DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
Can someone explain to me what this is all about? xD
"Rance 2 - Kai:
If you want to play "Rance 2 Kai" replace rance02.ain (345.1 KiB) with the one in folder Rance 02 Kai script(rance02.ain (451.5 KiB)).
Make sure to create a backup of both rance02.ain files.
"Rance 2" saves are not compatible with "Rance 2 Kai", you'll have to star a new game.
Rance 02 Kai has a completely rewritten script."
I downloaded "Rance 02 Kai (add-on)", installed it and it works. And here's another instruction, and I don't have any "script" folder in the main game folder and I don't understand what it's about at all ;x
How would I know that the installed game works correctly as "Kai"?
If I remember right, the "rance02.ain" is basically the "script" file which is why just overwriting that gives you 02 Kai. 02 Kai's is of course bigger because it has a longer script. You know it worked when you boot up the game and the main menu image says "Rance 02 NEW" as in Kai = New. It is misleading, but the "Rance 02 Kai (add-on)" isn't really an add-on, it is an installer for Rance 02 Kai so if you install that, you don't have to do anything else if you want to play 02 Kai.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: NeZKyMaN

NeZKyMaN

Donor
Jun 25, 2018
If I remember right, the "rance02.ain" is basically the "script" file which is why just overwriting that gives you 02 Kai. 02 Kai's is of course bigger because it has a longer script. You know it worked when you boot up the game and the main menu image says "Rance 02 NEW" as in Kai = New. It is misleading, but the "Rance 02 Kai (add-on)" isn't really an add-on, it is an installer for Rance 02 Kai so if you install that, you don't have to do anything else if you want to play 02 Kai.
Ah, ok - thanks. So I have Kai because it says NEW ;-)
By the way, do you know anything about Sengoku Rance not working error? fortunately I downloaded this part with fan translation (when it was still here) and this version works for me. However, the official and currently released one doesn't want to, even after using a patch - the game doesn't turn on.

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
Ah, ok - thanks. So I have Kai because it says NEW ;-)
By the way, do you know anything about Sengoku Rance not working error? fortunately I downloaded this part with fan translation (when it was still here) and this version works for me. However, the official and currently released one doesn't want to, even after using a patch - the game doesn't turn on.
I do not, never had an issue running the official release of Sengoku and works better for me than the old fan translation. Sometimes the Rance games take a while to boot up if I haven't played them in a while, but otherwise they work fine for me.

NeZKyMaN

Donor
Jun 25, 2018
I do not, never had an issue running the official release of Sengoku and works better for me than the old fan translation. Sometimes the Rance games take a while to boot up if I haven't played them in a while, but otherwise they work fine for me.
I don't know, it's like it wants to turn on and then an endless loading black window - just no error pops up or anything.
Oh well, luckily this fan translation is probably pretty good so it should be enough for me.

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
I don't know, it's like it wants to turn on and then an endless loading black window - just no error pops up or anything.
Oh well, luckily this fan translation is probably pretty good so it should be enough for me.
Just keep in mind there are a lot of mistranslations with the fan translation of Sengoku in case some things don't line up if you play other Rance games.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: NeZKyMaN

Sureight

Apr 17, 2020
can anyone help me i cant find the rance III remade eng ver
is it not translate yet
and how to get the eng ver

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
can anyone help me i cant find the rance III remade eng ver
is it not translate yet
and how to get the eng ver
Rance 03 is not translated yet and no announced translation. Though keep your eye out since it may get announced at some point by MangaGamer as we are getting closer to Rance IX's English release probably within the next year or so.

Firehawk

Sep 16, 2017
I encountered a weird bug in Rance 01 that I've seen mentioned in this thread before but no one gave any answer to that guy. My game used to work fine but now whenever I load a save or even start a whole new game, the Scene Rewind menu pops up and I can't exit it, so I'm blocked from continuing the game.

This sucks, any help would be much appreciated. I have no idea what the issue could be since the game used to run as it should before, now even a reinstall doesn't help it.

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
I encountered a weird bug in Rance 01 that I've seen mentioned in this thread before but no one gave any answer to that guy. My game used to work fine but now whenever I load a save or even start a whole new game, the Scene Rewind menu pops up and I can't exit it, so I'm blocked from continuing the game.

This sucks, any help would be much appreciated. I have no idea what the issue could be since the game used to run as it should before, now even a reinstall doesn't help it.
I have never heard of this bug before and seems you already tried reinstalling and checking if your anti-virus deleted a file. Just tried booting up Rance 01 on my three different machines and starting a new game and loading old saves and it works fine for me. Sorry I can't be of help.

Reactions: Firehawk

Firehawk

Sep 16, 2017
I have never heard of this bug before and seems you already tried reinstalling and checking if your anti-virus deleted a file. Just tried booting up Rance 01 on my three different machines and starting a new game and loading old saves and it works fine for me. Sorry I can't be of help.
Well thanks for the consideration at least, I'm at a complete loss here since I was hardly expecting this after just a week long break between my last session with the game and today, my searches aren't giving me anything either. It sounds like exactly like what Goggeen went through here a while back and it seems like there was no solution to it at the time either, to quote:

Rance 01 straight up doesn't work. I hit the first combat sequence and the game automatically starts a scene rewind that can't be cancelled, so I'm stuck on the first minute of the game with no ability to progress. Also I'm apparently the only one who has this issue, so that's cool.

Actually happens anytime something becomes interactable outside the textbox, including Alice's Mansion.
I would also add that that the rewind scroll will sometimes start scrolling up on it's own and will ignore any input, which made me think of it as a UI problem so I messed around with the settings and also tried to find out whether I had any sort of input registration problem but I couldn't find jack. I'll be sure to post my solution to the problem here if I find one but for now, this just feels terrible.

Firehawk

Sep 16, 2017
Well now, I managed to make it work again. It isn't much of a real solution but a simple reset of my PC seems to have made the problem go away, so in case anyone encounters this scene rewind bug, that should be worth a try at least.

Meepo

Jun 19, 2017
Trying to play Sengoku Rance on Linux via wine (using ja_JP locale) but I get an error saying "Failed to read INI file [ System40.ini ]". Anyone has any idea how to fix this?
I know this is like a year late, but if you run wine on the folder and then click the exe in wine it will work.
I have no idea why this works but it just does.

• Love
Reactions: FishGoat

Rudiferme

Oct 21, 2020
As someone who's entered the Rance abyss and made it out alive because of Evenicle.
I can safely say that Rance 6 is the best h game of Rance.
While Rance 7 has great gameplay but not a great h game, get me?

Edit: After playing through a good chunk of 1, 2, 6, 7, 8 at least
I realised that 8 sucks. It just sucks. It's on the level of Steins Gate 0 suck.
Meanwhile, most of Rance games start off slow and make you feel like quitting in the early segments but
it generally gets good after the first chapter or so when you're still figuring out the gameplay.

The lesson here is, Rance is a good substitute for Evenicle withdrawal.
For anyone going through Evenicle withdrawal as I have, watch the god-tier 'anime' of Rance.
And then optional, game 1 or 6. Then jump around. Doesn't really matter.
Man- I miss Evenicle even though its been some time since I've played it.

Last edited:

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
As someone who's entered the Rance abyss and made it out alive because of Evenicle.
I can safely say that Rance 6 is the best h game of Rance.
While Rance 7 has great gameplay but not a great h game, get me?
I get you, and that is a solid assessment.

RoyalZel

Feb 22, 2019
What's the word on Rance IX and X? Any links to translated full versions?
Neither IX or X's translation has been finished, and in X's case, it's still going to be several more years before that game is fully playable in English. Mangagamer's recent project status update showed the IX is fully translated+edited and they're now inserting the translated script into game. I'm estimating that IX should be released sometime around summer or fall 2022. X is currently 39% translated and the main translator has said he plans Of course, that only takes into the account the actual translation of the script and not all the other steps needed to have the game fully playable.

Hryme

Aug 15, 2016
Sengoku Rance must be designed to be save-scummed. Especially on higher difficulty. So much of the winning strategy relies on gimmick stuff like All-guard shikigami + dousan because there is no way you can win those fights in a "fair" way. And if the timing is off or the other side has some unfortunate tactician buffs you can just die. And with permadeath being possible it is inevitable that it happens on Hard (two stars) or higher difficulty. I really enjoy the game, but I think the balance breaks down on hard difficulty. I feel I am basically forced to collect a few broken units just to have a chance to win. And savescum whenever things does not go exactly right.

Last edited:
4.30 star(s) 11 Votes