DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
Thank you so much for this. I'm surprised and happy to see there is an english translation of the original Rance II. It's surprisingly very hard to find on internet ^^ Yesterday I asked on VNDB if such a translation existed but they said no.

I'm probably the only guy on earth who wants to play the original game instead of either Rance 02 or Rance 02 Kai though ^^'
It is understandable to want to play the old versions of the games as the remakes do change some things and it is especially insightful if you plan to play the the original version of Rance III, IV, 4.1, 4.2 and Kichikuou. I think the best route is to play both the originals and remakes since they both have their merits. I also don't think the translation of Evenicle 2 Rance is on vndb as well since both it and the OG Rance II translation were basically shadowdropped in the 4chan /haniho/ thread.

Mizukipon

Mar 30, 2020
It is understandable to want to play the old versions of the games as the remakes do change some things and it is especially insightful if you plan to play the the original version of Rance III, IV, 4.1, 4.2 and Kichikuou. I think the best route is to play both the originals and remakes since they both have their merits. I also don't think the translation of Evenicle 2 Rance is on vndb as well since both it and the OG Rance II translation were basically shadowdropped in the 4chan /haniho/ thread.
Just want to ask What does the Rance 02 Kai do? What is it?

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
Just want to ask What does the Rance 02 Kai do? What is it?
Rance 02 is a remake of Rance II. It was the first of three remakes of the Rance games to be made. Since Rance 02 wasn't a full-blown game release and instead included in an anniversary bundle Alicesoft released, its essentially the same old game with newer art and assets, but the same script. Rance 02 later received patches that tweaked the gameplay and added about 50% more content to the script thus this version with this content is called Rance 02 Kai.

Mizukipon

Mar 30, 2020
Rance 02 is a remake of Rance II. It was the first of three remakes of the Rance games to be made. Since Rance 02 wasn't a full-blown game release and instead included in an anniversary bundle Alicesoft released, its essentially the same old game with newer art and assets, but the same script. Rance 02 later received patches that tweaked the gameplay and added about 50% more content to the script thus this version with this content is called Rance 02 Kai.
Yeah I know all that stuffs that you mentioned xD HAHAHA Been playing The Rance Series since years I just haven't noticed the Rance 02 kai and what it does But Basically It's like a bonus content with like extra features and new things right? Like a dlc or something like that?

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
Yeah I know all that stuffs that you mentioned xD HAHAHA Been playing The Rance Series since years I just haven't noticed the Rance 02 kai and what it does But Basically It's like a bonus content with like extra features and new things right? Like a dlc or something like that?
It isn't anything crazy, but basically it has more story content and more text in the script.

Lunarius

Dec 30, 2018
Is there really no way to play Rance 4.1 and 4.2 on a 64bit system?

Not even with a virtual machine or somesuch?

I wonder if they will ever remake Kichikuou Rance. I mean, it was the game that really put them on the map and prevented them from going out of buissness back in the day. So maybe for the a 30 year aniversary or something. Or do you guys think that X covers a lot of what it covers anyway so there is really no point. I'm interested in your guys' thoughts!
(I know I'm replying to an old post here, but anyway)

I'd say that there's something to be said for a lore-updated remake of Kichikuou Rance.

I mean, yes, all the major plot points that were explored in Kichikuou Rance have already been worked out and elaborated in the later Rance games. And Rance X really does come close to being what Kichikuou Rance was. But here's the thing - 90% of the fun of Kichikuou Rance was that you could just sit back, start wars, and conquer the setting at your own leisurely pace. Rance X just tosses you headfirst into the series' biggest and most apocalyptic conflict, so that's obviously not going to be a game for any comfy no-pressure SRPG-style dicking around.

There just hasn't been a Rance game like that since. Not even Sengoku Rance, which did follow Kichikuou Rance's formula (if with significantly worse pacing) but was restricted to JAPAN. So in that sense, a Kichikuou Rance remake really would add something to the series.

And, a Kichikuou Rance remake might actually work pretty well as a Rance X expansion. Most of the necessary assets (character art especially, but also the engine) should be there in Rance X already.

Rance X already includes a part 2 that focuses on Rance's children instead of the man himself. If an addon scenario like that can be done, then why not a Kichikuou Rance remake focusing on KR's premise (Rance becoming a bandit leader in Helman instead of a prisoner in Zeth) or a different but similar kind of what-if scenario?

Like, for example, what if the events of Rance Quest took a different turn, and Rance became a warlord in the Free Cities Zone shortly after he got his own castle? Let's say that Copandon got abducted by some business rivals (or by people working for Lia...), and that Rance now has to raise an army and go warlord in the Free Cities Zone to fix this situation...

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
Is there really no way to play Rance 4.1 and 4.2 on a 64bit system?

Not even with a virtual machine or somesuch?
The versions of 4.1 and 4.2 include a virtual machine setup to use on a 64-bit system. But, they are not needed and outdated and basically obsolete. I suggest using as they add bug fixes from the original game and add the ability to control party members. I have played through the games several times using these ports on my OS which is the 64-bit version of Windows 10 with no issue.

Lambda777777

Apr 25, 2020
Sorry if the question already been asked...
But i would try this series which has a good reputation on his story, universe and characters. I played sengoku rance long time ago but dropped it i want to go again from the beginning
01 and 02 are released and translated but the 03 game from 2015 i cant see anything... And i'm not really motivated with playing the original III
Is anything planned ? Is that worth it to play only 01 02 right now and wait or i'm gonna wait too long before the translation of the 03 ?
(i know after the 03 i only have old games and no remake but it's okay, i just dont want to play III if a remake exist)

Thanks !

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
Sorry if the question already been asked...
But i would try this series which has a good reputation on his story, universe and characters. I played sengoku rance long time ago but dropped it i want to go again from the beginning
01 and 02 are released and translated but the 03 game from 2015 i cant see anything... And i'm not really motivated with playing the original III
Is anything planned ? Is that worth it to play only 01 02 right now and wait or i'm gonna wait too long before the translation of the 03 ?
(i know after the 03 i only have old games and no remake but it's okay, i just dont want to play III if a remake exist)

Thanks !
03 is not translated and nothing planned. It is very likely MangaGamer is planning to release it, but they just released Quest Magnum and released 01 and 02 a few months ago plus started work on Rance IX again and have other projects. So, if they do have it, we may not see anything for several months or even until early next year. MangaGamer has done a pretty similar pattern to the original Japanese release of Rance and 03 came out after IX but before X. While 03 is a remake it is much more ambitious than 01 and 02 and adds in some references and connections to Quest and IX. Even though 01, 02 and 03 are remakes, I think there is great merit in playing both the originals and remakes because of how the remakes change things especially 01 and 03 and if you play the 02 Kai version. If you are willing to play the older games like IV, 4.1 and 4.2 I suggest playing the old versions of 01 and 02, though as an alternative, you can read Rance I Digest and Rance II Digest so you don't have to bother with the old adventure game design and just read a visual novel retelling of the events of the original two games. Rance III is actually really good and where the series starts to come into its own. If you don't care about any of that, then it is really up to you. Whether or not you are willing to wait likely upwards to a year for 03 to release or to hear any information on it. And 01 and 02 are relatively short even with the 02 Kai additions at least in comparison to the newer games excluding 5D.

Lambda777777

Apr 25, 2020
Thanks for your quick answer ! And thanks for all theses informations, too bad 03 is not planned yet.
Hum it's weird i'm not sure to understand, why play both original and remakes ? Story isn't the same ? But i can read the I and II digest after played 01 and 02 kai if it's interesting and needed, that's okay. And i want to play 03 yes like you say i read that a lot that the series is better in there. Unfortunately i have to wait for a translation i'm not really motivated for playing the old III game, the remake look a lot better :( You really think it's obliged to play the original III if i'm gonna play the old IV 4.1 and 4.2 after ??
Oh... I just dont know if it's worth it to start the series now and get stuck, scared to lose immersion/ important informations about characters and universes when the 03 finally get out.

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
Thanks for your quick answer ! And thanks for all theses informations, too bad 03 is not planned yet.
Hum it's weird i'm not sure to understand, why play both original and remakes ? Story isn't the same ? But i can read the I and II digest after played 01 and 02 kai if it's interesting and needed, that's okay. And i want to play 03 yes like you say i read that a lot that the series is better in there. Unfortunately i have to wait for a translation i'm not really motivated for playing the old III game, the remake look a lot better :( You really think it's obliged to play the original III if i'm gonna play the old IV 4.1 and 4.2 after ??
Oh... I just dont know if it's worth it to start the series now and get stuck, scared to lose immersion/ important informations about characters and universes when the 03 finally get out.
Not really obliged, really just up to you. I understand some people want to jump right into the modern canon of Rance and don't care the older stuff since it is pretty old and can be hard to get into. Just felt if you were willing to try out IV, 4.1 and 4.2 maybe you would end up liking at least III. There are pros and cons to the remakes being replacements for the originals outside of just fitting into the newer canon, somewhat similar to what happened to the Yakuza remakes and the Final Fantasy VII remake. If thats the case though, then maybe wait until Rance 03 translation is announced and play 01 and 02 a few weeks before it releases. The games are fairly standalone though, so you could play 01 and 02 and just jump to IV, 4.1, 4.2, 5D, VI, Sengoku and Quest Magnum since while there are plot references, some things added in 01 and 02 Kai won't entirely line up with how things were referenced in the newer games anyways since 02 came out after Sengoku, 01 came out after Quest and 03 came out after IX.

Reactions: Lambda777777

Kensis

May 2, 2017
Guys do you know how translate ( at least partially ) Rance X ? Like a live machine translation tool that works or something like that

Archaon11111

Engaged Member
Aug 14, 2020
Mane Alicesoft should make more strategy games, Sengoku Rance has the best gameplay by far and dosn't rely on insane grind for its gameplay like all the other Rance games.

Reactions: SharkVampire

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
Dabbled in Rance IX and X, and those may end up being my favorites gameplay wise once they are translated. Also kind of wish MangaGamer would pick up Daiteikoku since it seems interesting.

4.30 star(s) 11 Votes