DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
Maybe someone know?? How good is darknesshero rance mode for Sengoku rance
Its good and recommended to be played after you have played through Sengoku a fair bit and understand the core mechanics and want more. Plus, if you are familiar with the other Rance games or other Alicesoft titles in general, it features tons of fun references to those other games. So if you played through both modes in base Sengoku Rance, want to experience more of the game in a fresh new way and would like to see some fun references you may or may not understand(depending on how much you know of other Rance or Alicesoft games), you should check out the DHR mod.

Reactions: grebd

SixTryllis

Dec 21, 2020
I've started Rance 01 since I ran out of stuff to play and I've gotta admit that the gameplay and the storyline is pretty good. I finished Rance 01 a few days ago and I've recently started Rance 02. I was initially planning to go for Rance3 03 once it is out, but the translation is not out yet.

Should I play Rance III (I don't really want to, since the graphics do not look too good after seeing the Remastered ones) or skip ahead to future ones once I am done with Rance 02? Or should I just read the sypnosis for Rance 3 and then skip ahead to future ones? Also, is there any specific order to enjoy the whole series besides the chronological release?

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
I've started Rance 01 since I ran out of stuff to play and I've gotta admit that the gameplay and the storyline is pretty good. I finished Rance 01 a few days ago and I've recently started Rance 02. I was initially planning to go for Rance3 03 once it is out, but the translation is not out yet.

Should I play Rance III (I don't really want to, since the graphics do not look too good after seeing the Remastered ones) or skip ahead to future ones once I am done with Rance 02? Or should I just read the sypnosis for Rance 3 and then skip ahead to future ones? Also, is there any specific order to enjoy the whole series besides the chronological release?
Play Rance III, IV, 4.1 and 4.2 despite the old graphics, III and IV especially are great games despite the 03 remake and IV having no remake. 4.1 and 4.2 are pretty short, but enjoyable adventures that are referenced in later titles. Chronological order usually isn't recommended at least in terms of playing the remakes first primarily due to some changes made primarily with 01 and 03 both narratively and gameplay wise. 02 even with the Kai update is very similar story wise to the original game and doesn't change much while the other remakes make references to newer titles and change scenes to reflect the tone of the newer games. The most common referenced way is release order via two methods.

The first method is the Japanese releases thus being I > II > III > IV > 4.1 > 4.2 Kichikuou > 5D > VI > Sengoku > 02 > Quest > 01 > IX > 03 > X. This gives you the intended progression as you can really see how the game evolves over time both in terms of technical things like gameplay and also how the story and narrative evolved as the world fleshed out. The developers had a lot of elements thought out about the world during the titles pre-5D and wrote a lot of notes on them, but some of these wouldn't be fleshed out until the post-5D titles hence why people usually recommend to play the originals before the remakes or at least alternatively "play" the Digest for Rance I and Rance II. Since 01 and 03 have hints of the newer elements that were fleshed out in newer titles. Kichikuou is a big one though. You should play Kichikuou even though it is not canon, in fact many fans usually split the Rance canon between "old" and "new" canon with old being Rance I to Kichikuou and new from 5D to X(including the remakes). As narrative wise the remakes replace the old titles to fit better in new canon. Kichikuou was created because the developers had so many ideas for the world they didn't think the series would continue long enough for them to complete and they wouldn't actually finish the series until about 22 years later. Kichikuou has the best pay off if you have played I, II, III, IV, 4.1 and 4.2 before it because it is basing everything on that old canon and in many ways Kichikuou in its current state is a great peek at the many ideas they had that would basically get remade and expanded upon in later entries being 5D, VI, Sengoku, Quest, IX and X.

That brings me to the second method, the official English release order which is typically recommended for people who don't want to bother with the older games so this just means playing the games in release order but only the new canon titles as MangaGamer has been pretty consistent with releasing the Rance games in the same release order as Japan. The only exception being Rance 01 that released bundled with 02 for MangaGamer's release between Sengoku and Quest while in Japan 02 came after Sengoku and 01 after Quest, but it is fine to play 01 between Sengoku and Quest alongside 02 regardless. This order gives a better idea of the evolution of the series as 5D is basically a shorter game and a similar narrative style to 4.1 and 4.2, but is also important in setting up the new canon and being basically a prologue chapter for VI while also planting seeds for Sengoku. We continue to see this progression in VI which really shows off the new canon with an epic adventure. Sengoku is less relevant overall narrative wise aside from some character and relationship setup, but it really ties things together and because it is less relevant narrative wise it helped being an entry point for the long period of time when it was the only title translated. Sengoku features many references to older titles and even some returning minor characters from the old canon with direct references to those events. This is one of the major drawbacks of only playing only the new canon as IV, 4.1 and 4.2 have no remake, those games are continued to be the only way to experience those stories. If you were to play them it is usually recommended to just play them after whenever you play III or 03. MangaGamer is likely already working on 03, but will continue to follow the Japanese releases of doing it after IX, but before X which makes sense as 03 contains references to Quest and IX plus is the only title with voice acting.

Since you already played 01 and plan to play 02, I would just suggest playing the original Rance I and Rance II and using a guide or at least playing the digest versions then playing the rest of the games in release order which is basically chronological order at that point from III to IV to 4.1 to 4.2 to Kichikuou to 5D and so on.

Last edited:

blarghs

Sep 27, 2020
Does anyone have a working version of 03? I know it's not translated, but it's pretty easy to set up machine translation for the dialogue, even if interface stuff is trickier.

xxxtent

Feb 26, 2018
Out of all the parts which one should i start with? Im new to this series . I want one which has great story, great h scenes and is fully translated.

Deathwings

Aug 20, 2017
Out of all the parts which one should i start with? Im new to this series . I want one which has great story, great h scenes and is fully translated.
I mean, game 01 and 02 are translated if you want to start from the very beginning. But the sixth game is when things get really going with the series-wide plot.

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
Play 5D then VI. 5D is short but will dip your toes a bit into the world and setting plus it works as a prologue to VI. 5D doesn't have great gameplay since it is based on dice rolls, but it is only 5-7 hours max. VI is a pretty huge game with interesting gameplay and a great story. People usually recommend Sengoku, but it doesn't really have the strongest story but its gameplay is great plus it doesn't really give a great idea about the Rance universe plus it has several references to previous games including 5D and VI. 01 and 02 while the earliest games in the canon, have weak plots and decent at best gameplay.

Reactions: DaoDinhKien

tzer

Apr 30, 2018
Out of everything rance related Would like to see evenicle rance here in the torrent or smthn eventually the most tbh as that concept sounds hillarious just plop replace rance as the protag just so crazy man.

RoyalZel

Feb 22, 2019

Muff Diver

Gaming Legend & LoneWolf
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
Aug 18, 2016
I tried to get everything rance related put here for members easy access but no go...

Also like the member posted above links. You can also in the OP find links to other rance stuff and i will continue to get links to new Rance threads links put in the OP for members even if i not very active anymore

Sureight

Apr 17, 2020
is the rance III cursed or something or is it just me cant find both the untranslated ver and machine translated version of the rance III remake one ?

Gilgarth

Nov 17, 2018
is the rance III cursed or something or is it just me cant find both the untranslated ver and machine translated version of the rance III remake one ?
Rance 03 hasn't been translated yet by both fan translators or by Alicesoft/MangaGamer. I have played all the mainline games over the course of the last 6 months and the old III should be perfectly fine to play. It's probably the best of the retro style Rance games as it doesn't have the shitty dungeons of IV and II. The story is very good and you aren't missing out on a whole lot in the grand scheme of things if you play the original.

Gilgarth

Nov 17, 2018
Play 5D then VI. 5D is short but will dip your toes a bit into the world and setting plus it works as a prologue to VI. 5D doesn't have great gameplay since it is based on dice rolls, but it is only 5-7 hours max. VI is a pretty huge game with interesting gameplay and a great story. People usually recommend Sengoku, but it doesn't really have the strongest story but its gameplay is great plus it doesn't really give a great idea about the Rance universe plus it has several references to previous games including 5D and VI. 01 and 02 while the earliest games in the canon, have weak plots and decent at best gameplay.
I agree for the most part with this. I started with 01 and played through the mainline games sequentially. 5D's combat isn't as bad as people say. You can get fucked over really bad if you don't know what your doing, but once you figure it out 5D is fun, especially if you take your time with it. VI is hands down my favorite and if you choose to play Sengoku first you are missing out on the backstory of a few characters that show up as a result of SAT events.

Gilgarth

Nov 17, 2018
As someone who's entered the Rance abyss and made it out alive because of Evenicle.
I can safely say that Rance 6 is the best h game of Rance.
While Rance 7 has great gameplay but not a great h game, get me?

Edit: After playing through a good chunk of 1, 2, 6, 7, 8 at least
I realised that 8 sucks. It just sucks. It's on the level of Steins Gate 0 suck.
Meanwhile, most of Rance games start off slow and make you feel like quitting in the early segments but
it generally gets good after the first chapter or so when you're still figuring out the gameplay.

The lesson here is, Rance is a good substitute for Evenicle withdrawal.
For anyone going through Evenicle withdrawal as I have, watch the god-tier 'anime' of Rance.
And then optional, game 1 or 6. Then jump around. Doesn't really matter.
Man- I miss Evenicle even though its been some time since I've played it.
Sorry for necroposting, but I have to disagree with a lot of what this guy has to say. VIII is meant to be played with TADA mode and has some grinding, but it has some of the best short stories and character building in the entire series and introduces very important characters that will appear in the next two games. If I were to choose the worst game in the series gameplaywise, it would have to be 4 with it's massive fucking dungeons and slow gameplay. I strongly recommend playing the games sequentially with the remakes obviously substituting the original versions. I would also skip 4.1 and 4.2 if you are short on time and putting off Kichikuo until at least until you complete III, though the experience is more rewarding the further you get into the mainline game as the earlier iterations of some characters are very very different when compared to those in said mainline series.

• Angry
Reactions: SymbolicSalad

Umbra.Nox

Mar 12, 2020
Can't wait for Rance 03 being translated, though it was what, 7 years already. After Rance 01: Quest for Oneshot Build and Rance 02: Ibeprofun Eater i really want to see what kind of messed up gameplay this one will have.

Reactions: Dr. Lewdwig

Rudiferme

Oct 21, 2020
I have to disagree with a lot of what this guy has to say. VIII is meant to be played with TADA mode and has some grinding, but it has some of the best short stories and character building in the entire series and introduces very important characters that will appear in the next two games.
I just wanna say- completely agree. By no means is 8 a bad game, It's just- when you compare 8 when 6 or 7, it's mediocre at best.
AND it was very very torturous (for me) to play through because the gameplay drags it down.
The story's good. No doubt.
I wanna adopt Reset if I could. I wanna rape Kanami but in a good way, get me? But they don't exist, so that's too bad.

8's good in story, character building and short stories. No doubt.
The problem is, the gameplay is just bad. I don't why? Considering how similar the gameplay is to Evenicle(s) and the previous Rance games.
But the gameplay in 8 is just horrifying that I don't feel like torturing myself with the grindy gameplay just for the sake of reading the story, that's how bad it was.
But fo' real tho, 6 was so good that it set up my expectation. And 7 wasn't technically a h game, it was just good war-game-play for the family to play.
Fo' real tho, most of the Alicesoft games that I've played had a special 'something' that made it stand up from each other,
something that made me think it wasn't just a hentai game and in fact, something incredible.
That's why I'm just soooo~ disappointed with 8 being underwhelming. Because it was just... passable. It was an okay game but nothing more.

I can't be the only one thinking this right?

And if you're gonna say something like- we're downloading it illegally and therefore shouldn't complain. I retort with- I bought Alicesoft's other games with hard cash. And would likely buy 9 and 10 with cash once it gets translated like- ten years from now.
So... in a way... illegally downloading lets us weebs know Alicesoft is good. And therefore they profit when we buy it.

(Anyway- just an aside, I saw some spoilers on how 10 and the Rance story ended and man- loved it.)
Sry for the rant

Last edited:

Sureight

Apr 17, 2020
I just wanna say- completely agree. By no means is 8 a bad game, It's just- when you compare 8 when 6 or 7, it's mediocre at best.
AND it was very very torturous (for me) to play through because the gameplay drags it down.
The story's good. No doubt.
I wanna adopt Reset if I could. I wanna rape Kanami but in a good way, get me? But they don't exist, so that's too bad.

8's good in story, character building and short stories. No doubt.
The problem is, the gameplay is just bad. I don't why? Considering how similar the gameplay is to Evenicle(s) and the previous Rance games.
But the gameplay in 8 is just horrifying that I don't feel like torturing myself with the grindy gameplay just for the sake of reading the story, that's how bad it was.
But fo' real tho, 6 was so good that it set up my expectation. And 7 wasn't technically a h game, it was just good war-game-play for the family to play.
Fo' real tho, most of the Alicesoft games that I've played had a special 'something' that made it stand up from each other,
something that made me think it wasn't just a hentai game and in fact, something incredible.
That's why I'm just soooo~ disappointed with 8 being underwhelming. Because it was just... passable. It was an okay game but nothing more.

I can't be the only one thinking this right?

And if you're gonna say something like- we're downloading it illegally and therefore shouldn't complain. I retort with- I bought Alicesoft's other games with hard cash. And would likely buy 9 and 10 with cash once it gets translated like- ten years from now.
So... in a way... illegally downloading lets us weebs know Alicesoft is good. And therefore they profit when we buy it.

(Anyway- just an aside, I saw some spoilers on how 10 and the Rance story ended and man- loved it.)
Sry for the rant
Chapter 8 is too grinding
The pain in the ass when i tried to reach Alice fight (still dont know how to reach there)

4.30 star(s) 11 Votes