skraf

Sep 12, 2018
I still cannot understand why people give this game a low rating :eek: Anyways, thanks for the update! Waiting for more Keisuke content O.O
This game is INSANELY wordy. I can read at an average of 1200+ wpm. I have literally read for over 30 mins in this game before you get to a choice. And it's flowery fluff wayyy too descriptive, and then the author goes off on complete tangents. Good god the author likes to hear himself talk. I once had a boss that told one of our employees that she needed to learn the economy of words... say what you need to say and shut the hell up!

Reactions: Zastinx

Bentsay

Dec 20, 2017
This game is INSANELY wordy. I can read at an average of 1200+ wpm. I have literally read for over 30 mins in this game before you get to a choice. And it's flowery fluff wayyy too descriptive, and then the author goes off on complete tangents. Good god the author likes to hear himself talk. I once had a boss that told one of our employees that she needed to learn the economy of words... say what you need to say and shut the hell up!
Have you tried to tone aloof down to lets say 1, this game has a lot of text and alot of variations, it's an interesting gameplay mechanic.

• Angry
Reactions: Zastinx

CaptainCaption

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2020
A normal rate for learning is 100-200 wpm, and for comprehension it is 200-400 wpm. Speed reading is normally done at a rate of around 400-700 wpm. Anything above 500-600 wpm means sacrificing comprehension, although this varies from person to person.
Congrats on reading 600% faster than the lower bound of 200 wpm for the average Adult's non-technical English reading speed.

And it's 1664 words before the first choice in the game, though this is an inflated number because the Ren'Py SDK's script extraction tool pulls multiple C.H.E.A.T.S. variant passages of text instead of just one (my rough calculation is that it is in fact 1200 words for the default Aloofness path).

If it took you 30 minutes to read 1200 words, perhaps you aren't as fast of a reader as you hyperbolically claimed?

Sorry for specifically singling you out, but people need to understand that this game is a visual novel where the "gameplay" is looking at text and advancing it. I commend you for still giving it a chance, but the thread has the "text-based" tag and the game is clearly built in Ren'Py, a well-known visual novel engine; furthermore, re:/Dreamer is deliberately more linear than its sprawling choose your own adventure contemporaries like or (the latter of which I used to write for).

molitar

Engaged Member
Sep 22, 2016
art needs improvement
I have to ask the same damn question. The art is really really well done.. looks as good if not better than many commercial game art yet you drop in and say art needs improvement and than bail. You don't even give a single opinion on anything. Your entire comment was useless for anyone here unless you are trying to start trolling here.

skraf

Sep 12, 2018
Have you tried to tone aloof down to lets say 1, this game has a lot of text and alot of variations, it's an interesting gameplay mechanic.
Aloof means distant physically or emotionally. There was no aloofness in my response at all.

You stated you didn't understand what the game was rated so poorly. I told you. Sorry if you don't like the response.

Excessive wordiness that goes off on all tangents is not a gameplay mechanic. It has a FEW choices, not a lot. If you want to see a highly rated game that uses text and choices effectively, look at Good Girl Gone Bad. Someone wrote in another description of the game that it was like being forced to watch a timeshare presentation... I would willingly sit through a timeshare presentation to get out of going through this "gameplay".

Here's a hint for the developer.. Do a complete re-write dropping AT LEAST 95% of your words. Say want you want to say and move on. Stop meandering. Short concise text.

Bentsay

Dec 20, 2017
Aloof means distant physically or emotionally. There was no aloofness in my response at all.

You stated you didn't understand what the game was rated so poorly. I told you. Sorry if you don't like the response.

Excessive wordiness that goes off on all tangents is not a gameplay mechanic. It has a FEW choices, not a lot. If you want to see a highly rated game that uses text and choices effectively, look at Good Girl Gone Bad. Someone wrote in another description of the game that it was like being forced to watch a timeshare presentation... I would willingly sit through a timeshare presentation to get out of going through this "gameplay".

Here's a hint for the developer.. Do a complete re-write dropping AT LEAST 95% of your words. Say want you want to say and move on. Stop meandering. Short concise text.
This was not a figure of speech I meant the stat literally, changes to it influences the dialogue and certain behaviors of the mc.

High aloof (5) makes it so that you experience his long tangents the opposite (1) cuts down alot of his pointless tangents.

Reactions: CaptainCaption

skraf

Sep 12, 2018
Congrats on reading 600% faster than the lower bound of 200 wpm for the average Adult's non-technical English reading speed.

And it's 1664 words before the first choice in the game, though this is an inflated number because the Ren'Py SDK's script extraction tool pulls multiple C.H.E.A.T.S. variant passages of text instead of just one (my rough calculation is that it is in fact 1200 words for the default Aloofness path).

If it took you 30 minutes to read 1200 words, perhaps you aren't as fast of a reader as you hyperbolically claimed?

Sorry for specifically singling you out, but people need to understand that this game is a visual novel where the "gameplay" is looking at text and advancing it. I commend you for still giving it a chance, but the thread has the "text-based" tag and the game is clearly built in Ren'Py, a well-known visual novel engine; furthermore, re:/Dreamer is deliberately more linear than its sprawling choose your own adventure contemporaries like or (the latter of which I used to write for).

I was kicked out of speed reading class the 1st day for going faster than the machines, with 100% accuracy.
If I have to skip though (and I will skip) through 10-20 or more screens of LARGE amounts of meandering text to get to a choice, I won't play that game... and you do it after EVERY choice. Your text is BORING and no one cares to read the story.. and I love visual novels. I never played Press-Switch or Student Transfer (thank you for telling me you used to write for it.. now I know not to play it).

If you took this to a book editor, that book editor would tell you to cut the words. 1 to 2 screens of text after each choice... after that, it's all wasted.

Last edited:

skraf

Sep 12, 2018
This was not a figure of speech I meant the stat literally, changes to it influences the dialogue and certain behaviors of the mc.

High aloof (5) makes it so that you experience his long tangents the opposite (1) cuts down alot of his pointless tangents.
Didn't get to a point to set an *aloofness* rating. Too much wordiness. ALL of his tangents are worthless. It's like listening to a Donald Trump speech.

The game is rubbish as it sits.. unplayable.. and that's too bad, because the idea is good and the art is really good.

Last edited:

CaptainCaption

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2020
Didn't get to a point to set an *aloofness* rating.
That's literally the first choice. Are you trolling, or...?

I was kicked out of speed reading class the 1st day for going faster than the machines, with 100% accuracy.
If I have to skip though (and I will skip) through 10-20 or more screens of LARGE amounts of meandering text to get to a choice, I won't play that game... and you do it after EVERY choice. Your text is BORING and no one cares to read the story.. and I love visual novels. I never played Press-Switch or Student Transfer (thank you for telling me you used to write for it.. now I know not to play it).

If you took this to a book editor, that book editor would tell you to cut the words. 1 to 2 screens of text after each choice... after that, it's all wasted.
Yeah, you definitely are lol.

skraf

Sep 12, 2018
That's literally the first choice. Are you trolling, or...?

Yeah, you definitely are lol.

No, it's not. To get to a game, you click on NEW GAME. You then have to go through approximately 26 presses of the Enter key to get through several full pages of text to get to a choice. Which is "Sure, why not?" or "Nah, leave it default". Now if you have some other choice BEFORE clicking New Game that's not readily apparent to the game player, that's poor game design.

And I'm not alone in this either. The game has gotten BAD REVIEW after BAD REVIEW... ALL for your bloviating wordiness. You might want to consider that in the future before you "single out" one of your players. Character creation takes place AFTER you click New Game in damn near every game I've ever played.

And BTW.. ALOOFNESS has NOTHING to do with verbosity. Look up the word in a dictionary sometime. Making a change to some stat (that's not readily apparent) regarding how distant a person is should not affect verbosity of responses.

Good riddance. I won't be playing this game again.. which is too bad, because like I said, the concept is good, as well as the artwork. I support 10 games on Patreon right now. You're a dick that cannot take any constructive criticism. Yours will never be one of them.

Last edited:

molitar

Engaged Member
Sep 22, 2016
I think so many bad reviews because this is more like a Kinetic novel with some selection choices that can affect part of the game... I imagine it will not be that bad later in the game for them but really the story needed to be told properly to understand what the characters thoughts are after all he found out a game turned him into a girl but not only that he has to be a slut if he ever wants a chance to return back to being a male. Not something that you are going to be coherent in thought and mind after having it happen to you! I have not got further yet as I have not had time but the entire introduction where he is told about the game to me has the proper pacing.

This game is more like the kinetic novels but with a few choices that affect the game.. reminds me of the old What If books I use to read. Bet the majority never read or heard of them either they were complete novels but you had choices to make that would than have you read a different page to make different endings. Yep lots of reading but they were entertaining actual paper backs that could have different endings. Now everyone can play Kinetic Novels on PC but too lazy to want to read an actual story and just want the h-scenes.

If that is all you want go play the other 98% of the games out there that has a shitty story and stop giving bad reviews to one that focuses more on the story! Nearly ever shitty review on this game is those lazy bastards who don't want to read a story and just want the h-scenes and complaining because they don't get to just see h-scenes. Go play them other crap games that have no story and no real game play and stop leaving worthless reviews that tell nothing of the story and actual game!

skraf

Sep 12, 2018
I think so many bad reviews because this is more like a Kinetic novel with some selection choices that can affect part of the game... I imagine it will not be that bad later in the game for them but really the story needed to be told properly to understand what the characters thoughts are after all he found out a game turned him into a girl but not only that he has to be a slut if he ever wants a chance to return back to being a male. Not something that you are going to be coherent in thought and mind after having it happen to you! I have not got further yet as I have not had time but the entire introduction where he is told about the game to me has the proper pacing.

This game is more like the kinetic novels but with a few choices that affect the game.. reminds me of the old What If books I use to read. Bet the majority never read or heard of them either they were complete novels but you had choices to make that would than have you read a different page to make different endings. Yep lots of reading but they were entertaining actual paper backs that could have different endings. Now everyone can play Kinetic Novels on PC but too lazy to want to read an actual story and just want the h-scenes.

If that is all you want go play the other 98% of the games out there that has a shitty story and stop giving bad reviews to one that focuses more on the story! Nearly ever shitty review on this game is those lazy bastards who don't want to read a story and just want the h-scenes and complaining because they don't get to just see h-scenes. Go play them other crap games that have no story and no real game play and stop leaving worthless reviews that tell nothing of the story and actual game!

No, the writing is completely excessive, and 95% of it can be removed WHILE telling the story. The author needs to stop going off on complete tangents... he needs an editor to reign him in, big time. I grew up with the What if choice books.. skip to page 32 if this is your choice stuff, and even they weren't this wordy, and offered more choices. OMG it's mindnumbing.

You're telling me games like Good Girl Gone Bad is crap? It's an editor's choice at most adult game DL sites. It's entertaining, tells a great story, immersive, with a good amount of choices, and just enough story to choice selection.

molitar

Engaged Member
Sep 22, 2016
No, the writing is completely excessive, and 95% of it can be removed WHILE telling the story. The author needs to stop going off on complete tangents... he needs an editor to reign him in, big time. I grew up with the What if choice books.. skip to page 32 if this is your choice stuff, and even they weren't this wordy, and offered more choices. OMG it's mindnumbing.

You're telling me games like Good Girl Gone Bad is crap? It's an editor's choice at most adult game DL sites. It's entertaining, tells a great story, immersive, with a good amount of choices, and just enough story to choice selection.
There is a very famous author here in the US can't remember the name been on the top seller list and is known for being very very detailed. My friend read one of the books and enjoyed it... too detailed for me almost nearly half the chapter describing the feeling as the mc walked on a stone wall.. The way the sun felt, the feeling of the moss on the feet and between the toes. So no this developer writing style maybe too much for you to read but not bother others. I myself can't imagine reading a chapter just describing every sensation the mc feels while walking and definitely not for me but my friend read the entire book. So do not criticize or review because of this. Review based on the game itself and put in your personal opinion as just that.. it's much too wordy for my taste.. That would be a proper way to review.

Now the part I do agree on is to get a bit more thoughts during the black out screen.. totally black environment can work but need to add some drama music in the background to put that sense of dread or uncertainty into the reading. I feel the pacing is fine but he does not seem to be panicking enough to me and questioning if he is going blind and where the pain is coming from. I think a bit more of a panic at first and proper foreboding background music could enhance this more to the reader.

skraf

Sep 12, 2018
There is a very famous author here in the US can't remember the name been on the top seller list and is known for being very very detailed. My friend read one of the books and enjoyed it... too detailed for me almost nearly half the chapter describing the feeling as the mc walked on a stone wall.. The way the sun felt, the feeling of the moss on the feet and between the toes. So no this developer writing style maybe too much for you to read but not bother others. I myself can't imagine reading a chapter just describing every sensation the mc feels while walking and definitely not for me but my friend read the entire book. So do not criticize or review because of this. Review based on the game itself and put in your personal opinion as just that.. it's much too wordy for my taste.. That would be a proper way to review.

Now the part I do agree on is to get a bit more thoughts during the black out screen.. totally black environment can work but need to add some drama music in the background to put that sense of dread or uncertainty into the reading. I feel the pacing is fine but he does not seem to be panicking enough to me and questioning if he is going blind and where the pain is coming from. I think a bit more of a panic at first and proper foreboding background music could enhance this more to the reader.

There's a huge difference between being descriptive and going off on complete tangents. This author needs to take a creative writing class AND hire an editor to reign him in.

CaptainCaption

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2020
I have new cleaned sketches for the butt/hips/thighs growth portion of the Zach to Zoey transformation CG set.
step 01.png
step 02.png
step 03.png
step 04.png

And a GIF to see all the changes in action:
steps.gif

has free download links to 4K resolution versions of all the frames as well as the animated GIF.

CaptainCaption

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2020
the sprite artist of Britney, the female friend and yuri route partner, suddenly returned after being gone for over 7 months, which means the art with her can proceed again. She's even already got her second pose done, which is already in-game and will be in the 0.8.4 release later today;

screenshot0215.png

Here's a showcase of it since I think this animation looks neat.

The exact text of this scene changes based on the C.H.E.A.T.S. character stats you set. A higher Trans Zach will be more assertive with being a girl, a lower Trans Zach will be insistent that only his body is female, a higher Horny Zach will make Zach describe himself more coarsely, a higher Horny Zach will be more coarse and vivid with describing his body parts, a lower Horny Zach will have a more clinical view, a less Awkward Zach will realize Britney is upset at him and shut up, and a higher Awkward Zach will not realize why he's being asked to shut up (but do it anyways).
As a reminder, the entire script is peppered with tiny little moments like this.

3.40 star(s) 31 Votes