Kensis

May 2, 2017
Kichikuou was never strictly intended as a finale to the franchise, the problem was that then- as ever- being a professional eroge maker was something of a passion project. The people at Alicesoft were not naïve about the long term prospects of their little project and Kichikuou was their way of making sure that no matter what else happened, they'd leave their mark.
I have a close friend that lived ( and still live ) in Japan and work in the eroge game industry, tbh he told me that and I have always believed that, not just because he is a huge fan of the Rance saga like me, but also because he had the opportunity to talk with some of the alicesoft devs more then once.

The story that he told me is pretty much that they were going very bad and they made KR as a final chapter to try to make some money, and also to found some new project ( that due the success of KR came out only 10 years later ) but since KR was that huge success they saw the potential to keep the saga going.

It maybe a bullshit but honestly I don't see why devs from alicesoft should tell a random bullshit to my friend

Reactions: Nicorondo

Nicorondo

Feb 5, 2021
Question about Sengoku Rance. What routes should i play so i'm not confused going into the next game/which are the best? (i've only done the Kenshin route so far)

Imperator753

Aug 5, 2016
Question about Sengoku Rance. What routes should i play so i'm not confused going into the next game/which are the best? (i've only done the Kenshin route so far)
So you've done true route & Kenshin. Definitely do Isoroku route, but at that point you might as well do Ran's too.

The most important IF route to do lorewise is Isoroku imo. There really isn't any mention of events for the IF routes as the events never happened. Isoroku just helps you understand actions Rance took after true route I guess. Idk, trying to explain without spoiling.

SymbolicSalad

Jan 7, 2020
I'd say the Kill The Monkey route is pretty important just for the freedom to actually experience the events and characters of the game without having them randomly die off to Xavier since a lot of them appear in future titles.

lamba

Jul 10, 2018
The three routes with the most externalities to the plot are the core route, the Kenshin route and the Isoroku route.

That said if you've *only* played Sengoku Rance you definitely want to go back and play the previous titles. Really the easy answer is, "just play them in chronological order." The games do an adequate job introducing recurring characters but you can only do so much relative to ~25 years of plot development.

The story that he told me is pretty much that they were going very bad and they made KR as a final chapter to try to make some money, and also to found some new project ( that due the success of KR came out only 10 years later ) but since KR was that huge success they saw the potential to keep the saga going.
Right. Kichikou was a swan song for the company, but it also wasn't actually written as a definitive end to the franchise. It was their brain dump so that no matter what happened, they'd still have their, "I was here!" moment. But Kichikou also wasn't written in such a way that it couldn't be given a sequel or, say, cut entirely. Your explanation was needlessly long and complicated and the old versions of the Rance titles aren't strictly non-canon, either. Excluding Kichikou, but even Kichikou's content is given call backs to.

Kensis

May 2, 2017
Right. Kichikou was a swan song for the company, but it also wasn't actually written as a definitive end to the franchise. It was their brain dump so that no matter what happened, they'd still have their, "I was here!" moment. But Kichikou also wasn't written in such a way that it couldn't be given a sequel or, say, cut entirely. Your explanation was needlessly long and complicated and the old versions of the Rance titles aren't strictly non-canon, either. Excluding Kichikou, but even Kichikou's content is given call backs to.
On the non-canon you are 100% wrong, has been clearly stated by alicesoft what is canon now and what is not. You can easly google it or look at the wiki

• Angry
Reactions: SymbolicSalad

Sgrodolo

Sep 1, 2017
Why did Alisoft abandon sengoku rance's (and Daibanchiou's) gameplay type? The game is hailed all around the world as a great quality game on top of being a great eroge, so why did they abandon it in favour of mediocre dungeon crawling and turn based fire emblem style combat or whatever came to their mind apparently as they change the foundations every 2 games?
I can't imagine it being more expensive to develop than something like rance 8

• Angry

lamba

Jul 10, 2018
Why did Alisoft abandon sengoku rance's (and Daibanchiou's) gameplay type?
They didn't. Rance is fundamentally an RPG franchise though. Sengoku Rance was itself a callback to Kichikou. Alicesoft was never shy about experimentation but Sengoku Rance was a huge departure from the core gameplay of the franchise.

Plus, the core audience for Rance titles is Japan, not the world. Sengoku Rance may be a fan favorite but it also didn't see an official English release till 2019. Over a decade after it's initial release in Japan. The market that carries AliceSoft and keeps them in business is Japan, not thirsty weebs in North America. In terms of actual cash flow, AliceSoft wouldn't have seen much of anything from North America till they penned the agreement with Manga Gamer, which was probably for a flat amount.

On the non-canon you are 100% wrong, has been clearly stated by alicesoft what is canon now and what is not
Someone who's played both the remakes and the originals more intensely is going to have to correct me if I'm wrong but the remakes don't radically change a lot? I always went by the image on the . When and where the remakes contradict the originals, the remake is canon over it, but the places where it actually does that are few and far in between.

SymbolicSalad

Jan 7, 2020
Someone who's played both the remakes and the originals more intensely is going to have to correct me if I'm wrong but the remakes don't radically change a lot? I always went by the image on the . When and where the remakes contradict the originals, the remake is canon over it, but the places where it actually does that are few and far in between.
01 and 02 Kai definitely follow the same plot but they differently characterize a few of the characters in a way that's never really mentioned again and probably works worse with canon than the actual older games. 01 also tries to "animeify" the game more by giving kanami and especially maris weird 2nd phase boss fights and maris just kind of like.. explodes and goes crazy?

In 01 the remake exclusive characterization of Rance is about how insecure he is of being seen as a "country bumpkin" and that term is probably said more in this game than every other rance game combined. 02 makes Rance a less serious character than the Original and gets rid of A LOT of CGs the original had in favor of little chibi mini CGs or none at all. An example of the less serious Rance would be during the confrontation with Mill he ends up putting a sword to Milli's throat in order to get Mill to stop producing phantoms, in the original he holds his ground, even brings the blade closer, and doesn't do anything that would indicate that he wouldn't actually do it (though yeah, he actually wouldn't.) and in the remake he puts the blade to Milli and goes on a rant about how he's not actually going to do it and gets into a mild screaming match with Maria about how he was never actually planning on killing Milli (while still holding the blade to her) and Mill just surrenders anyways.

You can definitely tell that they wrote 02 Kai coming off of Sengoku because they gave Bird an obsession with sweet potatoes that is never really referred to again, especially not to the amount he has one in 02. Sengoku started some weird little meme about how all the characters loved eating sweet potatoes, especially Ryouma and her group, and they wrote Bird to take advantage of that meme regardless of how it actually affects his character. Every single person he meets he offers them a Sweet potato, he carries like 20 around in his pockets and he's constantly munching on them.

The entire Menad quest in Rance 01 is also remake exclusive content, there was a graveyard quest in a specific version of Rance 1 but I'm pretty sure it was for the girl who levels you up instead of the gatekeeper. I also know that Rance 03 does A LOT of things differently than 3 but not very many specifics.

Mitsuki tsuki

Jul 26, 2023
Has anyone had the problem of being unable to click on Rance VI: Collapse of Zeth? Once I get to the title screen, I'm unable to interact with the game at all. I've read different solutions like the keyboard being detected as a controller or changing config, but I don't know the exact steps to resolve this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

ToxicTesty

Aug 18, 2019
So I dunno if it's just me having this issue. But Rance VI refuses to get past the start screen. None of the menu buttons are interactable, and attempting to click them results in nothing happening. I've attempted running it as both admin, and in compatibility mode, with no luck. Below is an attached gif showing what I mean, if anyone has any idea, it'd be much appreciated. I've played through Rance 01, 02, 4 and 5D so far without any issues.

Looking it up, I've found people saying I need to disable gamepads in the config, but...theres no config?

Last edited:

illnevertell01

Jun 21, 2017
For some reason, Three for the Slash! Thrust! Burn!'s DrawGraph.dll has no description and CANNOT be unzipped. Any ideas?

Error 0x8096002A: No Description Available

Last edited:

Gicoo

Feb 18, 2018
Took a while, but I made it through 6-7-8-9-01-02-5.
6 and 7 were years ago, 8 was last year and 9-01-02-5 were last month.
It's almost the order of quality from best to worst, only switch 01 with 02.

Judging by Mangagamer Twitter, 03s translation is relatively advanced, while 10 takes a while.
Should I play now 4 so that it goes 4-03-10 or should I wait for 03 first and then go 03-4-10?

28 October:
Rance 03 55% translated, 41% edited
Rance X 70,5% translated, 5% edited

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face

BooDoof

Nov 15, 2021

Judging by Mangagamer Twitter, 03s translation is relatively advanced, while 10 takes a while.
Should I play now 4 so that it goes 4-03-10 or should I wait for 03 first and then go 03-4-10?

28 October:
Rance III introduces a lot of mainstay characters to the series, but since you've played everything else I don't think you'd miss anything from just playing IV.

SymbolicSalad

Jan 7, 2020

28 October:
You should do neither and should instead play the originals instead of the inferior remakes.

3 is one of the better entries in the series and 03 will definitely ruin it, 4 is also one of the better ones and it's a direct sequel to 3

4.30 star(s) 11 Votes