4.00 star(s) 22 Votes

JueJue95

Aug 11, 2019
I've played with my moded version of the file from start to finish without any issue, so don't know why it crashes on you. Just want to make sure you are applying it to the version 0.8.5f, since if it were applied to other versions, I think you would get a frankestein of a game due to how the game is coded. Every interaction system is coded individually on the file, thus the inconsistency of the softlocks when speaking with characters on previous builds. Hope to see that he's working on standarizing code that would ease the addition of new characters, interactions and bug hunting. However, that could limit specific events.

It shouldn't matter, but since I don't know anything let's try. Say what graphics options you set at the starting of the game and I'll try to play with those. I play windowed 1176x664 on "Good" quality. I doubt it's related to those options if the original game does not crashes on you, but don't know why would crash the ESC menu. As far I remember, I did not touch anything of that functionality. In any case, some of the cheats like half of the DW are original from the game, it's just not mention anywhere as far I know.
I'll redownload the one from here unless there's a newer version and try again

(edited) - I downloaded the one from here and it didn't seem to work u.u
Do you have a working link by chance?

Last edited:

RTS23

Apr 10, 2018
I'll redownload the one from here unless there's a newer version and try again

(edited) - I downloaded the one from here and it didn't seem to work u.u
Do you have a working link by chance?
I also downloaded the 0.8.5f version from here if I recall correctly (first post that gets updated with newer builds, the Win64 option, since Win32 only has the 0.8.4c version), so don't know why it crashes on you. Certainly it is a strange bug crashing only when opening the ESC menu. Don't know how to help you. It's probably futile, but will detail every step on the installation, if for whatever reason you did something else.

1- Go to the game folder (where it is the R-Life.exe), and go to R-Life_Data/Managed.
2- Here should be a file named "Assembly-CSharp.dll", just rename it as "Assembly-CSharpORIGINAL.dll".
3- Take the moded "Assembly-CSharp.dll" file from my download and put it where was the original file at R-Life_Data/Managed.
4- Start the game.

I doubt you did something else, since I tried to play the game without the "Assembly-CSharp.dll" file and it does not advance from the title screen, so it cannot be the installation process. If you find something about this bug, feel free to come again to share it, because I don't know how to help you any further.

JueJue95

Aug 11, 2019
I also downloaded the 0.8.5f version from here if I recall correctly (first post that gets updated with newer builds, the Win64 option, since Win32 only has the 0.8.4c version), so don't know why it crashes on you. Certainly it is a strange bug crashing only when opening the ESC menu. Don't know how to help you. It's probably futile, but will detail every step on the installation, if for whatever reason you did something else.

1- Go to the game folder (where it is the R-Life.exe), and go to R-Life_Data/Managed.
2- Here should be a file named "Assembly-CSharp.dll", just rename it as "Assembly-CSharpORIGINAL.dll".
3- Take the moded "Assembly-CSharp.dll" file from my download and put it where was the original file at R-Life_Data/Managed.
4- Start the game.

I doubt you did something else, since I tried to play the game without the "Assembly-CSharp.dll" file and it does not advance from the title screen, so it cannot be the installation process. If you find something about this bug, feel free to come again to share it, because I don't know how to help you any further.
After a long time, here are the steps I followed:

1.- I downloaded the game from here, the version is 0.8.5f as seen there and seen in game, too (I dunno if the "patreon fix" version has something to do with all of this)
2.- I replaced the dll as you mentioned, leaving the original file just in case
3.- I booted a new game, the game loads normally
4.- When I press the Esc Menu nothing shows up, only the mouse

So, i dunno man. At this point I'd better ask you for your copy of your game or I'm just doing something obviously stupid enough to not notice :\

RTS23

Apr 10, 2018
After a long time, here are the steps I followed:

1.- I downloaded the game from here, the version is 0.8.5f as seen there and seen in game, too (I dunno if the "patreon fix" version has something to do with all of this)
2.- I replaced the dll as you mentioned, leaving the original file just in case
3.- I booted a new game, the game loads normally
4.- When I press the Esc Menu nothing shows up, only the mouse

So, i dunno man. At this point I'd better ask you for your copy of your game or I'm just doing something obviously stupid enough to not notice :\
This is my game folder, so the save file has pretty much everything done. You can try to click on continue and see if the ESC menu works or try a "New game." If the problem persist, the problem is on your end. Probably you have the ESC key binded to another program, thus, getting out of the game but not getting to the ESC menu.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

EDIT: My apologies, thought that I set the file to be public, but it was under permission. Now anyone should be able to access without problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: JueJue95

Akrey

Jun 27, 2017
I can't press anything in the menu when I launch the game. New Game, Load Game, Credits, Quit - nothing works

RTS23

Apr 10, 2018
I can't press anything in the menu when I launch the game. New Game, Load Game, Credits, Quit - nothing works
That happened to me if there is no "Assembly-CSharp.dll" file on "R-Life_Data/Managed" path, so make sure there is always a .dll with that name, whether if it is the original or a moded version of the file.

In case where you did not touch anything, try re-downloading the game from the same site or different. Or who knows? Did you find any problem with other Unity games previously?

Akrey

Jun 27, 2017
That happened to me if there is no "Assembly-CSharp.dll" file on "R-Life_Data/Managed" path, so make sure there is always a .dll with that name, whether if it is the original or a moded version of the file.

In case where you did not touch anything, try re-downloading the game from the same site or different. Or who knows? Did you find any problem with other Unity games previously?
Assembly-CSharp.dll was there but still didn't work. All other Unity games worked fine. Buuut I redownloaded it from a different site and it works now. Still kinda weird

Aug 21, 2019
None as of today, Oct 5th. The last post was Aug 30th, and that was the poll asking if people had played the dreamworld. I don't know if anyone on here is still supporting. I personally stopped supporting last month.
You were the only one here relaying info actively and helping people out. I'm surprised you lasted this long to be honest. Mad respect to you.

Reactions: MatthewBob
Jun 13, 2018
You were the only one here relaying info actively and helping people out. I'm surprised you lasted this long to be honest. Mad respect to you.
Honestly, the entire situation with the game had gotten out of hand back in 2020, and I'm surprised that more people haven't jumped ship as of yet. I did notice more patrons start to verbally berate or question the dev in the comments section on Patreon, so hopefully either more people back out or the dev finally gets their shit together.

I was okay with contributing a bit of money each month so long as there was an indication that stuff was being worked on. When Covid started, it was still fine for me because with everything closed down I really didn't have anything to spend money on at that point, and again, there was still some hope because there were some updates and communications. At this point, the possible endings for this project are:

a) the dev isn't going to deliver on a new build and we get the perpetual variations of excuses;
b) the dev disappears completely (wouldn't be the first time someone's walked away from a project with no indication); or
c) at some point with no heads up, the dev will just provide the new build.

I'd hope for the latter option, but when it's been under a status of "just a month" since the beginning of 2020, it's certainly concerning.

That being said, I'd have kept supporting the dev if they:

i) Actually had regular communications with their patrons;
ii) Released some builds showing their progress, even for minor things like new mechanics or combat builds, which they did during previous version updates such as the previous dungeons, the dreamworld, the zombie event, and the gardening additions; and
iii) Were honest with how badly they've fucked up their development cycle and process. More than likely, they've reached a point where their code is spaghetti, and they either lack the know-how to fix it, are too stubborn to get help, or just think they can do it, which is leading to a continuous development cycle of "Oh no, I've got to fix the bugs".

Notably, in the past 4 months or so, there were several Patrons who were asking the dev if they needed assistance with the game to help with bug testing, like releasing a current-status build and then starting to hunt for bugs. The dev never directly responded to them, but other Patrons did, saying things like "oh, let the dev work, that way it'll be bug free." Of course, that's not going to happen. There's only so many bugs the dev can fix by themself, let alone find them in the first place. Even if the dev spends well into 2022 working on the game, the first build that comes out is going to have problems.

But goddamn, at this point I'd like the dev to prove me wrong.

terroralpha

May 1, 2017
None as of today, Oct 5th. The last post was Aug 30th, and that was the poll asking if people had played the dreamworld. I don't know if anyone on here is still supporting. I personally stopped supporting last month.
i stopped supporting about a year ago, after like 7 or 8 months of no releases. in retrospect, i wish i had stopped earlier. it will take one heck of a release to get me back on board.

Larawara

May 2, 2021
i stopped supporting about a year ago, after like 7 or 8 months of no releases. in retrospect, i wish i had stopped earlier. it will take one heck of a release to get me back on board.
It's a shame, this game has certainly come quite a long way from it's beginnings, and from what I played it showed a lot of promise. I hope the dev can pick it back up soon.

MatthewBob

Jun 30, 2018
why didn't mark this as abandon?
The project isn't abandoned per se, since the developer is still giving signs of life every 3-4 months. Progress is just extremely slow since the last build due to his alleged health issues and him entirely rebuilding the code.

4.00 star(s) 22 Votes