VN Ren'Py Realm Invader [Ep. 2 P1] [Invader Gary]

4.70 star(s) 63 Votes

DevinHesi

Oct 29, 2021

Important update and a mitigated disaster

I ain't spoke in a while.

Despite living in a nightmare for 2-3 weeks, things are looking back to normal-ish.

I alluded to this in my last patron-only update, but I'm kind of stressed and tired regarding the development of Realm Invader, this also includes a negative feedback-loop in which my dwindling work-pace is only causing more stress. Regardless, I've still been working throughout this radio silence of mine.

Worse came to (almost) worst when I found myself in the midst of technical difficulties. For those of you who don't know: I've spent almost all of my hard-earned Realm Invader money on a shiny new PC. This has been a long time; putting this money aside, and I couldn't have done it without my supporters, and I couldn't be more grateful.

First things first: Windows 11 is fine. Stop crying about it.

Second thing second: Holy shit the 4090 is fast. What the fuck?! 2-3 hour long render times have been reduced to a mere 20 minutes, not only that, but the stupidly-high 24GB of VRAM allows me to actually multi-task while rendering as well, no more staring at a black screen for 3 hours. I genuinely can't put into words how life-changing this is. Apart from the misery of waiting such a long time, it's now feasible for me to tweak animations after rendering. If I find myself unhappy with an animation (not 100% happy with the way something is moving, AO too high and causing artifacts, etc...) it's no longer demoralizing knowing I have to go for a walk or sit around while it renders. My motivation to fine-tune animations has skyrocketed. Studio also handles like a dream and I'm no longer berated by the fans of my 2080Ti screaming at me as I work. I haven't properly played any games on it yet, but I've run a few just to benchmark it. Let's just say I can't wait to take it for a ride in between updates.

64GB of DDR5 RAM is letting my computer run smoother too, not to mention Studio has a weird way of utilizing memory where it'll use on-board RAM as well as VRAM while rendering. I would often cut it close to the 32GB I had before. Now? Not even close.

Now the processor... this story isn't so nice.

The CPU is by far the largest jump in hardware I've made, going from an i7-7700k to an i9-14900k. This jump is truly astronomical, and yes, this processor is rapid.

It also gave me the most headache.

Heavily multi-threaded tasks, such as compilation, emulation, and video encoding would all crash, and occasionally blue-screen. WHEA logs would give either Translation Lookaside Buffer errors or Internal Parity errors. I've spent more time over the past 2 weeks looking at the BIOS screen than any non-technician should. I was very worried that this update today would be me informing you that I am RMA-ing the processor, and won't be able to work on the game until that process was completed. Thankfully, the final step on my attempt at troubleshooting (BIOS Flash) brang some much-needed stability, and I can finally run these productivity tasks.

So the processor works, but unsurprisingly of Intel, it draws a dickload of power, and still thermally throttles even with my expensive AiO cooler hooked up to it. Classic Intel. On the bright side, it's speedy as hell and FFmpeg no longer crashes (In fact, I'm encoding as I type this)

The reason I'm resurrecting myself now is that I'm no longer suck between a rock (PC shitting itself) and a hard place (animations).

Just now I finished animating/rendering the final animation in this long batch. The final long batch of this update. I've still got about 150 more renders to do, but I no longer want to kill myself which is always a plus. So, unfortunately, PC panic and deteriorating development speed have probably added another three weeks to this update. Yes, I'm just as unhappy about it as you are.

Stress levels are easing out, and we should be back on a normal schedule. Thanks to everyone who stayed subscribed as I was feigning death.

- Gary

P.S. I urge the remaining Gatekeepers to make your custom requests. January is almost over.

Sep 16, 2023

Despite living in a nightmare for 2-3 weeks, things are looking back to normal-ish.

I alluded to this in my last patron-only update, but I'm kind of stressed and tired regarding the development of Realm Invader, this also includes a negative feedback-loop in which my dwindling work-pace is only causing more stress. Regardless, I've still been working throughout this radio silence of mine.

Worse came to (almost) worst when I found myself in the midst of technical difficulties. For those of you who don't know: I've spent almost all of my hard-earned Realm Invader money on a shiny new PC. This has been a long time; putting this money aside, and I couldn't have done it without my supporters, and I couldn't be more grateful.

Second thing second: Holy shit the 4090 is fast. What the fuck?! 2-3 hour long render times have been reduced to a mere 20 minutes, not only that, but the stupidly-high 24GB of VRAM allows me to actually multi-task while rendering as well, no more staring at a black screen for 3 hours. I genuinely can't put into words how life-changing this is. Apart from the misery of waiting such a long time, it's now feasible for me to tweak animations after rendering. If I find myself unhappy with an animation (not 100% happy with the way something is moving, AO too high and causing artifacts, etc...) it's no longer demoralizing knowing I have to go for a walk or sit around while it renders. My motivation to fine-tune animations has skyrocketed. Studio also handles like a dream and I'm no longer berated by the fans of my 2080Ti screaming at me as I work. I haven't properly played any games on it yet, but I've run a few just to benchmark it. Let's just say I can't wait to take it for a ride in between updates.

64GB of DDR5 RAM is letting my computer run smoother too, not to mention Studio has a weird way of utilizing memory where it'll use on-board RAM as well as VRAM while rendering. I would often cut it close to the 32GB I had before. Now? Not even close.

The CPU is by far the largest jump in hardware I've made, going from an i7-7700k to an i9-14900k. This jump is truly astronomical, and yes, this processor is rapid.

Heavily multi-threaded tasks, such as compilation, emulation, and video encoding would all crash, and occasionally blue-screen. WHEA logs would give either Translation Lookaside Buffer errors or Internal Parity errors. I've spent more time over the past 2 weeks looking at the BIOS screen than any non-technician should. I was very worried that this update today would be me informing you that I am RMA-ing the processor, and won't be able to work on the game until that process was completed. Thankfully, the final step on my attempt at troubleshooting (BIOS Flash) brang some much-needed stability, and I can finally run these productivity tasks.

So the processor works, but unsurprisingly of Intel, it draws a dickload of power, and still thermally throttles even with my expensive AiO cooler hooked up to it. Classic Intel. On the bright side, it's speedy as hell and FFmpeg no longer crashes (In fact, I'm encoding as I type this)

The reason I'm resurrecting myself now is that I'm no longer suck between a rock (PC shitting itself) and a hard place (animations).

Just now I finished animating/rendering the final animation in this long batch. The final long batch of this update. I've still got about 150 more renders to do, but I no longer want to kill myself which is always a plus. So, unfortunately, PC panic and deteriorating development speed have probably added another three weeks to this update. Yes, I'm just as unhappy about it as you are.

Stress levels are easing out, and we should be back on a normal schedule. Thanks to everyone who stayed subscribed as I was feigning death.

- Gary

P.S. I urge the remaining Gatekeepers to make your custom requests. January is almost over.
Oh I was wondering what was happening when Gary mentioned going dark due to stress levels on his discord. Good to know everything turned out fine.

single_guy_from_au

Jun 18, 2023

- Gary

Great News! I was really worried about this game.

I hope, the new release is comming this month! (y)

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
Did this game not get promoted to latest updates with the new patch on the 6th? Cause i never saw it and it has no tag that my filters catch so if it was promoted i should've seen it...

ThaBoooB

Jun 24, 2023
Did this game not get promoted to latest updates with the new patch on the 6th? Cause i never saw it and it has no tag that my filters catch so if it was promoted i should've seen it...
Don't see any new updates. Still on EP1.. Your are possibly talking about a 4k version of EP1 that was published here on the 6th?

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
Don't see any new updates. Still on EP1.. Your are possibly talking about a 4k version of EP1 that was published here on the 6th?
Is that why the thread got updated? Fair enough then, thought it was odd but i figured it must have been the demo i played and the full ep1 was what got released on the 6th.

ThaBoooB

Jun 24, 2023
Is that why the thread got updated? Fair enough then, thought it was odd but i figured it must have been the demo i played and the full ep1 was what got released on the 6th.
Yeah I also got a little confused :p
But if you checked the file for 1080p version on pixeldrain it was uploaded in June. So I don't think anything has changed other than the 4k version being added. :)

• Red Heart
Reactions: Bingoogus

winmace

Jun 7, 2022
Ah man this is such a good VN, so much good comedy and character interactions, I laughed way too hard. Excited to see where thing go next!

Apr 27, 2023
Well, and here is me, filtering the games by tags.

And stumbling on this one by accident, because while it has "Slave" in game tags to filter by, it only has "Male domination" in "planned tags". I wonder how it comes around, surely, "Slave" is hard to do without somebody dominating someone? Or am I mixing something up?

It's hard to find maledom game with (nonexclusive) gays and traps, where the MC is actually the one doing domination. I am now downloading the Ep1 and if it is as good as dev's devnotes I will probably subscribe and look forward to Ep2, hoping this is not abandoned.

Spiderfox

Nov 28, 2018
Well, and here is me, filtering the games by tags.

And stumbling on this one by accident, because while it has "Slave" in game tags to filter by, it only has "Male domination" in "planned tags". I wonder how it comes around, surely, "Slave" is hard to do without somebody dominating someone? Or am I mixing something up?

It's hard to find maledom game with (nonexclusive) gays and traps, where the MC is actually the one doing domination. I am now downloading the Ep1 and if it is as good as dev's devnotes I will probably subscribe and look forward to Ep2, hoping this is not abandoned.
It has slave as in the world has actual slavery in a non-sexual way.

Reactions: santiago_campanella

tha

May 30, 2017
this is probably the most impressive early releases ive played on this site. its very rare that a game makes me laugh out loud this often while also still actually building an interesting world and story. im really looking forward to what the dev cooks up with this next. godspeed gary.

Cherubin25

Nov 7, 2020
Really strong start so far!

Story is interesting and the characters are enjoyable. I also really like the humor and totally dig the Yu-Gi-Oh! reference with Maxx "C".

sergerserj

Jul 2, 2021
Wow. Just finish it. Not often a new game hits you so hard in a god way. Even this silly and dumb Developers appears make it nor bad, but unique. I hope Dev got all irl issues sorted out and continues to create this potential masterpiece.

Reactions: weezal
4.70 star(s) 63 Votes