this is the level of content recycling he does.
So much wasted potential...
does anyone know which toolchain he uses to do his/her work?
i want to learn that too and be the good eromancer

KittyMaid

Jul 28, 2020
All monthly progress updates are mostly reposts. There's so much old concept art that he can do this for many years to come.
And to play Devil's Advocate... (I'm not defending Eromancer, just doing this for shits and giggles) "technically" he isn't lying. He's never set up a release date for any game improvement/update, and those reposts are stilll WIPs.

But for those that are still on the fence... Pure Onyx was officially announced on September 2018. Check out this image:
View attachment 2394314

It's from June 2017 (and Eromancer mentioned in a November 2016 post that she was a WIP).
The leftmost image is the base for the Pure Onyx's game main screen animation. Note that the in-game character has been modified (no longer has the knee-pad and the leg tatoo) but the main screen still has it (you need to use BepInEx or a similar program to zoom it out)
I know this was supposed to be a MatM character, and that Pure Onyx is a spinoff from MatM, but still... this is the level of content recycling he does.
So much wasted potential...
He has a lot of concept and he's made it clear to all of us, he's not hiding anything. This issue is programming, you can't add any content without programming. I mentioned on a pervious post he requires more programmers. He has 10+ artist but, 2 programmers. As of recent he's found 2 new ones, the code is very long so they still need to learn and catch up.

Ironfoot

Jun 7, 2017
He has a lot of concept and he's made it clear to all of us, he's not hiding anything. This issue is programming, you can't add any content without programming. I mentioned on a pervious post he requires more programmers. He has 10+ artist but, 2 programmers. As of recent he's found 2 new ones, the code is very long so they still need to learn and catch up.
Rly? With the budget he gets he was unable to find decent programmers? Say here is 1 grand per month and any programmer would say 'yes'. Even if he is not scamming he is just plain stupid and doesn't deserve to lead a game developer team.

Reactions: bloodmane

Yojimbo543

Feb 25, 2021
So you change the subject, again. Ok, let's assume the issue at hand is the lack of programmers.
Imagine someone opens a restaurant with 10+ cooks and only 2 waiters. Do you think that the restaurant would still make $20K/month after 9 years? Or, for that matter, that the restaurant would still be open?
So after 9 years "making games" Eromancer finally realized that a Game and an Art Gallery aren't the same, and recently hired 2 more programmers. Better late than never, I guess.
I hope his next step is to hire a Project Lead Manager that understands priorities when it comes to making a game.

However, if he has so many artists, why does he repost and repackage so much old concept art? Why doesn't he have tons of new concept art every month? In my previous post I mentioned the main game screen model being the old model (with the knee-pad and tattoo). How much programming does it take to replace it?

But let's imagine the situation was reversed, he had 10+ programmers and only 2 artists. Then the game would be the best Beat 'em Up ever made, but with shitty animation, right?
The problem now is that the game is barely playable (understandable with few programmers) but it's also lacking in "artistic" content. How much programming is required to add more H-scenes to the gallery? I'll answer that question myself: not much. The MaleCop model has been in the gallery since September 2021, why isn't there an Onyx+MaleCop animation? What about the revamped Thug+Onyx H-animation and the Runt+Onyx H-animation they were working on April 2021? Both of them announced in this post:

In 2022 we got censored versions of the existing animations, and 4 "new" animations. Vioreaper, Vioreaper+Larva, 2x Vioreaper and 3x Vioreaper. Leaving aside that those aren't 4 new animations, but just 1 with slight variations, why is the development so slow for things that require minimum programming?
What about backgrounds? Does adding background stages require a lot of programming too?

And what about XXXIV? Those are 100% animations. ZERO programming involved. What happened to them?

I agree that lack of programmers can create a bottleneck and slow down development. But Eromancer's issue goes far beyond that. Pure Onyx is completely mismanaged. There is clear talent at work, but they're running in circles and wasting resources without a competent leader.

bloodmane

Dec 6, 2017
the code is very long for a beat em up you say..... could you at least try to learn how to code.... you'd know how that is not true. the game barely has any mechanics. what would possibly make the code long. when THERE'S LITERALLY LITTLE TO NO MECHANICS AT ALL.

why do people that has no knowledge of programming make comments like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yojimbo543
Apr 29, 2018
I'll give Eromancer this much: he's stuck to Pure Onyx far longer than he did Malise and the Machine.

I can appreciate all the arguments regarding how long it takes to develop games, maybe even justify how slow progress is given certain assumptions (which I won't bother giving because I'm not here to defend Eromancer), but all of those are irrelevant due to the simple fact that he took money for Malise and never delivered a finished product.

It's not that people don't understand indie game development, it's Eromancer's own history that's weighing him down. If he doesn't want to be called a scammer, he either needs to finish Malise or refund people who supported him for it - of course, the latter's not going to happen and the former will get him accused of abandoning Pure Onyx, so he's screwed either way.

But that's a corner he painted himself into.

KittyMaid

Jul 28, 2020
So you change the subject, again. Ok, let's assume the issue at hand is the lack of programmers.
Imagine someone opens a restaurant with 10+ cooks and only 2 waiters. Do you think that the restaurant would still make $20K/month after 9 years? Or, for that matter, that the restaurant would still be open?
So after 9 years "making games" Eromancer finally realized that a Game and an Art Gallery aren't the same, and recently hired 2 more programmers. Better late than never, I guess.
I hope his next step is to hire a Project Lead Manager that understands priorities when it comes to making a game.

However, if he has so many artists, why does he repost and repackage so much old concept art? Why doesn't he have tons of new concept art every month? In my previous post I mentioned the main game screen model being the old model (with the knee-pad and tattoo). How much programming does it take to replace it?

But let's imagine the situation was reversed, he had 10+ programmers and only 2 artists. Then the game would be the best Beat 'em Up ever made, but with shitty animation, right?
The problem now is that the game is barely playable (understandable with few programmers) but it's also lacking in "artistic" content. How much programming is required to add more H-scenes to the gallery? I'll answer that question myself: not much. The MaleCop model has been in the gallery since September 2021, why isn't there an Onyx+MaleCop animation? What about the revamped Thug+Onyx H-animation and the Runt+Onyx H-animation they were working on April 2021? Both of them announced in this post:

In 2022 we got censored versions of the existing animations, and 4 "new" animations. Vioreaper, Vioreaper+Larva, 2x Vioreaper and 3x Vioreaper. Leaving aside that those aren't 4 new animations, but just 1 with slight variations, why is the development so slow for things that require minimum programming?
What about backgrounds? Does adding background stages require a lot of programming too?

And what about XXXIV? Those are 100% animations. ZERO programming involved. What happened to them?

I agree that lack of programmers can create a bottleneck and slow down development. But Eromancer's issue goes far beyond that. Pure Onyx is completely mismanaged. There is clear talent at work, but they're running in circles and wasting resources without a competent leader.
You're doing the same thing you accused him of doing by repackaging same statements people have made. I don't know how you missed something so obvious. I'm not changing subject, you're just trying to get your point across by ignoring mine. I don't know why you are "imagining" or "assuming" or whatever when you can join his Discord and find the answers instead "imagining" your own. You also can't speak on programming or animating when you do none yourself. It's like getting medical advise from a bartender, you're not in the industry to carry any credit. XXXIV is not a main priority i don't know how you're able to go back to September 2021 and still miss that. The gallery is also getting a cinematic update so yes it requires programming since the game is not full 3D, again how did you miss that. Why are you answering your own questions with wrong answers? Do the research it's not difficult.
If all he does is repost then show me the repost for rings girls or spiders models that he just posted. You like to find excuses to nag and completely ignore the progress. If you care this much post on his discord that's where we all discuss the game. You won't get anything from talking in this echo chamber.

KittyMaid

Jul 28, 2020
Rly? With the budget he gets he was unable to find decent programmers? Say here is 1 grand per month and any programmer would say 'yes'. Even if he is not scamming he is just plain stupid and doesn't deserve to lead a game developer team.
Do you not realize what a huge assets a programmer is? They can do much better things then then work on a project that even Patreon doesn't fully approve. You think its a lot because probably you earn less but they can earn way much more working else where. In the end people care more about their own success than a game. The people that are with him want be not need to be with him.

CourierNPC

Jul 12, 2017
Everyone here is being really odd about this game, everyone is just shitting on them so much, why is everyday we have to see their something odd about what is going on right now.
I mean, boogaloo in-game developments often exist and if nobody pointed them out and start 'opening them eyes' for ya, you'd be left in the dark with money spent on something else other than the project itself

There is quality in this game, it's just that they forgot to hire managers to make short-term, mid-term, and long-term goals for their AAAA quality threshold that they so desperately needed to fulfill.

Did you find enjoyment in this game? Sure, go ahead, fap to Onyx 'till ayy lmaos probed your ass and the goatse can be seen from miles. I certainly don't enjoy the game at the moment. I'll wait for another two years just to be on the safe side.

As far as I care, everyone can say whatever the hell they want about this project -- you don't like them here? Here are two good buttons to help the bubble stay afloat and not burst into pieces:
1676607118986.png

Apr 29, 2018
It's only this forum that says that which is very ironic.
Here and ULMF, but is there anywhere else that Eromancer is discussed about in any capacity? All of his announcements for new builds on subreddits have pretty minimal engagement and posts on his Patreon page are, naturally, going to be rather self-selective.

That aside, does that even matter? Are you denying the fact that he ditched Malise after just two years despite taking money for it? Do you disagree this behavior invites skepticism into all of his future works until he addresses it?

CourierNPC

Jul 12, 2017
Do you not realize what a huge assets a programmer is?
I don't think Ironfoot undermines the work of the current programmers and coders for Pure Onyx. Going by Ironfoot's example, I think what he meant by that is that there are coders who would love to take the job for a thousand dollars to help with Pure Onyx's bottleneck and overall snail's pace development progress, and with that help inbound, the better workflow and overall progress.

I understand that programmers are a huge asset for any game development team as they are who act as one of the foundations of a working project, although having too many people in the same department while the other suffers is not really a good look.

As always, correct me if I'm wrong

Last edited:
2.80 star(s) 76 Votes