GamingSavant

Jun 11, 2017
Rance can be dark but it ain't clock-up or Empress games. The big thing is that while Rance is a rapist and a sadist, he's shown to do it out of self fulfillment (and in his opinion, the girls he has sex with, who he genuinely thinks are better off after sleeping with him) and acts like a mischevious brat in an adult body more than anything else. He absolutely despises cruelty towards women, to the point where he goes into a blind fury if he finds someone torturing women; hell even some men getting tortured doesn't sit right with him (especially if it's one of the few male friends he's made in his entire life). He also despises lolicons, because while he will grab ladies while they're still young, he still respects (Japanese) law and believes girls should remain pure until they come of age (in which case he'll gladly H them himself), one reason why he dislikes Katsuie Shibata.

Another thing he disapproves of is incest, because it just weirds him out.

Reactions: ryouG

ryouG

Jun 10, 2019
Man, Sengoku Rance is some awesome shit. Done with first playthrough. I'm gonna try em harder difficulties.

Reactions: r136a1

ryouG

Jun 10, 2019
What 2nd game bonuses do you guys pick? I picked them Tange Dog (Akashita Dog), Popularity Staff, and Immoral Immortal Charm. Dunno bout the rest of them bonuses.

kilatin

Jun 3, 2018
What 2nd game bonuses do you guys pick? I picked them Tange Dog (Akashita Dog), Popularity Staff, and Immoral Immortal Charm. Dunno bout the rest of them bonuses.
Depends on how many bonus points you have to work with. It makes a massive difference if you have say 15 or 80.

Extra action fan is always good (though if you have something like 15 points, I would probably avoid it), popularity staff can be great to build, slow-growth expensive units (such as Maria). Strange Quick Bug (speed +2) can be extremely useful on slow units, while even the working Bee can be awesome (on Yuzumi in particular; note you do not want to ever unequip it!). The manuals / books that give battlefield bonuses (not dungeon, which is a bit meh) can really help too. Dragonfly cutter is really good as well. Guts Armor and Urashimaru are great if you don't pick a high difficulty, as you will either not take much damage, or cut through opponents respectively. Protection paper has its uses two.

The Gold statues increase income by 10% each, which will help too, albeit in the long run.

If you have over 20 points to spare, pick the Mouri bonus. Four great commanders and not having to deal with them as you conquer Mouri is always great.

ryouG

Jun 10, 2019
Depends on how many bonus points you have to work with. It makes a massive difference if you have say 15 or 80.
80? Howdya get that many points? Them +2 endgame skills/commander? I followed the gamefaqs guide, more or less got 30.

Extra action fan is always good (though if you have something like 15 points, I would probably avoid it), popularity staff can be great to build, slow-growth expensive units (such as Maria). Strange Quick Bug (speed +2) can be extremely useful on slow units, while even the working Bee can be awesome (on Yuzumi in particular; note you do not want to ever unequip it!). The manuals / books that give battlefield bonuses (not dungeon, which is a bit meh) can really help too. Dragonfly cutter is really good as well. Guts Armor and Urashimaru are great if you don't pick a high difficulty, as you will either not take much damage, or cut through opponents respectively. Protection paper has its uses two.
- Same here. Gave popularity staff to Maria. Holy shit, she's freaking awesome in army battles. Especially when paired with Dousan though I prefer using Dousan with Urza/Natori.
- Man, I also gave them working bee on Yuzumi. If she's protected so much better than assassinate.
- Did ya put butterfly cutter on Teru Mouri? I use her whenever enemy has lotsa melee frontliners. She frequently kill them faster defending than other units doing actual attacking.

The Gold statues increase income by 10% each, which will help too, albeit in the long run.
Forgot bout them statues. Ya, I'll use em.

If you have over 20 points to spare, pick the Mouri bonus. Four great commanders and not having to deal with them as you conquer Mouri is always great.
(y)

Thanks! Those are helpful 2nd bonus tips. What about Shizuka/Gekko? They look meh but I wanna see Shizuka's interaction with Rance which is always hilarious. What bout the Tange/Akashita Dog? Some players rave bout them but I ain't got them yet. Search 80 is kinda tough.

What bout dungeons aka commander battles? Got tips/tactics? I gots them field/army more or less. But I ain't got the hang of dungeons yet other than letting a fast dungeon scouter like Suzume hang in the back, waiting or swapping them commanders. I noticed that some high level characters doing awesome damage in field battles do jack shit damage in dungeons like Souun and Natori. Urza is still freaking awesome, great damage in dungeons.

er_too

Oct 29, 2018
Hey so in Sengoku whenever I save and add a note it doesn't show the note in the save. I didn't see anything in the readme about that so anyone if there is a way to fix that?

kilatin

Jun 3, 2018
80? Howdya get that many points? Them +2 endgame skills/commander? I followed the gamefaqs guide, more or less got 30.
Lots of endgame points on commanders - and at the end dropping some commanders who cannot be cleared. Clearing characters is also 2 points a piece. Also getting 30k troops (which might be a bit of a challenge - notice that upgrading units becomes progressively more expensive, based on how many units are already there, and the type ofunits), defeating Orochi, and defeating Masamune.
H-ing 300 people as well (though if you want to get those, that probably requires instituting levies in owned provinces. You'll get 1-5 people for each levy, but RNG can really hurt you there).

Not sure how many I had, but was close to 100 (that was a perfected first game); in more casual games 30-50 seems about par. The Gamefaqs FAQ can give you an idea of what to do, but don't follow it to a T. Too much randomisation in the game to make that walkthrough (or any turn-by-turn walkthrough for that matter) work for the game.

Also when you are ready to finish your first game, you can start working on getting some of the achievements / points for characters that you missed. Just don't forget to spend an action point every few turns on that bridge to the mainland to buy yourself more time / avoid a game over. You should be able to increase your points tally a bit, compared to the GameFaqs FAQ.

- Did ya put butterfly cutter on Teru Mouri? I use her whenever enemy has lotsa melee frontliners. She frequently kill them faster defending than other units doing actual attacking.
Teru is one of the best options. The alternative is one of the Shimazu brothers, but he is a pain in the arse to acquire on some routes (and on other routes he won't be accessible). So stick to Teru. Also, if you put a healer with her, and Teru is the only unit in the front row, she can basically win a battle on her own.

Thanks! Those are helpful 2nd bonus tips. What about Shizuka/Gekko? They look meh but I wanna see Shizuka's interaction with Rance which is always hilarious. What bout the Tange/Akashita Dog? Some players rave bout them but I ain't got them yet. Search 80 is kinda tough.
Akashita dog is hard to make work, unless you use really overpowered units, who preferably won't get scratched too much. So think of back-row commanders then (Omachi, Natori, Uruza). Personally I avoid it, due to the restrictions Akashita comes with.
Gekko / Shizaku? Really not worth it, unless you have points to burn. While Gekko has an instant win ability, it is a one-time only, and will cost you Gekko. Ikkyu then may well be the better option (and Ikkyu is otherwise pretty poor). Shizaku is rather meh as well, and does not have much in terms of interaction with Rance in this game ...

What bout dungeons aka commander battles? Got tips/tactics? I gots them field/army more or less. But I ain't got the hang of dungeons yet other than letting a fast dungeon scouter like Suzume hang in the back, waiting or swapping them commanders. I noticed that some high level characters doing awesome damage in field battles do jack shit damage in dungeons like Souun and Natori. Urza is still freaking awesome, great damage in dungeons.
Notice that some commanders are really great on the battlefield but suck badly in dungeons. It also happens the other way around. Okita Nozomi being the prime example of that. This can be due to low level caps and can be due to crap attacks. The latter is usually caused by classes. Diviners and healers will suffer in dungeons. Monks tend to be pretty average as well, but they may have an ability to give back an action point to other commanders. Which would make those monks useful. So check their level stats as well. Natori (level 58, but not much in terms of attacks) and Souun (level cap of 53, but other than guard shikagimi, diviners don't offer much there) are not too great though. Kenshin still rocks, Kentarou can also pretty useful due to a high level cap.

And if you have nothing much to do other than clear a few dungeons, don't be afraid of dropping some dead weights, especially if they cannot be character cleared and / or get end-game points. Also notice that every commander on the roster, at the time of clearing a dungeon gets a level up. So ideally you leave clearing the dungeons to close to the endgame. Depending on your roster, you could probably do one harder dungeon, and one easy dungeon in the same turn.

In general it is better to use the weaker commanders in the first levels of the dungeon because even weak attacks can OHKO opponents. Also try to save Sill till the end. She can give back one action point to Rance. And with his last action point he can do a stronger 'final' attack, so you can rinse and repeat that a few times if necessary.

Edited to fix some spelling mistakes.

In the harder dungeons you will need a little bit of luck. Even the best party can suffer badly against Orochi, if you just can't get a break with the unit switches upon death.

One final thing to be mindful of with regards to dungeons: if you pick all the dungeon item bonuses (not now, but on say your third or 4th playthrough, you obviously benefit by having the items in your possession, while at the same time you don't need to go dungeon crawling to get them. Which makes it easier to keep the dungeons uncleared for dungeon level gaining for the characters that have to take on the tough ones.

Last edited:

Umaru-chan

Aug 12, 2016
Wow Sengoku Rance still holds up! I havent played it since the first translation came out. Ending up playing for 7 hours last night and before I knew it the sun had come up lol so I went to bad at 5AM.

• Haha
Reactions: AinzTilly

BigJohnny

Dec 31, 2017
I bought it, SR, after it got put on MG, after I spent so much time playing the fan translation it wouldn't be fair not to pay for it. Also hoping they'll translate Rance 03.

DraikSpectre

Jul 19, 2018
Anyone else notice that Shimazu can steal commanders even if they're at Trust, like they could prior to 1.03 in the Japanese version? I don't know if it's deliberate or a bug, but I have no idea how to report it and it's incredibly annoying.

AinzTilly

Aug 3, 2019
v1.05 patch for Sengoku Rance is attached below.

This patch fixes a number of issues including:
  • Mouse stuck freeze after dragging commanders or items to the left side of the screen
  • Error message when getting Game Over
  • Minor graphical glitch at the end of a battle (fade out effect missing for battle bar)
  • Several typos
Rance Maou-sama, you upload lots of awesome stuff here in F95. Thanks a lot!

AinzTilly

Aug 3, 2019
Wow Sengoku Rance still holds up! I havent played it since the first translation came out. Ending up playing for 7 hours last night and before I knew it the sun had come up lol so I went to bad at 5AM.
Same here imouto-chan. Awesome stuff, these Rance Series.

mmmonsterkill

Aug 30, 2016
i love sengoku rance but holy hell is it hard, like am i just invading the wrong guys or something because suddenly the enemies have 8 times the units

4.30 star(s) 11 Votes